Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 459405 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)
      Reply #5382: Nov 05, 2021 10:01:33 pm
      Still the last player that really was a kick in the guts when he left for me.

Ever since of they want to go I don't give a second thought but Torres struck hard.

he was special mate could win a game on his own and his old trafford goal sweet
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #5383: Nov 05, 2021 10:16:04 pm
      Nando Torres..... Liverpool's Number 9
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #5384: Nov 05, 2021 10:19:47 pm

Ever since of they want to go I don't give a second thought but Torres struck hard.

Feel the same. We’ve had many better players since he left but there was just something about Torres. Can’t really explain it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #5385: Nov 05, 2021 11:04:24 pm
      Torres was an excellent striker of the ball, scoring many important goals, for the Reds. His departure caused shock & anger at the time. Although nice to see fans still have fond memories of him.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #5386: Nov 06, 2021 12:20:32 pm

Same,and like you Torres leaving was the reason why I no longer get attached to players anymore ,break your heart in the end.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5387: Nov 06, 2021 12:36:31 pm
      Torres was the one player that left a horrible feeling in me…
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #5388: Nov 06, 2021 04:22:40 pm
      Torres was an excellent striker of the ball, scoring many important goals, for the Reds. His departure caused shock & anger at the time. Although nice to see fans still have fond memories of him.

Probably because he's admitted many times his regret over leaving us, and that he still loves the club. Taking part in charity games with us also helped heal some wounds.
      And unlike Suarez, Torres always was a likeable fella, which doesn't hurt.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5389: Nov 06, 2021 11:01:59 pm
      Probably because he's admitted many times his regret over leaving us, and that he still loves the club. Taking part in charity games with us also helped heal some wounds.
      And unlike Suarez, Torres always was a likeable fella, which doesn't hurt.

Like he had any decision in his leaving. We sold him!! Fsg funding the Suarez deal, Torres' injury he picked up in the World Cup ended him, just look at what followed, brief glimpses but never the real deal like he was with us. We cashed in at the right-time. It's only as fans we didn't see it at the time.

The post-signing interview with Chelsea TV was because he was hurt we sold him, you only have to look at his outburst with the hand-signal post match warm down at Wolves, something wasn't right.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #5390: Nov 19, 2021 10:19:57 pm
      Just watching his Prem Icon program and I forget sometimes how good he was , his turn of speed and finishing was unreal at times

Such a shame the knee injury ruined it all
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #5391: Nov 20, 2021 01:14:11 pm
      If only him and Stevie could have met two seasons earlier they were just  incredible together
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #5392: Dec 21, 2021 11:23:05 am
      Still love this guy. Legend in my eyes. One of the best to wear the no9. So many great memories.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #5393: Mar 01, 2022 03:02:06 am
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5394: Jul 04, 2022 09:17:27 am
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5395: Jul 04, 2022 09:18:14 am
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #5396: Jul 04, 2022 10:21:36 am
      Still my favourite signing in my recent memory ... though its a long time ago now.

So much excitement and he just glided past people ... strong ... decent in the air, great movement and tremendous finisher on both sides. Partnership with Gerrard was lethal. Miss nando alot and its always nice to see him back at anfield.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #5397: Jul 04, 2022 10:47:16 am

I missed this when you posted it in March, but it was interesting to hear his motivation to leave us. Thanks for sharing.  ;)

Looking back, I can understand why he did it. I still think he was wrong, Torres and Suarez together could have lifted us back to the top. But I can understand his point of view.
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #5398: Jul 04, 2022 07:37:32 pm
      I missed this when you posted it in March, but it was interesting to hear his motivation to leave us. Thanks for sharing.  ;)

Looking back, I can understand why he did it. I still think he was wrong, Torres and Suarez together could have lifted us back to the top. But I can understand his point of view.

I felt sorry for him watching it. I felt sorry for him in the end at Chelsea. They didn't deserve a player of his quality. He broke our hearts. But I understand why.

I've long since forgiven him. Unless you're c*nt like suarez and diouf I've no axe to grind with any ex red. Torres conducted himself with the utmost class from the day he walked into the club. And he was an amazing player who I look back on with the fondest of memories. One of the best is our Nando.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #5399: Jul 04, 2022 08:27:12 pm
      Obviously he had his injuries but I've never understood why the drop off in quality from him was so stark. Was there a particular injury that was worse than the others?
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #5400: Jul 04, 2022 08:52:40 pm
      At Chelsea the drop off was down to the fact he hated it there I think. He hated it in London ... and Chelsea, as much as they were challenging , were not liverpool , a club he had and always will have a massive connection to. They never realised how lucky they were to have a great player like him. They never warmed to him, got behind him.

Not a great environment to show your best. He got medals but he wasn't happy.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5401: Jul 05, 2022 01:41:01 pm
      Obviously he had his injuries but I've never understood why the drop off in quality from him was so stark. Was there a particular injury that was worse than the others?

That injury before end of World Cup final 2010 is the one that had the biggest effect on him, definitely wasn't the same after that and was in some way what led to us letting him go to Chelsea.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5402: Jul 05, 2022 01:42:26 pm
      At Chelsea the drop off was down to the fact he hated it there I think. He hated it in London ... and Chelsea, as much as they were challenging , were not liverpool , a club he had and always will have a massive connection to. They never realised how lucky they were to have a great player like him. They never warmed to him, got behind him.

Not a great environment to show your best. He got medals but he wasn't happy.

The drop off was to do with him not being the same player once the knee injury had an effect on his speed, same thing with Owen. Once they lost that speed they were fu**ed!

Quick Reply