Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match against Wigan

Luis Suarez
      (75.2%)
      Raul Meireles
      (19.5%)
      Somebody else
      (5.3%)

Liverpool 1-1 Wigan: In Game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 51006 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Wigan: In Game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #690: Feb 13, 2011 11:38:38 am
      Can't say to much on here as i only saw the edited highlights on motd. Seems we done enough to win but didn't get any luck. Suarez seems a right handfull and i'm sure his goal tally will soon increase. Ngog from what i did see, still fails to impress and i think his 'potential' has been given enough time. need to move him on now. A poor option for a back up striker. Hope we get a result against West Ham, and that will put this down to a mere blip on the road to recovery. 4th still on as the oposition will also have days like this. Mereiles still looking sharp glad to say. Another fine finnish.
      JFT96_LFC
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 619 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #691: Feb 13, 2011 12:30:32 pm
      Very lacklustre performance, really dissapointed with that resukt. Looks like the mid-wekk international games had took it's toll on the players. But on the bright side Suarez was great, his creativity was excellent and was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. Kelly was consisitent as ever. When Meireles wen't off I felt we lacked some creativity aside Suarez. And Ngog was very poor when he came on. Looking forward to seeing Carroll play alongside Suarez quite soon. And as King Kenny said "We won't win them all".
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts |
      Reply #692: Feb 13, 2011 12:55:23 pm
      The performance was not up to the mark.As everyone has said the mid-week International definitely affected the players especially Johnson.
      Also what I felt seeing the match in TV is that the crowd support was not good enough.I could clearly hear and understand the match commentary and there was hardly any shouting.I could hear noises only in the last 10 minutes.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #693: Feb 13, 2011 01:13:29 pm
      It was only a matter of weeks ago we were looking at an end of season relegation battle now we have 14 points from 18 and its the end of the world isnt that the knee jerk thread.
      Stick in Gerrard,Agger and Carroll and we have a completely different side.I am looking forward to the last 12 or so games and maybe a decent run in the Europa.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #694: Feb 13, 2011 01:22:09 pm
      Watched it in the supporter's club (had a gab with Redkenny during half time) and it just seemed like we were destined to win. There was no anxiety in the air, everyone was confident and the way Suarez and Kuyt were linking up just looked like poetry in motion.

Twatted them the first half hour and when Meireles scored expected the floodgates to open. But just like at the DW, we let them get back into once we scored and, though their goal was offside, they got the equaliser they probably deserved. They didn't have many chances but kept the ball off us too much.

The flat back four didn't look like it suited us, but Carra was immense again. He really has come back like the Carra of old. Midfield wasn't at it's best. And really lost it's shape when Meireles went off.

Just looks like Wigan are our bogey team. We're really struggling to get results against them of late. sh*te results happen, we'll still win the League.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #695: Feb 13, 2011 02:09:08 pm
      Good to have a gab Billy lad! Gave you a shout when I was getting off but you looked like you were in deep conversation.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #696: Feb 13, 2011 02:10:54 pm
      Good to have a gab Billy lad! Gave you a shout when I was getting off but you looked like you were in deep conversation.

Ta ra then mate :laugh:
      archit
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #697: Feb 13, 2011 02:15:19 pm
      rating jovanovic based on this match's performance would be unfair.
      He came in under real pressure after 2 weeks on the bench
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #698: Feb 13, 2011 02:19:31 pm
      We will make the top 4. Every team above us right now, save for Chelsea (whom we did a double over) still has to come o Anfield. Arsenal is away though.

That is 12 points in our favour. I believe we will win them all.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #699: Feb 13, 2011 02:24:11 pm
      Gone are the days of top teams battering lower placed teams in the Prem league as a matter of course.  These teams now all can play some good creative and attacking football and all pose a threat.

Some on this forum had perhaps a crystal ball and even said as much before kick off. I think many had a bad feeling about this fixture somewhere deep down where you dont particularly want to go.

Like Blackpool, WOlves, and everyone else, Wigan can hurt you if you dont play well, and for many reasons as discussed, we were not guaranteed to play well. Still, we did enough to win it and twice on the woodwork is always likely to come back and bite you on the bum.

We all know Maxi, Kuyt and Jovanovic are NOT top class. We all know Skrtel is clumsy at times and not the most reliable defender.  We all know that Johnson has some nice tricks but was probably in hindsight not great value at 20 odd million.
      The jury seems eternally out on Lucas, but he does have age on his side.

International friendlies, injuries, whatever the case we all know its an opportunity missed, because we simply do not accept dropping points at Anfield without disappointment.

