Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Keeping the Keeper

Read 44149 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Keeping the Keeper
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2011 11:25:14 am
      Really don't think he'll go, but you can't say never these days :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2011 11:26:01 am
      Why would Barc they have Victor Valdes, he is the same age as Reina, highly thought of there, A Spanish international and if you talked to Barc fans they would tell you better than Reina. Not a F***ing chance of that transfer happening
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #25: Feb 04, 2011 11:28:30 am
      Barca could come calling again. Keeper probably is their weakest area, if any, and Valdes is still a good keeper.

Doubt it, Valdes a club legend and they will need to save all there money to buy Fabregas.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #26: Feb 04, 2011 11:55:58 am
      If he does stay, i can see us coming on leaps and bounds, especially if we dig into the summer transfer market again.

He is the foundation of the team along with Steve and Carra, we cant lose any more.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2011 12:04:31 pm
      Just my opinion, but I think Valdes is pish.

Don't think many clubs have the money it'd take to sign Pepe though. I hope he can see what we are building and stays, top keeper and top man.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2011 12:20:41 pm
      Barc fans think Reina is over rated and Valdes is better so unlikely for that transfer to happen. They love Valdes there and to be honest it is a fight between him and Reina to be number 2 for Spain with Valdes currently probably more in favour after Reina horror show in Argentina a few months ago.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2011 12:40:56 pm
      Whatever the reason he did not look his old happy self on Wednesday. We did some good business with the Torres money but I really dont want to contemplate Pepe going he needs to feel as though we cant do witout him and lets face it we cant.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2011 12:43:50 pm
      Pepe has no reason to leave. A goalkeeper can be still competitive when 40 year old, so he has a lot of time to see Liverpool win trophies.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2011 01:48:32 pm
      I would be truly gutted if Pepe decided to get off at the end of the season. It would certainly be hard to digest as we are definitely a club heading directly to the top. We'd definitely miss him and replacing a goalkeeper is no easy task. Look at Arsenal.

I hope he remains committed to the club with which he can go down in history as one of the best ever players to play for the reds. Breaking all sorts of records and winning all sorts of titles. The real good times are just getting going again now.

And of course it's not a question of loyalty. I'm not naive enough to think players stick their colours to the mast and that's the end of it. Situations and environments change and that's fair enough.

But players have to realise what they'd be throwing away by leaving the reds at this present moment in time.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2011 01:57:13 pm
      The lad is Liverpool through and through and to be honest his departure would hurt more than whatisname did.
      There's some bullshit in one of the rags about manUre contemplating a bid, F**k me that would hurt.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2011 02:08:04 pm
      I think Pepe see's the bigger picture, unlike whatshisface. 

He knows he has plenty more playing years in him, unlike whatshisface, he's also a patient lad who realises that there will be trophies to win a plenty by staying at Anfield.

He's still a youngster in goal keeping terms, why move now?
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2011 02:15:11 pm
      My concern is his link with the the other spanish players, were him and nando roomies? not sure but it might have an effect on him personally, especially if he doesnt click with any of the other players, and it causes problems with family life ect.

He could look to return home if he feels isolated, but then again he could be totally happy and fully committed.

After this sage it would be so much of a relief to know if he was happy.

He is the best of the rest, and i think he is great, major loss if he wants out in the summer.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2011 02:15:32 pm
      You know i had this conversation with my mate last night he,s a manc and the same thing came up can see them or arsenal putting a bid in for him  i do think Pepe is a different breed mind and has never put a word out of place , as said goalkeepers are a lot harder to replace especially one of his standard ,could only see pepe going if the family got homesick and wanted to go , i know we thought it with the other guy ,but i really believe the Pepe wouldn,t go to another epl team, the man has oozed class since he came and not just on the field.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2011 02:28:35 pm
      I hope he stays.

He's a rock on the field, and clearly a hugely important figure off the pitch. He speaks well of the club, and must keep spirits high amongst the players.

What was shown in the Torres mini-saga is that the owners are keen to keep our best players at the club, and will only sell if those players request a transfer.

For me, it will all come down to Pepe himself, and if he decides he wants to move on, he will.

