Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Leicester [Premier League] Wed 30th Jan @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of January and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W11 D5 L6

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 70653 times
      Munch101
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 380 posts | 48 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread (On Loan at Burnley)
      Reply #900: Jan 10, 2017 10:37:15 am
      Said it once i'll say it again, not good enough for the premier league.

Played half a good season in the year SAS carried us and made teams terrified of us so much so that even I could have done a job at left back!

Feel like he is getting credit because he's a scouser and because he smashed the 5 stone raheem sterling once....
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #901: Jan 10, 2017 04:35:30 pm
      Said it once i'll say it again, not good enough for the premier league.

Played half a good season in the year SAS carried us and made teams terrified of us so much so that even I could have done a job at left back!

Feel like he is getting credit because he's a scouser and because he smashed the 5 stone raheem sterling once....

I totally believe the opposite. He is like Carragher, his quality is not in football terms but in mentality and determination. Both plays for the shirt. I'm not saying they are the same far from it but both display the same qualities.

I would love him to be our back-up player for both side wings.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,451 posts | 335 
      Reply #902: Jun 17, 2017 04:00:18 pm
      Took some time to find this thread, such a shame about his injuries and seems like he just can't get back to what he was, never let us down. I remember us playing City and can't remember if it was home or away and he came up against Navas, I thought whoa he will never cope with his pace, turns out he didn't have to, he played a blinder and read him like a book, never got past him once. Oh and he was playing left back in that game!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #903: Jun 17, 2017 06:43:12 pm
      Reality was he never was good enough even if he had the heart and passion that thrived for the club.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,525 posts | 257 
      Reply #904: Jun 17, 2017 10:56:21 pm
      Reality was he never was good enough even if he had the heart and passion that thrived for the club.

Are you kidding? He was excellent
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #905: Jun 17, 2017 11:09:02 pm

So excellent that Klopp sent him on loan to Burnley...to sit on the bench.
      « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2017 11:13:07 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,705 posts | 2648 
      Reply #906: Jun 17, 2017 11:28:27 pm

You taking the piss?

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #907: Jun 17, 2017 11:34:00 pm

To be honest I've got to wonder about someone's standards for this squad when they say Wisdom and Flanagan should be in it!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,525 posts | 257 
      Reply #908: Jun 19, 2017 01:11:02 pm
      So excellent that Klopp sent him on loan to Burnley...to sit on the bench.

before his injuries i would not say he 'wasnt good enough for liverpool'
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,759 posts | 3411 
      Reply #909: Jun 19, 2017 04:24:54 pm

From when Kenny brought him through up until he got that bad injury, he always played for the shirt and did his best whenever called upon.

Can't ask for more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMhvLptH3Y

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,705 posts | 2648 
      Reply #910: Jun 19, 2017 04:27:12 pm
      From when Kenny brought him through up until he got that bad injury, he always played for the shirt and did his best whenever called upon.

Can't ask for more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMhvLptH3Y

Good honest scouser and would run through a brick wall for LFC but unfortunately still not good enough.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,759 posts | 3411 
      Reply #911: Jun 19, 2017 04:44:35 pm
      Good honest scouser and would run through a brick wall for LFC but unfortunately still not good enough.

He's still a better defender than Moreno, even now!! :lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,470 posts | 1005 
      Reply #912: Jun 19, 2017 04:51:56 pm
      Will live more fondly in my memory than the likes of Moreno. Not because he's scouse, but because he was better.

Got a defenders brain, but seemingly injuries have for now stalled his progress.

His best bet now is to probably drop down a league and look to work hos way back up.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,705 posts | 2648 
      Reply #913: Jun 19, 2017 05:02:51 pm
      He's still a better defender than Moreno, even now!! :lmao:

Can't argue with that.  :D

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      Reply #914: Jun 19, 2017 05:05:43 pm
      I would hold to him and let him be a back-up to both RB and LB. He is similar to Carragher in the sense that he plays better through his passion. He is not world class but gives his 101%.
      Danzel
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 845 
      Reply #915: Jun 20, 2017 06:21:47 pm
      I would hold to him and let him be a back-up to both RB and LB. He is similar to Carragher in the sense that he plays better through his passion. He is not world class but gives his 101%.

He could give it 1001% and he would still not be good enough. We have plenty of cover for RB in Clyne, Trent and even Milner. We'd also be crazy to have another right-footed player as back up for LB behind Milner. As it seems, we're in for a young LB who will be an understudy to Milner (wether that's a good idea, is up for discusssion of course). That's enough cover for both fullback positions.

I still don't get from where the idea has come that he is decent. He's not even average to be honest. He's a bit like Skrtel. He puts in some crunching, last ditch tackles, makes it look spectacular, but that's about it. Even in the '13-'14 season he was a weak spot in an already very weak backline. Any decent winger with some dribbling skills would run past him, he was the most dribbled by player in the PL that year.

He should drop down a level to the Championship and see how he does there. He didn't even get a look in at Burnley as a back-up. There's no way he should be a back-up for us.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #916: Jun 20, 2017 07:00:10 pm
      He could give it 1001% and he would still not be good enough. We have plenty of cover for RB in Clyne, Trent and even Milner. We'd also be crazy to have another right-footed player as back up for LB behind Milner. As it seems, we're in for a young LB who will be an understudy to Milner (wether that's a good idea, is up for discusssion of course). That's enough cover for both fullback positions.

