Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Hodgson breaks silence on Anfield “hurt”

Read 10567 times
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 403 posts |
      Feb 15, 2011 10:07:41 am
      Former Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has spoken to the press about his torrid six month spell at Anfield.

Hodgson and Liverpool parted company early last month after a dismal first half of the season, with new owners FSG appointing club legend Kenny Dalglish in his place.

Hodgson’s time at Anfield will not only be remembered for the poor results on the pitch, but also the backlash from Liverpool fans, vocally illustrating their discontent with Hodgson’s signings, tactics and expectations of the club.

“I didn’t feel drained but you do feel wounded,” he said.

“I have had a very good spell in my career and it’s a long time since I have had a very serious knock-back so, when it comes, it wounds you.

“You wouldn’t be human if it didn’t but it hasn’t dented any confidence or belief. But I can’t lie and say it didn’t hurt me, or I didn’t care, because, of course, I care.

“I care very passionately about my job and I care about football and I have had an awful lot of praise. So, when you get the opposite, it’s not something you particularly embrace, but, if you’ve got half a brain, you accept that as being part of the job or par for the course.”

Hodgson this week was appointed as the new head coach of West Bromich Albion, following Roberto Di Matteo’s sacking last week.

He also says he didn’t feel wanted at Liverpool, but accepts that the club’s new owners were put in the difficult position of wanting to destroy any legacy left behind by former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

He added, “The people who wanted me at Liverpool didn’t last too long. The people who employed me didn’t stay for too long. The new owners found themselves in a difficult situation because we weren’t winning enough games and the fans were making it perfectly clear they wanted me gone and somebody else in.

“To be fair to them, they were in a very difficult situation. I can’t for one minute suggest I was wanted at Liverpool.

“But hopefully everyone will accept this club made a considerable effort to get me and worked hard to persuade me to come and try to help preserve the status so, of course, I feel much more wanted. But I have been lucky. I felt wanted at Fulham and there aren’t that many clubs where I haven’t felt wanted.”
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2011/02/hodgson-breaks-silence-on-anfield-hurt/
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Hodgson breaks silence on Anfield “hurt”
      Reply #1: Feb 15, 2011 10:15:13 am
      He should of just said he wasn't good enough.

He lacked everything a Liverpool manager should be and even his 35 years of experience couldn't make up for it.
      vik94
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 403 posts |
      Reply #2: Feb 15, 2011 10:16:36 am
      But he was right though,he was definitely not wanted at Liverpool.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2011 10:17:04 am
      What I read: "Me, me, me, me, me."

MEH.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2011 10:22:43 am
      I still get frustrated reading what he says.

Praise from where Roy?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2011 10:24:01 am
      But he was right though,he was definitely not wanted at Liverpool.

Yes, many Liverpool fans didn't want him as manager but were willing to give him a chance but he should have seen that coming with all his embarassing interviews, poor tactics and saying it was useless to protest against the previous owners or something like that.

It's just the standards at Liverpool FC which he couldn't live up to and he can't blame us fans for wanting more because that's what that made Liverpool successful in the past.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2011 10:40:21 am
      To be fair I don't believe the majority of fans DID want him (I know I didn't) but at least I gave him a chance, many fans didn't. I tried to support him for as long as I could but the results and the football he had us playing was intolerable. I have no doubts he can be very successful with a small club, but he was sadly just out of his depth at a big club. 

Best thing he can do now is keep his mouth shut and just move on with his life. He managed to turn a drama into a crisis and I don't believe too many were sad (if any)when he was replaced.

High points - the win against Chelsea and signing Meireles

Low points - too many to mention.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2011 10:42:52 am
      All it took was "I fu**ed up" and we'd move on but no.

Anyways, hope you fail again you arrogant miserable owl.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2011 11:13:32 am
      I see in the Independant interview he's getting his excuses in early:
      "One major difference, cautioned Hodgson, is that he had six weeks more at Craven Cottage, including a transfer window he exploited to good effect. "My first game in charge there was on New Year's Day and the first I watched was on 28 December, whereas the first I saw here was on 12 February. I had 18 games left at Fulham; I've got 12 times 90 minutes here and we have to make every one count. I'd settle for staying up on the last day again as long as we survive."

Managing expectations again woy?
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2011 11:37:54 am
      Hodgson wasn't wanted, because he didn't do the job we asked him to. We were in fear of relegation and that is unacceptable for Liverpool football club so jog on you selfish t*at. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2011 12:56:27 pm
      No comment on how Kenny turned a squad of crap into a team of winners though was there Roy.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2011 01:33:55 pm
      This man is a plank

First thing he says about his new team "squad isnt good enough to survive" Ha ha what a clown. Imagine your in that squad going into training today for him.

They may or may not have survived under Di Matteo but with him gone in there now with that attitude they are fooked

Clown
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2011 01:37:21 pm
      He's too full of himself for a manager that has hardly won anything in his career.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #13: Feb 15, 2011 01:54:06 pm
      Who gives a F***ing doogle?
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #14: Feb 15, 2011 03:12:39 pm
      He's too full of himself for a manager that has hardly won anything in his career.

And he obviously thinks his 35 years of managerial experience and LMA Manager of the Year award makes him one of Europe's best.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #15: Feb 15, 2011 03:22:10 pm
      I wanted to take Liverpool back to the top but wasn't given the time - new West Brom boss Roy Hodgson

GTFOH
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #16: Feb 15, 2011 03:36:40 pm
      He also says he didn’t feel wanted at Liverpool, but accepts that the club’s new owners were put in the difficult position of wanting to destroy any legacy left behind by former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

No I'm sorry but if he was winning games and had the team playing good football, nobody would have been bothered that he was the remains of the H&G legacy  :tosser:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #17: Feb 15, 2011 03:57:56 pm
      In a world of his own but what is amazing is that anyone would consider putting him in charge of a five a side kickabout never mind a premier league team in view of his off the scale CV.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2011 04:08:28 pm
      All about Roy again.

He forgets that we may have given him a little bit more respect if he had admitted that it was he who was not good enough and that he was struggling instead of blaming everyone else.

I feel sorry for West Brom fans as they have lost a guy in Di Matteo who seemed like a real good guy and one who tried to play football the right way. Now they have a negative manager who will blame everyone but himself if they go down.

Remember it won't be his fault as he has 35 years of experience and current LMA manager of the year.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2011 04:22:04 pm
      I'll be honest I wanted him before Kenny in the summer. I thought Kenny was out of management for too long and that Hodgson was the man to steady the ship.

I was unbelievably far off the mark but a least we have the King now :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Feb 15, 2011 04:30:29 pm
      Correction - it's 36 years of management now.

Don't short change the man ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #21: Feb 15, 2011 04:38:40 pm
      I'll be honest I wanted him before Kenny in the summer. I thought Kenny was out of management for too long and that Hodgson was the man to steady the ship.

I was unbelievably far off the mark but a least we have the King now :D
      Same as mate I didn't want Kenny's reputation tarnished trying to sort out the F**k up left by H&G and him being out of it for so long as well.
       RH had no reputation to speak of, not by his own opinion of course but events have proved that Kenny has all the attributes to cope with a multitude of F**k ups.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #22: Feb 15, 2011 06:22:37 pm
      I wonder if he was thrown a dead mouse by the press for mentioning Liverpool!!

Quick Reply