Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Hodgson takes West Brom Job

Read 36379 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: Hodgson takes West Brom Job
      Reply #230: Apr 23, 2011 05:52:35 pm
      Roy did us a little bit of a favour today :lmao:
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #231: Apr 23, 2011 05:56:10 pm
      Roy, for the first time in your life you have done Liverpool a favour. :)
      Adabhoy88
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #232: Apr 23, 2011 06:13:54 pm
      should be the new Liverpool manager IMO......... :f_tongueincheek:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #233: Apr 23, 2011 06:19:10 pm
      Finally he does something good for Liverpool.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #234: Apr 23, 2011 07:29:52 pm
      well done woyboy.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #235: Apr 23, 2011 08:42:32 pm
      I'll never thank the man for today's result as its his fault were relying on other teams to do the business for us.

But I'm pleased they took points from Chelsea.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #236: Apr 23, 2011 08:43:40 pm
      I'll never thank the man for today's result as its his fault were relying on other teams to do the business for us.

But I'm pleased they took points from Chelsea.

I think you meant Spurs.

He did a favor today but it was his fault we're playing catch up.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #237: Apr 23, 2011 08:50:53 pm
      I think you meant Spurs.

He did a favor today but it was his fault we're playing catch up.

Yeh I did, got Chelsea on the brain with Torres scoring for them and Rafa being linked with them. :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,955 posts | 8458 
      Reply #238: May 07, 2011 12:18:28 pm
      Hodgson hits out at critics

West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson is angry that he was sacked so early on in his Liverpool career.

Hodgson had a poor six months in charge at Liverpool before being relieved of his duties in January.

The 63-year-old's Anfield failure has been followed by a successful second half of the season where he has guided West Brom to Premier League safety.

West Brom travel to relegation-threatened Wolves on Sunday.

"I would like to have thought that people wouldn't have made judgments on good and bad in the space of months," he said.

"I always remain positive. I think that in a career that has been as long as mine I'm very satisfied with it myself and I don't follow the headlines."

"If there are headlines suggesting I'm not very good or headlines that I am very good, I take it all with the same pinch of salt."

"It's a sad indictment of a 36-year career that after one period which is less than successful, people are making judgments about your ability."

"It makes it a pretty sad world for us people and professionals working in it."

Hodgson welcomes midfielder Jerome Thomas back to the side after he was ruled out of last weekend's 2-1 win over Aston Villa.

And the manager made a point of being perfectly upfront about the prospects of Chris Brunt and Steven Reid.

"Jerome Thomas has trained, so barring any repercussions should be okay," he said.

"Reid and Brunt don't have a chance and there is no point suggesting otherwise or trying to encourage people to believe they can when it's pretty obvious they aren't going to play."

Gonzalo Jara (knee) will undergo a late fitness test.

http://www.sportal.co.in/football-news-display/hodgson-hits-out-at-critics-121469

One period less than successful and there was silly old me thinking Bristol City, Blackburn and Inter Milan too!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #239: May 07, 2011 12:23:13 pm
      Just read it and thought "he really is a delusional little man".  Constantly reminding anyone who will listen, that he has 36 years experience.

So.  F**king.  What. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #240: May 16, 2011 06:09:00 pm
      Hahahhaha.

Roy Hodgson says his West Brom stars are not for sale.

And there he was, not ruling out Fernando Torres to Man United when he was here. WTF?!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #241: May 16, 2011 07:39:27 pm
      He truly does have 36yrs of experience in the game, but your latest season is always freshest in the minds of others and Owl face's last season was spent half dragging the the country's best side into the gutter and half dragging one of the lesser teams OUT of the gutter.
      It just goes to show where his expertise lies, IN THE GUTTER !
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #242: May 16, 2011 09:56:20 pm
      Wants to sign Andy Johnson for West Brom in the summer apparently.  I'm sure Carlton Cole will be on his list too now the hammers are down.

A similar standard of targets we were being linked with when he was with us.  Suggests to me that he didn't alter his tactics/philosophy or approach one little bit, despite being at a massive club.  Pillock.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #243: May 16, 2011 10:40:09 pm
      Hahahhaha.

Roy Hodgson says his West Brom stars are not for sale.

And there he was, not ruling out Fernando Torres to Man United when he was here. WTF?!

The man still makes me shudder.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #244: Aug 12, 2011 08:57:50 am

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson admits interest in England job
      • Hodgson attracted to role subject to public backing
      • 'If I can give it serious thought, I would be happy'

Roy Hodgson has said he would like to manage England when Fabio Capello steps down after Euro 2012 but he would need to have the backing of supporters and the media.

