Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)

Read 8986 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)
      Feb 14, 2011 03:54:20 pm
      Liverpool swoop for World Cup winning free transfer coup

AC Milan have decided to hold back on contract negotiations with leading star Andrea Pirlo until April, and as a result the Rossoneri now risk losing him on a free transfer when his current deal runs out this summer.

A number of leading European clubs have been alerted by the questionable decision that means Pirlo is free to talk to and sign a pre-contract agreement with another club.

The Gazzetta dello Sport in Italy claims that Inter Milan, Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid are all coveting the World Cup winning playmaker as well as English interest coming from Liverpool.

Since a change of ownership at Anfield, new Liverpool owners New England Sports Ventures (NESV) have outlined their plans to win the Barclays Premier League within two seasons but are also looking to build a squad that will benefit the long-term future of the club.

Liverpool director of football strategy Damien Comolli has been tasked with bringing Europe’s brightest young stars to Merseyside and as a result the Reds have been linked with a host of up-and-coming players from around the world.

At 31, Pirlo is seen as a surprise target, but the fact that he could be available on a free transfer would give Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish the chance to bring in an experienced European heavyweight to help ease the younger generation into the limelight.

Liverpool are known to be keen to add more inventive minds to their midfield ranks, which was demonstrated in their ill-fated chase for Blackpool captain Charlie Adam in the January window.

The only potential stumbling block is the widespread interest from other clubs but with Liverpool’s European pedigree they should be able to tempt the Italian into a move to the Barclays Premier League.

The excessive wage that Pirlo commands, thought to be in the region of £4million per year may also rule out lesser clubs. But with the money saved on a transfer fee, a move to Liverpool could be very much on the cards.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-swoop-for-world-cup-winning-free-transfe
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2011 04:04:59 pm by crouchinho »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Andrea Pirlo
      Reply #1: Feb 14, 2011 04:03:53 pm
      Good player but I would prefer to spend cash on a younger player with potential who could be here long term.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Re: Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan)
      Reply #2: Feb 14, 2011 04:12:13 pm
      Would love to see pirlo here, i think he'd do a job
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Andrea Pirlo
      Reply #3: Feb 14, 2011 04:13:59 pm
      Here's a case of player who was very average in one position, and then went on to become one of the world's best when moved to a new one. He started as an attacking midfielder, but only shone as a defensive midfielder, a deep lying playmaker. Makes me wonder how many players could have had a better career if they were employed in different positions.

In theory he would be like a real replacement for Xabi Alonso, given his creativity and range of passing, but I'm not sure if he still has it, and like most complained about Charlie Adam, I can't see him offering much in defensive terms, at Milan he has Gattuso alongside him.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #4: Feb 14, 2011 04:15:40 pm
      Think it's just paper talk, to be honest. Can't see us going for him even on a free, FSG don't want to pay high wages for aging players.
      Comatorium
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 696 posts |
      Reply #5: Feb 14, 2011 04:32:49 pm
      If were gonna get someone on Bosman transfer it should be Mexes, Taiwo and Marveaux, Pirlo is too old and I don't think he would be an ideal addition for a team playing a league as physical as EPL...

EDIT: There are few more players out of contract in the summer worth mentioning: Ziegler, Delgado, Altintop, Trochowski, Wendt, Rakitić.
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2011 04:53:18 pm by Comatorium »
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Feb 14, 2011 05:47:37 pm
      Paper talk, 100%. Pirlo is a class passer in the Xabi Alonso mould, but is older than Xabi and is tailor-made for the Italian game, where he has time on the ball. I doubt that NESV would take a gander at him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2748 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Feb 14, 2011 07:16:18 pm
      Only 31? Thought he was a lot older.

Anyway on a free get him in to the squad would do no harm. Gary Mac mark 2
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Feb 14, 2011 07:26:02 pm
      I Like Pirlo, extremely similar to Alonso. Not sure if he would suit the Premiership. He is on a free contract so he will be expecting massive wages, don't think that will fit into NESV policy big wages for a 31 year old. Can't see this happening
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Feb 14, 2011 08:05:04 pm
      Regardless of money, age or whatever in the last two seasons he hasn't really shown his class consistently and he's been injured a little bit.

Just with that i'd stay away.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #10: Feb 14, 2011 09:43:06 pm
      Jesus hes only 31?

Thought he was in the retirement home me
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 14, 2011 10:17:09 pm
      Would be a quality addition!!if hes free, whats to lose.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #12: Feb 14, 2011 10:33:29 pm
      Would be a quality addition!!if hes free, whats to lose.

