Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 459321 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)
      Reply #5244: Apr 15, 2017 06:00:28 pm
      All is forgiven with Torres. Was fuming when he went to Chelsea, and in particular the circumstances. But time is the healer, and the great memories of his time with us are all that remain.

Consider Torres in much higher regard than Suarez.

All he has to do now is clarify those comments about delighted he was to finally play for a 'top club' Chelsea...

In a way he does explain that comment in the last paragraph, he was playing for a top team before Rafa and Alonso left. His doubts and the possibility of him leaving LFC were temporarily put on hold with the 'promise' from H&G that the team would be rebuilt.
      Maybe he was closer to the action and saw through the liars before the majority.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5245: Apr 16, 2017 09:30:32 pm
      In a way he does explain that comment in the last paragraph, he was playing for a top team before Rafa and Alonso left. His doubts and the possibility of him leaving LFC were temporarily put on hold with the 'promise' from H&G that the team would be rebuilt.
      Maybe he was closer to the action and saw through the liars before the majority.

Torres said when he left it was related to the new owners and the truth would follow. He's been right we've done nothing under these owners and have sold more key players under them than H&G
      I personally always loved Torres. He shouldn't have left for Chelsea that was his mistake but I'll always have a special place for him
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5246: Apr 17, 2017 12:01:02 am
      So he left because H&G promised to sign top players but failed. Okay, fair enough. Doesn't quite justify leaving about 2-3 months after FSG took over and had just signed Suarez with Dalglish in charge with Woy and H&G being no more though does it.

He thought the grass was greener at Stamford Bridge and used us as a stepping stone. If his move had been a success then he wouldn't have been saying about how he felt empty and whatever else about leaving us.

Still couldn't care less about him and it will never be forgiven.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5247: Apr 17, 2017 12:05:04 am
      So he left because H&G promised to sign top players but failed. Okay, fair enough. Doesn't quite justify leaving about 2-3 months after FSG took over and had just signed Suarez with Dalglish in charge though does it.

He thought the grass was greener at Stamford Bridge and used us as a stepping stone. If his move had been a success then he wouldn't have been saying about how he felt empty and whatever else about leaving us.

Yet you have a picture of Luis Suarez who would have taken us to court to join f***in Arsenal!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5248: Apr 17, 2017 12:08:57 am

Yet you have a picture of Luis Suarez who would have taken us to court to join f***in Arsenal!

Says the guy with a picture of Suarez under his name...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5249: Apr 17, 2017 12:11:40 am

:lmao:

He's a F***ing parody that Alfie lad! You couldn't make it up!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5250: Apr 17, 2017 12:12:02 am

Suarez was a dick said it before say it again but he was a sh*t hot player. Difference is I don't have double standards. Main difference is that Torres was seen to slight KK wheras Suarez could walk all over BR the man who made him the player he is
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5251: Apr 17, 2017 12:15:15 am
      Suarez was a dick said it before say it again but he was a sh*t hot player. Difference is I don't have double standards. Main difference is that Torres was seen to slight KK wheras Suarez could walk all over BR the man who made him the player he is

So you say about Suarez taking us to court and you say I have double standards yet you have a picture of him and the way you justify that is by saying he was still a sh*t hot player.

So essentially by your logic, if I had said Torres was a sh*t hot player for us and then slated him, that would have been acceptable.

For all the talk of Suarez taking us to court etc, out of the two players, who was it that handed a transfer request in and forced the move? Who was it that got over wanting out and stayed another season?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5252: Apr 17, 2017 12:15:43 am

:lmao:

He's a f**king parody that Alfie lad! You couldn't make it up!

Up the cheap skate pops. Still free loading big yin?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5253: Apr 17, 2017 12:23:01 am
      So you say about Suarez taking us to court and you say I have double standards yet you have a picture of him and the way you justify that is by saying he was still a sh*t hot player.

So essentially by your logic, if I had said Torres was a sh*t hot player for us and then slated him, that would have been acceptable.

I'm just saying if you want to take that position on Torres you have to do so on Luis but most don't. My view has always been both carried themselves in regrettable manners but that shouldn't, years afterwards cloud how magnificent they were when in a red shirt. Yes I've got a pic of Luis and proud of it, but I'd as happily swap it for one of Fernando whereas you would not. Don't you remember him destroying Vidic, or dismantling Real etc etc?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5254: Apr 17, 2017 12:28:55 am
      but I'd as happily swap it for one of Fernando whereas you would not

Who's one of the 3 players in my sig? Oh yeah, Torres...

