Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Keeping the Keeper

Read 44145 times
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Re: Keeping the Keeper
      Reply #483: Mar 05, 2011 08:18:03 pm
      He was too busy giving Ferguson a reach-around to be asked that question.
      Is this supposed to be another anti-Carra pop?
      Seriously if this is how people treat loyal servants to the club who have done great things for us why the F**k would players want to stay? Jamie Carragher has done a lot for Liverpool. People need to show him some respect!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #484: Mar 05, 2011 08:28:30 pm
      Is this supposed to be another anti-Carra pop?
      Seriously if this is how people treat loyal servants to the club who have done great things for us why the f**k would players want to stay? Jamie Carragher has done a lot for Liverpool. People need to show him some respect!
      you never miss the water till the well runs dry,and the same can be said about our serving legends and thats what carra and stevieg are ,what people don"t realise is that our players more than likely read these threads ,i know if i was stevie my confidence would have been at an all time low after the westham match reading some of the kneejerk reactions about him and his performance.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #485: Mar 05, 2011 08:35:12 pm
      you never miss the water till the well runs dry,and the same can be said about our serving legends and thats what carra and stevieg are ,what people don"t realise is that our players more than likely read these threads ,i know if i was stevie my confidence would have been at an all time low after the westham match reading some of the kneejerk reactions about him and his performance.

I'm pretty sure that Stevie, or any other player for that matter, knows when they've played bad and reading things like forums or papers won't affect them as much as criticism of the manager and certainly not as much as his own self-criticism.

I agree with what you said about not missing what you have til their gone. Hyypia and Arbeloa are big stand-out players for me recently.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #486: Mar 05, 2011 09:01:20 pm
      I'm pretty sure that Stevie, or any other player for that matter, knows when they've played bad and reading things like forums or papers won't affect them as much as criticism of the manager and certainly not as much as his own self-criticism.

I agree with what you said about not missing what you have til their gone. Hyypia and Arbeloa are big stand-out players for me recently.
      granted he"s a lot more strong minded than i would be but there was i thought a bit too much criticism of his performance against the hammers ,after all he doesn"t deserve it .

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #487: Mar 05, 2011 09:09:15 pm
      granted he"s a lot more strong minded than i would be but there was i thought a bit too much criticism of his performance against the hammers ,after all he doesn"t deserve it .

Why not? If players play poorly, they deserve criticism just like if they play well they deserve credit.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #488: Mar 05, 2011 09:24:37 pm
      Why not? If players play poorly, they deserve criticism just like if they play well they deserve credit.
      yes thats true ,but if he has an off day especially after coming back from injury we should cut him some slack,and if it persists then he should be criticised.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #489: Mar 05, 2011 10:09:32 pm
      For all the Pepe sympathisers, swap Pepes name with Gerrard or Carra if they came out with the comments Pepe did, and ask yourself again if you think Pepes comments are fair.

What you mean the same Gerrard who twice tried to leave Liverpool for Chelsea, or the same Carragher who once refused to play for us because he wasn't in his favoured position? Yeah they are the perfect examples mate. I tell you what where were they in Rafa's final year, my memory of that year was that Reina was one of only a few players that hadn't downed tools. Added to that he is still our goalkeeper, so I will still respect him fully. You can please yourself.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #490: Mar 05, 2011 10:23:59 pm
      Pepe isn't prepared to do the dirty on us like Mascherano and Torres did so he is being totally honest here which I give him my ultimate respect for. I would be happy for him personally to go to a club like Arsenal and I know Arsenal would have their biggest signing ever but I would be distraught at losing a player who is quite simply irreplaceable. But regardless, we don't stand or fall on one player, and we will always move on.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #491: Mar 05, 2011 10:28:09 pm
      Pepe isn't prepared to do the dirty on us like Mascherano and Torres did so he is being totally honest here which I give him my ultimate respect for. I would be happy for him personally to go to a club like Arsenal and I know Arsenal would have their biggest signing ever but I would be distraught at losing a player who is quite simply irreplaceable. But regardless, we don't stand or fall on one player, and we will always move on.

