Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 140197 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #805: Mar 19, 2016 01:37:23 pm
      Carragher was a scouser, yeah, but he was also a good footballer and an excellent defender. Flanagan is quite a poor footballer and an okay defender.

Don't know what your definition of a footballer is, but Carra a good footballer and Flanno a poor one? A good CB footballer is someone like Sakho, Ilori, maybe even Lovren, not Carra. And as for Flanno being poorer than Carra in terms of football ability, please elaborate? For me, Flanno is better technically and on the ball, therefore, a better footballer, it's just there for all to see imo.

I'm clearly not a big fan of Flanagan as a player, but I think this is good news. Don't think he'll ever be good enough to nail down a place in the team, but if he gets 10-15 appearances each season in all competitions and acts as cover to the first choice full backs, I'll be happy with that. Good player to have in the squad.

Another example of why it's ludicrous to write off a young player.

Seriously....
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #806: Mar 19, 2016 06:46:34 pm
      F***ing hell some revisionism going on here. Comparing both in the same position i.e full-back - Flanno is the better player by a country f**king mile. You forgotten the absolute sh*te Carra got when he played right-back from half of Anfield? Got booed off in one game around the Christmas of 2000 against Southampton. Flanno gets forward more and is a far better passer of the ball too.

Yep Carra was a brilliant defender - at centre back. Flanno pisses all over him at full-back.

Carragher was a better full back, not that that is relevant seeing as I didn't mention Carragher as a full back. Carragher was part of significantly better defences as a full back. Getting sh*te off of our supporters doesn't mean very much.Our supporters (I include myself in this) are known to be stupid when it comes to this sort of thing. Lucas is the prime example of this. Carragher was a much better passer of the ball too, by the way, whether it's at centre back or at full back. Carragher's passing is ridiculously underrated. He wasn't Hansen, but he could pass the ball well.

Carragher was a better centre back and a better full back than Flanagan. If Flanagan was half as good as some of you like to make out, he'd be better than F***ing Cafu.

Don't know what your definition of a footballer is, but Carra a good footballer and Flanno a poor one? A good CB footballer is someone like Sakho, Ilori, maybe even Lovren, not Carra. And as for Flanno being poorer than Carra in terms of football ability, please elaborate? For me, Flanno is better technically and on the ball, therefore, a better footballer, it's just there for all to see imo.

Jesus wept. Carragher wasn't Hansen, I'm not claiming that. He's a significantly better footballer than Flanagan though. Even at Flanagan's best in 13/14, he had to be hauled off at half time or hooked early on more than one occasion, he was one of the most dribbled past players in the league (might even have been the highest), etc. Flanagan is pretty terrible on the ball. Carragher was a much better footballer than he's given credit for, but that's a discussion for another time. Carra is hardly egotistical and even he would tell you he was a better footballer than he was given credit for.

I don't think Coutinho will ever be the best player in the world. Am I writing Coutinho off?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #807: Mar 19, 2016 07:12:43 pm
      He's a significantly better footballer than Flanagan though. Even at Flanagan's best in 13/14, he had to be hauled off at half time or hooked early on more than one occasion, he was one of the most dribbled past players in the league(might even have been the highest)

This has nothing to do with footballing ability, so I don't even know why you are bringing it up.

Flanagan is pretty terrible on the ball. Carragher was a much better footballer than he's given credit for, but that's a discussion for another time. Carra is hardly egotistical and even he would tell you he was a better footballer than he was given credit for.

Your opinion, but I actually think he is far from terrible :)

I don't think Coutinho will ever be the best player in the world. Am I writing Coutinho off?

But what's the difference with you highlighting other posters on the Can thread and calling them out as posters to have written him off? But whatever.

I'm not referring to any single player. I'm referring to a number of players. People have been in the Origi thread comparing him to N'gog, Moreno has been taking all sorts of abuse, Can, Ibe, and the list goes on.

No one has written him off? Really? From the last page alone...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #808: Mar 19, 2016 07:32:28 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #809: Mar 19, 2016 07:44:53 pm
      Brilliant news, he's earned it. Discuss all you want about talent but the heart is without question, you could see how he fires up players around him with his aggression.

He's got plenty of talent despite what some say, sure he's not the most cultured and possibly wont be our starting LB/RB when everybody is fit but to have Flanno to call on as an able deputy plus have his presence in the dressing room I think will be very good indeed. That scouse heart mixed with his passion is something I think can only be seen as a good thing.

Congrats Flanno.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #810: Mar 19, 2016 07:46:47 pm
      Well in Jon lad and any c**t who doesn't like it can go get fu**ed with a dog's tool.  >:D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #811: Mar 19, 2016 07:52:00 pm
      F***ing hell some revisionism going on here. Comparing both in the same position i.e full-back - Flanno is the better player by a country f**king mile. You forgotten the absolute sh*te Carra got when he played right-back from half of Anfield? Got booed off in one game around the Christmas of 2000 against Southampton. Flanno gets forward more and is a far better passer of the ball too.

