Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Football around the world

Read 169347 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #138: Jun 04, 2011 03:57:20 pm
      Honestly didn't the full match so don't really know about the offside!

Wouldn't be upset if Peñarol won the title either, I'm sure it would be a brilliant party in Montevideo ;D Anyway I'm sure it's gonna be a great final, looking forward to it.

By the way, just got me and my little brother tickets for Flamengo vs Corinthians tomorrow, Dejan Petkovic's last game in a red and black shirt, gonna be an emotional moment.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #139: Jun 04, 2011 10:42:23 pm
      Honestly didn't the full match so don't really know about the offside!

Wouldn't be upset if Peñarol won the title either, I'm sure it would be a brilliant party in Montevideo ;D Anyway I'm sure it's gonna be a great final, looking forward to it.

By the way, just got me and my little brother tickets for Flamengo vs Corinthians tomorrow, Dejan Petkovic's last game in a red and black shirt, gonna be an emotional moment.
      Cant watch the game, so get some footage and upload them to youtube
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #140: Jun 06, 2011 01:37:40 am
      Petkovic played his last game as a professional footballer today... he played the first 45 minutes, and then said goodbye to players and fans during half time. Before the game there was a mosaic in the colours of the Serbian flag saying Petkovic, and then the mosaic turned black and red, as in those pics:

Take a look at how many reporters were trying to talk to him :D

All the players were wearing shirts with "Petkovic" on their backs...

Saying goodbye to the fans... I was pretty close to where this pic was taken:

Goodbye, dear Pet  :f_wah: You'll be missed.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #141: Jun 06, 2011 02:02:08 am
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #142: Jun 06, 2011 08:27:00 pm
      Well for people on here from CONCACAF reign of the world the Gold Cup is being played right in. Gold Cup is like "Euro" or "Copa America" of our reign where the winner of this one gets a spot in the Confederations Cup in 2013 in Brazil. The competition started yesterday with Mexico beating El Salvador 5-0 and Costia Rica beating Cuba 5-0. Jamaica v Grenda and Honduras v Guatemala will play today and tomorrow Canada v USA and Panama v Guadeloupe.

Here highlights of the games yesterday

Costa Rica Vs Cuba 2011 Gold Cup 5-0

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011 Group A Mexico 5-0 El Salvador - Highlights 06/05/2011
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #143: Jun 08, 2011 02:10:04 pm
      Few more games were played with Americans beating Canada 2-0 :( Also Panama defeated Guadeloupe 3-2, Jamaica pounded Grenada 4-0 and Honduras v Guatemala drew 0-0.

USA Vs Canada 2-0 - All Goals & Match Highlights - June 7 2011 - CONCACAF Gold Cup

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011 Group B Jamaica 4-0 Grenada - Highlights 06/06/2011

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2011 Group C Panama 3-2 Guadeloupe - Highlights 06/07/2011
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #144: Jun 16, 2011 05:00:27 pm
      First leg of the 2011 Libertadores Cup final, at the Centenario Stadium in Montevideo
      The match between Peñarol and Santos ended 0-0. A boring match to watch unless you were a fan of one of the teams. Both had 3 or 4 VERY clear scoring chance they wasted. Maybe Peñarol had 2 of the most " i cant belive they missed it" of the match, when the ball ended on 2 of the roughest defenders in America, no tecnical ability whatsoever!.
      The best was on the stands, and i must say, again, ive never see anything like it before, The stadium was literally on fire, with a reported over 60,000 flares, rockets and other fireworks, storming down from the stands. The roar when the team got in was beyond belief, something ive never seen, and ive been to finals before this is my 3rd!

The team enters on the 4th minute, but if you enjoy watching the type of clips, its really enjoyable. Plus, 14 members of the national team were on the stands( not Luis who is a Nacional fan).
      Un Recibimiento Histórico | Final Peñarol -- Santos [HD]

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #145: Jun 16, 2011 05:08:48 pm
      Santos missed some good chances as well, too bad for them Zé Eduardo is one crap striker.

