Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against Wigan

Luis Suarez
      (75.2%)
      Raul Meireles
      (19.5%)
      Somebody else
      (5.3%)

Liverpool 1-1 Wigan: In Game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 50721 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Wigan: In Game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #667: Feb 13, 2011 12:22:47 am
      Poll's a bit basic today ???

Disappointing result today and with Spurs winning too it takes us further away from the pack, but at least we didin't lose another 3 points at home.  Let's just hope Gerrard gets back soon and Agger too so we can play the highly effective 3 CB's with Johnson and Kelly running the flanks.
      xabi7
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #668: Feb 13, 2011 12:24:48 am
      Aguero and Hamsik can make the difference
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #669: Feb 13, 2011 12:25:34 am
      Aguero and Hamsik can make the difference

They would make the difference in any team in the world, even Barcelona.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #670: Feb 13, 2011 12:31:52 am
      Just lacked abit of creativity in the midfield today for me.

Have to agree with Kenny that the internationals seem to of taken a toll on some of the lads, have to take in to account we were missing Stevie and Agger as well.
      Tim LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 765 posts | 15 
      Reply #671: Feb 13, 2011 01:12:37 am
      Reading through here the word 'reactionary' comes to mind. Get a f**king grip.

I am so fed up with hearing how Liverpool disappointed people re: betting, accumulators, "I have 'x' jerseys with Torres' name on it. Get over yourselves, plastic motherfuckers. This is one of many reasons I have forsaken The Kop (forum-wise).

I keep going back to last week in my mind when JD and Kenny had different opinions of Kuyt's contribution. He looked great on tv but apparently offered nothing to the live spectator. Again, I thought he looked decent in the 1st half. His touch wasn't nearly as heavy as usual and he managed to get out of more than a few tight situations. I certainly took notice.

On the point of Suarez, someone rightfully pointed out that he put the fear of god into Wigan today and I couldn't agree more. His cleverness will be figured out eventually, so best to exploit while he can. I thought he was fantastic. He always felt like a threat. Let him run riot.

Carra & Kelly were beasts.

Meireles is johnny on the spot lately. Beautifully taken goal.

Pepe was fantastic, too. How good is he with his hands.

Lucas, meh. hardly the worst.

Maxi for me should have been first off. I know some like him, but for me he offers little.

The crowd? Was there one? They hardly showed up either. Saw a lot of sour faces much like this forum.

Too right! I know plenty of people who would love to go to Anfield and shout their hearts out, i'm included in that. I don't understand people who turn up and sit on their asses and don't sing. I'd kick people out of the grounds if they didn't sing then again half the stadiums in PL would be filled at best.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #672: Feb 13, 2011 01:47:03 am
      I think our game against Wigan yesterday was just one of those typical league games that come along. I wasn't unhappy after the game and I wasn't over the moon. You just have games like that sometimes.

It was a typical draw.

We attacked and they attacked. We frustrated them and they frustrated us. We had good periods of play and so did they. If we'd have had a bit more luck, we would have won. Same for them.

One thing I will say though is if we had more edge, control and composure after the sub of Meireles and the absence of Agger, we would have won in my opinion.

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #673: Feb 13, 2011 01:58:59 am
      I don't consider the squad was weak compared to Wigan.

By the way even if the global performance was rather average we were 2x5cm short of a 3-1 win.

I don't understand why people refuse to admit that
      a) some players while having qualities haven't performed at their exact very best level but it doesn't mean they are to ship out tomorrow,
      b) Kenny too hasn't got a perfect day (yes he's a king not a god) and could eventually have made slightly better choices for this particular match or succeeded to motivate players more, which doesn't mean he isn't 100 times better than Roy,
      c) Wigan played very well back to the wall
      d) even in such bad day and against Wigan playing very well, Liverpool, due to the huge difference in team quality could have crushed them, with some luck either in finishing or referee decisions,
      d) this isolated result mean nothing for the future, except for people who had totally unrealistic expectations like thinking their team could never draw a match on such a bad day, or strange beliefs like the best team (or best manager) always win in football, who see their dreams of an easy victorious run directly from 12th place to top four end (yes things are rarely that easy)
      e) we are on a 5 matchs unbeaten run anyway, which is excellent compared to what was expected by most no more than one month ago
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #674: Feb 13, 2011 03:07:15 am
      I think our game against Wigan yesterday was just one of those typical league games that come along. I wasn't unhappy after the game and I wasn't over the moon. You just have games like that sometimes.

It was a typical draw.

We attacked and they attacked. We frustrated them and they frustrated us. We had good periods of play and so did they. If we'd have had a bit more luck, we would have won. Same for them.

One thing I will say though is if we had more edge, control and composure after the sub of Meireles and the absence of Agger, we would have won in my opinion.

What the F**k is this level-headed sh*t? You're meant to be preparing for the end of the world! FML.

;)
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #675: Feb 13, 2011 03:10:14 am
      What the f**k is this level-headed sh*t? You're meant to be preparing for the end of the world! FML.

