Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 462443 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)
      Reply #5152: Aug 16, 2016 06:26:01 pm
      Very important take regarding his departure which was a lot more complex than first thought. I sympathise with him after reading this.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/08/liverpool-and-fernando-torres-the-real-story-behind-the-number-nines-anfield-exit/
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5153: Aug 16, 2016 06:42:06 pm
      Very important take regarding his departure which was a lot more complex than first thought. I sympathise with him after reading this.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/08/liverpool-and-fernando-torres-the-real-story-behind-the-number-nines-anfield-exit/

Don't think it really says much. Basically get the impression he wasn't prepared to play in  team with FSG's transfer strategy because in his eyes, he was getting on a bit and wanted to win trophies. Though I have no doubt seeing the likes of Masch sold and replaced by the likes of Poulsen played a big part which we all agree was F***ing moronic. Rafa had been given the boot and replaced by Woy which led to such transfers. As I type this it's no wonder he felt he had to go elsewhere to win trophies.
      No doubt he regrets it though, especially seeing how good Suarez was for us and knowing he threw away the chance of being part of that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5154: Aug 16, 2016 08:06:05 pm

He wanted to go - he did. He should try to stop spinning it as though he was pushed out against his will.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5155: Aug 16, 2016 09:09:49 pm
      F**k him. He can't have it both ways, in one breath he says he was 27, wanted to win and didn't have time to wait (I.e he wanted to leave), but in the next complains that the club had begun negotiations and he wasn't presented in the best light.

He was presented as a traitor because he moved to the F***ing chavs who have continually thrown disgusting slurs at our club, so after all his proclamations about loving the club and fans it was all bullshit, he used us to get closer to his goals. That's fine by me but don't lie about it.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #5156: Aug 16, 2016 09:44:36 pm
      Torres can suck my balls! If you want to leave due to FSG's lack of ambition, then fair enough, but you don't move on deadline day  (for obvious reasons) and you certainly don't move to one of our rivals!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #5157: Aug 17, 2016 03:53:52 pm
      Don't really get the bitterness that still exists. Yes, Torres wanted to leave, but remember the club was in a really bad place at the time too. Careers are short, remember.

Plus, Torres was crocked, never recovered, and is not even close to the player he once was. That's been punishment enough.

And we still got £50m for him! It's not his fault we ejaculated £35m of it for Andy f**king Carroll.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #5158: Aug 18, 2016 02:25:50 pm
      He wanted to go - he did. He should try to stop spinning it as though he was pushed out against his will.

And FSG were only too happy to sell!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #5159: Aug 18, 2016 03:10:43 pm

And why did he want to go? Because he was lied to and used as a pawn. Everyone gave Suarez a free pass for wanting to move on...said he deserve to play where he could win some trophies. Well...Torres then deserved the same and guess what...he won trophies. I bet he'd have loved to have stayed and done it with us, but that obviously wasn't going to happen. Suarez tried to force a move to Arsenal and then he bit someone to get his move to Barca and he's still a hero. Torres went the only place he could go because as usual, LFC are garbage at transfer business. They knew they were going to move him, but they waited too long and there was no one left willing to pay what we wanted other than the Chavs.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5160: Aug 18, 2016 03:24:44 pm
      Torres can suck my balls! If you want to leave due to FSG's lack of ambition, then fair enough, but you don't move on deadline day  (for obvious reasons) and you certainly don't move to one of our rivals!

Not sure it was Torres fault that he moved on deadline day mate. Liverpool finally agreed a fee of £35million with Chelsea but said Torres could only go when we got a replacement. We bid for Llorrett and someone else from abroad (can't remember who now) but neither would come. So by this time both Liverpool AND Chelsea were getting desperate. Hence we got our pants pulled down by Newcastle while we were busy pulling Chelsea's pants down with the infamous £15million differential.

Clubs dictate when players leave.

As for selling to our rivals we don't seem to have much of a problem unless it's the mancs.  Benayoun , Mireles and Torres all went to Chelsea.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5161: Aug 18, 2016 03:58:36 pm
      I don't really care  in the end it was his choice he could have said no. I am more concerned with the Liverpool team today
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #5162: Aug 18, 2016 04:01:56 pm
      And FSG were only too happy to sell!!

