Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 462675 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Chelsea years)
      Reply #4922: Mar 20, 2014 02:50:24 pm
      I'm assuming his side of the story has something to do with us promising him to be ambition in bringing in top players to help him out and then selling him out on that promise. Although, it's hard to see that side of the story when we brought in Suarez (and I believe his arrival was in the cards prior to Torres being allowed to leave) which would have made our attack one of the most feared in the premier league. Which ironically it has become anyway ;D

Maybe he was promised a big contract and wasn't given one?

Either way it probably worked out for the best, even though I really was upset to see him go.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #4923: Mar 20, 2014 03:02:30 pm
      He's such a bi*ch though, probably why he's never done anything at chelsea. If he feels so strongly about how things ended at Liverpool let the fans know the full story and to hell with any gagging order, he's got more money than sense anyway. His problem is he had his arse wiped for him for too long, never learned how to think or be true to himself
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #4924: Mar 20, 2014 03:11:55 pm
      The club was well happy with the financial results of his departure - end of.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4925: Mar 20, 2014 03:28:12 pm
      Just wants to be dramatic. He got a massive contract a massive signing on fee and of course said: ""But, as I said before, I can say I'm a Chelsea player now. I'm really happy and I'm sure I am doing one big step forward in my career joining a club like Chelsea."

So stop talking bollocks Fernando you're just gutted that your career has gone down the pan on a personal sense. Yes you've got the winners medals but you didn't really contribute anything did you and you've become a bit of a laughing stock when even your own manager recently came out and said he didn't have any strikers.

Get over it.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #4926: Mar 20, 2014 03:47:14 pm
      Just wants to be dramatic. He got a massive contract a massive signing on fee and of course said: ""But, as I said before, I can say I'm a Chelsea player now. I'm really happy and I'm sure I am doing one big step forward in my career joining a club like Chelsea."

So stop talking bollocks Fernando you're just gutted that your career has gone down the pan on a personal sense. Yes you've got the winners medals but you didn't really contribute anything did you and you've become a bit of a laughing stock when even your own manager recently came out and said he didn't have any strikers.

Get over it.

Exactly kopiteluke. I still remember the "finally I have joined a big club" part. I was gutted for a month.

If he really felt at home, why did he not wear a black armband for the 96 when they played spuds at wembley in the 2012 FA cup? Do one Nando.

We loved him so much then and that's why we hate him now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #4927: Mar 20, 2014 04:00:50 pm
      Being loaned out should get the message through to the wopper.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4928: Mar 20, 2014 06:53:32 pm
      Still got this fantasy going on in his head then. How about he says what the apparent reason for him leaving is instead of just constantly saying "the fans don't know the truth" etc.

No time for him, he was a top player for us and a player we loved but Suarez is a much better player than Torres ever was for us. Torres would sulk around the pitch and have no influence if things weren't going his way, Suarez will be grafting 110% until the final whistle.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4929: Mar 20, 2014 08:01:33 pm
      The club was well happy with the financial results of his departure - end of.

To be fair Stuey most supporters were well happy also, and it turned out to be one of the biggest flops in transfer history.

Sadly we are on that list also with our own candidate for biggest flop.

That money and both sides of that deal were tainted that's for sure.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4930: Mar 21, 2014 12:57:44 am
      Torres: Benitez taught me everything at Liverpool

by Steven Deeks

20th March 2014 11:44pm GMT

Fernando Torres has praised former coach Rafael Benitez for turning him into a top player.

The Spanish striker was signed by his compatriot for Liverpool where he netted 65 goals in 102 Premier League appearances in three-and-a-half years.

Torres arguably had the best spell of his career under now Napoli boss Benitez before the 30-year-old decided to join Chelsea in a British record £50m move in January 2011, which has seen him struggle after only scoring 19 goals in 103 appearances.

Benitez manged Torres once again last season for the Blues when he was interim manager, though even the arch tactician was unable to rejuvenate the striker to the standard of his former glories.

But Torres believes Benitez's influence had the biggest impact on his career. "Rafa was a turning point in my career," he told AS.

"I went from a player who plays football to a player who understands football and begins to apply the best of himself for the good of the team. He taught me how to think about football, not just play.”

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/43894-torres-benitez-taught-me-everything-at-liverpool.php#.UyuOpJVF05t

Obviously Rafa's fault Torres is crap :)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4931: Mar 21, 2014 08:41:02 am
      Once he hangs up his boots or as soon as he's away from Chelsea it won't be long before you hear his biggest regret in football was leaving Liverpool FC, in a sense I feel sorry for him in that way, he made a decision that with the benefit of hindsight he'd probably never have made, you can tell he's full of regrets, its the equivalent of leaving your bird that idolises and dotes on you to go with one that fucks around and doesn't give a toss about you.

I don't doubt if he had the chance to take that career defining decision again, he'd do things differently, its sort of what Suarez is finding out now, there is no support or idolisation that comes close to the support and idolisation that you find at Liverpool FC, it can give you the confidence and happiness to really raise your game.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #4932: Mar 21, 2014 09:53:36 am
      He made the right decision to leave Liverpool when he did, but probably joined the wrong club. Even though he's won plenty of medals at Chelsea, I don't think he has ever really felt part of it all.