Let's hope he has more love for the club and fans than Fernando did, who taught us that talk is cheap.

I personally believe he will stay, hope I'm right.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2011 02:36:14 pm
      Never say never as the saying goes, no player is bigger and all that,but if Pepe did decide to move on there is F**k all we can do except put a huge price on his head to deter the pant-sniffers, I think Pepe is bigger and better than his compatriate and will stay with us long term, he has seen what can be achieved in a short space of time and also the long term plans of the owners, there is absolutely no reason to ply his trade elsewhere and he believes the good times are just around the corner, nah, Pepe is Scouse now, he will be staying, and hopefully t'il he hangs his gloves up.

IKWT   IFSGWT   YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2011 02:45:31 pm
      Have some of you been asleep for the past week?

Torres 'armband proved he was a red' goes to Chelsea.

Carroll 'want to stay at Newcastle forever ' goes to Liverpool.

I love Pepe as much as the next supporter but for people to suggest he won't leave is utter craziness.  Especially seeing as a lot of the rumours we heard over the past 6 months now appear to have a strong element of truth.

I don't want him to go.  I still think, even though he has made a few more mistakes this year, that he is a top shot stopper.  But I won't be saying he absolutely won't go because loyalty is something only supporters display. Not players.

Exactly, I don't understand how people can keep falling for this sh*te. He will only stay if he wants to. He has no affinity to the fans, he might like us, but he is not loyal to Liverpool.

He will look after number 1. Or number 25.

But he will look out for himself. If a big spannish club, or a United/Chelsea then he will leave IMO
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2011 02:52:45 pm
      I don't think Pepe will leave, I expect him to be our next vice-captain and to see out his contract. He must be disappointed that the Spanish army left so quickly, but I think Pepe is very popular and friendly with most of the squad anyway.   
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2011 03:20:42 pm

Love it :D
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2011 03:24:32 pm
      I don't believe in loyalty for non local players in general. But think Pepe will stay because he wants to be sure to play (not be number 2 in Barcelona or a threatened number one in a suggar daddy club having a buying frenzy), to have an important role in his team (his many declarations look like the ones of someone wanting captaincy), and has a lot of time to see the end of Liverpool rebuilding process and win titles in red. Also being in Liverpool rather than in a team with a world class defense (sorry for Skrtel), is the best for a goalkeeper wanting to be decisive, and gain points in his struggle for some national appearances.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2011 03:26:54 pm
      Thing with Pepe though, he hasn't looked dis-interested to me at all, he still has the passion and pride to put on the liverpool jersey.

Torres though, from the second half of last season you could tell a mile off he didn't want to be there.

I guess he gave Roy a chance and after the terrible start to the season he probably thought he was on a sinking ship but F**k him.

Pepe though, as much as i agree with people saying theres no loyality in football etc, i do think hes a different kettle of fish. You can just tell how much LFC means to him every time he plays.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2011 03:48:40 pm
      I dont think it would be a question of him not loving the club, it will be personal reasons for his departure.

If he did leave he would do it the right way and for the right reasons, he is much more professional than the last sausage jockey.
      Flipmode
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts |
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2011 04:43:35 pm
      Seriously, I think no other Liverpool player cares more about Liverpool that Pepe.
      I'll be bold enough to say, more so than Gerrard.
      ---remember Gerard even considered handing in a transfer request not too long ago.

If he does go, which I doubt he will - hope he either goes to Arsenal or abroad

BUT DEFINATELY NOT the f****n scum! As is being touted by the F***n media!
      He will get all my wrath if he does that.

That said PEPE REINA is a club legend in my eyes....just for his passion and love for the club!
      Whatever happens...except if he decides to join scum.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2011 04:51:52 pm
      I don't think he will go, not because "Hes more loyal than Torres", we've seen the loyalty of a footballer enough in the last 6 months, it doesn't exsist, all that exsists is personel gain.

I simply don't think he will go because there is nowere to go, he won't go to United and I don't think Arsenal have the balls to make a bid. All the other top clubs already have established keepers.

Same here.

Although I think he's shown more loyalty than Torres over the years. You never see him giving anything but 100%

Quick Reply