Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)

Read 459326 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Fernando Torres (The Post Liverpool years)
      Reply #5267: Apr 20, 2017 10:11:50 am
      Good read that. Interesting.

Personally I got over it a while ago and I wish him well. F***ing hated him when he went though, absolutely broke me. That period he was here was the best I've seen us over a prolonged period and he was just the icing on a fantastic team.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5268: Apr 20, 2017 10:31:13 am
      I don't argue that point, but why should Fernando Torres dream of playing for Liverpool? Fernando Torres dreamed of medals, he left his home town club, love of his life where he was captain to join us- he left Liverpool coming up for 27 years of age. Liverpool from the point KK took over entered a 2, some might say 4-5 year period of transition. Torres seen this coming and knew he didn't have that time to wait if he wanted the big club medals. Chelsea was clearly the wrong club for him but when you take out Real and Barca, you don't want him going to Utd, Arsenal at that time wouldn't pay £50M for a striker how many options did he really have?

I look at things much differently now.

20-20 vision and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We now know what we know.

The guts were ripped out of a team that could have dominated for a few years

Torres , Mascherano et al. Rafa had got the core of a world beating side ahead of him.

We know that the Yanks weren't spending any of their own money whilst looking for player sales to keep the tills flowing for them.

Torees took some stick from us all but I do believe it wasn't disloyalty . 

It was his only option .

The dream that wasnt to be     Torres  and Suarez together .     WOAH.

Ten years ago this August when I first saw him come on the pitch in Toulouse . 

Special player . Great memories.   Liverpool's number 9 .
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5269: Apr 20, 2017 01:04:14 pm
      The hardest bit about that article was me, on my phone, copy and pasting it, going through it sentence by sentence to edit all the parts that shouldn't be there, attempting to post it and not being allowed to as it exceeded 45000 characters.

Meh

You're doing the good lord's work my boy.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5270: Apr 20, 2017 01:27:55 pm
      Torres struggles to describe his emotions when he made his debut for Chelsea the following weekend against Liverpool. He performed that day as if he did not want to be there.

“To play against Liverpool was never something I liked,” he admits. “There were so many memories and feelings. The reaction of the fans was something I expected but it was still too much for me. I did not react in a good way. Again, it was so, so hard.”
      His mind drifts to a game at Anfield in 2014 when victory for Liverpool would have put them two more wins away from the club’s first league title in 24 years. Steven Gerrard slipped, enabling Demba Ba to score Chelsea’s opener, and in injury time Torres — sent on as a substitute — raced through on goal.

He could have made it 2–0 but elected to pass to Willian. During the course of this interview, it is the only question he dodges: the one where I suggest it seems as though he could not contemplate scoring, that he couldn’t bear to stop Liverpool achieving a feat he never accomplished with them.

“That was the toughest day,” he prefers to say. “I felt so sorry for Stevie and for Liverpool. [They] were so close and really deserved to win the league. If they had won, I think Liverpool would have created history. What a moment for the city. It was so hard seeing the people in the stands. I still feel the same way for them. No matter what has happened, I still love them. I know some of them are still angry but it will not change how I feel for them. Atlético is my club but I still support Liverpool and I want them to win every game, every trophy.”

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5271: Apr 20, 2017 01:56:41 pm
      When you read that the memories come back...

Gulp.  :'(
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5272: Apr 20, 2017 02:03:43 pm
      The PR machine against him sure as hell delivered...

Loved him when he was with us & love & respect him still.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5273: Apr 20, 2017 02:05:11 pm
      Torres struggles to describe his emotions when he made his debut for Chelsea the following weekend against Liverpool. He performed that day as if he did not want to be there.

“To play against Liverpool was never something I liked,” he admits. “There were so many memories and feelings. The reaction of the fans was something I expected but it was still too much for me. I did not react in a good way. Again, it was so, so hard.”
      His mind drifts to a game at Anfield in 2014 when victory for Liverpool would have put them two more wins away from the club’s first league title in 24 years. Steven Gerrard slipped, enabling Demba Ba to score Chelsea’s opener, and in injury time Torres — sent on as a substitute — raced through on goal.

He could have made it 2–0 but elected to pass to Willian. During the course of this interview, it is the only question he dodges: the one where I suggest it seems as though he could not contemplate scoring, that he couldn’t bear to stop Liverpool achieving a feat he never accomplished with them.