I still don't get from where the idea has come that he is decent. He's not even average to be honest. He's a bit like Skrtel. He puts in some crunching, last ditch tackles, makes it look spectacular, but that's about it. Even in the '13-'14 season he was a weak spot in an already very weak backline. Any decent winger with some dribbling skills would run past him, he was the most dribbled by player in the PL that year.

He should drop down a level to the Championship and see how he does there. He didn't even get a look in at Burnley as a back-up. There's no way he should be a back-up for us.

Absolutely. Though not as infuriatingly buttheaded as Skrtel his style of play was not exactly 'intelligent' and at our level we really need more than 'he's passionate and committed'. He gets exposed and bypassed far too many times and his ability of holding onto the ball high up is pretty awful as I seem to recall. I'm stating the bloody obvious here but if he wasn't scouse he would be long gone.
      BostonScouse
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 75 
      Reply #917: Jun 28, 2017 03:06:24 pm
      I disagree with a lot of the analysis on here, characterizing him as never having been good enough.

He shined for a time, proving many doubters wrong especially after BR's "Cafu" remark. I remember in particular a stand-out performance against the mancs where I don't think anyone got past him all day.

He was then terribly unlucky with injuries and has found game time tough to come by since coming back. I wonder if he'll find his feet again in the next couple of years and have himself a tidy career. Admittedly, probably not with us though.
      althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,451 posts | 335 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #918: Jul 07, 2017 11:18:08 am
      He has been saying he is raring to go into pre season, if this lad gets back to what he was, wow like a new signing and can cover right or left. Good luck lad  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,146 posts | 1445 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #919: Jul 07, 2017 11:23:43 am
      Fingers crossed for him
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #920: Aug 02, 2017 05:22:59 pm
      I think it's time for Flanagan to leave the club. Not out of disrespect to the lad but I genuinely think that it's what's best for him at this point. I also think what would be best for him is a move to a Championship club where he'd get regular game time and hopefully establish himself and kick on. He's 24 years old and has only made 46 league appearances in his entire career. 46. This is in an age where players are breaking into teams and establishing themselves at a much younger age. Renato Sanches, for example, is linked with a €40M move to Milan. If that move goes through then the lad would have played for Benfica, Bayern and Milan as well as a European Championship winning Portugal team all before the age of 20. It's sheer madness but that's the sort of pace football is moving at right now and I feel that football may leave Jon behind if he doesn't go out and play.

I struggle to see him establishing himself anywhere in the Premier League (maybe Huddersfield?) right now especially with him struggling to break into the Burnley team last season. A move to a Championship side on the right side of the table like Middlesbrough for example is exactly what he needs in my opinion.

The only season where he was anything resembling a regular was the 2013/14 season which was the year before the last World Cup and now we find ourselves in the year before the next World Cup. He has had absolutely rotten luck with injuries but I think that it's clear that he isn't going to play much if at all here. Currently I'd say that Clyne and TAA are definitely ahead of him on the right and Milner, Robertson and Moreno (if he stays) are ahead of him on the left. Unfortunately he isn't the sort of talent Sturridge is where we have to coddle him and hope that he can stay fit because there are few better than him we've just passed Jon by and I hope he goes out and plays before the rest of his career passes him by too. Football careers are (relatively) very short and the lad deserves to enjoy himself while it lasts instead of watching others play in my opinion.
      trebor12
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 956 posts | 60 
      Reply #921: Sep 02, 2017 08:13:26 am
      With the cover we have at full back now I think it will be difficult for Flanno to get games in that position. I know he's not the tallest at 5'11 but maybe Jon could fill in at CB in the cup games.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      Reply #922: Sep 02, 2017 08:32:57 am
      With the cover we have at full back now I think it will be difficult for Flanno to get games in that position. I know he's not the tallest at 5'11 but maybe Jon could fill in at CB in the cup games.

He's too 'tempered' in the sense, he is a penalty prone. He needs to be much timed in his tackles.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #923: Sep 02, 2017 08:52:37 am
      Scouse Cafu he was once called, he'll see action in some point, will give Klopp the chance to make a decision on him once and for all, hope Flanno proves the naysayers wrong as truth be told Clyne needs some proper competition as I feel some of his performances last season were like he knew his startling XI place was safe irrespective of effort..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,753 posts | 2025 
      Reply #924: Sep 02, 2017 09:25:03 am
      Scouse Cafu he was once called, he'll see action in some point, will give Klopp the chance to make a decision on him once and for all, hope Flanno proves the naysayers wrong as truth be told Clyne needs some proper competition as I feel some of his performances last season were like he knew his startling XI place was safe irrespective of effort..

In terms of Clyne I don't think he looked complacent as much as limited last season mate.

Reminded me a bit of Gary Stevens that used to play for the bitters.

Strong, very quick but ultimately a very limited and mechanical footballer.

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      Reply #925: Sep 02, 2017 09:28:23 am

If Clyne was complacent, he can't be no more because of Gomez, Trent and Flanagan as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,922 posts | 3037 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #926: Jun 08, 2018 05:01:31 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,789 posts | 1022 
      Reply #927: Jun 08, 2018 05:11:15 pm
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,088 posts | 3029 
      Reply #928: Jun 08, 2018 05:32:14 pm
      Not sure why anyone would call John Flanagan a "sucka". Such a shame there was a time when he looked like he would be a regular in the team but he has just gone backwards since his injury. I hope he finds a club and enjoys his football.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 766 posts | 174 
      Reply #929: Jun 08, 2018 05:42:42 pm
      How much of his departure is due to form vs. his domestic abuse issue?

Quick Reply