Of course they were. They were offered 50m for somebody playing poorly and on the decline.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5163: Aug 18, 2016 04:40:57 pm
      It's funny how some people like to pretend that Torres didn't say what he did upon joining Chelsea.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5164: Aug 18, 2016 05:17:09 pm
      And why did he want to go? Because he was lied to and used as a pawn. Everyone gave Suarez a free pass for wanting to move on...said he deserve to play where he could win some trophies. Well...Torres then deserved the same and guess what...he won trophies. I bet he'd have loved to have stayed and done it with us, but that obviously wasn't going to happen. Suarez tried to force a move to Arsenal and then he bit someone to get his move to Barca and he's still a hero. Torres went the only place he could go because as usual, LFC are garbage at transfer business. They knew they were going to move him, but they waited too long and there was no one left willing to pay what we wanted other than the Chavs.

The fact some people still believe Suarez bit someone to force a move away is pathetic. Suarez is a winner, he wants to win at all costs, look how he was when we missed out on the title, he was crying so why the hell would he all of a sudden think "I know, to get a move away to Barca I will bite someone" whilst leaving is country without him on the biggest stage of them all, the World Cup, where he has already taken one for his team by hand balling it on the line to stop a goal.

People need to get it out of their heads he bit someone to get a move away from us.

Also ultimately he didn't go to Arsenal, Torres did however go to Chelsea. He could have easily of gone abroad if he was that desperate to get away, he could have waited until the summer and given Kenny a chance, see how we got on with Suarez in the team but he didn't, he went to Chelsea Football Club and then said there isn't a level above Chelsea. Basically he done a big f**k off to us.

It's not a case of anyone getting a free ride but for the reasons above and the fact that Suarez, like majority of South Americans, wanted Barca in his career. Torres wanted Chelsea. There's a difference, a massive difference.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5165: Aug 18, 2016 05:26:02 pm
      When I went to Stevie's charity game at Anfield and seen how happy Torres was to hear the Torres song from The Kop I decided to let it go.

He knows.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #5166: Aug 18, 2016 06:37:44 pm
      It's funny how some people like to pretend that Torres didn't say what he did upon joining Chelsea.

Like he thought that up all by himself!! F***ing behave, pure Chelsea PR that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5167: Aug 18, 2016 06:40:35 pm
      The fact some people still believe Suarez bit someone to force a move away is pathetic. Suarez is a winner, he wants to win at all costs, look how he was when we missed out on the title, he was crying so why the hell would he all of a sudden think "I know, to get a move away to Barca I will bite someone" whilst leaving is country without him on the biggest stage of them all, the World Cup, where he has already taken one for his team by hand balling it on the line to stop a goal.

People need to get it out of their heads he bit someone to get a move away from us.

Also ultimately he didn't go to Arsenal, Torres did however go to Chelsea. He could have easily of gone abroad if he was that desperate to get away, he could have waited until the summer and given Kenny a chance, see how we got on with Suarez in the team but he didn't, he went to Chelsea Football Club and then said there isn't a level above Chelsea. Basically he done a big f**k off to us.

It's not a case of anyone getting a free ride but for the reasons above and the fact that Suarez, like majority of South Americans, wanted Barca in his career. Torres wanted Chelsea. There's a difference, a massive difference.

Groningen; took the club to arbitration to force a move

Ajax; bit a player, got a big move

Liverpool; bit 2 players got a big move

Not content with that, he went into pressers as soon as he got with his National team saying how much he wanted a move.
      Twice.

He has form, he has history, but yeah, it's "pathetic" for anyone to suggest he has form in this regard even though history shows differently.

You can believe what you want, and to be honest I don't really care, but to call others pathetic for having a different opinion is a bit off, don't you think?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5168: Aug 18, 2016 07:29:03 pm
      Like he thought that up all by himself!! F***ing behave, pure Chelsea PR that.

Apart from the fact he implicitly made the same point in the book regarding what was 'best for his career'...no Chelsea PR there!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5169: Aug 18, 2016 07:47:28 pm
      You can believe what you want, and to be honest I don't really care, but to call others pathetic for having a different opinion is a bit off, don't you think?

For someone that doesn't care you sure are getting hot under the collar.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5170: Aug 18, 2016 08:14:28 pm
      For someone that doesn't care you sure are getting hot under the collar.

Who's getting hot under the collar?
      Certainly not me.
      Saying that is just another one of those silly internet things that people do when they can't answer a simple question or have no case to put forth.

