Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Football around the world

Read 163675 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #23: Mar 14, 2011 10:34:33 pm
      Yes I am. We are pretty much in the same situation as Liverpool. Glorious, and unmatched past, but struggling in the present. Unfortunately, we will never have the cash to be buyers, just sellers.

5 Times Libertadores Cup Champions, 3 Times World Champions, 46 Uruguayan Titles, and Best South American Club of the XX century(according to IFFHS)thats just to list the important ones. Hell, we were Champions in the land of champions.
      Up untill 1990 we were pretty much the best team in the world title-wise,along with Madrid, but present day its impossible for us to struggle with the drain in talent. Our stars are sold before they turn 20.

And we were founded by the British Railway Workers, so we owe England a debt of gratitude, and most of the founders were originary of Liverpool, hence my simpathy towards the club! The year was 1891.

I have a Flamengo shirt i got from a girl in Floripa! And a Fluminense shirt from her girl friend, ;D.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Mar 15, 2011 01:21:37 am
      Haha, nice! Great to have more South Americans in the forum.

Visiting Uruguay is on my list, Sportv (Brazilian sports channel) showed a docummentary about the Estadio Centenario a few months ago, I have to visit it one day.

I live about 5-10 minutes from the Maracanã, I'll be visiting the San Siro, the Olympic Stadium of Rome and Anfield next month, Wembley is also on my list, plus many others. Love football stadiums and any kind of 'football tourism' ;D

And I always hear Punta Del Este is a brilliant place!

Ever read 'El fútbol a sol y sombra', by your countrymen Eduardo Galeano?
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #25: Mar 15, 2011 12:34:31 pm
      Haha, nice! Great to have more South Americans in the forum.

Visiting Uruguay is on my list, Sportv (Brazilian sports channel) showed a docummentary about the Estadio Centenario a few months ago, I have to visit it one day.

I live about 5-10 minutes from the Maracanã, I'll be visiting the San Siro, the Olympic Stadium of Rome and Anfield next month, Wembley is also on my list, plus many others. Love football stadiums and any kind of 'football tourism' ;D

And I always hear Punta Del Este is a brilliant place!

Ever read 'El fútbol a sol y sombra', by your countrymen Eduardo Galeano?
      "Football is the most important thing in the world to a man. People can change their religion, their wife, and political views, but never their football club"!! Everyone should read that book!

You should try and visit soon, because it is only getting worse with time. Absolutely no investment in there. A shame considering its rich history. Did you know no other Stadium in the world has held more matches than him?? 3 Matches a week on average for 80 years. There is a nice little museum inside, with bits of our history, but in all, very precarious. There is an aura of former glory in the Bronce Concrete and grass, but still its hard for us to see it slowly decay

Nice to meet you too, mate!. I love Rio, been there quite a few times on business. Planning on going on Carnaval next year on a friends bachellor party!

If you are into football history, you should also visit Nacionals stadium, and the site where Peñarol Stadium was( its now been demolished), where the World Cup begun in 1930, simultaneous matches in both fields. On the site of the Peñarol stadium there is a bronce where the first goal was scored by a Frenchman to Mexico.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Mar 21, 2011 03:16:34 pm
      Obama receives Flamengo jersey, vows to return for 2016 Games
      RIO DE JANEIRO, March 20 (Xinhua) -- During his visit to Brazil, US President Barak Obama received a personalized jersey from the Flamengo soccer team on Sunday.

Flamengo's club president Patricia Amorim presented the president with an official jersey and his name printed on the back. Due to the rules regarding gifts to the president, Amorim could not give Obama a box-wrapped gift.

The club president was forced to wear the jersey over her clothes and then remove it in front of him in order to present him with the jersey. Learning that Flamengo is Brazil's most popular team, Obama made it a point to visit the club.

The club's headquarters also served as a landing point for the presidential helicopter. After meeting with Amorim briefly, Obama headed towards downtown in order to address the Brazilian public.