Millions in wages? Should be after players who are entering there prime, not older players who are looking for 1 last pay day.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #13: Feb 15, 2011 06:02:14 am
      Millions in wages? Should be after players who are entering there prime, not older players who are looking for 1 last pay day.

If you read the article they are suggesting we bring him in as a squad player who can help the young lads on the training pitch and fill in for injuries/tired players in the midfield. To be honest I love to see him come in and hopefully some of his gifts will further progress Lucas. 4m for a brilliant mentor for the future of our midfield and give our lads a rest while we are running away with the title next year ;)...
      I would pay the money!
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #14: Feb 15, 2011 09:36:20 am
      I like Andrea Pirlo a lot. Probably one of the best deep-lying midfielders around similar to Xavi of Barcelona as he rarely misplaces a pass and the ball seems to stick to his feet in the centre circle.

For free, I'd take him and play him in games against teams who park the bus, i.e. won't expose him when on the attack as he is a little slow. Have him hover around the halfway line against teams like Wigan playing in killer balls to Luis Suarez and the alike plus he'd be excellent in Europe. He'd also be a great mentor to Lucas I reckon improving the distribution part of his game.

He's definitely still got it. He's never had pace so he hasn't lost that. I think he'd be a great signing - even if we pay £4m on wages.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6916 
      Reply #15: Feb 15, 2011 09:38:52 am
      Nah, don't think so.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Feb 15, 2011 10:09:11 am
      By the end of the season, he'll be 32.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #17: Feb 16, 2011 08:52:34 am
      too old...way too old
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #18: Feb 16, 2011 12:08:51 pm
      By the end of the season, he'll be 32.
      Quote from bobobobo
      too old...way too old

Funny cause Gerrard will be 31 at the end of this season but no one would say he is too old now would they?  :roll:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: Feb 16, 2011 01:21:02 pm
      Funny cause Gerrard will be 31 at the end of this season but no one would say he is too old now would they?  :roll:

No but then we're not discussing Gerrard as a possible transfer mate.

Pirlo as with most older Italian players needs to stay in Italy where age doesn't seem to be an issue due to how slow the game is.

It's a big, fat no from me.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #20: Feb 16, 2011 02:28:16 pm
      Funny cause Gerrard will be 31 at the end of this season but no one would say he is too old now would they?  :roll:
      Pirlo has been having injury issues this season. He just got back from an injury and now has another injury. So let's sign a 32 year old injury prone player, give him a big signing on fee and huge wages, why don't we.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Feb 16, 2011 02:42:25 pm
      Pirlo has been having injury issues this season. He just got back from an injury and now has another injury. So let's sign a 32 year old injury prone player, give him a big signing on fee and huge wages, why don't we.
      Quiet handsome man, us footy nerds are talking ;D
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #22: Feb 16, 2011 03:20:27 pm

Dex I think people are missing out on my point here. Obviously if the price is to high then I am not interested. I was just suggesting that as a teacher and a squad player this could be a signing worth looking at. In the NFL team's pay older players to come in and mentor younger players (usually quarterbacks) yet they never play a game unless injuries occur. If the price is right and he thinks he can come in play 10-15 games for the season not including subs etc, be effective, and help further Lucas' progression as a player, I don't see why its such a bad idea.

I am a little disappointed in everyone's negativity. Rather than just looking at everything on a yes-no basis, try and see why we are being linked with him to begin with. Isn't that the whole reason we are on these forums? To discuss and debate things?
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #23: Feb 16, 2011 03:47:58 pm
      Dex I think people are missing out on my point here. Obviously if the price is to high then I am not interested. I was just suggesting that as a teacher and a squad player this could be a signing worth looking at. In the NFL team's pay older players to come in and mentor younger players (usually quarterbacks) yet they never play a game unless injuries occur. If the price is right and he thinks he can come in play 10-15 games for the season not including subs etc, be effective, and help further Lucas' progression as a player, I don't see why its such a bad idea.

