Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Football around the world

Read 163650 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Re: Football around the world
      Reply #46: Mar 29, 2011 05:47:50 pm
      Have to throw a Dutch name in there QuicoGalante, Ronald Koeman. Had a fantastic right foot, great long distance shots and free kicks. Scored almost 200 goals in a bit over 500 games, not bad for a center back.
      Post some vids on him. How many FK did he net? To tell you the truth I didnt had him for an expert, always happy to learn!.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Mar 29, 2011 06:03:01 pm
      Those who have watched Zico play regularly says he was one of the best free kick takers ever. I have many Flamengo classic matches on DVD and he really was brilliant at that, hard to say if he was the best not having seen him play in a regular basis though. The goal he always picks as the most important of his career came on a free kick, against Cobreloa in the Copa Libertadores 1981 Final.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #48: Mar 29, 2011 06:08:28 pm
      Post some vids on him. How many FK did he net? To tell you the truth I didnt had him for an expert, always happy to learn!.
      I don't know the exact amount of freekicks mate, I just know alot of them were freekicks and long distance shots, but he did take penalties too. He's actually the highest scoring defender in the history of football. He's a legend at Barcelona because of it, made the winning and only goal in the 1992 Champions League final aswell with a freekick.

Ronald Koeman

And yeah Diego, my dad used used to always tell me Zico was the best freekicktaker aswell.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #49: Mar 30, 2011 01:39:30 am
      I don't know the exact amount of freekicks mate, I just know alot of them were freekicks and long distance shots, but he did take penalties too. He's actually the highest scoring defender in the history of football. He's a legend at Barcelona because of it, made the winning and only goal in the 1992 Champions League final aswell with a freekick.

Ronald Koeman

And don't forget that cheeky one v England in Rotterdam in 93.

The whole world could see where he was placing that free-kick, except Seaman!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #50: Mar 30, 2011 07:35:51 pm
      Dead man watches football match at the stadium; Colombia perplexed

Police in the Colombian city of Cucuta were investigating Monday who allowed a dead body in a casket into the stadium for the match between Cucuta Deportivo and Envigado.

The body of Christopher Jacome, 17, unsettled many in the stands for the Sunday Colombian championship game, which ended 1-1.

Cucuta hooligans brought the casket into the stadium as a tribute to Jacome, who was one of their number and was murdered Saturday as he played football in a local park.

Fellow hooligans apparently wanted him to be able to go to the stadium 'one last time,' the Cucuta daily La Opinion reported Monday, so they took the body from the funeral home where a wake was being held.

Cucuta Police commander Alvaro Pico described this as 'an unfortunate incident' and said some of those carrying the casket had been identified.

Cucuta Deportivo's doctor, Julio Rivera, was 'perplexed' that authorities announce strict controls on stadiums to bar violent hooligans from entering and yet let those hooligans inside the stadium with a corpse.

'They will not let in the hooligans, but they do let in a corpse. This is the only place in the world where such a thing happens,' he said.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ce_1301398034
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #51: Mar 30, 2011 07:46:25 pm
      Have to throw a Dutch name in there QuicoGalante, Ronald Koeman. Had a fantastic right foot, great long distance shots and free kicks. Scored almost 200 goals in a bit over 500 games, not bad for a center back.
      Dexter, just confirmed ,Netherlands and Uruguay are playing on the 8th June in the Centenario Stadium. Uruguay is also playing Germany on the 29th May. We are going to have to borrow Luisito´s services for this two matches :)
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #52: Mar 30, 2011 07:48:14 pm
      Dead man watches football match at the stadium; Colombia perplexed

Police in the Colombian city of Cucuta were investigating Monday who allowed a dead body in a casket into the stadium for the match between Cucuta Deportivo and Envigado.

The body of Christopher Jacome, 17, unsettled many in the stands for the Sunday Colombian championship game, which ended 1-1.

Cucuta hooligans brought the casket into the stadium as a tribute to Jacome, who was one of their number and was murdered Saturday as he played football in a local park.

Fellow hooligans apparently wanted him to be able to go to the stadium 'one last time,' the Cucuta daily La Opinion reported Monday, so they took the body from the funeral home where a wake was being held.

Cucuta Police commander Alvaro Pico described this as 'an unfortunate incident' and said some of those carrying the casket had been identified.

Cucuta Deportivo's doctor, Julio Rivera, was 'perplexed' that authorities announce strict controls on stadiums to bar violent hooligans from entering and yet let those hooligans inside the stadium with a corpse.

