Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The Constant And Somewhat Tedious Continuous Comparison Of Our Players

Read 2117 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      The Constant And Somewhat Tedious Continuous Comparison Of Our Players
      Sep 11, 2011 11:33:51 pm
      Firstly I'm gonna point out here and now that I've been guilty of comparing our players, more so to standards past players have set as opposed to ability. For example I'd say things along the lines of "central midfielder should be chipping in with a few goals the way Souness, Terry Mc, McMahon, Molby did". Rather than "he should be passing a ball like Molby used to".

Secondly, I remember so many people harp on about how we couldn't compare Lucas to Alonso. How that simply wasn't allowed because Lucas weren't this, that or the other but he was x, y and z at things Xabi weren't. I've just seen people compare Lucas to Adam as a way of bigging Lucas up. It's mind boggling at times it really is.

One that really gets on me tits, and is quite apparent on this forum at times, is the obsession with other club's players. How Dzeko compares to Carroll, how Nani compares to Kuyt, how Modric compares to Adam. So F***ing what. We're Liverpool fans aren't we? So rather than concentrating on what others have - concentrate on the good we have. It isn't always greenier on the other side. And jealousy, envy and bitterness are traits that are meant to set us apart from other fans. Not sure it does anymore.

Can't we just each player on their own individual merit as opposed to having to have him compared to someone else - either to big him up or use it as a stick to beat him with. Just concentrate on that player when discussing that player because each player is different in their game. By and large, each will have better traits than whoever you're comparing them to (cue the smart arse to compare Maradona to Poulsen or some pointless post like that). So it's a waste of time really. And as soon as the comparison is pulled up to show the other players trait as better, it becomes an argument as the poster will make out they're not discussing that.

This will fall on deaf ears, and I've just wasted time typing it out, but so what. I needed to get it off me chest rather than just rant and ruin a thread that already existed. I'll let others ruin this one. Probably need a rant thread in the Arkles board or something where you can just go and let steam off by things that annoy you as opposed to being "extremely pissed off".

And no doubt within this thread somebody will compare two players. But F**k it, it's been said now. Carry on posting (starring Sid James, Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jacques) and in the words of the very annoying adverts - go compare.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: The Constant And Somewhat Tedious Continuous Comparison Of Our Players
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2011 04:34:42 am
      Good post.

People take a lot for granted in life. Lots of these people support Liverpool FC. It is our job to guide them to the correct, the Liverpool way of thinking, with respect. It is not the Liverpool way to reign down on our players with your negativity and personal feelings and anger, you do not add anything positive by doing this. I've seen people call Dalglish a "f**king idiot" for match day decisions he makes. What the f**k? Who sits at their computer as a respecting Liverpool supporter and calls our manager a f**king idiot simply because he didn't read your mind and make the sub you wanted? Who cares what you think? This club will always be bigger than you. Life is bigger than you. Learn your place or support another club, this one is for the best supporters in the world to love the Liverbird.

I hear sh*t like "I've been through enough to be negative" "I know not to have unrealistic expectations". Just know you don't offer anything positive to the club or the supporters by venting and then justifying it.

I'm not a religious person btw. Everyone knows there's "something" about Liverpool and I think this is it. The mentality that cannot be erased by the FA or billions of dollars or Hicks and Gillette or Man City or our own supporters. But we're losing it to a new crowd of football fans who expect the best and complain when it doesn't happen fast, and the only way to ensure it stays is to uphold it like nothing else. If you're a part of the MTV crowd go support Tottenham or something!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2011 09:03:53 am
       Good points Billy,I also think people should remember how the game has changed from decade to decade,as an example i will go to our keeper Reina and a goalkeeping hero of the past Clemence.Now the 2 of them are/were fantastic keepers but the game they play or played is totally different.The one thing that did not change for me was Chris Lawler he was the original forward playing fullback and he had the goals to prove it.That just shows how far ahead of their time  Shanks and Lawler were.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2011 12:18:10 pm
      I think most people compare players when they argue merit as it means they don't then have to give an in depth analysis of their argument. Rather than arguing that Adam's creativity is better when he has time on the ball and he doesn't have vision to release a ball quickly under pressure or suck the defending player into a giving away a free kick, posters would rather say something along the lines of Adam is more like Carrick in so far as he is a poor man's Alonso.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: Sep 13, 2011 12:33:48 am
      Nearly all footballing debates you will ever hear in the pubs will involve discussion and comparison with previous players.

People's knowledge of football is based on what they have seen in the past - what they have seen work and not work.  To talk about football without having something to compare it to makes it very difficult.

I agree that fans should remember that no player is a carbon copy clone of others - but fans will always analyse players based on what they have seen before.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Sep 13, 2011 12:50:31 am
      Good post.

Who cares what you think? This club will always be bigger than you. Life is bigger than you. Learn your place or support another club, this one is for the best supporters in the world to love the Liverbird.

I'm not a religious person btw. Everyone knows there's "something" about Liverpool and I think this is it. The mentality that cannot be erased by the FA or billions of dollars or Hicks and Gillette or Man City or our own supporters. But we're losing it to a new crowd of football fans who expect the best and complain when it doesn't happen fast, and the only way to ensure it stays is to uphold it like nothing else. If you're a part of the MTV crowd go support Tottenham or something!

