Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Reaction to Torres on Sunday

Read 29539 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6731 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Reaction to Torres on Sunday
      Reply #253: Feb 07, 2011 02:49:18 am
      Read on Skysports this morning they had banners that read

"once a Red, in our hearts you are dead"

"he who betrays will always Walk Alone"

and everytime he touched the ball he was called Judas.  ;D

I was wondering something, I know what it's like to sit in that Chav crowd and watch us, it still makes me sick to the stomach what they were calling us but I wonder what Nando's reaction would have been if he heard their plastic fans calling us murderers.  >:(

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #254: Feb 07, 2011 03:13:25 am
      Was it a draw mate? Remember Cantona scoring the pen an everyone carrying on like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Was that the game Robbie scored the two great goals when he had blonde hair?

Yep, we F***ing battered them during the two league games that season and the fuckers still won the double.

F***ing David James!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 259 
      Reply #255: Feb 07, 2011 03:22:34 am
      Seeing Torres's face expression from a stand at end of game made me feel err.. just mixed, of sad to see the one we loved who stay with us for almost 4 years and one his wrong decision might destroy him, and after tried for minutes I can force myself to say it's serve you right Fernando.
      Anyway, it's seemed I will not think I do hate him, of course I'm disappointed what he did to this club, to some millions fans around the world, but anyone for sure did some mistake sometime so I decide to move on, now we have good thing to happy with, good time for our great Liverpool FC started again, and believe me, It's really our time again !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #256: Feb 07, 2011 04:23:20 am
      "he who betrays will always Walk Alone"

MoralKop
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #257: Feb 07, 2011 05:32:33 am
      I particularly love this quote: "Torres: a pawn on our chess board but the King remains".
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #258: Feb 07, 2011 06:30:01 am
      I'd say the loudest cheer of the day, was when Whorres was subed :D  Brilliant!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #259: Feb 07, 2011 09:53:28 pm
      He got what he deserved & he knows it.

He looks like a man who is racked with
      self doubt & insecurity.

I almost pity him! DO I F**k

Enjoy your big club superstar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #260: Feb 07, 2011 10:06:17 pm
      Today was billed so much to be Torres' perfect day that the entire footballing world forgot we were playing. Same happened years ago with Catona's return after the kung fu kick on the Palace fan. (think we lost that one though)

Whatever the reaction was, is or will be towards Torres, my only reaction is one of great joy because we won.

Remember the Cantona comeback mate. Proper Man Ure media love in that was. We outplayed them then they got a dodgy pen that Cantona scored and although he had a sh*te game the papers next day were waxing lyrical about him.

No mention of them being played off the park or F**k all.

Manc media scum. Winds me up somethin rotten.
      mavuto
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #261: Feb 08, 2011 09:53:23 am
      Now that the Chelsea Liverpool game is out of the way and the fact that we have our striking team in place I hope Torres regains his form against the SCUM and gives them a double whammy thrashing!!
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #262: Feb 08, 2011 10:04:37 am
      I heard Chelsea sing somehting like "your wearing our shirt, your wearing our shirt" and I couldnt make the rest out.

Anyone know what they were singing about...?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #263: Feb 08, 2011 10:11:01 am
      Now that the Chelsea Liverpool game is out of the way and the fact that we have our striking team in place I hope Torres regains his form against the SCUM and gives them a double whammy thrashing!!

I don't I'd rather United beat Chelsea to be honest, it may see United win the league, but we need Chelsea and Tottenham to drop as many points as possible for us to have any chance of securing Top4.

Don't know about you, but I'd give anything to see us competing in the Champions League next season, considering our first half of the season and that includes United winning number 19.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #264: Feb 08, 2011 10:41:49 am
      I don't I'd rather United beat Chelsea to be honest, it may see United win the league, but we need Chelsea and Tottenham to drop as many points as possible for us to have any chance of securing Top4.

Don't know about you, but I'd give anything to see us competing in the Champions League next season, considering our first half of the season and that includes United winning number 19.

Tend to agree there Daz.  As much as it'll hurt seeing the scum take no.19 it will be worth it if it means we are back in the CL. 

It's only a matter of time (May 2012) till we win our 19th, then watch us leave everyone in our wake as we head for no.20 and beyond  ;D

Obviously the ideal scenario will be top 4 for us and either Arsenal or City taking the title but I wouldn't want to appear greedy  :angel:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #265: Feb 08, 2011 10:50:22 am

Nil-nil draws, for me. ...for both clubs and in every game until the end of the season (bar when we beat the scum 4, of course).

We'd have the double dunter then; Scum - no 19 and Chavs - no top four.  ;D

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #266: Feb 08, 2011 12:28:48 pm

Have to agree with that. Champions League qualification would do alot of good for our current players and players would we want to sign.

So what if the Mancs win number 19 ... we'll just win it the next season   :P
      mavuto
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #267: Feb 08, 2011 12:31:20 pm
      Agreed on all points. However, put aside the logic, common sense and the final league table.... don't tell me none of you will cheer any louder if Torres scores against the scum!!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #268: Feb 08, 2011 12:31:54 pm
      United are of firm belief that if/when they get their 19th the world will stop and knighthoods will be passed around.

Mind you......
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #269: Feb 08, 2011 12:33:23 pm
      I particularly love this quote: "Torres: a pawn on our chess board but the King remains".

That quote is brilliant who said it?
      redjames83
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #270: Feb 08, 2011 04:19:10 pm
      The build up to the match was all about Fernando Torres but he wasn't exactly a different player. Hardly looked like a player who is 'happy here'.

I'm just glad we beat Chelsea and managed to see the looked on Fernando's face.

Couldnt agree more! Torres looked as miserable and disinterested as he did with us. I was expecting him to be lively and to be a real threat, but he was non existent!

