Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Fernando Torres was worth £70m, says Rafael Benitez

Read 15489 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Fernando Torres was worth £70m, says Rafael Benitez
      Reply #46: Feb 04, 2011 10:32:52 pm
      I think what eurored is saying mate is this.

This Club is on a major high at the moment. The reason for that high is Kenny Dalglish. Kenny inherited a squad that was low on confidence, in fact it was shot to pieces. That in part was due to Rafa and Roy. Roy took a squad from Rafa that was severely underperforming, Roy added inferior players to that squad and it deteriorated to the point that Roy was sacked.

Kenny came in and totally ripped up the styles of football that we played under both managers. These players are now playing better football and playing with more freedom. Something that was denied them by Rafa and Roy.

We are entering a new era, Dalglish will be here for at least another 5-6 years. Rafa has gone now, if people want to massage his ego then there is a thread for that, we don't need to see stuff regurgitated about previous managers in the Kop section.

I have a lot of respect for Rafa but his time has gone, seeing lots of posts hinting at a return is not needed. Whether he'll return in the future or not we'll have to wait and see, there is absolutely no point in dwelling on it.

Liverpool Football Club is progressing at a fantastic rate. That is down to Kenny, the players, the owners and the fans. Let's concentrate all our efforts on them and not the past.

You're on a roll today mate ...... another good post
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #47: Feb 04, 2011 10:34:59 pm
      You're on a roll today mate ...... another good post

I'm just sick to death of seeing posts about Rafa all over the Kop threads when Kenny is in charge. There will be no comeback, Kenny is here for the long haul. People need to accept that.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #48: Feb 04, 2011 10:45:47 pm
      Kenny is where he belongs
      Should of been there 10 years ago

The Mancs wouldn't be closing in on 19
      if he had of been........

Kenny Must Stay...

£50 mill was an absolute deal for sulky bollox

Rafa was right he WAS worth more
      2 years ago......

Good Riddance Traitor..
      shaunchef
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 746 posts | 11 
      • JFT96 YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #49: Feb 04, 2011 10:47:24 pm
      Yawn!
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #50: Feb 04, 2011 10:56:11 pm
      I'm just sick to death of seeing posts about Rafa all over the Kop threads when Kenny is in charge. There will be no comeback, Kenny is here for the long haul. People need to accept that.

I don't think there is one fan on here that doesn't accept that. We all are fully behind Kenny. I don't want him going anywhere for as long as can be. He's ours. He's perfect for the job. We all F***ing love him.

That doesn't mean people can't admire Rafa just like we admire past players and managers alike.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #51: Feb 04, 2011 11:23:36 pm
      I don't think there is one fan on here that doesn't accept that. We all are fully behind Kenny. I don't want him going anywhere for as long as can be. He's ours. He's perfect for the job. We all f**king love him.

That doesn't mean people can't admire Rafa just like we admire past players and managers alike.

I don't have a problem with that mate. i just don't want to see it all over the Kop section. That is for footballing talk regarding the Club and players. Not ex managers.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #52: Feb 04, 2011 11:29:23 pm
      I don't have a problem with that mate. I just don't want to see it all over the Kop section. That is for footballing talk regarding the Club and players. Not ex managers.

I agree with that. Keep things related to Torres and Rafa away from the Kop section.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #53: Feb 05, 2011 12:06:57 am
      Agreed hardcore, and glad to see it moved. Most will know I was a fan of Rafa, for sure. But my choice right now is 100% Kenny, and if the owners brought Rafa in now (don't think they will) I'd be disappointed.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #54: Feb 05, 2011 12:58:33 am
      ^ Same as me.

I love Rafa but Kenny should only be discussed in the Kop.
      albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Reply #55: Feb 05, 2011 01:09:29 am
      For me , the biggest thing with regard to his value , is how unprofessional he has been !!

We all knew he was frustrated , things weren't moving quickly enough for him , so to all intents and purposes he went on strike.

No he didn't refuse to play but in many games , he may as well  have done that, because he just didn't try !

He certainly didn't earn his salary. But he was our golden boy and we made excuses. The view is much clearer now!!