Well said !

Good points Billy,I also think people should remember how the game has changed from decade to decade,as an example I will go to our keeper Reina and a goalkeeping hero of the past Clemence.Now the 2 of them are/were fantastic keepers but the game they play or played is totally different.The one thing that did not change for me was Chris Lawler he was the original forward playing fullback and he had the goals to prove it.That just shows how far ahead of their time  Shanks and Lawler were.

and Billy ... Thompson and Cally ......the wingers who tormented as we are today "rediscovering".
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: Sep 13, 2011 12:55:50 am
      A very thought provoking thread DLS.  Your posting style reminds me of..... oh... nevermind ;D

Seriously though, I think comparison is inevitable.

What is annoying is when it is done without context, comparing Carroll and Aguero's fee (ignoring wages and the different positions in the window etc) or when people compare our players to other players who are working in a different system. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,023 posts | 3352 
      Reply #7: Sep 13, 2011 01:05:55 am
      Nearly all footballing debates you will ever hear in the pubs will involve discussion and comparison with previous players.

People's knowledge of football is based on what they have seen in the past - what they have seen work and not work.  To talk about football without having something to compare it to makes it very difficult.

I agree that fans should remember that no player is a carbon copy clone of others - but fans will always analyse players based on what they have seen before.

So do you think mate, people can't discuss Adam without comparing him to Lucas, Alonso, Carrick, Lampard, Beckenbaur and some kid who plays on Picton Park on a Sunday afternoon? Is it genuinely that difficult to take Charlie Adam, or any player for that matter, on his own merit? Can people not take a players individual game and comment on it without having to big up or rubbish said player by bringing another player into the argument?

I know people will compare, that much is a given. But it is more the tedious comparisons that get on me tits. And certainly comparing other clubs to our own. That grinds on me something rotten. When did other clubs, and their players, become our benchmark?
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #8: Sep 13, 2011 01:08:29 am
      So do you think mate, people can't discuss Adam without comparing him to Lucas, Alonso, Carrick, Lampard, Beckenbaur and some kid who plays on Picton Park on a Sunday afternoon?

I think some people struggle to type "Adam" without instinctively following it with "isn't as good as Aquilani or Meireles"
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #9: Sep 13, 2011 01:16:00 am
      It gets boring. Every player has his high point that sets him apart from the rest.

How many threads have been recycled about how Carragher may be past it?

Generally just tired of the intense trashing of our players: Carroll, Kuyt, Adam and 'em!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Sep 13, 2011 08:56:09 am
      Well said !

and Billy ... Thompson and Cally ......the wingers who tormented as we are today "rediscovering".
      Memories are made of this Skip,what exciting times at Anfield over the years.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #11: Sep 13, 2011 08:51:03 pm
      Liverpool Football Club is an Institution !!..
      Photographs of our past players who gave everything for the club over our 119 year history sit proudly on the walls of the corridors in and around our stadium/museum and the memories linger and taste sweet each time you see that player in the frame..Now don't get me wrong the game has changed from the strips , the big lace up boots, the medicine ball headers,the goalkeeper back passes and the bone crunching tackles of yesteryear but the overwhelming pride of pulling on the Red Jersey has always been paramount to the manager when selecting his first 11...so if a player gives the slightest indication that he's not happy , he may put his arm around him and try and sort the problem with words of encouragement but if the players hearts not in it then you let him move on..unfortunately or Fortunately which ever way you see it the EPL is now full of foreign players who may or may not adapt to the city they move too.
      I now live outside the city and have done for 25 years but I know for a fact that the people of Liverpool have always sung their names, welcomed and supported the new editions to the squad and helped them all settle down with their families etc.
      I'm not really interested in what Rio Ferdinand is twattering on about,whether Modric is worth £40m or how much Wayne Rooney paid for his new rug or even if Torres & Meireles are enjoying life at Chelski , what matters to me , and judging by the happy photo's some of the lads are posting up in the picture thread , is the family , institutional atmosphere in and around my club...
      I'm focused on how we are performing and from what i'm seeing these days i'm very happy......
      sorry bout the long post...but it does say tedious in the title ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,260 posts | 4933 
      Reply #12: Sep 13, 2011 11:53:21 pm
      So do you think mate, people can't discuss Adam without comparing him to Lucas, Alonso, Carrick, Lampard, Beckenbaur and some kid who plays on Picton Park on a Sunday afternoon? Is it genuinely that difficult to take Charlie Adam, or any player for that matter, on his own merit? Can people not take a players individual game and comment on it without having to big up or rubbish said player by bringing another player into the argument?

I know people will compare, that much is a given. But it is more the tedious comparisons that get on me tits. And certainly comparing other clubs to our own. That grinds on me something rotten. When did other clubs, and their players, become our benchmark?

I can see where your coming from mate in that people will say Adam is a good player but not as good as Alonso, Modric or whoever they compare him too instead of just saying Adam is a very good player and say what he will bring to the team.

The point about comparing our players to other teams is a good one as I also tend to focus on our players and how they are playing for us instead of comparing them to others but I will also look to see if any players will strengthen our team.

Quick Reply