Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

January transfer window - Have we done enough?

Read 6329 times
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 539 posts | 10 
      January transfer window - Have we done enough?
      Feb 01, 2011 05:57:52 am
      So we have ended up with 2 Strikers, but not the two we were expecting.

Luis Suarez does look a class act. The Dutch League is a tough League to gain a goalscoring reputation but his record speaks for itself.
      And Andy Carroll? He has enormous potential and am sure Kenny will help him develop into a more complete player. Up front, the future looks good.

But, all things considered, I can't help but think that so much energy has been focused on the Torres/Carroll saga, that the Club have taken their eye off the ball as far as ensuring strength in depth in other areas.

Personally, I believe we are desperate for an experienced Centre Back, a winger who's tried and tested and probably another midfielder.

The future does look red and am looking forward to seeing Suarez and Carroll forge a partnership (am sure that is Kenny's plan for the money that's been splashed).

But have we done enough?

RedCanuck
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Re: January transfer window - Have we done enough?
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2011 06:13:50 am
      I personally think we've wasted too much time and money on defenders and got away from attacking football.  I think under King Kenny he's gonna go with the philosophy of the best defence is a great offence.  Under Woy the whole team not jsut the defence was exposed for sitting back and absorbing pressure and trying to hit back with a single striker on the counter.  I think the results speak for themselves.  Since Kenny has taken over I've noticed far more ball pressure in the middle of the park and a hell of a lot more attacking up the field.  I think what you're gonna see is having Carroll and Suarez up front is going to free up a lot of space in the middle for Stevie and Raul to pick teams apart.   I'll grant you we definately need to look at a central defender but I think strikers of this quality and potential don't come along as often as defender.  I can't wait to see this partnership form!!
      TheKopite*****
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2011 06:26:12 am
      To be honest the place we lacked the most was attacking football, yes wingers contribute to that but we did what we needed to in the circumstances.

It is not feasible to buy 2 strikers a CB and a winger or two the Jan window. Buying 4-5 players in Jan just isnt worth it, look at what we had to splash out to get Carroll, imagine having to do that on another 1-2 players? Could have spent 100mil or more which is silly money and we arent about that.
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2011 06:32:08 am
      Have we done enough? Possibly for a January transfer window.

Two young quality forwards for one slowly aging injury prone 'world class' striker is a fine outcome.

What i like is that we are focusing on the 'long term' by purchasing young players.

What we are currently missing is players on the wing. Something we have not had for ages. Babel is now gone, and has not done much of a job there. I hope in the future, we can focus on that area.
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2011 06:51:38 am
      To be honest the place we lacked the most was attacking football, yes wingers contribute to that but we did what we needed to in the circumstances.

It is not feasible to buy 2 strikers a CB and a winger or two the Jan window. Buying 4-5 players in Jan just isnt worth it, look at what we had to splash out to get Carroll, imagine having to do that on another 1-2 players? Could have spent 100mil or more which is silly money and we arent about that.

I think you hit this one perfect.  We know we have area of needs, and Im damn glad we came out with 2 strikers for a crocked piece of sh*t.  Overall, we spent 10m about.  Saurez, has proven in my eyes that he will step up in the big scene, look at his world cup.  The guy did what he had to do to win, and he scored a few.  Now Carroll some say is unproven, and not worth to money.  Well we just got a kid that will work his ass off and give his all.  Personally I dont think we have been the same since crouch left.  Now I believe that Carroll, will surpass what crouch did for us.  He has that much more potential, his not going to get pushed around like crouch did.  And he can head the ball as good or better.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2011 06:54:54 am
      Couldn't agree more with you, if Carrol had been cheaper we should definately have gone for a good LB and CB to partner Agger. No matter how much i love the man, i gotta say Carragher is getting a bit slow and clumsy.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2011 06:56:08 am
      For a winter window? Could have done more, but think it wasn't bad by any means considering the Torres saga. With FSG seemingly showing intention for others only for time to run out, im happy we got what we desperately needed - and can now plan for a real good recruitment in the summer.

AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2011 07:02:58 am
      I agree with the OP we certaily could have done with another CB, we have been quite open at the back without Carra and a top class right winger would help considerably as Kuyt looks overworked recently.  I do think we have signed a few world beaters and with Torres out of form we may have definitely got a top price for him.
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2011 07:13:18 am by AJ »
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2011 07:19:50 am
      Think i would have been more happy with Young but we still came out with two sick strikers and the knowledge that our owners are going to invest.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #9: Feb 01, 2011 08:32:47 am
      The Dutch League is a tough League to gain a goalscoring reputation

Are you sure about that?!?!
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #10: Feb 01, 2011 08:39:26 am
      Personally , the most importantwas the way Kenny and the owners handled the difficult situation the guy from spain brought us into, As for the replacements, we have 2 young strikers now and hopefully will click imadiately,  would have liked for a winger too but i am sure kenny will solve that problem in the summer,  , and at last we have owners backing the manager
       YNWA
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #11: Feb 01, 2011 08:59:22 am
      Yes we have. I can't believe that i'm hearing people moaning. A 2 faced lying Spanish c**t dropped us right in the sh*t at the last minute. Suarez was on his way anyway, Carroll was obviously on the radar.

We have offloaded a player that didn't give a F**k about us, we have brought in 2 quality strikers. We tried to bring in Charlie Adam but i don't think Holloway really ever intended to sell in this window, survival is his priority. Spurs last minute bid was proof of that. An apparent bid for Micah Richards was also turned down. We tried to bring Warnock in and Young but Houllier made it clear that Young was going nowhere.

We have offloaded Konchesky on loan. What more do people want eh?.

Two strikers, a winger, a midfielder, a centre back and a left back would have cost in excess of £130 million. Not even Chelsea or Manchester City have spent that amount in a January window, why should we be any different?. The ship has been steadied, we have moved on a very disruptive influence. There will be a big Summer ahead for us, NESV have proven their willingness to invest, as has already been confirmed by Kenny Dalglish himself, what more do you want?.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: Feb 01, 2011 08:59:44 am

I'm not trying to evade the question but what do you mean by "done enough"? It's a pretty vague question really and I suppose the answer depends on what the target is.

Have we "done enough" to avoid relegation? Yes.

Have we "done enough" to climb the table? Yes.

Have we "done enough" to win the league this season? No but, in my opinion, 10 new signings wouldn't have been enough.

Have we "done enough" to replace Torres who's timing appeared to have fu**ed things up? Yes.

Have we "done enough" to show intent? Yes.

I'm sure there are more 'targets' but . ...well this could go on forever so i'll wait until "done enough" is further defined.
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #13: Feb 01, 2011 09:04:38 am
      Kinda saves my day seeing Tottenham failing in all their transfer attempts! (Other than Pienaar)
      Kong Krog
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 383 posts |
      Reply #14: Feb 01, 2011 09:06:00 am
      Yes we have. I can't believe that i'm hearing people moaning. A 2 faced lying Spanish c**t dropped us right in the sh*t at the last minute. Suarez was on his way anyway, Carroll was obviously on the radar.

We have offloaded a player that didn't give a F**k about us, we have brought in 2 quality strikers. We tried to bring in Charlie Adam but i don't think Holloway really ever intended to sell in this window, survival is his priority. Spurs last minute bid was proof of that. An apparent bid for Micah Richards was also turned down. We tried to bring Warnock in and Young but Houllier made it clear that Young was going nowhere.

We have offloaded Konchesky on loan. What more do people want eh?.

Two strikers, a winger, a midfielder, a centre back and a left back would have cost in excess of £130 million. Not even Chelsea or Manchester City have spent that amount in a January window, why should we be any different?. The ship has been steadied, we have moved on a very disruptive influence. There will be a big Summer ahead for us, NESV have proven their willingness to invest, as has already been confirmed by Kenny Dalglish himself, what more do you want?.
      You're right, and nice post btw.
      But wouldn't it have been great to see us secure a winger, LB and a CB along with our two strikers? :D
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #15: Feb 01, 2011 10:38:40 am
      For a January window, yes we have.

Like it's been said to buy 4-5 players would of cost us a heck of a lot of money, which would have been stupid.

You could look at it as we've lost 2 first team players and only replaced them, not adding to the depth of our squad. Which is true but we know that Babel wasn't the prospect we thought he was and Torres hadn't been his best for 18 months.