I don't care how frustrated he was , we had every right to expect him to give his all. He didn't.

His sulking affected everyone. He's supposed to be a professional . NEVER !!  Doctor's and nurses are professionals , they must get fed up and frustrated . Do they sulk , not try  , no they get on with it !! Plus they don't earn over £100,000 a week !

So Chelsea paid £50m for a player who is not professional in any way.

Fantastic player when things are going his way, a liability when they're not.

I think we got the better deal !!

Completely agree - top post!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #56: Feb 05, 2011 01:28:45 am
      50 million is a great deal for a player who doesn't want to be here, a player who has shown lack of effort, attitude and work ethnic for the last 18 months, a player who sulks and has an attitude like this.

Obviously, thinks weren't going well on the pitch but in the last 18 months (more like last 4 months), we finally got rid of the cancer, then Kenny was given the job and we actually spent money in January! Things could not be better for the future of Liverpool.

In probably a year's time, who knows, we might be saying 'Selling El-Basterdo' was the best move the club has made in the last few years.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #57: Feb 05, 2011 01:30:54 am
      Hate to say it but Ronaldo was a different class from Torres.

He was incredible, single handedly won the scum at least 2 premierships. Pace, strength, skill, incredible in the air, could score from 40 yards, and most importantly never ever got injured. Best footballer I've seen live by a stretch.

i agree buddy. I hate ronaldo from all of my heart but that player is in a different class. Even when Torres was is form of his life, ronaldo was in better form. I would have not admitted if Torres was still with us but the circumstances are different now. Even if you take the set pieces and penalties, Ronaldo is still a better player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #58: Feb 05, 2011 06:22:33 am
      I agree with that. Keep things related to Torres and Rafa away from the Kop section.

In my honest opinion, F**k Torres but anything about Rafa should be in the Kop section, as Corbally said, the fella recently being doing stuff for one of the Hillsborough charities and some people still want to have a dig at the man.

It's F***ing pathetic sometimes.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #59: Feb 05, 2011 09:31:13 am
      J.D. got it right when he moved the thread to here.

What on earth are we doing discussing a previous manager discussing a previous player?
      Thats what the Torres 70 mill stuff was about.

Nothing to do with pro or anti Rafa.
      History.
      Over.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: Feb 05, 2011 09:37:48 am
      ..my choice right now is 100% Kenny, and if the owners brought Rafa in now (don't think they will) I'd be disappointed.

F*ck me. Pick me up.
      At last.  Agreed on one thing.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #61: Feb 05, 2011 11:44:18 am
      If Rafa wants the job back he needs to find a club where he can succeed for the 3-8 coming years first, and I doubt this club can be a top EPL side, after making clear any club other than Liverpool would be a second choice for him (would, say, Chelsea fans like that ?), and considering his reputation out of Merseyside and the pressure english media would put on any team he leads. If he wants his family to stay and be close, I don't see a lot of good opportunities for him out of championship/just promoted sides. Perhaps one of the two scottish giants, one of the united kingdom national sides, or a rich wanabee team like Blackburn.

My advice would be pack your bags, go back to the continent (not Italy obviously, so Spain ideally, or any country where some reasonably big clubs may be happy to offer you a new start, Germany, Turkey and France being the most likely), concentrate on your new team and avoid the word "Liverpool" for at least 3 years. Get results there, then look if there is an opportunity to either take back Liverpool, or return in PL first.

My fear for Rafa actually, is he is likely to do just the contrary : manage to get the job in a big PL side where he will be hated by the fans knowing him as the fat spanish waiter and a Liverpool man, and of course the press, have difficulties with big ego stars having fond memories of their previous managers, have his team explode under maximum mediatic pressure, fail to get fast results, enter new battles with the press, other managers, his players and owners, get fired another time in less than a year, and end definitively out of big club management (including losing any chance of a Liverpool return) even if with time and less pressure he would be one of the best managers in Europe.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #62: Feb 05, 2011 07:59:56 pm
      In my honest opinion, f**k Torres but anything about Rafa should be in the Kop section, as Corbally said, the fella recently being doing stuff for one of the Hillsborough charities and some people still want to have a dig at the man.

