Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Football around the world

Read 163661 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #69: Apr 03, 2011 03:33:31 pm
      Thank you Adryan, excellent explanation.  :) I forgot that Birmingham and Bolton/Stoke are going to Europa. That isn't noted in the ESPN table.

No problem, mate.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself then it hit me - they only show the primary way to qualify ;)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #70: Apr 03, 2011 10:32:27 pm
      Porto have just won the Portuguese league after beating Benfica by 2-1.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #71: Apr 11, 2011 02:11:07 am
      Going to the Stadium on Tuesday to watch PeƱarol play Independiente for the Libertadores Cup. We are finally revealling the worlds largest football flag. Almost 400 meters by 50 meters, it will cover about half the Centenarios stands.

Ill try and get it on film and upload it, but if it all goes well, it will be something to remember.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/1662/uruguay/2011/04/11/2437021/pe%C3%B1arol-to-unfurl-worlds-biggest-banner-in-copa-libertadores
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011 02:14:17 pm by QuicoGalante »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #72: Apr 13, 2011 03:12:57 am
      As promised, the worlds largest banner- Ill try and get some official footage
      It was Mighty impressive, covering half the stands, and its a really ig stadium

La Bandera de PeƱarol, la mas Grande del Mundo
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #73: Apr 13, 2011 03:33:54 am
      As promised, the worlds largest banner- Ill try and get some official footage
      It was Mighty impressive, covering half the stands, and its a really ig stadium

La Bandera de PeƱarol, la mas Grande del Mundo

Boss that. Although I guarantee it would be called a fire hazard in this country!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #74: Apr 13, 2011 04:55:09 am
      Going to the Stadium on Tuesday to watch PeƱarol play Independiente for the Libertadores Cup. We are finally revealling the worlds largest football flag. Almost 400 meters by 50 meters, it will cover about half the Centenarios stands.

Ill try and get it on film and upload it, but if it all goes well, it will be something to remember.

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/1662/uruguay/2011/04/11/2437021/pe%C3%B1arol-to-unfurl-worlds-biggest-banner-in-copa-libertadores

Awesome.

Kudos to Penarol fans!
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #75: Apr 13, 2011 09:04:34 am
      I think the first thing to know is, England, Spain and Italy have four spots for the Champions League and three spots for the Europa League.

Because the Spanish and Italian Leagues have one League competition and one cup (Copa del Rey and Coppa Italia) and the English league has one League competition and two cups (League Cup and FA Cup), Spanish and Italian leagues get two places to Europa League from league standings alone.

So, in short, 1st to 4th teams of all leagues get Champions League while 5th in England gets Europa League but 5th and 6th in Spain/Italy get Europa League.

As I've said, all three leagues have four teams going into Champions League and three teams into Europa League.

The Seven are

England - 1st - 4th Champions League
                 - 5th Europa League
                 - FA Cup winners to Europa League
                 - League Cup winners to Europa League

Spain/Italy - 1st - 4th Champions League
                     - 5th and 6th Europa League
                     - Copa del Rey/Coppa Italia winners to Europa League

For the Premier League, in the case in which a team finishes in the top five and also wins a cup competition, the place is given to the next team in the league standings.

Since Birmingham won the League Cup, they get Europa League. Since the FA Cup Final is between Man United/Man City vs Stoke City/Bolton and the fact that Man United and Man City are definitely top five finishers, the next Europa League spot goes to Bolton/Stoke.

Portsmouth and Aston Villa got the places from the FA Cup and League Cup but Portsmouth couldn't enter due to administration issues.

I think that's how it works.
      AD this year if a team in 5 wins the FA cup, 6th gets EL.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #76: Apr 13, 2011 11:17:24 am
      AD this year if a team in 5 wins the FA cup, 6th gets EL.

No, the runner-up gets the EL place.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #77: Apr 13, 2011 12:02:07 pm
      Here is some more footage. Not of the best quality.
      SALIDA A LA CANCHA DE PEƑAROL CON LA HINCHADA Y BANDERA MAS GRANDE DEL MUNDO URUGUAY
      LA BANDERA MAS GRANDE DEL MUNDO EN UN ESTADIO DE FUTBOL PEƑAROL URUGUAY

La Bandera Mas Grande Del Mundo PeƱarol De Montevideo

It was considered a fire hazzard here as well, but authorities decided to place extra firemen, and that was it.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011 04:11:24 pm by QuicoGalante, Reason: Added videos »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #78: Apr 13, 2011 12:07:40 pm
      Thank you guys for the comments, it was really something to remember!
      The flag was entirely payed by the fans, no sponsors involved.

