Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 462407 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)
      Reply #5221: Mar 02, 2017 10:39:35 pm
      Was real pissed at his departure but wish him no harm glad the guy is ok .

Agreed.

Was furious but over time and his poor form at Chelsea made the pill easier and easier to swallow and by the time he left there I actually started to like him a little again which I certainly didn't think possible.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5222: Mar 02, 2017 10:40:45 pm
      Really? Yeah just in reference to the term as you lads are discussing it, the reason it's life-threatening is that it cuts off the airway but you probably knew that anyway.

I actually read it was was a brain trauma that caused him to go unconscious, but in any case the signs are looking good for him:

Andrew Gaffney‏Verified account @GaffneyVLC  4m4 minutes ago
      Andrew Gaffney Retweeted Atlético de Madrid
      Even better news on Torres. He's had a scan on neck & back and there's no injuries. He'll remain in hospital under observation.

Get well soon 'nando.

Yeah watched the video of it just now and the Atletico players had their hands in his mouth straight away as a Deportivo player (I think it was) signalled for the medics straight away. Looked nasty, there was the collision with the player and then he smacked his head on the deck too. Going to hurt in the morning, not surprised in the slightest that he was out cold
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5223: Mar 02, 2017 10:43:15 pm
      Agreed.

Was furious but over time and his poor form at Chelsea made the pill easier and easier to swallow and by the time he left there I actually started to like him a little again which I certainly didn't think possible.

Still can't stand him personally and great to see how his career has gone down the pan but never want to be seeing that happen, could easily have been the end of him in that split second.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #5224: Mar 02, 2017 10:45:32 pm
      Striker Fernando Torres is "conscious and stable" in hospital after suffering a serious head injury in Atletico Madrid's 1-1 draw with Deportivo.

The ex-Liverpool and Chelsea striker fell heavily after an 85th-minute aerial challenge by Alex Bergantinos.

The Spain international, 32, appeared to be unconscious while being tended by his team-mates, then Atletico medics.

"Torres was taken to hospital for tests. He will spend the night under observation," Atletico tweeted.

The visitors finished with 10 men, having used all three substitutes, but earned a point thanks to Antoine Griezmann's stunning 30-yard strike.

Deportivo had taken an early lead in Pepe Mel's first game in charge when Florin Andone capitalised on a poor Jan Oblak goal kick.

The draw leaves Atletico fourth in La Liga - 11 adrift of leaders Barcelona - while Deportivo are now 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TwKDuj1GiI
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #5225: Mar 02, 2017 10:48:14 pm
      Agreed.

Is right it still goes on in my head the Torres bounce the song the great goals and yet we won nothing and failed to capitalise on a real great striker  , althought we didnt win anything with him they were real happy days watching him strut around anfield and light the place up .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,350 posts | 1627 
      Reply #5226: Mar 02, 2017 10:55:16 pm
      On a more serious note dont put your fingers in someone's mouth who u suspect this has happened too as they could have a spasm causing the victim to bite your fingers off always try to use an object to release their tongue .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #5227: Mar 02, 2017 10:55:35 pm
      Nasty...still love him for what he gave to us...

YNWA kiddo.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #5228: Mar 02, 2017 10:56:01 pm
      damn happy to see it looks like he's o.k..was a sh*t challenge by the defender.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #5229: Mar 03, 2017 12:09:35 am
      Striker Fernando Torres is "conscious and stable" in hospital after suffering a serious head injury in Atletico Madrid's 1-1 draw with Deportivo.

The ex-Liverpool and Chelsea striker fell heavily after an 85th-minute aerial challenge by Alex Bergantinos.

The Spain international, 32, appeared to be unconscious while being tended by his team-mates, then Atletico medics.

"Torres was taken to hospital for tests. He will spend the night under observation," Atletico tweeted.

The visitors finished with 10 men, having used all three substitutes, but earned a point thanks to Antoine Griezmann's stunning 30-yard strike.