'They will not let in the hooligans, but they do let in a corpse. This is the only place in the world where such a thing happens,' he said.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?I=7ce_1301398034

Just saw that one on TV, and for fucks sake, that is one of the sickest things ive ever seen in a match. And Ive seen really insane things.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #53: Mar 30, 2011 07:49:26 pm
      :D Saw that, f***in bizarre.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #54: Apr 01, 2011 06:11:32 pm
      Was at the Centenario yesterday for the Libertadores clash between Peñarol and Godoy Cruz.
      The Amsterdam lads were the best. I recorded just a bit of the salute to the team.
      Peñarol won 2-1 and look great to get into the final 16, currently leading the group. Lets hope we can finally nail the 6th Cup, so elusive. We won the 5th on 87!

Recibimiento Peñarol Libertadores 2011

Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #55: Apr 02, 2011 05:32:48 pm
      For everybody who's interested in Dutch league football, the probably most important game of the season starts in 15 minutes. FC Twente - PSV. With 6 games to go PSV is 1st in the league, 1 point ahead of 2nd placed FC Twente.

edit:

A good quality stream with dutch commentary on sopcast channel 100804.
      « Last Edit: Apr 02, 2011 05:59:40 pm by Dexter »
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #56: Apr 02, 2011 06:35:58 pm
      Brilliant game so far, but still 0-0 at halftime. Twente much better, PSV knocked the ball from the goalline twice, once with a hand even so should've been a penalty.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #57: Apr 02, 2011 07:09:56 pm
      Twente 1-0 ahead after a penalty, well deserved!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #58: Apr 02, 2011 07:28:07 pm
      2-0 for Twente, what a goal! Brilliant goal by Janssen! I'll post it here later when it's youtube.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Apr 02, 2011 07:41:06 pm

I find it hilarious how organized the Japanese are, even in a football stadium, those fans in the video look like anything but a football crowd, it's more like watching a Glee episode :D
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #60: Apr 02, 2011 07:53:29 pm
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #61: Apr 02, 2011 08:43:36 pm
      The Chicago Fire will be play Manchester United on July 23rd. I hope to go to the game and see the Fire beat them. I know it won't be the main starters from Man U but still should be a good game.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #62: Apr 02, 2011 09:08:43 pm
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #63: Apr 02, 2011 09:21:24 pm

sweet goal! Is that the lad you were saying is keeping Hazard out of the Belgium team?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #64: Apr 02, 2011 09:29:48 pm
      No, that's Theo Janssen. We have actually been linked with him in the winter period. Also a really good player but he's 29. He's only been hitting his peak since last season. Not for us.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #65: Apr 03, 2011 03:00:32 am
      Can anyone explain to me why Serie A and La Liga get their 6th place team into the Europa League this season but we will not? I thought our league was considered on par with theirs? I understand the FA Cup complication this year, but it seems odd that Serie A and La Liga have this edge.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/ita.1/ita-serie-a?cc=5901

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/esp.1/spanish-la-liga?cc=5901

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/eng.1/english-premier-league?cc=5901
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #66: Apr 03, 2011 11:44:29 am
      Can anyone explain to me why Serie A and La Liga get their 6th place team into the Europa League this season but we will not? I thought our league was considered on par with theirs? I understand the FA Cup complication this year, but it seems odd that Serie A and La Liga have this edge.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/ita.1/ita-serie-a?cc=5901

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/esp.1/spanish-la-liga?cc=5901

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/eng.1/english-premier-league?cc=5901

I think the first thing to know is, England, Spain and Italy have four spots for the Champions League and three spots for the Europa League.

Because the Spanish and Italian Leagues have one League competition and one cup (Copa del Rey and Coppa Italia) and the English league has one League competition and two cups (League Cup and FA Cup), Spanish and Italian leagues get two places to Europa League from league standings alone.

So, in short, 1st to 4th teams of all leagues get Champions League while 5th in England gets Europa League but 5th and 6th in Spain/Italy get Europa League.

As I've said, all three leagues have four teams going into Champions League and three teams into Europa League.

The Seven are

England - 1st - 4th Champions League
                 - 5th Europa League
                 - FA Cup winners to Europa League
                 - League Cup winners to Europa League

Spain/Italy - 1st - 4th Champions League
                     - 5th and 6th Europa League
                     - Copa del Rey/Coppa Italia winners to Europa League

For the Premier League, in the case in which a team finishes in the top five and also wins a cup competition, the place is given to the next team in the league standings.

Since Birmingham won the League Cup, they get Europa League. Since the FA Cup Final is between Man United/Man City vs Stoke City/Bolton and the fact that Man United and Man City are definitely top five finishers, the next Europa League spot goes to Bolton/Stoke.

Portsmouth and Aston Villa got the places from the FA Cup and League Cup but Portsmouth couldn't enter due to administration issues.

I think that's how it works.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #67: Apr 03, 2011 01:15:50 pm
      Yeah, Ad explained it, they don't have an edge.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #68: Apr 03, 2011 03:27:05 pm
      Thank you Adryan, excellent explanation.  :) I forgot that Birmingham and Bolton/Stoke are going to Europa. That isn't noted in the ESPN table.

Quick Reply