Obama was expected to give a public speech on Sunday, but the venue was changed due to security threats. On Friday evening, the US Consulate-General in Rio de Janeiro came under attack as protestors threw Molotov cocktails at the building, resulting in multiple arrests.

Joking during his speech to special guest at Rio de Janeiro's Municipal Theater, President Obama said that the city was not his favorite pick for the 2016 Olympic Games. Obama actively supported the candidacy of his hometown of Chicago.

Nevertheless, he promised the Brazilian public to return to Brazil in order to watch the 2016 Games. After his speech, the American president is expected to do a little sightseeing before departing the city, including visiting Rio's emblematic statute, Christ the Redeemer.

:D

LFCexiled
      Reply #27: Mar 22, 2011 08:15:29 pm
      Didn't have a clue where to put this so in here it goes.

Just popped inti myp2p.eu to see if there were any matches I could watch and there's a match on between Duisburg (Germany)   vs.    LFC Everton (England) It's listed as a 'UEFA Womens' Match. Who are LFC Everton? I hope the L stands for Ladies but still who's bright idea was it to use that name?

http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=football
      keithlfc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #28: Mar 22, 2011 09:51:23 pm
      Didn't have a clue where to put this so in here it goes.

Just popped inti myp2p.eu to see if there were any matches I could watch and there's a match on between Duisburg (Germany)   vs.    LFC Everton (England) It's listed as a 'UEFA Womens' Match. Who are LFC Everton? I hope the L stands for Ladies but still who's bright idea was it to use that name?

http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=football

Clocked that myself before mate defo a F**k up by myp2p
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #29: Mar 22, 2011 09:56:29 pm

Clocked that myself before mate defo a F**k up by myp2p
      Not a F**k up by myp2p, it's what they're called unfortunately.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #30: Mar 22, 2011 10:17:41 pm
      What a sh*t name.

Is there an LFC Liverpool I Wonder.

I'm not arsed in truth.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Mar 22, 2011 11:29:08 pm
      We should sue them for damages.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #32: Mar 23, 2011 07:59:13 am
      Or at least get a tax write off for the charitable donation of the name ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #33: Mar 23, 2011 11:01:39 am

They'd only get all arsey and start calling us 'nasty men'.

Bloody women, no idea.  >:D
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #34: Mar 23, 2011 12:43:51 pm
      Supporters of Sendai, Japan

ベガルタ仙台応援風景2(VEGALTA SENDAI Supporters in Away game,JAPAN)

Hard to imagine that some of them are maybe not with us anymore.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #35: Mar 23, 2011 06:21:59 pm
      This is my church
      Peñarol vs. Gallinas (Clásico) (18-04-10) - Video 8

Thats before the match, during, it gets really caothic. That is the Centenario Stadium, home of the 1st WC

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #36: Mar 25, 2011 05:10:54 pm
      Chelsea have confirmed they've signed a young Brazilian player called Lucas Piazon, I've heard his good, Diego?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #37: Mar 25, 2011 05:20:11 pm
      Always heard great things about him but he's too young, never played in the 1st team, so I can't say anything. I'm not even sure if I ever saw him play, probably in some youth competition but that's it.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #38: Mar 25, 2011 05:43:22 pm
      I just watched a video of him on youtube, not the young brazilian Lucas I'd heard of, is there another one mate?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #39: Mar 25, 2011 05:57:03 pm
      Yes, the other Lucas is already a first team player for São Paulo FC. He shone in the South American under 20 earlier this year with Brazil and is already very important for his club, probably their best at the moment. He's pure class, lots of potential and still only 18. Plays as an attacking midfielder/right winger, would love if Liverpool went after him.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #40: Mar 25, 2011 06:00:00 pm
      We all dream of a team of Lucas's....
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #41: Mar 28, 2011 02:31:25 am
      Today the goalkeeper Rogério Ceni scored the 100th goal of his career.

I really dislike him as a person, but you have to understand why he's São Paulo FC greatest idol of all time. In 20 years at the club, he has won every title he could with them, making great saves (he was the MOTM in the World Club Championship vs Liverpool in 2005) and scoring a lot of goals in the way.

