Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 140324 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #575: Dec 06, 2014 01:59:07 pm
      Would love to see him develop into a top RB for us, but unfortunately I don't see it.

I actually prefer him at left back meself. He would slot straight in based on our options at LB right now. Everyone seems quite high on Moreno but personally I think he is a goal waiting to happen every time he plays.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #576: Dec 06, 2014 03:53:19 pm
      Flanagan was brilliant at times last year - defensively he got stuck in, unlike Johnson, and attacking wise he was capable too, unlike Manquillo who is getting worse and worse and worse.

Need him back desperately I feel at times - not relying on Johnson or Manquillo.
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #577: Dec 09, 2014 11:33:43 am
      Flanagan will defend, he isn't perfect though as some have pointed out, but he could be superb for us. However playing with someone like Kolo will help him. God if Jamie was still playing half of our sh*te would dissapear wouldn't it....
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #578: Jan 24, 2015 12:23:01 pm
      The kid must be so gutted this season, he came into the team and worked his arse off, then he's out all this season. What type of injury was it? A knee one?
      I miss the guy.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #579: Jan 26, 2015 10:43:32 am
      we need him back soon, hopefully a cameo v bolton
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #580: Feb 22, 2015 11:18:33 pm
      What on earth is going on with Flanno? We're now at 7 months out that's a hell of a lay off. I feel , bit like Martin Kelly the lads career is slipping away from him after the promise of last year.
      Isn't he out of contract in the summer?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #581: Feb 22, 2015 11:25:53 pm
      What on earth is going on with Flanno? We're now at 7 months out that's a hell of a lay off. I feel , bit like Martin Kelly the lads career is slipping away from him after the promise of last year.
      Isn't he out of contract in the summer?

He's had a bad knee injury. Apparently he's due back in the next month or so. He will be offered a new contract, there's no doubt about it. Not sure how you come to the assumption that his career is slipping away from him, last season he played a big part in our title challenge and he's only just turned 22. Overreaction much?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #582: Feb 22, 2015 11:27:53 pm
      He's had a bad knee injury. Apparently he's due back in the next month or so. He will be offered a new contract, there's no doubt about it. Not sure how you come to the assumption that his career is slipping away from him, last season he played a big part in our title challenge and he's only just turned 22. Overreaction much?

Because he's going to have basically missed 1 full season. Happened to Kelly and he was never the same.
      Dyou think he fits into the current system? And why hasn't he signed a new contract?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #583: Feb 22, 2015 11:40:31 pm
      Dyou think he fits into the current system?

Definitely not.

That's not to say he doesn't have a role to play as Brendan has proven he can use many different systems.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #584: Feb 22, 2015 11:42:40 pm
      I also don't see Jon fitting in as a wing back and unfortunately he does not have enough height to be considered as one of the 3 defenders, but I don't expect us to play this formation forever and he's shown in the past he can do a good enough job for us as a RB and LB. Hopefully he'll come back strong, it's a shame he's been out for so long.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #585: Feb 26, 2015 04:34:07 pm
      Anyone got any idea regarding Jon's recovery, is he back training etc ?

YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #586: Feb 26, 2015 07:52:01 pm
      Anyone got any idea regarding Jon's recovery, is he back training etc ?

YNWA

Done for the season isn't he?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #587: Feb 27, 2015 03:56:52 am

this was awesome. pretty sure he fed it to Coutinho who slotted it home. we missed Flano this year, no doubt. his reptuation has not enhanced because he's been out of the side. he's our only full back who knows how to defend, would've been useful this season eh?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #588: Mar 02, 2015 11:12:15 am
      @JamesPearceEcho  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago
      Jordon Ibe out for 3 to 4 weeks with LCL damage. But Jon Flanagan back in full training this week and Steven Gerrard close to comeback. #LFC

Sucks for Jordon, but will be great to see Flanno back!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #589: Mar 02, 2015 11:51:59 am
      @JamesPearceEcho  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago
      Jordon Ibe out for 3 to 4 weeks with LCL damage. But Jon Flanagan back in full training this week and Steven Gerrard close to comeback. #LFC

Sucks for Jordon, but will be great to see Flanno back!

Absolutely gutted about Ibe :(
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #590: Mar 02, 2015 11:54:40 am

this was awesome. pretty sure he fed it to Coutinho who slotted it home. we missed Flano this year, no doubt. his reptuation has not enhanced because he's been out of the side. he's our only full back who knows how to defend, would've been useful this season eh?

You're not wrong, he passed it to Coutinho from around the half way line who then smashed it into the bottom corner. Will be good to see the lad back, seems an eternity since he last played. Not sure exactly how good he would be in our current system though since we use wing backs/wide midfielders and he's more of a defensive minded full back.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #591: Mar 02, 2015 12:03:14 pm
      You're not wrong, he passed it to Coutinho from around the half way line who then smashed it into the bottom corner. Will be good to see the lad back, seems an eternity since he last played. Not sure exactly how good he would be in our current system though since we use wing backs/wide midfielders and he's more of a defensive minded full back.

Could be a good back up for the RCB role though mate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #592: Mar 02, 2015 12:12:35 pm

Right Debs, Jon can step it up when called for, absolutely gutted about Ibe tho'.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #593: Mar 02, 2015 12:23:52 pm
      Right Debs, Jon can step it up when called for, absolutely gutted about Ibe tho'.

Yeah same mate.  I know it's his LCL rather than his ACL but even so, any knee ligament injury at his age could set him back months.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #594: Mar 20, 2015 01:15:38 pm
      i see him in the RWB role for us rather than the RCB in a back 3. give him 2 more seasons as a RWB then maybe move him back into the back 3 either way i want him at the club to keep the scouser influence in the team.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #595: Mar 20, 2015 02:54:23 pm

I've thought about it before, especially as Brendan has given chances at this position to Johnson who is a worse defender than Jon, but I'm unsure about his lack of height, he could easily be targeted there by some teams.

I don't think we'll play 3 at the back forever though, I would expect us to revert to a backline of 4 if not this season, certainly in the next one when we have signed a few more players, so he'll definitely have a place in the team if he can replicate the form he showed last season.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #596: Mar 20, 2015 10:01:06 pm
      I've thought about it before, especially as Brendan has given chances at this position to Johnson who is a worse defender than Jon, but I'm unsure about his lack of height, he could easily be targeted there by some teams.

I don't think we'll play 3 at the back forever though, I would expect us to revert to a backline of 4 if not this season, certainly in the next one when we have signed a few more players, so he'll definitely have a place in the team if he can replicate the form he showed last season.

When fit he would be my first choice for left back in a flat back four mate, I really liked him at left back last season, he looked more suited to the left than the right in my opinion.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #597: Mar 20, 2015 10:09:36 pm

Fair assessment and I agree Cafu Flanno would be better suited in a flat back four however Masch is used as a CB by Barca and  let's not forget one of the greatest CB's of all time Cannavaro, both considerably shorter than Flanno.

Quick Reply