The positives are the continued improvement from Meireles, and the spark that Suarez has brought to the team. The comfort that we had Gerrard, Carroll, and Agger in the locker, and that NESV will hopefully invest heavily in the summer.

sirignano
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #700: Feb 13, 2011 02:32:01 pm
      Mereiles still looking sharp glad to say. Another fine finnish.

he's portuguese ;)
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #701: Feb 13, 2011 05:30:57 pm
      From what i saw and heard a defeat was unlucky , Suarez looks like giving other teams real problems and hitting the post was unjust ! i fear 4th place could be out of our reach this season with Chelsea having games in hand but on the positive side the team are playing so much better ! wait until we have a full team out and then we'll see results i'm sure
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #702: Feb 14, 2011 09:28:29 am
      thought wigan played well and deserved to score tbh (even though it was offside). but we still did enough to win it imo. does show we need to move some fringe players on and bring in a couple of players in the summer, the bench looked poor.

I was thinking jovanovich hasn't had enough chances but now I'm beginning to think he just isn't good enough. time after time he had awful first touch and couldn't control the ball.

ngog needs to be moved on, he's not so young anymore and I just don't see him improving here. did nothing all game.

as mentioned, stevie, agger, miereles and caroll in the team and we will look a different side. thought kenny should have given the likes of shelvey and pacheco a chance in this gae though. youngsters tend to be fearless against teams lower in the league.
      gotta mention suarez, looked so sharp and creative, will be a great investment i think.

anyway, it's a blip and probably one we needed to remind us not to take the honeymoon period and our form for granted.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #703: Feb 14, 2011 09:41:29 am
      thought wigan played well and deserved to score tbh (even though it was offside). but we still did enough to win it imo. does show we need to move some fringe players on and bring in a couple of players in the summer, the bench looked poor.

The bench was poor, but we had Carroll, Gerrard, Cole, Agger, Shelvey and Spearing on the injury list... that would not have been a bad bench ;)

A couple of good signings in the summer and we'll be laughing all the way to no.19
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #704: Feb 14, 2011 09:59:08 am
      The bench was poor, but we had Carroll, Gerrard, Cole, Agger, Shelvey and Spearing on the injury list... that would not have been a bad bench ;)

A couple of good signings in the summer and we'll be laughing all the way to no.19

This is true. first team can challenge anyone in the league tbh. still think jovanovich, ngog, maxi, poulson need to be moved on though.
      carheex
      • Banned

• 587 posts | -9 
      Reply #705: Feb 14, 2011 10:31:56 am
      We are brought back to earth with a bang, F***ing sh*t, the centre of midfield was a massive F***ing problem today. Aureilo is not a centre midfielder. Lucas, Kuyt, Aureilo and Maxi were a F***ing awful today

When HASN'T Maxi been awful???
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #706: Feb 14, 2011 11:20:13 am
      Dropped points but we probably deserved a win....just.

Ngog - Please sell him in the summer, he did nothing at all, I would rather have seen Kuyt moved up top.

We will be a differenet team when Carroll, Gerrard and Agger are back in.

Thought Suarez looked very sharp and think he is going to be a top player for us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #707: Feb 14, 2011 11:31:07 am
      Got to put the game into perspective.

A decent refereeing performance and a couple of inches difference (twice) then we would be talking a totally different story about how we didn't play too well but ground out the result.

Let's do Prague then wallow in the weeks rest before doing them again and thats a little run going ready for the trip to West Ham.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #708: Feb 14, 2011 01:34:19 pm
      Obviously disappointed with the result but it just shows how much of a game depends on luck, just ask poor Luis Suarez. Cut their defense apart and left the keeper for dead only for hi shot to come off the post. An inch more and it would have been a great goal. Then his free kick hits the bar when no one was going to stop it. Another day and that would have been 3-0 up and there goal called for offside.

The performance was good in general. We were asleep for the goal and we were punished. Suarez was everywhere, popping up on the right, the left, running at them down the centre, dropping deep, treking back. I would hate to have been the one marking him. Fierce unlucky with the woodwork but a solid performance for his first full 90 in the Premier League (although he was looking leggy for the last 10 mins). Meireles is going from strength to strength and another well taken goal will do him no harm.

I have to mention Martin Kelly, he was amazing. N'zogbia couldn't get past him so they had to switch him with Moses who also struggled to impact from the left wing. Another great cross lead to the goal and was another solid performance from him!

I was disappointed with N'Gog and Jovanovic though. N'Gog just made no impact at all and left Suarez fairly isolated. Jovanovic reminded me so much of Ryan Babel. Brought on as a sub and tries to single handedly chance the game at 100 mph. He just got the ball,put his head down and ran into blue shirts.

I was also disappointed that both N'Gog and Jovanovic were brought on instead of Dani Pacheco who can play in both positions. Also as Suarez was proving Wigan were struggling with small, quick, high energy players.

All in all its not the end of the world. Its a reality check after the run we were having. West Ham are next in the league and they'll be very similar to Wigan. But as has been said Gerrard, Agger and Carroll (although much later) are yet to come into the squad. Things are much better than this time before Christmas, just remember that. Things are looking up!

Quick Reply