Frankly, it's just complete silliness, as is the habit of taking one part of a post and using it out of context to try and "prove" something which doesn't actually exist.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5171: Aug 18, 2016 08:38:11 pm
      Who's getting hot under the collar?
      Certainly not me.
      Saying that is just another one of those silly internet things that people do when they can't answer a simple question or have no case to put forth.

Frankly, it's just complete silliness, as is the habit of taking one part of a post and using it out of context to try and "prove" something which doesn't actually exist.

Okay, I will humour you.

Groningen; took the club to arbitration to force a move

Not the first player to do it and wont be the last, but he didn't bite someone or do anything on the pitch to force a move now did he, something that would hamper his teams chances of winning.
      As it goes, Suarez lost the case for a move to be forced but straight after it he was sold when Ajax doubled their offer so it suggests they were always prepared to sell him given the right offer.

Ajax; bit a player, got a big move

Bit a player whilst playing for Ajax in mid Novermber. Left Ajax at the end of January. He only wanted to leave Ajax once De Boer took over the managerial reigns in December and stripped him of the captaincy (a month after the biting incident). So biting a player was hardly something he done deliberately to get a bigger move elsewhere now is it lad, no matter how you want to dress it up.
      In fact biting a player is less likely to get you a move to a big club, no teams were really in for him then so a bigger team would hardly have thought "yes! he's bit a player, getting a nice ban, lets go and sign him".

I have nothing else to say on the matter as I feel I said all I needed to in my earlier post, I have nothing else to answer from your post because like I said, I feel it's all covered in the earlier post. You can continue if you wish though.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5172: Aug 18, 2016 08:50:44 pm
      Okay, I will humour you.

Not the first player to do it and wont be the last, but he didn't bite someone or do anything on the pitch to force a move now did he, something that would hamper his teams chances of winning.
      As it goes, Suarez lost the case for a move to be forced but straight after it he was sold when Ajax doubled their offer so it suggests they were always prepared to sell him given the right offer.

Bit a player whilst playing for Ajax in mid Novermber. Left Ajax at the end of January. He only wanted to leave Ajax once De Boer took over the managerial reigns in December and stripped him of the captaincy (a month after the biting incident). So biting a player was hardly something he done deliberately to get a bigger move elsewhere now is it lad, no matter how you want to dress it up.
      In fact biting a player is less likely to get you a move to a big club, no teams were really in for him then so a bigger team would hardly have thought "yes! he's bit a player, getting a nice ban, lets go and sign him".

I have nothing else to say on the matter as I feel I said all I needed to in my earlier post, I have nothing else to answer from your post because like I said, I feel it's all covered in the earlier post. You can continue if you wish though.

You can hold whatever opinion you like, and if you want to debate it, I'll happily do so, but how can there be a debate when you say that any opinion regarding Suarez engineering a move is "pathetic".
      Those were your words, and the only issue I have here.
      You can believe whatever you like, and I'll respect your opinion.
      The point remains however, that you called other people's opinion pathetic because you disagreed; that's my one and only issue.
      If I came out and said your opinion was "pathetic", I think you'd have some strong words to say about it, so why is it OK for you to do it?

That's all I'm saying, but you've tried to turn the issue away from that and onto something entirely unrelated.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5173: Aug 18, 2016 08:59:03 pm
      You can hold whatever opinion you like, and if you want to debate it, I'll happily do so, but how can there be a debate when you say that any opinion regarding Suarez engineering a move is "pathetic".
      Those were your words, and the only issue I have here.
      You can believe whatever you like, and I'll respect your opinion.
      The point remains however, that you called other people's opinion pathetic because you disagreed; that's my one and only issue.
      If I came out and said your opinion was "pathetic", I think you'd have some strong words to say about it, so why is it OK for you to do it?

That's all I'm saying, but you've tried to turn the issue away from that and onto something entirely unrelated.

Like I said, you sure are getting hot under the collar and taking this personally. FL knows it's nothing personal, he's had pops at my posts in the past and vice versa, neither of us get as worked up over it as you are right now. Strange for someone who "doesn't care".
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5174: Aug 18, 2016 09:02:45 pm
      Like I said, you sure are getting hot under the collar.

Like I said, you just won't address the issue, and all the obfuscation in the world won't change that.

I'll ask once more directly, call it "humouring me" again if it makes you feel better; why is it OK for you to call other people's opinion "pathetic", when if the same was said to you, you'd no doubt have an issue with it?

It's not a difficult question, and if you feel that others are "pathetic" for having a different opinion, it should be easy for you to defend.

Quick Reply