I am a little disappointed in everyone's negativity. Rather than just looking at everything on a yes-no basis, try and see why we are being linked with him to begin with. Isn't that the whole reason we are on these forums? To discuss and debate things?
      I didn't miss your point, I just think 4 million a year + signing on fee is too much for a squad player who plays that little games. And he'll probably want a contract for several years aswell. Think we should learn from the Cole transfer that free players aren't all that free, there's enough financial risk involved. Especially with these new UEFA rules, we need to keep wages low. Besides that, I really don't feel a 32 year old Italian player like him would be that committed to teaching Liverpool players without any prior affiliation to our club. I'd be surprised if he'd event want to, I'm sure he just wants to play as much as he can. Add to that his recent injury issues, he might not even be with the squad that much. All seems alot of risk just to help Lucas progress. Not that I think he'd be teaching Lucas, think it would be for Shelvey and Suso, but even then..
      « Last Edit: Feb 16, 2011 03:59:06 pm by Dexter »
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #24: Feb 16, 2011 04:06:28 pm
      I agree his wages would be insane, and I wouldn't want him on anything more than a 2 year contract. The injuries are also a concern but that could be used to drive down the price.

Also thank you for explaining yourself. I was getting frustrated people posting 3 word responses.  :)
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #25: Feb 16, 2011 06:12:37 pm

I don't think that system works as well in el futbol. They don't have reserves over there, where players can get game time against pretty quality opposition. As a quarterback, for example, you get better by watching and learning, whereas in el futbol, it's pretty much universally agreed that everyone gets better with more playing time, not watching. Wouldn't want another older player blocking our young Center Mids from developing.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #26: Feb 16, 2011 06:15:37 pm
      If you read the article they are suggesting we bring him in as a squad player who can help the young lads on the training pitch and fill in for injuries/tired players in the midfield. To be honest I love to see him come in and hopefully some of his gifts will further progress Lucas. 4m for a brilliant mentor for the future of our midfield and give our lads a rest while we are running away with the title next year ;)...
      I would pay the money!

So you would pay millions for a squad player?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #27: Feb 16, 2011 06:17:03 pm
      Most squad players are worth millions.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #28: Feb 18, 2011 07:28:59 am
      So you would pay millions for a squad player?

Man Utd: Giggs 4m a year.
      Arsenal: Arshavin 4.8m a year.
      Chelsea: Torres 50m for xfer, 5.4m a year. ;)

So yes most squad players costs millions.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #29: Feb 18, 2011 01:31:14 pm
      Man Utd: Giggs 4m a year.
      Arsenal: Arshavin 4.8m a year.
      Chelsea: Torres 50m for xfer, 5.4m a year. ;)

So yes most squad players costs millions.
      Giggs is a legend at Man U and has served them for many years, hardly comparable to what Pirlo would be for us.
      And how is Arshavin a squad player? He played 25 games in the EPL this season already, of which he started 19.
      Won't go into Torres, I'm assuming you made a joke there.

It's a silly comparison in my opinion.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2011 01:38:33 pm by Dexter »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: Feb 18, 2011 03:59:34 pm
      Forget the money, forget his age, just please look at the facts here.

He's been injured constantly and shown no sort of consistency for two seasons now. Stay away.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #31: Feb 18, 2011 06:40:10 pm
      He's been injured constantly and shown no sort of consistency for two seasons now. Stay away.

I will second that,to old and wage demands to high.We could get a much better younger player.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #32: Feb 18, 2011 06:42:01 pm
      ^^^^

After the last few posts, people could wonder if we're discussing Pirlo or Torres!

:f_whistle:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Feb 19, 2011 12:22:32 am
      Ouch...Harsh Ayrton  ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #34: Feb 19, 2011 12:41:12 am
      F***ing hell, would have snapped at this 5-6 years ago, a player ive always liked.

Now? Sorry mate, too old and injury prone. Sad, because hes really someone i would have loved in red at some stage.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #35: Feb 19, 2011 12:45:17 am
      He was a brilliant, brilliant passer of the ball. Rivalled Xabi as one of the best in the world. As for now, coming into a new, fast, tough league especially at his age and maybe carrying an old injury of two, I think we should give this one a miss.

EDIT: just seen his age, not the oldest but will still be 32 at the end of the season, thought he was older. Still too old to move to a new league IMO.

His goal earlier in the season against Parma was something special though! :)

Pirlo Incredible Goal vs Parma 0-1 AC Milan [02/10/10]
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #36: Feb 19, 2011 01:37:02 am
      Good player but i think the new owners will invest in the youth than the Golden Oldies.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #37: Feb 19, 2011 01:47:19 am
      shame he's too old

NO
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #38: Feb 19, 2011 10:45:18 pm
      difference is stevie is well used to the rough and tumble of premier league  pirlo wouldn"t get a gander at the ball.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #39: Feb 24, 2011 02:03:17 pm
      NESV love buying players of his age sure :P

Quick Reply