“That was the toughest day,” he prefers to say. “I felt so sorry for Stevie and for Liverpool. [They] were so close and really deserved to win the league. If they had won, I think Liverpool would have created history. What a moment for the city. It was so hard seeing the people in the stands. I still feel the same way for them. No matter what has happened, I still love them. I know some of them are still angry but it will not change how I feel for them. Atlético is my club but I still support Liverpool and I want them to win every game, every trophy.”

#Feels

I think that's what the kids say these days.....
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #5274: Apr 20, 2017 02:57:03 pm
      #Feels

I think that's what the kids say these days.....

Really? If I start saying that around the kids to try and look cool but actually get locked up I'll be blaming you.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5275: Apr 20, 2017 04:58:33 pm
      Really? If I start saying that around the kids to try and look cool but actually get locked up I'll be blaming you.

:lmao:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #5276: Apr 20, 2017 05:31:37 pm
      We had the makings of a brilliant team,ah well,, still think of the Torres bounce  what a feeling that was scarves twirling whole ground bouncing what could have been eh .
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #5277: Apr 20, 2017 07:55:39 pm
      So he left because H&G promised to sign top players but failed. Okay, fair enough. Doesn't quite justify leaving about 2-3 months after FSG took over and had just signed Suarez with Dalglish in charge with Woy and H&G being no more though does it.

He thought the grass was greener at Stamford Bridge and used us as a stepping stone. If his move had been a success then he wouldn't have been saying about how he felt empty and whatever else about leaving us.

Still couldn't care less about him and it will never be forgiven.
      Can't stand the c**t , was made up when he was a laughing stock at Chelsea. Same goes for that slimy c**t Suarez .
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #5278: Apr 20, 2017 08:11:11 pm

His mind drifts to a game at Anfield in 2014 when victory for Liverpool would have put them two more wins away from the club’s first league title in 24 years. Steven Gerrard slipped, enabling Demba Ba to score Chelsea’s opener, and in injury time Torres — sent on as a substitute — raced through on goal.

What a load of weepy eyed bollocks. Some on here are complete and utter suckers . Torres tells us how hard it was for him and wah , wah , f***in wah.  He was a f***in disgrace the last 5 months he was with us. Spent most of his time on his arse .

PR suckers.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #5279: Apr 20, 2017 08:17:32 pm
      What a load of weepy eyed bollocks. Some on here are complete and utter suckers . Torres tells us how hard it was for him and wah , wah , f***in wah.  He was a f***in disgrace the last 5 months he was with us. Spent most of his time on his arse .

PR suckers.

Big fan then?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5280: Apr 20, 2017 10:12:21 pm

PR suckers.

If you spent most of your time on your arse maybe you would stop talking out of it so much.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #5281: Apr 21, 2017 01:54:18 am

PR suckers.

Won't forgive him in the manner he left, especially as he tries to implicate Dalglish in that as well.

He made a decision. He stands by that decision because he won trophies. But admits playing for Liverpool FC made him feel like a king, made him feel like he could score anytime he stepped onto the hallowed turf of Anfield. We did have good times with him playing in tandem with Gerrard.

I regret his move, even if publicly he doesn't.

Thanks for the memories Nando. You know you will never be appreciated anywhere else like you were here.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5282: Apr 21, 2017 07:17:27 am
      Suarez was better but there was something about that Torres / Gerrard partnership that will always hold close to my heart.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5283: Apr 21, 2017 08:38:13 am

“That was the toughest day,” he prefers to say. “I felt so sorry for Stevie and for Liverpool. [They] were so close and really deserved to win the league. If they had won, I think Liverpool would have created history. What a moment for the city. It was so hard seeing the people in the stands. I still feel the same way for them.

No matter what has happened, I still love them.

I know some of them are still angry but it will not change how I feel for them.

Atlético is my club but I still support Liverpool and I want them to win every game, every trophy.”

...  we know... and thanks for the fantastic memories .
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #5284: Apr 21, 2017 09:37:22 am
      His last season up until January when he bailed on us , and that's what he did , he was a disgrace . He stopped trying , except against the big boys ,  while he was still getting paid .
      All this " feelling empty " bollocks , do people actually lap this sh*t up .  The goals he scored ? He got paid handsomely for those , he wasn't doing anything for love otherwise he might have started by honouring his contract .
      He's just someone getting paid to do a job , that's it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5285: Apr 21, 2017 12:50:23 pm
      Have a feeling the point Nando was trying to make was that we were a F***ing mess towards the end of H & G's time of owning the club, the likes of Broughton & Purslow telling everyone one thing and then doing something else.