Deportivo had taken an early lead in Pepe Mel's first game in charge when Florin Andone capitalised on a poor Jan Oblak goal kick.

The draw leaves Atletico fourth in La Liga - 11 adrift of leaders Barcelona - while Deportivo are now 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TwKDuj1GiI

Ridiculous challenge. Defender should have been shown red immediately. 
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #5230: Mar 03, 2017 12:48:56 am
      Get well soon Fernando.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,148 posts | 258 
      Reply #5231: Mar 03, 2017 02:24:11 am
      Hope nothing serious and get well soon Fernando, YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5232: Mar 03, 2017 08:43:17 am
      It was sad to see Torres go down and it really looked serious,thankfully he appears to be okay.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5233: Mar 03, 2017 09:40:53 am
      Get well soon, Torres. Ynwa
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #5234: Mar 03, 2017 10:00:31 am
      Good luck to the fella, get well soon
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #5235: Mar 03, 2017 12:13:47 pm
      Ridiculous challenge. Defender should have been shown red immediately. 

Defender did F**k all wrong, it's football, not basketball!!

He goes up for the header, mis-judges, clashes heads with Nando, Nando comes off worse.

Guilliem saying on Sky Sports News Nando was knocked out for two minutes and swallowed his tongue, good to hear he's alright though.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5236: Mar 03, 2017 12:42:01 pm
      Glad hes okay. Looking back at hos time here and seeing where we are now, you begin to appreciate what he did for us.

The mediocrity we see now, and you begin to realise just why he and Suarez went on to further their careers elsewhere.

He carried the team alongside Gerrard.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5237: Mar 03, 2017 04:27:38 pm

Looked to me like he went knee first and straight through Torres, if I witnessed that challenge on any of our players id do my nut.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #5238: Mar 05, 2017 06:18:52 pm
      Looked to me like he went knee first and straight through Torres, if I witnessed that challenge on any of our players id do my nut.

Bollocks, just the way he jumps for the ball, most of the damage caused to Nando, is when his face bounces off the pitch.

I just can't be arsed crying about every incident of contact, don't want the sport turning into basketball!!

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #5239: Mar 05, 2017 08:31:36 pm
      Here's hoping he makes a swift recovery!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #5240: Apr 15, 2017 03:57:09 pm
      Fernando Torres on Football Focus:

What memories do you have of your time at Anfield?

Only good ones, it was a special place for me, I felt at home there and my son was born there. I probably played the best football of my career, I still follow Liverpool. Liverpool for me is part of my career, part of my life, part of my heart.
      I only have good words for them.

Can I ask you about your partnership with Steven Gerrard?

He was everything I needed on the pitch, I was a big fan of his before I went to Liverpool but playing alongside him was better than anything I expected, it was amazing and by far the best player I ever played with. I would pay to play with him again.

When you signed for Chelsea and were actually flying to London you said you felt empty

Yeah because when I left it was three and a half good years I was leaving, when Rafa and Alonso left what the owners (H&G) told the team was not true, they told us they would give us the tools to win. They were not building a team to win and I wanted to be with the best, I had to find my own way.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2017 04:29:40 pm by stuey »
      DanMann

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #5241: Apr 15, 2017 04:39:04 pm
      All is forgiven with Torres. Was fuming when he went to Chelsea, and in particular the circumstances. But time is the healer, and the great memories of his time with us are all that remain.

Consider Torres in much higher regard than Suarez.

All he has to do now is clarify those comments about delighted he was to finally play for a 'top club' Chelsea...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #5242: Apr 15, 2017 05:45:33 pm
      Love Nando, he and Gerrard were two big reasons I initially fell in love with the club.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #5243: Apr 15, 2017 05:58:35 pm

All he has to do now is clarify those comments about delighted he was to finally play for a 'top club' Chelsea...

I believe with this quote it may have been taken out of context as with Rafa's comments about the bitters in that he meant a club playing at a higher level at the time.

* Although Rafa was spot on in both senses tbf!

Quick Reply