Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Best 'Pop' tune ever. ...?

Read 7544 times
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Re: Best 'Pop' tune ever. ...?
      Reply #23: Feb 18, 2011 07:13:07 pm
      "Here's a song by a gay guy."

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24: Feb 18, 2011 07:22:26 pm

:lmao:. ...and Brian sings it so well.

Definitely  'up there' kb. ...

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2011 07:27:43 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Feb 18, 2011 07:41:54 pm
      F**k, how do you pick just one? :D

Big fan of the 80's stuff myself, and one of the first songs i heard growing up was this Police one and i loved it.

The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight

Sure i'll find more though. Really can't pin down one :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Mar 03, 2011 08:48:41 pm
      Don't Look Back In Anger

Greatest song of the 90s! Drenched in nostalgia and greatness! Noel = GOD!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Mar 04, 2011 12:48:07 am
      Daydream Believer The Monkees

Daydream Believer by the Monkees  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #28: Mar 04, 2011 04:05:09 pm
      Don't Look Back In Anger

Greatest song of the 90s! Drenched in nostalgia and greatness! Noel = GOD!

Just a second rate John Lennon, have a listen to the start, complete rip-off of Imagine.

Not even Oasis' best song, Slide Away and anything from the first album is far better.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #29: Mar 04, 2011 09:31:55 pm
      Just a second rate John Lennon, have a listen to the start, complete rip-off of Imagine.

Not even Oasis' best song, Slide Away and anything from the first album is far better.

Lennon wasn't even the best solo artist amongst the Beatles! Apart from the first 5 seconds of DLBIA the rest sounds nothing like Lennon. Definitely Maybe may be a better album but (What's The Story) Morning Glory is just much more of a classic. Slide Away is a far better song but wasn't a charting single and they don't come much pop and iconic than Don't Look Back In Anger. This is a 'pop' tune thread after all!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #30: Mar 04, 2011 10:06:20 pm
      You don't have to be the best solo artist in the Beatles to be better than Noel Gallagher.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Mar 05, 2011 01:15:36 pm
      You don't have to be the best solo artist in the Beatles to be better than Noel Gallagher.

Whatever you say Noel Gallagher is without doubt one of the most talented melodists to have come out of Britain. Better than anything from the past 20 years.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #32: Mar 05, 2011 01:54:54 pm
      Lennon wasn't even the best solo artist amongst the Beatles! Apart from the first 5 seconds of DLBIA the rest sounds nothing like Lennon. Definitely Maybe may be a better album but (What's The Story) Morning Glory is just much more of a classic. Slide Away is a far better song but wasn't a charting single and they don't come much pop and iconic than Don't Look Back In Anger. This is a 'pop' tune thread after all!

You should read more interviews of Noel, he even says himself that the tune is a bit of a Lennon rip-off and is also inspired by the Stone Rose's Sally Cinnamon!

Then lets really be honest Oasis shouldn't even be in a pop tune thread. They would see themselves as more Rock and Roll than Pop.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #33: Mar 05, 2011 02:11:14 pm
      Every Pop song plays second fiddle to Thriller, it is the definition of Pop music now and forever, and this is coming from someone who isn't even a big Michael fan.

For me though hands down the 'Pop' song that describes my childhood and driving in the car with my father was Joe Cocker's rendition of With a Little Help from My Friends. I realize this isn't very poppy but this is as Pop as I get with my musical selection.

Joe poured every ounce of his being into his performances and my Dad and I would belt this song out driving home from school or running errands for my Mother.

Enjoy
      Joe Cocker - A Little Help From My Friends - Woodstock 1969
      Always sends shivers up and down me spine watching this, no way is it pop tho in the true sense of the word.
      Got the Woodstock DVD's now that's what you call a show.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #34: Mar 05, 2011 05:14:49 pm
      You should read more interviews of Noel, he even says himself that the tune is a bit of a Lennon rip-off and is also inspired by the Stone Rose's Sally Cinnamon!

Then lets really be honest Oasis shouldn't even be in a pop tune thread. They would see themselves as more Rock and Roll than Pop.

Yeah but The Police are in here and I certainly wouldn't class them as pop!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Mar 05, 2011 05:56:26 pm
      Whatever you say Noel Gallagher is without doubt one of the most talented melodists to have come out of Britain. Better than anything from the past 20 years.

You really should stop believing your opinions are facts.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #36: Mar 05, 2011 05:58:48 pm
      Aqua - Barbie Girl, obviously.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Mar 05, 2011 10:07:39 pm
      You really should stop believing your opinions are facts.

If you've got a better one then come out with it! And please don't say Thom Yorke!
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #38: Mar 07, 2011 02:39:56 am
      Aqua - Barbie Girl, obviously.

Obviously! :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #39: Mar 07, 2011 11:03:44 am
      If you've got a better one then come out with it! And please don't say Thom Yorke!

Still got this monster stirring around my brain after yesterday.

Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #40: Mar 07, 2011 01:55:17 pm
      Still got this monster stirring around my brain after yesterday.

Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough

Not bad!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #41: Mar 10, 2011 08:59:28 pm

Why couldn't I say Thom Yorke? OK Computer is one of the best albums ever. And it has creativity in abundance, something you might be adverse to, after listening to too much Chris Martin.