A good read about the game in English, if anyone is interested:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jonathan_wilson/06/15/penarol.santos.review/index.html

I laughed at one little joke about the offside goal made by a friend of mine. "If the Peñarol player was called Massa, not Alonso, he wouldn't be the front runner, and the goal would've been onside" :D
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #146: Jun 16, 2011 05:10:46 pm
      Some Uruguay National team players escaped concentration camp to be at the game.
      http://www.elpais.com.uy/MostrarImagen.asp?vurl=/anexos/imagen/11/184668.jpg

Cristian Rodríguez, Abel Hernández, Gastón Ramírez, Diego Pérez, Juan Castillo, Egidio Arévalo Ríos , Diego Lugano, Walter Gargano, Martín Cáceres, Fernando Muslera, Martín Silva, Álvaro Pereira, Maximiliano Pereira , Sebastián Fernández
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #147: Jun 16, 2011 05:13:01 pm
      Wasn't Forlan there? I read somewhere before the game about him being a Peñarol fan (he was in the stadium when you won the Libertadores in 87) and that he would be there again last night
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #148: Jun 16, 2011 05:13:31 pm
      Uhmm, concentration camp? >:D
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #149: Jun 16, 2011 05:48:05 pm
      Wasn't Forlan there? I read somewhere before the game about him being a Peñarol fan (he was in the stadium when you won the Libertadores in 87) and that he would be there again last night
      He is on the left on the picture I linked above
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #150: Jun 16, 2011 05:49:11 pm
      That what we call them in spanish. How are they called in English?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #151: Jun 16, 2011 05:52:48 pm
      I know what you mean Quico, in Portuguese we say players are in the 'concentration' as well. Don't know what's the word in English
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #152: Jun 16, 2011 06:56:49 pm
      Santos missed some good chances as well, too bad for them Zé Eduardo is one crap striker.

A good read about the game in English, if anyone is interested:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jonathan_wilson/06/15/penarol.santos.review/index.html

I laughed at one little joke about the offside goal made by a friend of mine. "If the Peñarol player was called Massa, not Alonso, he wouldn't be the front runner, and the goal would've been onside" :D
      That pretty much sums up the game. Good joke about Alonso!!
      I have confidence in my team, we have won all 5 of our titles away from home, so we are used to it
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #153: Jun 16, 2011 08:48:05 pm
      That what we call them in spanish. How are they called in English?
      Well, this is what concentration camp means in English. I'm not sure what the proper English term is for what you're trying to say, but translated from Dutch it would be training camp.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #154: Jun 16, 2011 10:26:11 pm
      Well, this is what concentration camp means in English. I'm not sure what the proper English term is for what you're trying to say, but translated from Dutch it would be training camp.
      We know what a concentration camp means in English!! Its just that we call them the same in spanish.
      Concentration as in Focus.
      Training wouldnt do...there is so much more to it.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #155: Jun 23, 2011 01:18:34 pm
      Did anyone else watch the Argentina relegation play-off last night? River Plate were in it. It's a weird system there and from what I gather from it, your 3 year average points per game dictates your standing and then the last placed team plays a 2-legged play off against a team from the 2nd division.

River plate were playing in in last night and lost 2-0. In the 2nd half there was a pitch invasion from the fans trying to fire up their players! 24 minutes added time on! :D

Incidentes en el partido River vs Belgrano
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #156: Jun 23, 2011 05:15:20 pm
      Did anyone else watch the Argentina relegation play-off last night? River Plate were in it. It's a weird system there and from what I gather from it, your 3 year average points per game dictates your standing and then the last placed team plays a 2-legged play off against a team from the 2nd division.

River plate were playing in in last night and lost 2-0. In the 2nd half there was a pitch invasion from the fans trying to fire up their players! 24 minutes added time on! :D

Incidentes en el partido River vs Belgrano

I really wanted to watch that match for all it meant (River had never been relegated before in their history, especially given how the Argentine system works, making it a lot easier to the big clubs to stay safe in the 1st division), but unfortunately I wasn't at home. Only now I knew of the result. Will probably download to watch it later.

I was out drinking and watching the Libertadores final instead.

Feel extremely sorry for Quico, as his Penarol lost to Santos last night, in Brazil, by 2-1... but I'm very happy for Neymar, who scored the 1st goal of the match. Legend.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #157: Jun 23, 2011 05:17:26 pm
      Neymar justifies the hype as Santos reclaim the Libertadores at last
      Innocuous in the first leg, Neymar showed why Europe's top clubs want him with a dominant second-leg performance

At the final whistle, as Peñarol's players fought a brawl - apparently sparked by a Santos fan - against a handful of Santos players, backroom staff, a few fans and some bowl-helmeted riot police, Neymar sank to his knees and wept. This was the farewell of which he had dreamed, bringing Santos their first Libertadores since 1963, when Pelé - who was also weeping in celebration as he looked down from his box at the Pacaembu - was in his pomp. But there must also have been a sense of vindication, of relief at having been the decisive figure in the second leg after having been so innocuous in the first.