Yep Carra was a brilliant defender - at centre back. Flanno pisses all over him at full-back.

remember carra hitting the kop roof with something intending to be a cross
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #812: Mar 19, 2016 08:31:52 pm
      Made up for the lad.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #813: Mar 19, 2016 09:40:10 pm
      He is good enough for us and the fact he's local makes him a very important player.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #814: Mar 20, 2016 01:28:54 am
      Fantastic stuff, thanks Jürgen and well done Flano. You are one of us!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,211 posts | 8569 
      Reply #815: Mar 20, 2016 11:01:34 am
      Carragher was a better full back, not that that is relevant seeing as I didn't mention Carragher as a full back. Carragher was part of significantly better defences as a full back. Getting sh*te off of our supporters doesn't mean very much.Our supporters (I include myself in this) are known to be stupid when it comes to this sort of thing. Lucas is the prime example of this. Carragher was a much better passer of the ball too, by the way, whether it's at centre back or at full back. Carragher's passing is ridiculously underrated. He wasn't Hansen, but he could pass the ball well.

Carragher was a better centre back and a better full back than Flanagan. If Flanagan was half as good as some of you like to make out, he'd be better than F***ing Cafu.

F**k off talking out of your arse, Carra was a F***ing awful full-back, probably why he was replaced by Babbel at right-back and got binned off from left-back once we got Riise!!

I'd have Carra all day at centre-back and it's were Houllier fu**ed up - by picking Biscan ahead of him.

But I just don't F***ing agree, I've seen both at full-back - the position they are being comapred and Flanno is a better player in that position imo.

But then again you still think Moreno is a good full-back!!

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #816: Mar 20, 2016 03:35:52 pm
      Was very poor today
      HerZamanKIRMIZI
      • Forum Youth Player

• 23 posts |
      Reply #817: Mar 20, 2016 03:39:22 pm
      The first goal was his fault. He shouldn't have lost the ball in that area.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #818: Mar 20, 2016 03:54:55 pm
      F**k off talking out of your arse, Carra was a f**king awful full-back, probably why he was replaced by Babbel at right-back and got binned off from left-back once we got Riise!!

I'd have Carra all day at centre-back and it's were Houllier fu**ed up - by picking Biscan ahead of him.

But I just don't f**king agree, I've seen both at full-back - the position they are being comapred and Flanno is a better player in that position imo.

But then again you still think Moreno is a good full-back!!

Babbel was a brilliant player. Riise was a better full back than Carragher, but Riise was better than Flanagan too so that's irrelevant.

Carragher played the treble season at full back and was solid throughout in a season in which we had quite a good defence. Flanagan today has once again highlighted why he'd be incapable of doing that role.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #819: Mar 20, 2016 04:00:02 pm

the way he lost the ball for Southampton's first goal was just bad
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #820: Mar 20, 2016 04:00:55 pm
      Terrible game today if I'm being honest. Hope it doesn't drag his confidence down.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #821: Mar 20, 2016 04:14:11 pm
      the way he lost the ball for Southampton's first goal was just bad

Hum seriously ?

He's pressed make a faint and cleanly pass the ball to a midfielder, and instead of bringing it forward or passing to the other side, whoever that was (Lalanna I think ?) find nothing else to do than to immediatly give him back in a dangerous area.

I don't think he's the one to blame there.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #822: Mar 20, 2016 04:43:02 pm
      Hum seriously ?

He's pressed make a faint and cleanly pass the ball to a midfielder, and instead of bringing it forward or passing to the other side, whoever that was (Lalanna I think ?) find nothing else to do than to immediatly give him back in a dangerous area.

I don't think he's the one to blame there.

Yes seriously.

watch it again, his first touch let him down and he lost the ball as a result, 100% his fault.

It was Can who gave him back the pass and it's not his fault, you just don't lose that ball in that area.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #823: Mar 20, 2016 10:18:34 pm
      I think we've established that no one cares how poorly he plays.  It's not about that for them.  They just want Flanagan in the team because of where he was born and because (they think) he works hard.  If he costs us goals etc then that's inconsequential.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #824: Mar 21, 2016 02:46:09 am
      No you blert, we want Flano in the team because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qONyWkeMjO8

dont talk bollocks all the time
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #825: Mar 21, 2016 03:41:12 am

The irony

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,658 posts | 487 
      Reply #826: Mar 21, 2016 03:43:50 am
      I personally believe that Jon gets a bit over rated by our own fans. TBH he is a very limited player in terms of technique and speed which is going to hurt him  (and us) in this league.

P.S- I accidently touched like option on the above post. Any way to undo it, mods?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #827: Mar 21, 2016 05:41:03 am
      No you blert, we want Flano in the team because of this

Um did you actually watch that video before you posted it?  The first minute is a montage of him walking around doing nothing.  It's then followed by clips of him making stupid fouls, giving the ball away, peppered with a few half decent passes.  That's why you want him in the team?

Look I'm not saying Flanagan is the worst player ever to play football.  I'm just saying that he's not nearly the player some of you make him out to be.  He's ok.  Nothing more nothing less.

For comparison, he's no where near the player Martin Kelly was for us.  Kelly was a local lad BUT he also had talent to go with his grit and hardwork.  Unfortunately he just couldn't stay fit.

I have no idea what is going to happen to Flanagan in the next few years, maybe he'll become a top class player, who knows.  All I'm saying is that he's shown nothing up until now to show that he is undoubtedly deserving of a new contract. 

Quick Reply