360 View of the Massive flag
      http://uruguay360.com.uy/uruguay/montevideo/la-bandera-mas-grande-del-mundo-pe%C3%B1arol-vs.-independiente
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011 05:13:04 pm by QuicoGalante, Reason: added 360 view »
      rfbn
      Reply #79: Apr 17, 2011 10:10:03 am
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #80: Apr 18, 2011 01:55:58 pm
      My God watch the first goal. Wait for the replay, its amazing. Reminds me of the Francescoli goal against Poland. Its on the PeƱarol win against the Uruguayan Liverpool. Yes, most of our clubs were founded by the English in the 19th cenury and beginning on the 20th, and many have english names. We have Albion,Wanderers, Liverpool, etc,etc

Liverpool 2 - PeƱarol 4 - Clausura 2011 - 17/04/2011 - [url=http://www.videosmanya.com]www.videosmanya.com[/url]
      EnzoĀ“s
      Gol de Francescoli Vs. Polonia
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #81: Apr 26, 2011 04:04:37 pm
      A big well done to Knowsley Youth for finally winning the Dallas Cup, previously won by teams like Corinthians, Real Madrid, and Barcelona.

U19: No Dallas Cup age group champion celebrated with the gusto of U19 winner Knowsley Youth.

The club, from suburban Liverpool, England, wanted to soak up its 4-2 victory over Ajax Gunners from Ajax, Canada, for as long as possible before leaving the field.

Knowsley, a fixture in the Dallas Cup every year since 1991, was rewarded for its persistence with its first title.

Adam Black, Paul Mooney and Steve Tames scored goals for Knowsley, which also benefited from an own goal.

Sebastian Arangio and Zachary Mbolekwa scored for Ajax.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/soccer/post/_/id/11757/dallas-cup-super-group-ends-with-co-champs
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #82: Apr 26, 2011 06:14:29 pm
      Flamengo beat Fluminense last Sunday after penalties in the FlaFlu, which makes us TaƧa Rio finalists against Vasco.

If we win the TaƧa Rio (2nd round of the state championship) next Sunday, having previously won the TaƧa Guanabara (1st round), we'll be crowned champions without the need of a big championship final. If we lose, though, we'll play a 2-leg final against Vasco for the Rio de Janeiro title.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #83: Apr 26, 2011 06:31:12 pm
      Flamengo beat Fluminense last Sunday after penalties in the FlaFlu, which makes us TaƧa Rio finalists against Vasco.

If we win the TaƧa Rio (2nd round of the state championship) next Sunday, having previously won the TaƧa Guanabara (1st round), we'll be crowned champions without the need of a big championship final. If we lose, though, we'll play a 2-leg final against Vasco for the Rio de Janeiro title.

Go FLA! Hope you win it!
      I already have tickets to the match against Inter Portoalegre on Thursday. Havent seen them play lately, are they solid?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #84: Apr 26, 2011 07:35:51 pm
      Haven't seen them play much this year, to be honest. We're still in the State Championships (the Brazilian league only starts next month) and they were using mostly reserves in their Campeonato Gaucho campaign. So I only saw then play one or two games in the Libertadores. Then again, they've been one of the best teams in Brazil for the past few years, current Libertadores champions after all, so it shouldn't be easy. 
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #85: Apr 26, 2011 11:21:47 pm
      Haven't seen them play much this year, to be honest. We're still in the State Championships (the Brazilian league only starts next month) and they were using mostly reserves in their Campeonato Gaucho campaign. So I only saw then play one or two games in the Libertadores. Then again, they've been one of the best teams in Brazil for the past few years, current Libertadores champions after all, so it shouldn't be easy. 

Well, add that to the fact that we are playing like sh*te. Well, I hope we pull out a miracle. F**k, I hate being poor, all our stars have been sold . We never have the same squad for more than 2 years.

Any news regarding Seedorf, Diego?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #86: Apr 27, 2011 03:05:41 pm
      Ronaldo said this week that Seedorf is temped to embark in this 'adventure' in Brazil, confirmed Corinthians' interest and said he heard about Flamengo's interest as well.

Nothing really strong at the moment but it seems there's a possibility.

I was at the San Siro in Milan game against Sampdoria which Milan won by 3-0 and Seedorf scored one of the goals in a free kick. He was easily MOTM with his brilliant, awesome passing. I'd be over the moon if he ever played for Flamengo!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #87: May 01, 2011 03:05:32 pm
      The Dutch league is extremely exciting at the moment.

With 2 games left the table is:

1. Twente, 68 points from 32 games.
      2. Ajax, 67 points from 32 games.
      3. PSV, 65 points from 32 games.

They're all playing right now, and all winning, though Ajax might still loose points. So it'll likely come down to the last game next week when Twente is playing Ajax at home! What a game that's going to be..
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2011 03:10:59 pm by Dexter »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #88: May 01, 2011 03:13:23 pm
      C'mon Twente!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #89: May 01, 2011 03:21:17 pm
      Like Twente too Diego?
      It's pretty amazing if they manage to get their 2nd ever league win after last year's one. Considering their turnover is like ~40 million euros and Ajax's ~65 million euros(probably even more this season with the Suarez sale), and Ajax haven't managed to win the league in 7 years. Brilliant policy at Twente.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #90: May 01, 2011 03:28:22 pm
      It's not really that I liiike Twente, I don't even know much about them to be honest. But it's nice to see different champions for a change. Also the stuff you talk about them is very positive, it seems like a great job is being done at the club.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #91: May 01, 2011 03:34:44 pm
      Yeah. All that might change next season though. They're going to become a feeder club for Brazillian talents for the Mancs. :-\

Quick Reply