We've gained 2 forwards who are hungry to prove themselves which will no doubt lift the rest of the team.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #16: Feb 01, 2011 10:54:20 am
      Yes i do believe we have,come on are strike force with c**t in it was limited to say the least,now we have two strikers im sure most defences are going to hate .coming up against,so yes and a big thanks to nesv and kk.come on redmen
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Feb 01, 2011 10:55:05 am
      We let Konchesky, Babel and Torres go. Two players who have done almost virtually nothing and one player, who has shown lack of effort, attitude, alot of sulk and injury prone for the last 18 months at least.

So, in truth, we actually only lost one first teamer - Torres. Great player on his day but other than a few important goals, he has contributed negative aura to his teammates.

We brought in Carroll, Suarez and Conor Thomas. Two young strikers who are far more willing to show hunger than the three players above put together and one 17 year old midfielder with loads of potential.

I believe we are stronger now than before and did good for a transfer window in January. Well done, NESV, Kenny and Comolli.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #18: Feb 01, 2011 10:59:21 am
      for a january window we have done very well. for to long we have complained about the lack of firepower up front, especially when Torres was injured.  then he came back scored a few then got injured again. Ok so now he's gone and taken his bottom lip with him, but we now have two goalscorers who can actually play together or on their own.

The midfield is looking much better especially with Meireles really starting to look like the real deal.  Shelvey is breaking through at a very young age and that boy has ability and really know a pass.

The defence now has agger back in and carra coming back.  he will need replacing, but there is now time in the summer for that.  Kelly is looking better and better at right back and Johnson seems to be a better left back than right back, which is strange.  Yes we need some wingers, but in the summer we will have more money to spend, as we have only spent net 1.5 million which is fantastic business.  Johnson could play right wing, which would leave us to buy a left back and left winger.  Just remember Dalglish has shifted a few lads from Kirkby to Melwood and Pacheco must be getting closer to some first team starts.  The future is Liverpool and what a difference a few months has made.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #19: Feb 01, 2011 11:06:48 am
      We let Konchesky, Babel and Torres go. Two players who have done almost virtually nothing and one player, who has shown lack of effort, attitude, alot of sulk and injury prone for the last 18 months at least.

So, in truth, we actually only lost one first teamer - Torres. Great player on his day but other than a few important goals, he has contributed negative aura to his teammates.

We brought in Carroll, Suarez and Conor Thomas. Two young strikers who are far more willing to show hunger than the three players above put together and one 17 year old midfielder with loads of potential.

I believe we are stronger now than before and did good for a transfer window in January. Well done, NESV, Kenny and Comolli.
      all the above is spot on.  We seem to have a wave a young talented players, particularly in the midfield, just waiting and developing.  If you follow the Academy results from under 9's to under18's you will see how well we are doing at all those age groups.  our owners have set out a plan which is not based on the club spending crazy money and getting into trouble just for a short term gain, they are looking at building for success which will take a little longer to get to, but will also mean we can sustain that success for a long period!
      eamonnjb
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 01, 2011 11:06:49 am
      The owners really stepped up to the plate here.

When you look at it Torres and the Chavs really did a number on us.
      The idealwindow would have been of course to get in a defender with Suarez and keep what we thought was the now happy and rejuvenated Torres but as it turns out he was not the red we thought:
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6715560,00.html
      That video is enough to make me sick

Carroll is seriously over priced but newcatle had us over a barrell due to that c**t's actions but it was necessary and if he reaches his potential will do a good job for us (although not 35M worth)
      I just hope this doesn't affect the owners sentiments in the Summer

Overall though job well done in difficult circumstances although should we perhaps ask how the whole debacle wasn't forseen?
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Feb 01, 2011 11:27:40 am
      Would have been nice to see a winger and a left back added in january but theres summer for that. Delighted with Carroll and Suarez despite my disspointment in Nando leaving. Hopefully we can bring in a left back and winger in the summer, then persoanlly I beleive we could be title challengers. I am feeling slightly more optomistic with Carroll and Suarez up top and King Kenny in charge, we could give the top 4 a real go. Overall, the players we have brought in have been of the highest quality.
      fowler2010
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 01, 2011 11:50:38 am
      off the subject when can carrol play?

Quick Reply