I would also name Damon Albarn and Jarvis Cocker.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #42: Mar 10, 2011 09:10:19 pm
      Why couldn't I say Thom Yorke? OK Computer is one of the best albums ever. And it has creativity in abundance, something you might be adverse to, after listening to too much Chris Martin.

I would also name Damon Albarn and Jarvis Cocker.

So I can't say Noel Gallagher despite writing two of the most iconic albums of all time and some of the most internationally recognisable and timeless songs of our era but it's alright for you to say Thom Yorke. Strange one.

I mean Radiohead from the past 10 years? You calling that music with melody in abundance? I mean when Bono and Paul McCartney (the finest of them all) start praising Noel Gallagher for being a great melodist then there's obviously an argument there.

And what's the problem with listening to Coldplay? I listen to enough bands and artists who create diverse and innovative music so why can't I just indulge in a band which just makes solid, honest good music. I wouldn't call Coldplay the most creative of bands but they're certainly not the most uncreative. I doubt you've listened to much Coldplay with such generic statements like that.
      « Last Edit: Mar 10, 2011 09:41:28 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #43: Mar 10, 2011 09:25:12 pm
      Heart Of Glass by Blondie.

I challenge you to think of a solid reason why not.

Pure.  Genius
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #44: Mar 10, 2011 09:47:08 pm
      So I can't say Noel Gallagher despite writing two of the most iconic albums of all time and the most internationally recognisable and timeless songs of our era but it's alright for you to say Thom Yorke. Strange one.

Of course you can. I disagree but it's acceptable. The problem is the way you seem to think your opinion are facts - it was you who, from the start, told me "not to mention Thom Yorke", like if there was no debate, and only one possible answer.

As for THE most recognizable song of our era, it's totally debatable. Not only that, but also being recognizable don't really mean much, actually. There's a lot of crap songs that nearly the entire world would recognize in a second and it don't make them great anyway.

I mean Radiohead from the past 10 years? You calling that music with melody in abundance? I mean when Bono and Paul McCartney (the finest of them all) start praising Noel Gallagher for being a great melodist then there's obviously an argument there.

Didn't you say the last 20 years, so that includes Radiohead best albums, particularly the first 3, my favorites - which includes OK Computer, one of the most influential albums in recent times. It's not like if all Oasis albums are great either.

And what's your problem with Chris Martin?

It's a comparison, because I find it odd how you can make such comments about other song-writers and still think "Coldplay are the only good band in the charts" and have so much praise for Chris Martin. It does not require much brilliance to sound exactly like the often forgotten Travis, who are an older band than Coldplay.

And the last time I checked, Radiohead, Blur and Pulp were mainstream acts. Also The Beatles, you see. There has not been one single 'underground' band mentioned in this debate to direct to such a conclusion of an 'anti-mainstream' bias.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #45: Mar 11, 2011 12:32:35 am
      Of course you can. I disagree but it's acceptable. The problem is the way you seem to think your opinion are facts - it was you who, from the start, told me "not to mention Thom Yorke", like if there was no debate, and only one possible answer.

As for THE most recognizable song of our era, it's totally debatable. Not only that, but also being recognizable don't really mean much, actually. There's a lot of crap songs that nearly the entire world would recognize in a second and it don't make them great anyway.

Didn't you say the last 20 years, so that includes Radiohead best albums, particularly the first 3, my favorites - which includes OK Computer, one of the most influential albums in recent times. It's not like if all Oasis albums are great either.

It's a comparison, because I find it odd how you can make such comments about other song-writers and still think "Coldplay are the only good band in the charts" and have so much praise for Chris Martin. It does not require much brilliance to sound exactly like the often forgotten Travis, who are an older band than Coldplay.

And the last time I checked, Radiohead, Blur and Pulp were mainstream acts. Also The Beatles, you see. There has not been one single 'underground' band mentioned in this debate to direct to such a conclusion of an 'anti-mainstream' bias.

Hey - you told me as if it was fact that 'you don't have to be the best solo artist in the Beatles to be better than Noel Gallagher' so I think it was you who was telling the supposed 'facts'.

When I say mainstream I should be more specific. I talk more in the sense of what I feel is the fairly average pop mainstream/charts which Coldplay seem to be one of the few good bands who can make an impact on it. I don't know where you got the idea that I was dismissing the likes of Radiohead, Blur, Pulp and THE BEATLES and pretty much all music when saying that. And Travis and Coldplay are the same genre and barring their first album, Coldplay sound nothing like Travis. I own all their albums but I can't recall listening to Coldplay thinking 'hmmm Travis cover band'. They're not the greatest band that's ever lived but there's nothing wrong with listening and appreciating their good music.

I only dislike Radiohead's last 10 years which despite interesting bores the f**k out of me. Radiohead in the 90s though were arguably the best band around thanks to two of their albums. OK Computer was a very very influential album as was The Bends (although I personally believe the best 90s album was Achtung Baby). I feel they were a far better band and a far more important band in the 90s than they are today. But their albums from the past 10 years I don't think have deserved the hype they get and I feel Thom Yorke's songwriting has skewed badly. I mean how long can you string out songs that really do sound like a cat wailing?

Just to go back on Noel Gallagher I get the feeling a lot of people anticipate a solo record from Noel Gallagher which is a testament to his songwriting. But for a man who's written Slide Away, Listen Up, Falling Down, The Importance of Being Idle etc it's half expected.

But hey music's subjective.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011 12:43:44 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »

Quick Reply