;)

:lmao:
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #676: Feb 13, 2011 03:36:15 am
      we missed S. Gerrard. and now i  see that Kuyt, Jovanovic and even Maxi are good players but not of Lfc calibre.
      They are not creative enough.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #677: Feb 13, 2011 03:56:10 am
      Just finished re-watching the game.  A lot of very disappointing 2nd half performances.  Starting to think Skrtel is not good enough to warrant a squad place, let alone a starting XI berth.  Kuyt may be still worth a squad place, but his distribution was awful today.  He wasted so many chances today.  Ngog & Jovanovic had real chances to push for more chances and both of them squandered it.  Kelly & Carragher looked off the pace second half & Johnson was woeful, his positioning at times was diabolical.  Lucas was poor today but so was the support around him.  Miereles & Suarez were real bright sparks today and our first half performance was a different story.  

Although it's disappointing, it's nice to be in a position in which we are disappointed with a draw, rather than resigned to the fact.  We weren't good enough today, plain & simple.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #678: Feb 13, 2011 05:42:58 am
      International friendlies mid-week is a big affect to us. Many players injured and many tired. Of course it's nothing different to others big club, but I want to say better in depth squad club surely at less affect, which is no choice they have to pay more and sometime with a bit better management (to keep bench-wormer  players happy).

I considered this kind of International friendly games was well planned by FIFA, as they want to disturb all the big money clubs by add chances of their key players got fatigues or injures as such problems can compensate to smaller clubs who usually their team having more regular non-international player.

It's just my guess and right or wrong we all know our club lacked of quality in depth, hopefully it's improve next season.

Sorry if it's difficult reading.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #679: Feb 13, 2011 05:43:07 am
      Not a great performance. But this will take time, gonna be many more setbacks along the way. Give new management team and new players the chance and we will get there. there is no quick fix. onwards and upwards.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #680: Feb 13, 2011 05:57:21 am
      the only gripe for me is the lack of inventive subs. take maxi off, not the red-hot goalscorer (he has been subbed frequently though even under Roy so i'm inclined to think it's his fitness. still, why take raul off at 55 when you could take maxi off then and raul fifteen minutes later for pacheco?).
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #681: Feb 13, 2011 06:11:33 am
      Flat performance really. We only started to look desperate around the last 10 minutes. Can't for the life of me see why Maxi is still starting week in, week out. Bench player at most. Suarez was a menace and I'm gradually warming to him. Massively unlucky to not get on the scoresheet yesterday.

On the back of 4 wins, I think complacency creeped in. When I look in the eyes of some players I think they're not fiery enough, not determined enough. Some of the players were too lax yesterday. Disappointing performance all round, but it's a good kick up in the ass for the players who are starting to take 3 points for granted.

Looking forward to the next game already. On a side note, this feels like a defeat. In some ways I'm glad I feel this way. Under Hodgson I would be glad with a draw!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #682: Feb 13, 2011 06:23:41 am
      the only gripe for me is the lack of inventive subs. take maxi off, not the red-hot goalscorer (he has been subbed frequently though even under Roy so I'm inclined to think it's his fitness. still, why take raul off at 55 when you could take maxi off then and raul fifteen minutes later for pacheco?).

Raul was sick.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #683: Feb 13, 2011 09:29:30 am
      Thought we started well but it started going bit flat last 15 of the 1st half. Didnt help with Meireles going off early in the 2nd.

Poorest performance under Kenny for me but think it was just one of those games, could have easily got the 3 points if Suarez's free kick was a few inches lower.

Full backs were ineffective going forward, Kuyt grafted as usual but didnt create much and apart from Suarez and Meireles I just couldnt see where the goals would come from.

...Hey ho....onwards and upwards!!

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #684: Feb 13, 2011 10:48:56 am
      Such bad luck. Wigan scored an offside goal. Suarez hit the post and the bar.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #685: Feb 13, 2011 10:59:42 am
      Such bad luck. Wigan scored an offside goal. Suarez hit the post and the bar.

Where is a beach ball when you need one?  ;D
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #686: Feb 13, 2011 11:06:09 am
      Where is a beach ball when you need one?  ;D

;D We only sold them to raise money under H&G so we could buy players :lmao:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #687: Feb 13, 2011 11:11:58 am
      Wonder when we'll get a decent ref. Starting to annoy me now.

Stunned that there captain stayed on the pitch. Not to forget the offside goal.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #688: Feb 13, 2011 11:30:11 am
      Thought we started well but it started going bit flat last 15 of the 1st half. Didnt help with Meireles going off early in the 2nd.

Poorest performance under Kenny for me but think it was just one of those games, could have easily got the 3 points if Suarez's free kick was a few inches lower.

Good comment mate but I'm sure you'll agree a poor performance under Kenny pales into insignificence compared to the same during RH's tenure.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #689: Feb 13, 2011 11:33:11 am
      Thought we had a worse performance against blackpool.

Quick Reply