It's f**king pathetic sometimes.

Nobody was having a go at him about his charity work for Hillsborough so i don't know where the F**k you got that idea from?, certainly not from this thread. I think the reason this thread got moved is because it was, as pointed out by another poster, absolutley F**k all to do with our current predicament. A previous manager talking about a previous player about a F***ing previous transfer value.

Everyone has a soft spot for Rafa, how could anyone not?. But seeing his name constantly dragged into Kop threads and people juicing themselves over a possible return is bang out of order and disrespectful to Kenny and the Club.

I hope it hasn't escaped people's minds that Rafa is part of the reason this rot started. We can all credit him for Istanbul and the FA Cup, they were marvellous achievements. The second place finish?, what is second place?. Ask Kenny.

It means nothing. History never remembers the losers, only the winners. Once Alonso left his management skills were tested to the limit, so heavily reliant in the belief that the Torres and Gerrard partnership was unbreakable, we suffered in the long term due to his stubborness.

Rafa was a great manager but the way some people go on you'd think he'd won us league titles and everything. A managers true acid test is the League and Rafa failed in that respect. Lost in his cross bred philosophy and unable to detach himself from it. As a result of this Rafa, the team and ultimately Liverpool Football Club suffered.

It always helps to have at least a Plan B.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #63: Feb 05, 2011 08:05:31 pm
      Just an opinion from you hardcore something a large amount for Liverpool fans disagree with me included but then it is a game of opinions
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #64: Feb 05, 2011 11:27:43 pm
      Im sorry hardcore but I got to disagree with your comments regarding rafa being responsible for the rot we find ourselves in.

You claim its disrespectful to kenny and the club of a possible return of rafa but I could not find a post to suggest the same view when roy was in charge.Rafa done us a massive favour to his detriment and In an era where loyalty is questioned (torres) I cant beleive that rafa is being battoned down for showing love and respect for LFC after all that is what we demand as fans,no?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #65: Feb 05, 2011 11:59:51 pm
      Rafa ran out of ideas, it's as simple as that. I'm not knocking him down at all lads, he had to change his system to accomodate the loss of key players and he didn't.

You can remember Rafa as this god like figure if you like, that is your prerogative and i accept that. I see Rafa as a great manager that had it all in hand, then a couple of defections brought his philosophy crumbling down around him. He was so stubborn in admitting his mistake in retaining that philosophy when he clearly didn't have the players around him to implement it anymore that his lack of forward planning cost him dearly.

What he does for the community and the city of Liverpool is great and i applaud him for that. But if you think that it makes him immmune from criticism then you are living in the land of good old fashioned sentiment. Unfortunately, sentiment doesn't win you trophies.

And for the record lads, i said he was partially responsible, though i understand why you went full on about it in your usual defence mechanism.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #66: Feb 06, 2011 12:13:12 am

What he does for the community and the city of Liverpool is great and I applaud him for that. But if you think that it makes him immmune from criticism then you are living in the land of good old fashioned sentiment. Unfortunately, sentiment doesn't win you trophies.

Then why is kenny immune from criticism?
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #67: Feb 06, 2011 12:36:23 am
      I'm sorry but you can't compare Rafa to Kenny.

Fans had 5 years of Rafa to form an opinion. Kenny has only been in the job 2 minutes.

The Rafa debate should be over, and I can't think of a member who hasn't had their say.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      Reply #68: Feb 09, 2011 02:08:47 am
      Then why is kenny immune from criticism?

Just stumbled upon this post mate. Just wondering why you have asked this question as i have never said that Kenny is immune from criticism. Where did you get this idea from?.

In all honesty Kenny hasn't made a mistake yet, he is doing everything the right way. If criticism is due then it shall be given. Kenny has a philosophy, the same as Rafa had a philosophy. The big difference being that Kenny can adapt his philosophy to adopt different types of players, it is not set in stone as Rafas was. The fundamental principles of Kenny's philosophy always remain the same, but he can adapt to suit. Something that Rafa couldn't.

Another thing too, we are asking questions of the opposition now, not the opposition asking questions of us. We are going out to win football matches now.

Quick Reply