Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Football around the world

Read 165366 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #92: May 01, 2011 07:57:58 pm
      Flamengo x Vasco on now... Taça Rio final. Nervous!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #93: May 01, 2011 10:27:28 pm
      And we did it... ! ;)

0-0 in regular time, we won after penalties.

Unbeaten Rio de Janeiro champions ;D 32nd title.

I wish I was in the stadium, couldn't get a ticket!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #94: May 05, 2011 01:34:29 am
      Wow... after drawing the first leg 1-1 at home against Inter, Peñarol came back from a 1-0 deficit in Brazil and scored 2 goals in 5 minutes, and then defended this lead with their lives. Amazing.

Peñarol have just knocked the current champions out, I'm sure Quico is happy man at the moment
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #95: May 05, 2011 04:54:07 pm
      Wow... after drawing the first leg 1-1 at home against Inter, Peñarol came back from a 1-0 deficit in Brazil and scored 2 goals in 5 minutes, and then defended this lead with their lives. Amazing.

Peñarol have just knocked the current champions out, I'm sure Quico is happy man at the moment

You bet I am.!!! Just got home from Portoalegre(just a small drive, around 800kms), and I literally have no voice left in me.
      Just heard Cruzeiro, Fluminense and Gremio are out too. Cruzeiro was my predicted winner, so I guess now its pretty much an "anyone can win" Cup!. Hope we get the 6th!!!

Congrats on the Rio Chanpionship, my heart was with Fla on that one( hate Vasco). We have a history with you guys ( epic rumbles included), but I dont know why Ive always liked you. My adopted team in Brazil is Sao Paulo, where Pedro Virgilio Rocha and Pablo Forlan played.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #96: May 05, 2011 06:20:16 pm
      Last night is being seen as Brazilian football's worst night of all time in the Libertadores. All 4 Brazilian clubs who played were knocked out.

Out of the 4, only Gremio was expected to get out of the competition - but there was still a bit of hope for them

Inter, on the other hand, despite not impressing in their last games, were widely expected to confirm their favoritism, especially after their 1st leg result. The same can be said about Fluminense: they've not been in great form of late, and only secured qualification from the group stage in the last game, but after a 3-1 home win against what seemed to be a weak Libertad side, their fans were nearly sure they were going to quarter finals. Two goals late in the game proved them wrong though - that's particularly pleasing for me as Fluminense are one of our main rivals and I hate them with all my heart ;D

Cruzeiro was definitely the most shocking one. They are the team in best form in Brazil at the moment, by far, playing great attacking football, scoring loads of goals. They also had the best campaign of the group stage in the Libertadores. Seen by many as the favorites for the title. Then they won the 1st leg by 2-1, away from home. It looked like a won tie already.

When they conceded 2 goals at home in the 2nd half, I was truly shocked. Could never expect that. Anyway, I was quite happy because their manager, Cuca, is a scumbag of epic proportions. To his credit, he's a decent manager who usually get his teams to play good passing football; but he's an idiot, and has no self control. Last night he was sent off for attacking an Once Caldas player, when Cruzeiro were already losing - that's the kind of example and leadership he offers to his players.

He does not have the mentality to lead big teams, even though he might possess the quality. It's not even the 1st time he's knocked out of the Libertadores by Once Caldas with a great team, it happened to him in 2004 when he was the São Paulo manager.

He's managed quite a few big teams and so far only has one title in his career - a Rio de Janeiro state championship with Flamengo. I usually joke saying Flamengo are such a big club that we're capable of winning trophies even with a born-loser like Cuca.

Once in a while, Brazilian football gets a lesson of why you should not underestimate your opponents, and it was a huge one last night. Unbelievable.

Now Santos are the only Brazilian team left in the competition - perhaps they were lucky to have played on Tuesday, not last night :D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #97: May 11, 2011 07:27:46 pm
      Tragedy in South Korea. Saw a really long article about Incheon United's goalkeeper, Yoon Ki-Won, was found dead in his car and Jeju United's Shin Yong-Rok, who collapsed and still in coma.

Thoughts are with Yoon's family and friends and hope Shin comes out of a coma and makes a good recovery.
      mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #98: May 11, 2011 11:10:33 pm
      Besiktas won against Istanbul Buyuksehir Belediyespor at Turkish Cup Final. We (Fenerbahçe) can not win again. It has been 30 years. :(
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #99: May 13, 2011 02:56:20 pm
      This week on Copa Libertadores de America, quarter finals leg 1
      Peñarol from Uruguay beat Universidad Catolica from Chile 2-0
      Velez from Argentina Beat Libertad from Paraguay 3-0
      Jaguares from Mexico tied 1-1 with Cerro Porteño from Paraguay
      Santos from Brazil beat Once Caldas from Colombia 1-0

Hoping for a semifinal between Peñarol and Velez, and Cerro vs Santos

Here is the video of the reception to Peñarol at the Centenario. 6 minutes of fireworks. That song may be worth an adaptation for Liverpool, quite catchy! Its a long video,but worth a look at to what in my opinion is the most similar club to liverpool in the world. For history, backround of the fans, and struggle in present days, with recent rebirth!
      We both have 5 Continental Championships, hold record league titles, won most matches against rivals, our last golry times was in the 90s, and we are struggling to regain our place.
      We were founded in 1891, you were on 1892.