And his goals record there is pretty poor. So while he's had success at Chelsea, he knows - as we all know - that he was at his very best in Red.

30 now. He's deffo back off to Spain in summer.

Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #4933: Mar 22, 2014 06:01:42 pm
      Martin Skrtel has scored more goals than him this season; says it all really.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #4934: Mar 22, 2014 08:04:53 pm
      Sturridge : Torres persuaded me to join Liverpool

Sturridge moved to Anfield in January 2013 for around £12 million, and has helped spearhead the club's title charge this season with 18 league goals.

And he said that Torres' love for the Reds played a major role in his decision to leave Chelsea.

"[Torres] always spoke very highly about Liverpool," he told the Daily Mail.

"When we were at Chelsea together he would say, 'Liverpool are amazing'. It wasn't just him, it was Yossi Benayoun as well. They both said, 'That club is the best I have played for'.

"They said the fans will make you feel amazing and, at the time, I thought I need a bit of that in my life because I was low right then.

"I need to feel good about myself, so it was an easy decision to come here. My dad, my uncle and I all shared the same opinion: this was the best place to go.

"When Liverpool came in, it was one of those situations that I just wanted to get up the M6 as quickly as possible, sign on the dotted line and get to work.

"I was desperate to get here and show what I could do. I was hungry and I am still hungry. There is so much for us to achieve."
      Sturridge joined Manchester City as a 13-year-old in 2003 but never established himself as a first-team regular, which lead to a move to Chelsea in 2009.

And he insists that all he has ever wanted was the opportunity to play football, rather than a big pay packet.

"Maybe because I played for City and Chelsea, people think, 'Oh he has played for big clubs', but I have always chased to play," he added.

"I want to be successful, I'm a winner and I've always wanted to win - but it's not about sitting on the bench, it's not about watching from the sidelines and earning money and being content. It's about playing, living your dream, winning medals and leaving the pitch with a smile on your face.

"People think I got loads of money at City and left for Chelsea to chase more money. They said 'he's a money grabber' yet they were the richest club in the world, so how was I chasing the money when I was leaving them?"

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/03/22/4701033/sturridge-torres-persuaded-me-to-join-liverpool

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #4935: Mar 22, 2014 09:21:59 pm
      Thanks Nando :)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4936: Mar 22, 2014 10:08:01 pm
      Just found this chant posted on a YouTube video, thought it was pretty funny so thought I'd share. Dunno if it's an official chant or anything or whether he's made it up but seems pretty decent.

"We bought the lad from Uruguay, Suarez, Suarez We used to have a judas c**t, Torres, Torres He stabbed us with a F***ing knife, I hope John Terry shags your wife Fernando Torres judas number 9."

10/10 for me :D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4937: Mar 22, 2014 11:56:09 pm
      Torres peaked at Liverpool. If he stayed loyal he'd still make a good 3rd choice striker. Doesn't matter anymore.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #4938: Mar 23, 2014 11:47:02 am
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4939: Mar 23, 2014 11:54:23 am

It's an oldie, and has been posted before, but just shows how crass Chelsea are.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #4940: Apr 21, 2014 10:03:54 am
      Going back to Athletico tomorrow.

On a side note:
      Liverpool: 2007-2011,      102 appearances (65 goals)
      Chelsea:   2011-present, 107 (19)
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #4941: Apr 21, 2014 10:12:58 am
      It's an oldie, and has been posted before, but just shows how crass Chelsea are.

Similarly an oldie RP, but this one still makes me grin. My little lad thinks it's hilarious.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhnZxFudwz4
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #4942: Apr 21, 2014 10:17:21 am
      Quality, never seen that before.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #4943: Apr 22, 2014 04:28:30 am
      Torres had already started his fall from grace in the season he left us, he suddenly developed an ego and got in the mindset that he doesn't have to try anymore but will still play well, he was turning into a player that thought he was undroppable and bigger than the club. That's why he jumped ship to Chelsea, thinking he was too good for us, reality is though he probably knew that with Suarez there he wasn't going to be undroppable anymore.

I remember Torres' form being a major factor in our decline in '09-10, owing likely to a leg/knee injury on the back end of '08-09. He rushed/forced his recuperation to make the Spain team and played a sh!t world cup, then played a sh!t half-season for us then said something akin to, "Liverpool need time [ostensibly to get back into CL]; I haven't got it".

Chavski seemed to assume that he was just finding his way through a patch of unusually sh!t form, hence the c*nts were so eager to roll out a 50m red carpet for the Torres of 2007-2009. If you ask me, no player in the world would leave LFC in the manner of Torres and watch what has unfolded without serious regrets.

Totally agree that him and Luis wouldn't have hit it off
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #4944: Apr 22, 2014 09:07:28 am
      Going back to Athletico tomorrow.

On a side note:
      Liverpool: 2007-2011,      102 appearances (65 goals)
      Chelsea:   2011-present, 107 (19)

Seems weird he's played more games for them than us.

Quick Reply