I actually agree with that post. If Pepe leaves I can see him go to Arsenal rather than Man Utd. He will be extremely hard to replace, but like you said and Pepe himself said no player is bigger than a club, so we will move on.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #492: Mar 05, 2011 10:59:50 pm
      The timing of these interviews by Pepe have been tremendous. Before big games, not exactly instilling confidence in his team mates, manager or fans.

To the average footballer, "I'm not ruling out a move" means "I'm leaving".
      To an honest one, it means "I'm not ruling out a move"  If Pepe is an honest guy, those words mean exactly what they sound like. Which could mean he's 90% sure he's staying, but he honestly couldn't say 100% that he's staying.

Either way, he's our keeper until the end of the season, so I won't stress over this until then.

And if he leaves, goalkeepers can be replaced, and we'll always be able to attract a world class goalkeeper.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #493: Mar 05, 2011 11:16:39 pm
      What you mean the same Gerrard who twice tried to leave Liverpool for Chelsea, or the same Carragher who once refused to play for us because he wasn't in his favoured position? Yeah they are the perfect examples mate. I tell you what where were they in Rafa's final year, my memory of that year was that Reina was one of only a few players that hadn't downed tools. Added to that he is still our goalkeeper, so I will still respect him fully. You
      can please yourself.

Oh do F**k off, did any say they cannot rule a move to the scum out, know your history pal.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #494: Mar 05, 2011 11:43:30 pm

Oh do f**k off, did any say they cannot rule a move to the scum out, know your history pal.

I know my history ta. Furthermore I hadn't realised Pepe had already moved to United, as I was under the impression he was playing for us tomorrow. Since you appear to be mystic sodding meg, maybe you'd like to tell me the F***ing lottery numbers for next week. I'll repeat none of us, including you know what will happen come the end of the season.

I'll say something else it is true that we once had a policy not to sell players to our nearest rivals, but since that tit Purslime saw fit to stick a buy out clause on all our best players we are no longer able to influence where players go should they leave. I'll be very surprised if Pepe ends up at United, as he will fit in far better at Arsenal. Just because he didn't rule it out doesn't mean he is going to do it. He is also not a scouser, so surprise surprise he does not have the same attachment to the club emotionally. That maybe hard to accept for people but it's a fact. As long as he gives a hundred per cent in a Liverpool shirt that's my main concern, and Pepe always has.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #495: Mar 05, 2011 11:49:48 pm
      The timing of these interviews by Pepe have been tremendous. Before big games, not exactly instilling confidence in his team mates, manager or fans.

To the average footballer, "I'm not ruling out a move" means "I'm leaving".
      To an honest one, it means "I'm not ruling out a move"  If Pepe is an honest guy, those words mean exactly what they sound like. Which could mean he's 90% sure he's staying, but he honestly couldn't say 100% that he's staying.

Either way, he's our keeper until the end of the season, so I won't stress over this until then.

And if he leaves, goalkeepers can be replaced, and we'll always be able to attract a world class goalkeeper.

Ally I think the interview was done when Pepe was away with Spain on international duty. Therefore it's the paper that has held the interview back until this weekend, I wonder why we must have a game with Man U or something on the horizan.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #496: Mar 06, 2011 01:51:58 am
      Just read the article.

Can't believe the last paragraph. Just can't.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #497: Mar 06, 2011 02:04:45 am
      He is also not a scouser, so surprise surprise he does not have the same attachment to the club emotionally. That maybe hard to accept for people but it's a fact.
      I honestly don't think that should have anything to do with it, we've had foreign players come here in the past and given everything for this club. Kenny isn't scouse, but I doubt theres many around more emotionally attached to this club than him.

If players want to leave this club, fine, as Pepe said in his interview, no one player will ever be bigger than the club. But there are ways of doing things, behind closed doors for one. Giving an interview to a mainstream UK paper and confessing "I won't commit to the club long term becuse anything can happen in football", is going to start lighting some alarm bells, which ever way you look at it.