I'm just saying if you want to take that position on Torres you have to do so on Luis but most don't. My view has always been both carried themselves in regrettable manners but that shouldn't, years afterwards cloud how magnificent they were when in a red shirt.

I don't condone what Suarez done but the difference is he didn't hand the transfer request in, he didn't force the move away late in the transfer window, he stayed another season and gave his absolute all and nearly got us the league title. If Torres had stayed he wouldn't have shown anywhere near the same fight and determination for the club that Suarez was still showing in that final season, he was already moping around and sulking months before he had even left the club. Suarez was crying on the pitch because we had essentially blown our chances of winning the league vs Palace in the 3-3 draw. The only crying Torres would have done if he stayed is because he didn't get the move to Chelsea.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #5255: Apr 17, 2017 12:36:09 am
      Torres said when he left it was related to the new owners and the truth would follow. He's been right we've done nothing under these owners and have sold more key players under them than H&G
      I personally always loved Torres. He shouldn't have left for Chelsea that was his mistake but I'll always have a special place for him

Would Torres have benefited under FSG?
      Has anyone benefited under FSG?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5256: Apr 17, 2017 12:38:59 am
      Who's one of the 3 players in my sig? Oh yeah, Torres...

I don't condone what Suarez done but the difference is he didn't hand the transfer request in, he didn't force the move away late in the transfer window, he stayed another season and gave his absolute all and nearly got us the league title. If Torres had stayed he wouldn't have shown anywhere near the same fight and determination for the club that Suarez was still showing in that final season, he was already moping around and sulking months before he had even left the club. Suarez was crying on the pitch because we had essentially blown our chances of winning the league vs Palace in the 3-3 draw. The only crying Torres would have done if he stayed is because he didn't get the move to Chelsea.

I understand that but you're not comparing like for like.
      Suarez did not have to endure H&G, seeing Rafa reduced to a pale imatation of what he was, Xabi and Masch going and signing dross like Konchesky. Pepe Reina said he was worn out by it and fed up, you can't blame Torres for feeling the same. He'd have been going on int duty having won a Euro + World Cup, hearing stories from Xavi and Iniesta about what was happening under Guardiola and know that the Liverpool that demolished Real Madrid 18 months previous was dead....I don't really blame him for moving on. He shouldn't have signed for the mob he did and he should have waited to the summer but who knows if he hadn't there may have been no Suarez at Liverpool
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5257: Apr 17, 2017 12:52:16 am
      I understand that but you're not comparing like for like.
      Suarez did not have to endure H&G, seeing Rafa reduced to a pale imatation of what he was, Xabi and Masch going and signing dross like Konchesky. Pepe Reina said he was worn out by it and fed up, you can't blame Torres for feeling the same. He'd have been going on int duty having won a Euro + World Cup, hearing stories from Xavi and Iniesta about what was happening under Guardiola and know that the Liverpool that demolished Real Madrid 18 months previous was dead....I don't really blame him for moving on. He shouldn't have signed for the mob he did and he should have waited to the summer but who knows if he hadn't there may have been no Suarez at Liverpool

That's fair enough, but it's no different to what other players like Pepe, Kuyt and Gerrard were experiencing in terms of the drop in quality.

Suarez still had the likes of Downing, Adam and Aspas to play with though yet when he signed there was Torres, Pepe, Agger, Maxi and Kuyt.

Why would there maybe have been no Suarez if Torres stayed? He was signed to play with Torres, Carroll was the replacement.