The thing that really hurt the fans was that interview that Nando did on the night of transfer deadline day, that was like a knife through the heart.

In the cold light of day, had a feeling as a club we were happy to take the £50 million offered as he wasn't the same player after the knee injury.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #5286: Apr 21, 2017 03:47:34 pm
      When Torres, left – I felt exactly the same as you.  Betrayed.  Frustrated.  Overall, as weird as it sounds…  I felt let down.

I have a friend who’s a scouser, but I Geordie fan, and on that deadline day he was in feels also (35 million lump, remember?)

So we just got bladdered together in some dive to drown our sorrows.

But.  It was also the day I realised that deep down, footballers just have no loyalties.

It was the day I stopped having emotions for footballers and stopped buying into the whole “I’ve watched Liverpool since I was a kid” their agent and the club makes them spew out when they sign for us.

The day I acknowledged that footballers are people.  Well paid or not.  They want a career filled with success and money they will pass on to their nearest and dearest.

So, in a way, it was a kick in the bollocks but I’m thankful for it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #5287: Apr 22, 2017 12:02:18 am
      Can't stand the c**t , was made up when he was a laughing stock at Chelsea. Same goes for that slimy c**t Suarez .

Gosh, you really are a very bitter person aren't you  :tosser: god knows what you must feel like about the likes of Diouf if you are so scathing about the likes of Suarez and Torres,  two tremendously talented players and in all my years of watching football, Suarez has to be one of the very best to ever pull on the red shirt....you my friend seem to be the biggest c**t of them all.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #5288: Apr 22, 2017 10:58:15 am
      Gosh, you really are a very bitter person aren't you  :tosser: god knows what you must feel like about the likes of Diouf if you are so scathing about the likes of Suarez and Torres,  two tremendously talented players and in all my years of watching football, Suarez has to be one of the very best to ever pull on the red shirt....you my friend seem to be the biggest c**t of them all.
      You seem to be a bit dizzy don't you ?
      When did i question either players ability ? I'm talking about people falling for guff about  Torres loving the club and supporters . He came here when we were on the up and fu**ed off as soon as it got tough.
      He loved the club and supporters so much that he went to a club despised by the people he loved. Now he's back telling us how empty it made him feel and you are just ready to lap it up. I'm guessing you buy a lot of bags of magic beans don't you ?

Suarez was DESPERATE to get away from us and sign for Arsenal and started spouting loads of sh*te about being lied to and how unfair everyone was being to him . Then we get fans telling us how gracious he was to actually turn up and play football for us another season !! He's getting paid a fortune to do so , yet some think he's a stand up guy .
      If these players just said " Someones made me a better offer and that's all it comes down to really "  i would have no problem with that. It's all the fake , schmultz , that suckers such as yourself  fall for , that does my head in.

They are just employees , paid vast amounts of money to play football and thats all there is to it . Your namesake Gerrard was going to Chelsea , he was going to go , you know why ? It was a better offer.

Bitter c**t ? Hope i didn't burst that big soft cuddly bubble you've been living in.
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #5289: Apr 22, 2017 11:37:43 am
      You seem to be a bit dizzy don't you ?
      When did i question either players ability ? I'm talking about people falling for guff about  Torres loving the club and supporters . He came here when we were on the up and fu**ed off as soon as it got tough.
      He loved the club and supporters so much that he went to a club despised by the people he loved. Now he's back telling us how empty it made him feel and you are just ready to lap it up. I'm guessing you buy a lot of bags of magic beans don't you ?

Suarez was DESPERATE to get away from us and sign for Arsenal and started spouting loads of sh*te about being lied to and how unfair everyone was being to him . Then we get fans telling us how gracious he was to actually turn up and play football for us another season !! He's getting paid a fortune to do so , yet some think he's a stand up guy .
      If these players just said " Someones made me a better offer and that's all it comes down to really "  i would have no problem with that. It's all the fake , schmultz , that suckers such as yourself  fall for , that does my head in.

They are just employees , paid vast amounts of money to play football and thats all there is to it . Your namesake Gerrard was going to Chelsea , he was going to go , you know why ? It was a better offer.

Bitter C**t ? Hope i didn't burst that big soft cuddly bubble you've been living in.

So because somebody moves on for a better offer it doesn't mean they can't feel some kind of nostalgia or emotion for their last place of work?

Bitter c**t? Hope I don't drain that pit of sh*te you are wallowing in!

Quick Reply