Surely hes intelligent enough to realise this interview would go public, surely hes intelligent enough to realise his responses would leave some Liverpool fans scratching their heads. Thats the only problem I have these interviews, WHY do players do them, are they looking for abit of attention? Or are they intenionally trying to spark some speculation for their own benefit? I know one thing, interviews like this don't benefit us in any shape or form.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #498: Mar 06, 2011 10:16:23 am
      I honestly don't think that should have anything to do with it, we've had foreign players come here in the past and given everything for this club. Kenny isn't scouse, but I doubt theres many around more emotionally attached to this club than him.

If players want to leave this club, fine, as Pepe said in his interview, no one player will ever be bigger than the club. But there are ways of doing things, behind closed doors for one. Giving an interview to a mainstream UK paper and confessing "I won't commit to the club long term becuse anything can happen in football", is going to start lighting some alarm bells, which ever way you look at it.

Surely hes intelligent enough to realise this interview would go public, surely hes intelligent enough to realise his responses would leave some Liverpool fans scratching their heads. Thats the only problem I have these interviews, WHY do players do them, are they looking for abit of attention? Or are they intenionally trying to spark some speculation for their own benefit? I know one thing, interviews like this don't benefit us in any shape or form.

Swings and roundabouts mate Jamie Carragher can do yet another article on how much he respects Slur Alex, and what great players Neville and Beckham are yet, no one on here raises an argument. The guy is always going on about Ferguson how good he is, could he also not do it just before we're due to play them! 
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #499: Mar 06, 2011 10:37:07 am
      As much as I agree with what your saying and see were your coming from.

I just don't think giving an interview respecting the job Ferguson has done for the Mancs could be classed in the same situation as not ruling out a move to joining them. Something I could just never see Carragher doing.

But its a matter of how you look at each interview I guess, we will have to agree to disagree. :P

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #500: Mar 06, 2011 12:09:43 pm
      Gave the interview a month ago apparently.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 994 posts | 68 
      Reply #501: Mar 06, 2011 12:24:11 pm
      F*ckin sick of all this will he stay or will he go.
      He's beginning to sound like his mate who f*cked off to the chavs.
      He's also not performing at his best - sound familiar?
      I suggest he keeps his focus on his job and if he goes at the end of the season then good luck to him.
      If he ends up at manure then he will have learnt nothing from being at our club.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #502: Mar 06, 2011 01:19:44 pm
      Old interview brought out just before a big game as usual but we shouldn't be naive to think that Pepe will definately not leave.

I want him to stay but if he doesn't want to be here then the best thing the club can do is get to sorted quickly, get the right price for him and move on.

Like I've said before we don't want to be searching for a top class goalkeeper at the end of August.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #503: Mar 06, 2011 08:30:07 pm
      Well there you go Pepe.

3-1 versus the Mancs.

Think you know the answer where your future lies.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #504: Mar 21, 2011 12:17:30 pm
      Reina drops quit hint
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6824413,00.html
      Reds keeper wants to challenge for honours

Last updated: 20th March 2011  

Reina: Wants to be competative

Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina has hinted he could quit the Merseysiders unless they strengthen and become competitive again.

The Spaniard joined from Villarreal in 2005 and is used to fighting for the titles and playing UEFA Champions League football for the club.

However, The Reds' plight has declined in recent seasons and having finished seventh last season The Reds now sit sixth 21 points adrift of leaders Manchester United.
      The club invested heavily in January following Fernando Torres' departure to Chelsea after landing the likes of England international Andy Carroll and Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez.
      Reina wants to play for a competitive team and lift the Premier League title as the 28-year-old does not know how many years he has left in the game.

Strengthen

"We have to strengthen," Reina told the Daily Star. "If we want to improve then we have to do that.

"It is our duty to be strong, to get better.

"The only thing I can do is train and do my best. Who knows if I have got years left?

"It's not about being patient. It's about the club winning and I want to be competitive.

"We used to fight to be among the top team and be in the Champions League.

"Sadly that's not the case now. I want to win titles."

Anyone know how old the quotes are?
      Get him the golden glove and cheer him up
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #505: Mar 21, 2011 12:53:10 pm
      Once again, if you read ONLY the quotes from Pepe, he just states the obvious that he wants to win trophies. At no point does he say he'll have to leave to fulfil that ambition.

Quick Reply