Number of gols year by year:

1997 - 3 (3 free kicks)
      1998 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      1999 - 5 (3 free kicks & 2 penalties)
      2000 - 7 (6 free kicks & 1 penalty)
      2001 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      2002 - 5 (5 free kicks)
      2003 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      2004 - 5 (4 free kicks & 1 penalty)
      2005 - 21 (11 free kicks & 10 penalties)
      2006 - 16 (10 penalties & 6 free kicks)
      2007 - 10 (8 penalties & 2 free kicks)
      2008 - 5 (4 penalties & 1 free kick)
      2009 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      2010 - 8 (6 penalties & 2 free kicks)
      2011 so far - 5 (3 free kicks & 2 penalties)

To make it even better for their fans, his 100th goal gave São Paulo a win against their arch rivals Corinthians. It was a brilliantly taken free kick btw, as you can see here:

Gol 100 Rogério Ceni - Centésimo gol do goleiro artilheiro do São Paulo (alta qualidade)
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #42: Mar 28, 2011 02:37:28 am
      That's some going! Great record for a keeper. I remember buying him on FM a few years back and he was pretty decent in it. He has scored in every season now for a good while but did he take any set pieces in the years before he started scoring them?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #43: Mar 28, 2011 11:29:19 am
      I think the best ever Malaysian footballer was Mokhtar Dahari.

In 1975, Malaysia beat Arsenal 2-0 with Mokhtar scoring two goals. It was rumoured he was offered a chance to play for Arsenal.

Also, he dribbled past half the England team to score in the 1-1 draw in 1978.

He passed away at 38 years of age from Muscular dystrophy. Don't think Malaysia will ever have a player like him anymore.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #44: Mar 28, 2011 03:30:58 pm
      Today the goalkeeper Rogério Ceni scored the 100th goal of his career.

I really dislike him as a person, but you have to understand why he's São Paulo FC greatest idol of all time. In 20 years at the club, he has won every title he could with them, making great saves (he was the MOTM in the World Club Championship vs Liverpool in 2005) and scoring a lot of goals in the way.

Number of gols year by year:

1997 - 3 (3 free kicks)
      1998 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      1999 - 5 (3 free kicks & 2 penalties)
      2000 - 7 (6 free kicks & 1 penalty)
      2001 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      2002 - 5 (5 free kicks)
      2003 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      2004 - 5 (4 free kicks & 1 penalty)
      2005 - 21 (11 free kicks & 10 penalties)
      2006 - 16 (10 penalties & 6 free kicks)
      2007 - 10 (8 penalties & 2 free kicks)
      2008 - 5 (4 penalties & 1 free kick)
      2009 - 2 (2 free kicks)
      2010 - 8 (6 penalties & 2 free kicks)
      2011 so far - 5 (3 free kicks & 2 penalties)

To make it even better for their fans, his 100th goal gave São Paulo a win against their arch rivals Corinthians. It was a brilliantly taken free kick btw, as you can see here:

Gol 100 Rogério Ceni - Centésimo gol do goleiro artilheiro do São Paulo (alta qualidade)
      I believe he has scored more from free kicks than Ronaldo, Messi , and many more supposedly great takers. Being a good player dont guarantee being good at FKs.

Best taker you ever saw?
      Ill go with Pablo Javier Bengoechea. He scored maybe 1 out of 3, and most impresing was that he ALWAYS scored when his team needed( the equalizer or the one to take lead).
      Another one was Juninho, great taker. And dont get me started about old Brazilian players.
      Folha seca! Take it away Diego!!

Uruguay - Gol de Pablo Bengoechea Copa America 1995
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #45: Mar 28, 2011 11:32:17 pm
      Have to throw a Dutch name in there QuicoGalante, Ronald Koeman. Had a fantastic right foot, great long distance shots and free kicks. Scored almost 200 goals in a bit over 500 games, not bad for a center back.

Quick Reply