Entrada Peñarol - 2 vs 0 - Católica
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #100: May 13, 2011 02:57:05 pm
      Besiktas won against Istanbul Buyuksehir Belediyespor at Turkish Cup Final. We (Fenerbahçe) can not win again. It has been 30 years. :(
      How is Diego playing?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Ajax-Twente Dutch title game.
      Reply #101: May 15, 2011 11:15:08 am
      If anyone wants to see a good game at 13:30 UK time, Ajax plays Twente for the Dutch league title. Ajax has 70 points out of 33 games, Twente has 71 points. If Ajax wins they win the title, if Twente draws or wins they win it. They already played against each other in the Dutch cup final last week, and if that game is anything to go by, it'll be an amazing game! Twente won that one 3-2, the last goal being in extra time, 3 minutes before the ending. Should be streams to be found later on Rojadirecta.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #102: May 15, 2011 02:46:03 pm
      If anyone wants to see a good game at 13:30 UK time, Ajax plays Twente for the Dutch league title. Ajax has 70 points out of 33 games, Twente has 71 points. If Ajax wins they win the title, if Twente draws or wins they win it. They already played against each other in the Dutch cup final last week, and if that game is anything to go by, it'll be an amazing game! Twente won that one 3-2, the last goal being in extra time, 3 minutes before the ending. Should be streams to be found later on Rojadirecta.
      Ajax is winning 2-1 at the moment
      mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #103: May 16, 2011 10:47:56 am
      Fenerbahçe 6-0 MKE Ankaragücü

Spectacular victory for Fenerbahce as the canaries continued being the strongest candidate to win the Turkish crown next week. Fenerbahce brushed aside Ankaragucu with an impressive 6-0-win at the Fenerbahce Sukru Saracoglu Stadium. Captain Alex de Souza performed at his best by scoring five of the leading goals. If Fenerbahçe will wins on this weekend, we will be champion. :)

I strongly recommend to you watch goals, especially the 6th goal. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGbMBKF8xDE

mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #104: May 16, 2011 11:04:23 am

Incredibly, Sergio Ramos was not the only high profile footballer to drop a trophy off a bus in 2010/2011. Slightly more worrying for Ajax keeper Maarten Stekelenburg is that first off he is a goalkeeper and should be able to keep hold of objects whilst the bus the new Eredivisie champions were on did not appear to be open topped.After defeating FC Twente 3-1 in the winner-takes-all last day clash in Holland, Ajax went on a tour of Amsterdam parading their first Eredivisie title in seven years.

Somehow Stekelenburg managed to let the shield-like trophy out of his grasp and it rolled on to the street where a couple of fans (one in a bright yellow suit) took great delight in rescuing it.

Cue plenty of websites now suggesting Stekelenburg does not have "safe hands" and is not fit to take over from Edwin van der Sar at Old Trafford. :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exzONCxxuwc

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #105: May 18, 2011 01:51:53 am
      Anybody seen the European Championsip for under 17 by any chance last week? By accident I just saw a rerun of the final, Holland against Germany! Epic game, which we ended up winning with 5-2! Pretty awesome! Future's looking bright! ;D Think the World Cup for under 17 will be next month.

The final:

Germany 2-5 Netherlands U-17 Final 15.05.11
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2011 02:05:46 am by Dexter »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #106: May 20, 2011 12:49:32 pm
      U17 World cup starts in a couple months. England in Uruguays group.

Confirmed Copa Libertadores semifinals

PEÑAROL-VELEZ SARSFIELD
      CERRO PORTEÑO- SANTOS

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #107: May 20, 2011 01:54:31 pm
      Fenerbahçe 6-0 MKE Ankaragücü

Spectacular victory for Fenerbahce as the canaries continued being the strongest candidate to win the Turkish crown next week. Fenerbahce brushed aside Ankaragucu with an impressive 6-0-win at the Fenerbahce Sukru Saracoglu Stadium. Captain Alex de Souza performed at his best by scoring five of the leading goals. If Fenerbahçe will wins on this weekend, we will be champion. :)

I strongly recommend to you watch goals, especially the 6th goal. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGbMBKF8xDE

How much do you guys love Alex in Turkey? He's a legend in Brazil, played in 2 of the best Brazilian teams I've ever seen - the Palmeiras of the late 90's and Cruzeiro of 2003. He even played for Flamengo for a short period but those were crap days at the club and he didn't exactly shine. I think it's unbelievable how you guys have kept him in Turkey for so long. I would have thought a club from a bigger league (no offense to Turkish football, but you know what I mean) would have got him years ago. Not at this stage of his career though, he's 33 year old now...

His stats at Fener (as of Mar 09, 20011): 324 matches, 163 goals, 126 assists :D f***in amazing.

