Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fernando Torres was worth £70m, says Rafael Benitez

Read 15418 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Fernando Torres was worth £70m, says Rafael Benitez
      Reply #23: Feb 04, 2011 02:27:43 pm
      Just a pity looking back that we didn't sell him for £70million when we had the chance. We certainly havent seen a fully committed player since then, and I doubt we would be in a much worse position IF we had been allowed to invest that money in players. On the other hand would we ever have seen that £70million again under those robbing bas**rds? 
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Feb 04, 2011 02:30:07 pm
      would we ever have seen that £70million again under those robbing bas**rds?  

No.

We're lucky to have NESV who were prepared to pump that money back into the club immediately.

If he had left under Hicks and Gillett, we wouldn't have see a penny. Fact.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #25: Feb 04, 2011 02:30:15 pm
      Hate to say it but Ronaldo was a different class from Torres.

He was incredible, single handedly won the scum at least 2 premierships. Pace, strength, skill, incredible in the air, could score from 40 yards, and most importantly never ever got injured. Best footballer I've seen live by a stretch.

He may have done just that mate, but bear in mind the season he pipped Torres to the golden boot a lot of his goals came from set pieces and penalties, all of Nando's goals came through open play, granted he is a striker, but that was one hell of a goal haul from open play, which you probably won't see from another premiership striker for around another decade.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #26: Feb 04, 2011 03:01:59 pm
       Well I'm not going to get involved in yet another debate about Rafa Benitez and whether or not he should ever be our manager again, everyone has their own views on that. As for Torres being worth 70 million when he was at his very best, he probably was worth at least that if he's worth 50 million now and hasn't tried an inch all season. Whether or not it's helpful or useful to spend too much time discussing it is entirely another matter.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2011 05:11:35 pm
      I've got no doubt that he'll be back one day.

The part when he says, "Kenny is doing well now, I have to wait" sort of shows that he'd be happy to take the job again now but he knows he'll have to wait for another time in the future.

I'd guess he'll go off somewhere else for now and some time in the future, he'll come back with even more experience.

Anyway, thanks for the continual support Rafa :) YNWA
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2011 05:30:29 pm
      Those who slag Rafa should realize that when he was manager under H&G he got no support. Remember it wasn't long ago that we flirted with the possibility of administration. Do we assume players are stupid and have no ambition. Remember Gerrard almost left us until he saw the possibility of tangible success and investment. The last two seasons under Rafa saw absolutely no investment rather it was asset stripping. I know Rafa has made a few mediocre signings and that is precisely because of the lack of investment which forced him to settle for players who came cheaper eg Riera instead of silva. Players want to see ambition displayed by their clubs especially world class ones. Although I am beginning to dislike torres I cannot but help but empathize with him in some manner especially when the board gave him assurances of investments and then brought in the world class poulsen and Konchesky. Alonso left and no replacement (Aqua injured), Masch left and we got poulsen. Who wouldn't notice the lack of ambitions. Players such as C Cole linked to partner Torres or huth and I could go on forever. If memory serves me right Torres pointed out that the squad needed investment way back in the feb of 2009. Moreover which player would like to play the football dished out by Roy who even had the vision to send Aqua on loan who sadly we will never see again in a liverpool shirt. A world class midfielder sent on loan and in his place we have poulsen. I think when we direct accusations to Torres, Masch or for that matter Rafa we have to keep in mind  the circumstances in which they operated and not forget that they too are humans and not perfect. I for one blame the bumbling excuse of a board which brought us to the brink of administration sold our best players, meddled in the signing of Keane etc. To be honest I feel torres is right in his career choice but the way he left us leaves a bad taste in the mouth considering that we are going to be challenging for major honours very soon. I just wish torres would have shown a little bit of faith in our club and hung around just a bit longer and that is what true fans do and which I expected Torres to also do but on course that's in history, we move on and there is not better way of showing that by getting Suarez and Carrol. For now Kenny is the perfect man but when he does go hopefully not in the near future I would love Rafa to come and show why he is regarded as one of the best managers around.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2011 05:32:15 pm
      I think what eurored is saying mate is this.

This Club is on a major high at the moment. The reason for that high is Kenny Dalglish. Kenny inherited a squad that was low on confidence, in fact it was shot to pieces. That in part was due to Rafa and Roy. Roy took a squad from Rafa that was severely underperforming, Roy added inferior players to that squad and it deteriorated to the point that Roy was sacked.

Kenny came in and totally ripped up the styles of football that we played under both managers. These players are now playing better football and playing with more freedom. Something that was denied them by Rafa and Roy.

We are entering a new era, Dalglish will be here for at least another 5-6 years. Rafa has gone now, if people want to massage his ego then there is a thread for that, we don't need to see stuff regurgitated about previous managers in the Kop section.

I have a lot of respect for Rafa but his time has gone, seeing lots of posts hinting at a return is not needed. Whether he'll return in the future or not we'll have to wait and see, there is absolutely no point in dwelling on it.

Liverpool Football Club is progressing at a fantastic rate. That is down to Kenny, the players, the owners and the fans. Let's concentrate all our efforts on them and not the past.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2011 05:34:09 pm
      Whether or not it's helpful or useful to spend too much time discussing it is entirely another matter.

