Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jose Enrique (Newcastle United)

Read 73368 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Jose Enrique (Newcastle United)
      Feb 14, 2011 03:53:19 pm
      LFC plotting second Toon raid
      Liverpool are plotting a second major transfer swoop on Newcastle United - for super Spanish left back Jose Enrique.

Kop talent-spotter Damien Comolli watched the highly-rated defender in action at the weekend as he looks for a solution to Kenny Dalglish's problem position.

Enrique was in outstanding form against Blackburn Rovers, adding to his reputation as one of the best players in his role in the Premier League - and the Anfield club may trouble the Toon again in the summer.

Dalglish shattered Liverpool's signing record by landing striker Andy Carroll from Newcastle and the Geordies would look for a hefty fee for Enrique too.

However Liverpool need a recognised player in that position as Paul Konchesky is exiled at Nottingham Forest on loan and Glen Johnson is filling in for the rest of the campaign - but clearly not suited as a long-term answer.

Enrique, 25, was a big-money capture by Sam Allardyce during his time at Newcastle and has also been linked with Manchester United as a possible replacement for Patrice Evra if he leaves.

However Liverpool are now heading the queue and could make an offer in the summer - with cash to spend on improvements in that area.

I'd be very happy as I quite like him. But I'd not give more than 10M.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Re: Jose Enrique (Newcastle United)
      Reply #1: Feb 14, 2011 04:50:33 pm
      Pass.  He's decent, but we should be aiming higher.  Coentrao has talked up his "love" for LFC..... would be a better option and he's younger too!  Taewo is available on a free, and he would be better than Enirque.... though we'd probably need to throw him a big signing bonus to get him here.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Feb 14, 2011 04:59:37 pm
      I said on here about 18 months ago he would be a good cut price signing whether he is top drawer s another matter entirely
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3: Feb 14, 2011 05:48:53 pm
      I'm a big fan. He hugs the touchline and is a good defender, above-average crosser.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #4: Feb 14, 2011 05:50:00 pm
      I would like him here, would be a good buy.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #5: Feb 14, 2011 07:08:12 pm
      I'm a big fan. He hugs the touchline and is a good defender, above-average crosser.

Agree with this and that's pretty much what you would want from a fullback.

Very good player, settled in the Premier League and one I'd like here.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #6: Feb 14, 2011 07:42:21 pm
      He has an air of class about him and composre on the ball

However I find he flatters to deceive most times going forward.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2011 12:09:06 am
      Coentrao for me for this position,young talanted and declared his wish to play for us.Jose would be a half decent back up for Coentrao.
      roy42osborne
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2011 10:43:12 am
      A fantastic player, especially loved him against Blackburn Rovers.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2011 11:22:59 am
      Not sure, think we can get better.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2011 04:44:54 pm
      Not sure, think we can get better.
      Agree.. He is good.......enough for Newcastle but we can do better.

Cissokho, Taiwo are better.

Would be take Glen Johnson's place?

I doubt Enrique would.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2011 04:58:39 pm
      I would take him,would really piss my Geordie mate off but i really think he is good enough.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #12: Feb 17, 2011 02:56:59 pm
      Spanish star flattered by Reds link
      Newcastle United's Spanish left-back Jose Enrique has admitted he is happy to be linked with Liverpool, Manchester United and Aston Villa.

The 25-year-old has been of the Magpies' most consistent back-line performers this term and has duly caught the eye of some of the Barclays Premier League's elite.

While claiming he is 'OK' to stay at Newcastle, the Spaniard confessed his ambitions to play on the European stage.

"It is flattering that Liverpool are interested. I've also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me."

"They are both big teams and I'm not closing the door on anyone. I'm ambitious and want to play in the Champions League. I want to win things. I'm OK at Newcastle but I aspire to more".
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #13: Feb 17, 2011 05:15:50 pm
      He actually reminds me a lot of Aurelio.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #14: Feb 18, 2011 09:33:11 am
      Actually rate him a fair bit. Much rather have him than Johnson or Aurelio to be honest.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #15: Feb 21, 2011 10:34:10 am
      Cant see us going for Coentrao, he is very pricey IMO, although if that is the price you have to pay for players then maybe but would much prefer Enrique. Hes a very good player and by the summer would have a seasons experience in the EPL. By the way Maervaux, who we have apprently got due to a pre contract agreement, can also play at left back so theres cover there in the left back position.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 25, 2011 01:24:50 pm
      Liverpool set to "complete deal" for 6m United target
      Liverpool are reportedly close to completing a deal for Newcastle defender Jose Enrique.

According to talkSPORT, reports in the Spanish press claim the 25-year-old is poised to seal a switch to Anfield in the summer after the two clubs agreed a fee in the region of £6 million.

Enrique's contract is set to expire in 2012 and it appears Newcastle are ready to cash-in on the Spaniard after Liverpool made their interest known.

Manchester United have also been linked with a move for Enrique - as have Aston Villa - but Liverpool look to have won the race for his signature.

Liverpool have been in the market for a recognised and reliable left-back in order to permanently fill the problematic role.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #17: Feb 25, 2011 01:36:38 pm
      Would be happy enough with this, and to have Aurelio as back up. Let Konchesky go, let Insua go and always have Johnson as emergency left back.
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #18: Feb 25, 2011 03:19:35 pm
      Would be happy enough with this, and to have Aurelio as back up. Let Konchesky go, let Insua go and always have Johnson as emergency left back.

I'd prefer to keep Insua and let Fabio go - younger and less injury prone.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Feb 25, 2011 03:38:36 pm

I'd let both of them go.

Not only do we have Johnson as back up, we also have Wilson and/or Agger.

We then have Jack Robinson coming through the ranks, already stepped up to the Reserves even though he's still a youth player.  2, 3 years max he could be our regular left back.

This could be the reason for the switch to Enrique from the big (costly) names in Europe.

Still young enough to sell on, premiership experience, why spend extra on an unproven player.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2011 03:44:50 pm by reddebs »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Feb 26, 2011 10:15:47 pm

I agree with you mate.

Emiliano would be on less wages, more reliable with his injuries and played his best football when he was a bit part left back which he would be with Enrique here.

Either way, i haven't seen a lot of Enrique but he does look a decent player.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #21: Feb 26, 2011 11:49:58 pm
      Saw the highlights of the newcastle game on MOTD about an hour ago, he had a good game, looked good going forward too, put in some nice crosses.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,154 posts | 258 
      Reply #22: Feb 27, 2011 11:35:12 am
      I'd let both of them go.

Not only do we have Johnson as back up, we also have Wilson and/or Agger.

We then have Jack Robinson coming through the ranks, already stepped up to the Reserves even though he's still a youth player.  2, 3 years max he could be our regular left back.

This could be the reason for the switch to Enrique from the big (costly) names in Europe.

Still young enough to sell on, premiership experience, why spend extra on an unproven player.

Well said reddebs mate. I'd like to add his Spaniard also positive for Reina.

Quick Reply