Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Hodgson takes West Brom Job

Read 36550 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Hodgson takes West Brom Job
      Reply #207: Apr 10, 2011 04:04:37 pm
      Thats the difference managing a team without expectations is far easier than managing a team with massive History and expectations.
      he was just out of his depth now he is in his comfort zone.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #208: Apr 10, 2011 04:11:02 pm

Yes, sure we'd be top 4 by now if we had stuck by him. :f_tongueincheek:
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #209: Apr 10, 2011 04:13:45 pm
      What a fantastic manager! Get him in!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #210: Apr 10, 2011 06:17:08 pm
      Clearly the 'Hodgson effect' was more powerful than the 'Dalglish effect'.

Which one is positive? :laugh:
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #211: Apr 13, 2011 10:32:45 pm
      One of Roy's friends?  I have highlighted some interesting parts.

Full article here: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23941109-roy-hodgson-finds-his-mojo-again-and-proves-he-still-has-a-lot-to-offer.do

While Roy Hodgson's rehabilitation at West Brom does not prove Liverpool were wrong to sack him, events since he departed suggest his tenure at Anfield should be reassessed and his credibility restored.

Hodgson was unveiled at the Hawthorns on Valentine's Day when it was clear there was no love lost between the 63-year-old and his former employers after a turbulent six-month spell ended with an acrimonious split.

It is an unfortunate reality of life that reputations take years to build and moments to destroy. This time last year, Fulham were closing in on an unprecedented Europa League Final and Hodgson was about to become the League Managers' Association Manager of the Year.

Hodgson was emerging as Fabio Capello's natural successor for England, too, and a spell reviving Liverpool's fortunes would have been the natural stepping stone.

Yet a catastrophe ensued and Hodgson became a figure heavily mocked for his perceived inability to handle big players and act with authority at a club of Liverpool's size. He was out of his depth, so the consensus would have it. But at West Brom, Hodgson had little time to lick his wounds.

Rumours abound that Roberto di Matteo had been unable to control a fractious dressing room while supporters were split over the Italian's departure.

Many fans heavily criticised chairman Jeremy Peace's decision given what West Brom had achieved in Di Matteo's 19 months in charge and a defeat at moneybags Manchester City - which proved the trigger for his removal - is hardly a disgrace for any club, let alone a newly-promoted one.

But Hodgson galvanised West Brom, steadied the ship and with last weekend's 3-2 away victory at Sunderland has all but secured another season in the top flight. So why could Hodgson not have a similarly calming influence at Liverpool? Of course, the job was an altogether bigger proposition; the history associated with the Reds is among the grandest in world football.

Many Liverpool supporters will claim Hodgson did not understand the club and it took Kenny Dalglish to restore the pride to a beleaguered set of a players and fans. Dalglish's impact has been impressive but he is not a better manager than Hodgson.

Six months is not long enough to conclusively prove whether Hodgson could have been a success at Anfield but what is clear is that during that period there were decisions he was simply unable to take.

Undoubtedly the biggest of these would have been to sell Fernando Torres. Had Hodgson's first act upon being named Liverpool manager been to announce the departure of their prize asset, he would have been strung up on the bridge by the M62 next to manikins of Gary Neville and Wayne Rooney.

It would have completely undermined Hodgson's appointment - already greeted dubiously in certain quarters - and yet Torres' departure has reinvigorated Liverpool as much as anything Dalglish has done.

You have to feel for Torres - after a stunning period of form, he was a disappointing figure in a Spain squad that had enough talent to win the World Cup with him as a passenger and thereafter, Liverpool struggled badly as he led the line. Chelsea have since been thrown into attacking disarray after he became Roman Abramovich's £50million plaything.

Hodgson scouted both Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez, commenting on the latter: "He was on everyone's radar - the question was, who would have the money to buy him?"

Well, Liverpool certainly didn't and only by selling Torres could any sizeable funds be generated. While Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen have been unconvincing, Raul Meireles was a Hodgson signing and Joe Cole joining on a free transfer represented something of a coup at the time.

Hodgson, of course, had his failings and Liverpool fans were glad to see him go. This is not to argue that he was a success - far from it - but more that the conditions were such that his mistakes would never be tolerated.

Had Hodgson's Liverpool exited Europe to Braga, far more searching questions would have been asked of him than ever were of Dalglish.

Hodgson was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Keeping West Brom in the top flight is not an achievement equal to restoring Liverpool to greatness but it supports the notion that his failure on Merseyside was an anomaly rather than proof he should never again manage a big club - or even his country.
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 12:24:12 am by red_squirrel »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #212: Apr 13, 2011 11:05:29 pm
      I can't stand that man.

Clearly the media refuse to highlight the negatives. Maybe someone should put that quote where he said the next manager which comes in will do a similar job with similar players part.

Bear in mind, we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge without an injured Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez who never made it off the bench.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #213: Apr 14, 2011 12:26:55 am
      I can't stand that man.

Clearly the media refuse to highlight the negatives. Maybe someone should put that quote where he said the next manager which comes in will do a similar job with similar players part.

Bear in mind, we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge without an injured Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez who never made it off the bench.

Mental ain't it.  I don't hate the guy, I just get wound up by the constant 'it was nothing to do with me, I'm brilliant' kind of comments.  His media pals obviously still love him though.