The so called slump in form might be more permanent than everybody thinks!?

We cashed in on him at exactly the right time!
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #271: Feb 08, 2011 04:43:54 pm
       there was a comment fron Torres on sky sports news from him saying that he has left a bigger club to join Chelsea. It never took him long for that penny to drop.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #272: Feb 08, 2011 10:15:37 pm
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/02/08/2343820/chelsea-paid-too-much-for-fernando-torres-barcelona-director

Chelsea paid too much for Fernando Torres - Barcelona director Raul Sanllehi
      Barca would not pay that amount, he adds
      By Subhankar Mondal
      8 Feb 2011 19:30:00   

Fernando Torres is not worth the £50 million Chelsea paid to sign him from Liverpool, according to one of Barcelona's directors.

'El Nino' joined the Premier League champions on a record-breaking British transfer deal on winter transfer day deadline and made his debut for the Blues in the 1-0 loss to Liverpool on Sunday.

Raul Sanllehi, one of Barcelona's club directors, claims the Blaugrana wouldn't have paid that much to land the Spain international striker.

"Yes it was overpriced.

I know Barcelona would not make that signing. We would not even consider it," Sanllehi said, according to Sky Sports.

The January transfer period saw a number of high-profile signings in England, with Liverpool landing Andy Carroll from Newcastle United and Chelsea recruiting David Luiz from Benfica, but those moves failed to impress Sanllehi.

"I was shocked by the amount spent, especially in the winter time," he said. "I felt the amount was very high."

Luiz and Torres Yes.

Carrolls ?     Inspired !
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #273: Feb 09, 2011 12:31:16 am
      Couldnt agree more! Torres looked as miserable and disinterested as he did with us. I was expecting him to be lively and to be a real threat, but he was non existent!

The so called slump in form might be more permanent than everybody thinks!?

We cashed in on him at exactly the right time!

Torres got too big for his boots......not too big for Liverpool.

You may be right.
      This is todays article by David Maddox.
      Hate to say.

I agree with everything he says about Torres.

After all the debate, all the hand-wringing and all the incredible conspiracy theories surrounding the departure of Fernando Torres from Liverpool, one very good reason for the sale stands out.

The striker, undoubtedly the best in the world two years ago, seemed to let that status go to his head to the extent that he believed he was bigger than one of the most famous clubs in the world.

This is not a character assassination of Torres, and there is a certain sympathy for his situation in reaching the peak years of his career at a club in transition.

But last week, and indeed all this season and for much of the last one, there was a lingering suspicion the Spanish international had lost the grounded perspective that made him such a breath of fresh air when he arrived at Anfield.

One moment, soon after he became Liverpool’s record signing, sticks in my memory.

Approached by the media in the mixed zone of a Champions League game, he politely and carefully explained, in his best English, that he would prefer to wait to speak until his grasp of the language was better.

What stood out at that time was a clear lack of arrogance. He was – in the words of then-manager Rafa Benitez – a "nice boy, from a nice family".

There was no arrogance, no elevated sense of importance, indeed almost a shyness about him, and real politeness. He seemed able to identify with the fans, and understand the tie between terrace and turf.

That disappeared over time, to the extent that over the past year or so, when approached by the media, he wouldn’t even deign to speak while rejecting their requests, instead merely issuing a look of contempt that showed just how beneath him the idea was.

In essence, that contempt is aimed at the fans, who deserve more than dismissive refusals to talk, or the sanitised sound bites they are patronisingly thrown by players and clubs these days.

With his 27th birthday approaching, Torres believes the next three years will be the peak of his career, and he clearly believed that those three years would be spent in transition at Anfield.

But his attitude over the last 18 months and his body language on the pitch during that time seems to suggest he also believes he has a divine right to honours… whether he contributes or not.

He seemed to have forgotten that Liverpool paid him handsomely to play at one of the world’s most historic clubs, a salary, in fact, in excess of £6million a year. That money ultimately, comes from the fans who buy the tickets, merchandising and TV packages which pay for those wages.

It is my belief that Torres lost the link with the fans he understood when he arrived at Anfield.

He became so distant from them, so detached from their experience, that he lost sight of what it means to play for a big club, whether they are competitive or not.

That is why his body language was so poor on the pitch this season, and why he seemed to perform in only a handful of game.

He no longer understood how much of an insult such an attitude would be to those fans who idolised him.

For a guy earning in excess of £120,000 a week, that was not acceptable, and if that sort of money and the devotion of the fans wasn’t enough for him to perform at his peak every week, then it wasn’t just the right decision to sell him, but the only decision Liverpool could make.

Kenny Dalglish suggested as much last week, when he said he was concentrating on players who wanted to play for the club. And there are many who still want to do that.

Realistically, Liverpool will take several years under their new owners to get back to the very top again, after the problems under the previous regime. But they are still a massive club, with a massive name… and a massive pull, as the signing of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, two of the most promising young strikers in the world, proved.

They are bigger than the short-term pursuit of trophies, and big enough to make their best players amongst the highest paid in the world.

But if you lose sight of the link with the supporters who make football what it is, then nothing is big enough, and it is time to go.

Perhaps he is too big headed for Chelsea already?

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/david-maddock/David-Maddock-says-Chelsea-s-Fernando-Torres-got-too-big-for-his-boots-not-too-big-for-Liverpool-article693383.html#ixzz1DPtlxkNh
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #274: Feb 09, 2011 12:42:33 am
      I thought the article above was well written. I agree with what was said.
      lemmiwinks
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #275: Feb 09, 2011 01:13:37 am
      I agree - very good article.
      If this article is on point, what an arrogant pr**k, IMO.
      By handing in his transfer request when he did shows little to no respect for not only LFC, but his teammates and most poignantly, KK.

Quick Reply