Gerrard tried to help persuade them both to stay, to stop one from going to Chelsea and one to Arsenal, one of them still went regardless though.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5258: Apr 17, 2017 12:53:00 am
      When you think of it the minute Suarez hit some form for Liverpool under BR he was trying to get out (not to mention biting Chelsea players) having been a bit stop start under KK and disrupting that season with his antics with Evra. He then has a phenomenol season and at the end of it there's not really too much doubt he's on his way. That's like Fernando Torres saying after 08/09 - thanks but see you later I'm at my peak and I'm off. But he didn't he wanted to be successful at Liverpool it was only when it was startlingly apparent that wouldn't happen he pressed for a move. Luis Suarez treated this club much more as a stepping stone than Torres did yet Torres is the villain. I don't get it 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #5259: Apr 17, 2017 12:58:35 am
      When you think of it the minute Suarez hit some form for Liverpool under BR he was trying to get out (not to mention biting Chelsea players) having been a bit stop start under KK and disrupting that season with his antics with Evra. He then has a phenomenol season and at the end of it there's not really too much doubt he's on his way. That's like Fernando Torres saying after 08/09 - thanks but see you later I'm at my peak and I'm off. But he didn't he wanted to be successful at Liverpool it was only when it was startlingly apparent that wouldn't happen he pressed for a move. Luis Suarez treated this club much more as a stepping stone than Torres did yet Torres is the villain. I don't get it 

His antics with Evra? You mean being deemed a racist without a single bit of evidence.
      Suarez is South American and South Americans don't dream of playing for Liverpool or teams in England, they want Madrid or Barca ultimately. He was never going to see out his career with us, we all knew that. So in that regard yes he did use us a stepping stone but I'd rather us be used as a stepping stone for the likes of Barca or Madrid than for Chelsea because we all know that we aren't on their level, we are no where near it, but Chelsea?! Bloody Chavs?! Sure even at our best in 08-09 when we smashed Madrid, we still didn't have that appeal, we still weren't in the same level as Madrid and still didn't have the extra something that leads to the top top players wanting to sign.
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017 01:03:31 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5260: Apr 17, 2017 01:04:31 am
      Up the cheap skate pops. Still free loading big yin?

It's great! Tickety-boo!
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #5261: Apr 17, 2017 01:05:27 am
      His antics with zebra? You mean being deemed a racist without a single bit of evidence.
      Suarez is South American and South Americans don't dream of playing for Liverpool or teams in England, they want Madrid or Barca ultimately. He was never going to see out his career with us, we all knew that. So in that regard yes he did use us a stepping stone but I'd rather us be used as a stepping stone for the likes of Barca or Madrid than for Chelsea.

I don't argue that point, but why should Fernando Torres dream of playing for Liverpool? Fernando Torres dreamed of medals, he left his home town club, love of his life where he was captain to join us- he left Liverpool coming up for 27 years of age. Liverpool from the point KK took over entered a 2, some might say 4-5 year period of transition. Torres seen this coming and knew he didn't have that time to wait if he wanted the big club medals. Chelsea was clearly the wrong club for him but when you take out Real and Barca, you don't want him going to Utd, Arsenal at that time wouldn't pay £50M for a striker how many options did he really have?
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #5262: Apr 17, 2017 11:33:46 am
      So he left because H&G promised to sign top players but failed. Okay, fair enough. Doesn't quite justify leaving about 2-3 months after FSG took over and had just signed Suarez with Dalglish in charge with Woy and H&G being no more though does it.

At the time no one knew just how good Suarez would be.No One Remember,Torres wanted the owners to sign Mata. They did not Maybe if he knew how good Suarez would turn out to be he may have given it another season before he made up his mind, and remember before Torres departed the club also sold Mascherano and Meireles as well, and who were Kenny's Idea of replacements...? Adam, Henderson, and Downing, would you not ask yourself "WTF in going on"
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #5263: Apr 17, 2017 11:39:28 am
      Would Torres have benefited under FSG?
      Has anyone benefited under FSG?
      Sorry to inform you stuey mate the answer is yes they have  :f_tongueincheek:... That is every other team except LFC that is
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5264: Apr 20, 2017 07:18:28 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5265: Apr 20, 2017 08:23:41 am

That was literally hard to get through...brings back so many conflicting emotions of that time period. I really feel badly for Torres, it sounds like he really would like to go back and make a different decision. I so wish we could have gotten to see what could have been with him and Suarez.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5266: Apr 20, 2017 08:30:06 am
      That was literally hard to get through...brings back so many conflicting emotions of that time period. I really feel badly for Torres, it sounds like he really would like to go back and make a different decision. I so wish we could have gotten to see what could have been with him and Suarez.

The hardest bit about that article was me, on my phone, copy and pasting it, going through it sentence by sentence to edit all the parts that shouldn't be there, attempting to post it and not being allowed to as it exceeded 45000 characters.

Meh

Quick Reply