The other thing that annoys me is that they are so blind to his tactical approach when he was here.

This will surely come back to bite them on the ass if he gets the England job.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #214: Apr 14, 2011 03:10:27 am
      Damien Comolli scouted Suarez. I don't think Hodgson ever did.

Is it weird that I'm only really starting to get pissed off with Hodgson now that he's at West Brom and saying these things? When he was Liverpool manager I admit I often gave him the benefit of the doubt. Clearly my relatively young age and not really experiencing a manager out of his depth at the club is something I just wasn't able to grasp hold of.

Don't hate Hodgson though. Hope he continues doing well at West Brom but boy was he the wrong man for this job. The media can continue bigging him up along with 'Arry and other such managers who are sadly out of date.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #215: Apr 14, 2011 10:42:49 am
      Nah, I don't believe he scouted Andy Carroll or Luis Suarez. He was after Carlton Cole or Bobby Zamora I remember.

And the fact that he didn't like playing Daniel Agger did my head in!

Many Liverpool supporters will claim Hodgson did not understand the club and it took Kenny Dalglish to restore the pride to a beleaguered set of a players and fans. Dalglish's impact has been impressive but he is not a better manager than Hodgson.

Wow.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #216: Apr 14, 2011 11:10:50 am
      All the media spin in the world can't change the facts.  Home form he was average, but we expect better, his away form was atrocious.  Just compare since Kenny took charge.  I'll chuck in Rafa's figures for his final season as well, just to emphasize how bad Hodgson was, because we all, even Rafa backers such as I, said his away form was useless that last year.  I don't think I have to mark which is which, do I?

Pos                 P  W      D    L    CS  FtS   F    A   GD   Pt      PPG
      18    Liverpool   10  1      2    7     2    4      7   19  -12   5     0.50

3      Liverpool    6   3      0    3     3    0      9    7    +2    9     1.50

8      Liverpool   19  5    6    8     7    9      18   20   -2  21    1.11
      « Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011 11:17:27 am by Roddenberry »
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #217: Apr 14, 2011 11:24:21 am
      dont worry kenny thing is sort evrything!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #218: Apr 14, 2011 11:25:55 am
      Yes, Roddenberry.

The stats are one thing but the media clearly refuse to point out that Roy Hodgson gave very embarassing interviews (for a Liverpool manager), poor approach to games tactically and poor man management skills.

In his 6 months in charge of us, I have never heard him being linked to neither Suarez nor Carroll.

Rafa gets the slack for buying 'average' players but no one says anything about the purchase of Konchesky, Jones and Poulsen which only the latter having a handful of games under Kenny.

Rafa got slacked for his zonal marking system and rotation policy but no one says anything about Roy's approach which saw us concede 25 goals in 20 league matches alone whereas King Kenny has let in 11 in 12 matches.

He knows how to make the media and probably everyone neutral to like him and buy his crap.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #219: Apr 14, 2011 11:28:55 am
      Roy Hodgson

The man who brought in Poulsen & Konchesky, sat us in the relegation zone, smiled when we were out-classed by Everton, didn’t stick up and was disrespectful to his players, settled for away points, loaned out a potential world class midfielder and got the sack due to the worst start in 50 odd years.  Again, avoids the media bullet.

"Reputations take years to build and moments to destroy"

The wankers on Fleet street don’t half make me laugh
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #220: Apr 14, 2011 02:58:06 pm
      Damien Comolli scouted Suarez. I don't think Hodgson ever did.

Project Owl probably saw him while watching the World Cup and then has the cheek to say it was him that scouted Luis!!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #221: Apr 14, 2011 03:06:06 pm
      So he's going to take credit for everything good that happens but not willing to admit he wasn't good enough!
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #222: Apr 14, 2011 05:37:43 pm
      If anyone is on twitter, you can 'have words' with the dick journo that wrote that article.  It appears some have already.

http://twitter.com/JamesOlley

One response to the statement that Dalglish is not better than Hodgson (when the stats say he is):
      I should just clarify that is based on what Dalglish has done since taking over, not past success with Liverpool/Blackburn.

I'd be particularly keen to see if he can provide any answer to the negative tactics Hodgson employed while with us.

Feel free to report back  ;D
      *HighAsAKuyt*
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #223: Apr 14, 2011 05:59:45 pm
      We better hope Roy does us some favours in the next couple of matches as West Brom face Chelsea,Totenham and Everton in the next couple of weeks.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #224: Apr 15, 2011 11:13:07 am
      Why must he only compare Dalglish's 2nd reign and not the his time back in the 1980s and at Blackburn but yet he brings Hodgson's West Brom tenure into it?

He should look at their time at Liveprool alone.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #225: Apr 15, 2011 03:20:11 pm
      He should look at their time at Liveprool alone.

Yup, he should, but doing so would not support his agenda.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #226: Apr 16, 2011 07:19:15 pm
      West Brom 1  Chelski 3.

I didn't see it, but I know west brom went 1-up.  So a case of sitting back and inviting pressure as what happened with us so many times?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #227: Apr 23, 2011 11:44:15 am
      Don't know about any one else but Today I will be cheering on Roy and his boys.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #228: Apr 23, 2011 11:55:00 am
      Yeah, me too, RLB.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #229: Apr 23, 2011 11:56:13 am
      100% agree.  Let's hope Hodgson can get another away win ;)

Quick Reply