The West Bromwich Albion manager agrees with the Football Association that Capello's successor ought to be English and, as one of only seven Englishmen managing in the Premier League, he would, almost automatically, feature on a shortlist. Indeed he could be expected to do so prominently.

Hodgson, though, knows how difficult it can be in a top job if there is the general perception that you are not the right man for it. He took over at Liverpool last summer when Kenny Dalglish was the popular choice and, after a difficult five months, he was sacked xxxxx:action-smiley-065: and replaced by the Scot.

"I would rather hope that, if I was ever going to be offered the England job, it would be with the backing of the important people," Hodgson said. "That would be the media, who represent the fans and, of course, the fans :lmao:. Otherwise it's very difficult for anyone who takes the job because, even if you've got the competence and you are maybe the 'right person', you need to be perceived as the right person. And the perception of my Liverpool appointment was not right and, as a result, you end up paying for it. :mad:

"It [the England job] is not something I go around thinking about. If I get the question, I try to deal with it. I'm perfectly happy working as a club coach in the Premier League. If the day arrives when I do get invited to talk to the FA, I will see what happens then."

Hodgson enjoys international management and he has previously taken charge of Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates and Finland. "I don't think that, as someone who's managed three nations as a foreigner, I should say: 'It's got to be an Englishman :tosser: [after Capello],'" Hodgson said.

"But it would be naive of me, having been back here for four years, working and following the debates and getting a feel for the country ... to some extent, it would be very unwise of the FA to go down another route because I'm pretty sure that the country now is in the mood for an Englishman managing their national team.

"I've said that I'm English [and] a great admirer of the English national team. I think it's the most important job in the country for English football. If I can give it serious thought, I would be happy."

Hodgson admitted that he had gone to Liverpool "on the back foot", having not been "the fans' choice". But he was reluctant to row over an old story and his focus is on the new season at West Brom.

Hodgson said the club had proposed a contract to the midfielder Owen Hargreaves, having met him on Tuesday and had their doctor, Mark Gillett, examine his suspect knee, the state of which led to Manchester United releasing him at the end of last season.

"We made it clear, 'Look, we've done the test and we agree with you that the knee is OK and you can play football,'" Hodgson said. "And, of course, if you'd like to come and play for us, that would be lovely. Whether or not our offer is going to be interesting to him, that's what I don't know. I think he'll play for someone."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/11/roy-hodgson-england-west-brom

Could not make it up.

The only qualification for him being the England Manager is....... That he is English!

He does not like mentioning an "old story" (Liverpool), but I will just mention it in case you have forgotten it.

Been in the WBA job a few months, stopped them from going down, and now thinks he can do the England Job.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #245: Aug 12, 2011 09:08:19 am
      He's very good at twisting words so that he looks like the innocent party in order to get the "important people" on his side. Wants to give everyone the impression he's Mr. Nice Guy when he genuinely isn't, inside.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #246: Aug 12, 2011 09:48:15 am
      c**t.

That is all.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #247: Aug 12, 2011 01:17:52 pm
      I would hope that, at least privately, he has acknowledged that it was (very) poor signings and a very poor tactical approach that made him fail at Liverpool.  He could have won us over, but chose to be directed by Purslime in also quite seriously obliterating any expectations we had through awful press conferences, being linked with more crap players and telling us the team (and players) he inherited was crap.  Was only when Rafa pointed out a few things to him, he back tracked.

If he gets the England job, I can't see him being universally backed by the fans.
      LiverpoolJay
      • Forum Ian St John

• 433 posts |
      • Never lose hope
      Reply #248: Aug 12, 2011 01:33:53 pm
      As it is I have little faith in the English FA and almost no interest in the national team, if this happens I will have complete nothingness towards the England set up.

Roy, just a reminder what Sweden was like... You're welcome to go back.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #249: Aug 12, 2011 02:38:38 pm
      Dont UTD play them first at the Hawthorns.Come on Roy show us what your made of..... stop licking fergusons boots and win a game against him it is allowed.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #250: Aug 29, 2011 09:35:46 am
       I see Hodgson has got West Brom off to a flyer this season,will he last till Christmas this year.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #251: Aug 29, 2011 09:54:58 am
      Dont UTD play them first at the Hawthorns.Come on Roy show us what your made of..... stop licking fergusons boots and win a game against him it is allowed.
      We know what he's made of and bollocks is not an ingredient.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #252: Aug 29, 2011 06:03:12 pm
      We know what he's made of and bollocks is not an ingredient.
      The players obviously haven't given themselves over to Roy's methods yet,tried and trusted for over 30 years. :lmao:

Quick Reply