Hear hear.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2011 06:52:46 pm
      Thats exactly what I was trying to say HardCore. Thanks.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2011 07:22:29 pm
      I saw this this morning and thought "What ever"

I feel the most important word here is not £70m, but was.

Since last year, IMO, Torres, was been poor. Remember Spain were concerned we would "injure" him for the World Cup. So there have been concerns about his fitness for a while.

May be he was worth £70m some time ago, but is that figure only relevant because of the £80m Real paid for Ronaldo?

Personally I feel £50m for him is too much.

Now £35m for Carroll? Too much? may be, but is Carroll worth £10m less than Torres, probably.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2011 07:25:29 pm
      Torres has done nothing over the last 18 mounths to justify a 50 million price tag, never mind 70 million!

I think we got a better deal than the Chavs. We had 1 striker, now we have two, and both are younger than Torre$.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2011 08:01:24 pm
      Who is doing the whining and the moaning here?
      Why is it that Rafa feels the need to keep jumping up like a Jack In The Box making comments.
      Yes. Probably worth more if we had had the real Torres not the...

"I really couldnt give sh*t but wait its the Chelsea game" Torres.

Dont forget the motto. The lower the fee the higher the wages.
      Money For Nothing ... That kid aint dumb.

Anyway Rafa. Just on the number of games you could count on your hand the King has got us to 7th.

Remember that number?

Do you F***ing cream your pants everytime you see a chance to give a stupid little comment about Rafa these days? F***ing hell.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2011 08:10:16 pm
      Rafa was unbelieveably complimentary to the club in the interview, people should stop trying to look for any F***ing excuse to F***ing  have a hop off him.

Last week he was doing voluntary work for the Hillborough charity. The man is a F***ing legend and people should shut the F**k up slagging him off.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2011 08:15:10 pm

Sad thing about that is, Torres will most likely live to regret his decision, he went from Hero to Zero over night when he could have quite easily become a legend and went down in history as one of the greatest ever players to wear a red shirt.

Sad really sad.

I'm just imagining Torres in his mid 30's, career over,  with just an FA cup runners up medal to show for his club career that was won with chelsea, knowing that if he had stayed on at Liverpool he'd of won the league 2012-2013 and been a legend for eternity.....
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2011 08:17:02 pm
      £50million for a player who has been injured mostly and out of top form for 18 months.

He WAS £70million but £50million was brilliant!
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2011 08:23:41 pm
      The point that is being missed is that if he was sold for £70 million last year this would have gone straight to H & G and the club would not have seen a penny of this. He is still a great problem, but surely his value has dropped as he has been S**te for 95% of this season
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2011 09:57:03 pm
      Do you f**king cream your pants everytime you see a chance to give a stupid little comment about Rafa these days? F***ing hell.

Do you cream yours every time you see his name? Seems like.

Sick of whingers. 
      Fantastic job to manage Liverpool?  Just do the garden Rafa. Its over. Get over it or get a job on SSN.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2011 09:59:38 pm

Sick of whingers. 
      Fantastic job to manage Liverpool?  Just do the garden Rafa. Its over. Get over it or get a job on SSN.

Then you wonder why people take exception to your post regarding rafa.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2011 10:10:26 pm
      Its a results business Shabs.
      Thats what Kenny said the other week.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2011 10:11:09 pm

Sick of whingers. 

No i don't, i respect the man immensely though. And your utter lack of respect, and the stabs you have at him EVERY F***ing TIME his name comes up pisses me off. It's not a matter of opinion, you are simply just being completely unreasonable towards a man who has shown just as much love to this club than many others who we hold in high regard have. Would you say the same if he was a scouser? Because if we went on attitude alone, i'd hardly be able to pick him apart from the likes of Stevie and co.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2011 10:13:38 pm
      He was worth 70 million 2 years ago. I think 50 million now was a good deal. He will never be as good as he was 2 years ago.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2011 10:20:12 pm
      Rafa was unbelieveably complimentary to the club in the interview, people should stop trying to look for any f**king excuse to f**king  have a hop off him.

Last week he was doing voluntary work for the Hillborough charity. The man is a f**king legend and people should shut the f**k up slagging him off.

corbally mate, Rafa has his own thread. The only manager i want to see being discussed is our current manager. He is the man to take this Club forward, Rafa is not coming back just yet. We know of all the great work he's done and still does. F**k me, it's like a F***ing wankfest when his name gets mentioned. We know he's a great man but we don't need it rammed down our throats every single F***ing day!.

Rafa said Torres was worth £70 million - So F***ing what, it means sh*t.

Rafa wants to come back as manager one day - i'm sure he will, but he should get on with his life until that opportunity arises.

He says lovely things about us - so do loads of other people and ex managers. They don't keep getting constantly F***ing mentioned in here though.

It will be a good 5-6 years until Rafa gets a chance to come back, i suggest he gets another job, preferably longer than 6 months next time. I genuinely love the man but he had his first stint, he's like a jealous ex.

Even if Kenny offered him an assistant role, he wouldn't take it because he would feel it is beneath him. His time will come again but not anytime soon.

Let it go people.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2011 10:23:47 pm
      Hardcore hit the nail on the head with his first post for me.

Quick Reply