Neymar had spent the bulk of the first leg (which finished goalless) to the right of Zé Eduardo, and had been frustrated by the brusque attentions of Peñarol's veteran left-back, Darío Rodríguez. Only when switching and cutting in from the left did he pose much of a threat. Last night, he played virtually the whole game on the left, and when the right-back Alejandro González was withdrawn after 38 minutes - for an injury Neymar had inflicted - it felt almost merciful.

González should have been booked for a late attempt at a tackle that hooked Neymar's shin just before the half-hour, and he was booked for tugging the forward back after 31 minutes. It was almost inconceivable he would have lasted the game without collecting a second yellow, but he was forced off after Neymar, again perhaps a little underprotected by the referee, planted his studs into the middle of his shin, seemingly causing damage to González's knee. There was no lunge, and it may be that he was simply clumsy, but the suspicion was that Neymar was having his retribution, showing he can protect himself. The yellow card he received was perhaps fortunate.

The switch of flanks and change of direct opponent helped Neymar, and so too did the return to Ganso after a six-week injury lay-off. Santos had been a little predictable through midfield in the first leg - in fairness, as the away side they perhaps emphasised solidity over imagination; with Ganso they suddenly had a player who found space despite Peñarol's packed centre, somebody who could manufacture angles.

Again and again, he swept low diagonals out to Neymar; it was all rather reminiscent of Gerson's angled balls out to Jaizinho during the 1970 World Cup (although right-to-left rather than left-to-right). Everything Santos did in attack seemed to originate with that pass. The Elano shot that Sebastián Sosa pushed wide after eight minutes came as the Peñarol defence was sucked to that flank, and the ball turned back into the middle where for once there was space. It was Ganso's ball Neymar was chasing when González pulled him back to earn his caution. And, when Leo dragged wide the best opening of the first half, it was after Zé Eduardo had got between Ganso and Neymar, laid the ball forward and moved for a return, a half-challenge sending the ball spinning to the left-back.

Ganso, inevitably, was involved in the opening goal. Peñarol had held out doggedly until half-time, and Santos's back four was rickety enough that there was always the chance they might get caught out by a simple ball over the top, but two minutes after the break came the breakthrough. It was Arouca, a splendidly dynamic presence at the back of midfield, who was the instigator, bursting forward and taking three Peñarol players out of the game, laying the ball off to Ganso, who returned it with a backheel. On Arouca went, charging on an angle from right to left, evading two more challenges and drawing Emiliano Albín, who had replaced González, infield. As soon as the space was there, Arouca played the pass, and Neymar was accelerating goalwards.

Again and again over the past couple of seasons he has opened his body and shaped as if to curl the ball in at the far post, and then, having set the goalkeeper off balance, dragged the ball in at the near post, and he performed the same trick again. It doesn't lend itself to pretty goals, and it left Sosa looking at fault, but Neymar has finished like that so often that he should probably be credited rather than the goalkeeper being blamed.

Neymar was the architect of the second as well, dallying on the left touchline, and then somehow seeing a curved pass infield to Elano. It was hugely risky, as an interception would have led to a break with Santos undermanned at the back, but he executed it perfectly. Elano spread the ball right, and Danilo, up from full-back - although he had played as a left-sided midfielder last week - suddenly had space to run at Darío Rodríguez. He turned inside him and curved a shot round the dives of both Guillermo Rodríguez and Sosa to round off a stunning goal.

A Durval own goal 11 minutes from time gave Peñarol some hope, but the more threatening side in the final minutes remained Santos. When Neymar crossed for Ganso it seemed he could not miss, and when he sliced the ball back across goal it seemed Zé Eduardo really could not miss, but the Genoa-bound centre-forward contrived to head wide from three yards. Neymar then hit the post having clipped the ball over Sosa - and Zé Eduardo stabbed the rebound wide from three yards (memo to Genoa, whom Zé Eduardo will join in the summer: don't set him up with open goals from three yards).

Ganso and Arouca were both excellent, but this was all about Neymar. His talent was never really in question, but what this showed was his mental resilience: after the disappointment of last week, to respond with a match-winning performance speaks volumes for his temperament. Europe - perhaps Real Madrid, perhaps Chelsea, perhaps somewhere else - awaits, and it should do so with some anticipation.

And then sign Ganso as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jun/23/neymar-santos-libertadores
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #158: Jun 23, 2011 06:12:24 pm
      That is nuts about River Plate. I bet my pal the Boca fan is doing laps :D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #159: Jun 23, 2011 08:36:14 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,546 posts | 3474 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #160: Jun 24, 2011 11:15:50 am
      Loved the end of the Libertadores Final, show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Quick Reply