U17 World cup starts in a couple months. England in Uruguays group.

Confirmed Copa Libertadores semifinals

PEÑAROL-VELEZ SARSFIELD
      CERRO PORTEÑO- SANTOS

Saw the highlights of the Peñarol match last night, must be a great feeling for the fans to be in a Libertadores semifinal again. Glad the last Mexican club went out last night, they're in the wrong competition.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #108: May 20, 2011 02:42:43 pm

Saw the highlights of the Peñarol match last night, must be a great feeling for the fans to be in a Libertadores semifinal again. Glad the last Mexican club went out last night, they're in the wrong competition.

Velez will be hard, but who knows. We had 7 clear chances to score last night, they had 3. We deserved the win yesterday, and didnt deserve it on the first leg. Funny thing!
      Who knows, maybe we can snatch the elusive 6th title!.

Alex is a great player , something must be wrong under the hood, or he would have shone in the Big leagues.

Yeah, I dont want the Mexicans in the Libertadores, they dont invite us to their competitions! And I dont want them in the Copa America Either!!. Lets face it, they are invited for their money, they will never win it
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #109: May 20, 2011 03:38:52 pm
      Yeah exactly! It's all about the money.

Last year I didn't really want Inter to win the Libertadores vs Chivas but I couldn't stand the idea of a North American winning the Libertadores, so I ended up cheering for Inter.
      mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #110: May 22, 2011 05:11:27 pm
      How much do you guys love Alex in Turkey? He's a legend in Brazil, played in 2 of the best Brazilian teams I've ever seen - the Palmeiras of the late 90's and Cruzeiro of 2003. He even played for Flamengo for a short period but those were crap days at the club and he didn't exactly shine. I think it's unbelievable how you guys have kept him in Turkey for so long. I would have thought a club from a bigger league (no offense to Turkish football, but you know what I mean) would have got him years ago. Not at this stage of his career though, he's 33 year old now...

His stats at Fener (as of Mar 09, 20011): 324 matches, 163 goals, 126 assists :D F**kin amazing.

Alex is in place that he feel the happiest. He has playing at Fenerbahçe for 7 years and fans' love still amaze him. No doubt, he is the best foreign player in the Turkish football history. Alex is a player that establish strong links with club and he is so modest, so he will always be favourite player in the team. Also statistics show that. Fans' gush and loves , I think, create a devotion and belonging for Alex. I do not know whether you are informed about that Alex wants to became a Turkish citizen. One of the reasons that fans love him so much is that he quickly adapted Turkish culture and he likes living like a Turkish. His children go to Turkish state schools, know and sing Turkish national anthem; however almost all foreign players do not do like this things, they come to Turkish for only playing and money purposes. But Alex "loves" living in İstanbul. This devotion and his amazing performance make him a legend. Even our biggest rivals' (beşiktaş, galatasary) young players try to imitate him. He satisfied from this interest and he wants to stay Fenerbahçe as possible as.

Besides, 50 minutes later, we will play the last game of season and if we will win we will be champion. :)

edit: half time
      sivasspor 1-2 fenerbahçe
      kardemir demirçelik karabükspor 0-1 trabzonspor

table:
      1-fenerbahçe 82p
      2-trabzonspor 82p
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2011 06:58:12 pm by mr.green »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #111: May 22, 2011 06:55:32 pm
      From Austria:

Austria Vienna are still challenging for the title this season and after they went 2:0 up at Rapid's place it was too much to take for a couple of hundred on the "Block West" (their Kop).

Will be interesting to see what consequences this will have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yuy3VZK55Y&feature=player_embedded
      mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #112: May 22, 2011 07:57:01 pm
      Fenerbahçe champion!!
      We defeat Sivasspor 4-3 and complete this season with 82 points.
      Alex de Souza is top scorer with 28 goals. :)
      No doubt, today is the most glorious day in 2011 for us :)
      Fenerbahçe performed its best second half performance. In second half of Turkish league, Fenerbahçe won 16 matches of 17 games.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011 08:22:57 pm by mr.green »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #113: May 22, 2011 08:32:23 pm
      Fenerbahçe champion!!
      We defeat Sivasspor 4-3 and complete this season with 82 points.
      Alex de Souza is top scorer with 28 goals. :)
      No doubt, today is the most glorious day in 2011 for us :)
      Fenerbahçe performed its best second half performance. In second half of Turkish league, Fenerbahçe won 16 matches of 17 games.

Enjoy the Champions League and if you get any English clubs, I hope you batter them!!
      mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #114: May 22, 2011 08:43:54 pm
      Enjoy the Champions League and if you get any English clubs, I hope you batter them!!
      Thanks a lot :) I am already getting excited for Champions League. :) Fenerbahçe and Liverpool have not made match with each other yet, actually I want this because I could not find ticket in 2005 but I hope to see Liverpool in Istanbul again this time I will be in stadium. It would be amazing to watch two teams that I love :) However we have unforgettable victories against other English teams such as chelsea, man city and especially manutd.  

Quick Reply