Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 140383 times
      MsGerrard
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #782: Mar 18, 2016 06:04:57 pm

It's done and dusted  8) just seen some piccy's on fb with Jürgen  :scarf:

Keep Liverpool Scouse Blood !!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #783: Mar 18, 2016 08:24:19 pm

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #784: Mar 18, 2016 09:37:13 pm
      Thoroughly, thoroughly made up for the lad. He'd be even better if it wasn't for the injury he suffered. This shows what hard work, a never say die attitude and professionalism gets you. Big congrats Jon!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #785: Mar 18, 2016 10:10:04 pm
      What exactly has he done to merit being given a new contract?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #786: Mar 18, 2016 10:11:52 pm

Oh FFS !!! Are you for real  >:(

See mcarz post above for the answer to that  :action-smiley-055:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #787: Mar 18, 2016 10:13:20 pm

Fantastic news Cas, the lads worked so hard to get back in the squad.  I couldn't be happier that he's going to be here for a few more years.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #788: Mar 18, 2016 10:18:06 pm
      Fantastic news Cas, the lads worked so hard to get back in the squad.  I couldn't be happier that he's going to be here for a few more years.

Isn't it just Debs  :D it's a damn good job some of us can see the quality the lad has...Jürgen included  8)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #789: Mar 18, 2016 10:23:19 pm
      Isn't it just Debs  :D it's a damn good job some of us can see the quality the lad has...Jürgen included  8)

Very true Hun, we could do with more of his ilk.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #790: Mar 18, 2016 10:25:29 pm
      Very true Hun, we could do with more of his ilk.

Absolutely...quality he is.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #791: Mar 18, 2016 10:30:13 pm

You can't put a price on Scouse pride Cas.  He doesn't just want to win for his pay check, or his own career advancement but because he's a fan, just like us.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #792: Mar 18, 2016 10:34:13 pm
      You can't put a price on Scouse pride Cas.  He doesn't just want to win for his pay check, or his own career advancement but because he's a fan, just like us.

Deffo, he's got that bit of Carra and Stevie in him too  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #793: Mar 18, 2016 10:43:01 pm
      Deffo, he's got that bit of Carra and Stevie in him too  :kop5cf8koxp6:

We've got our dna back.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #794: Mar 18, 2016 11:15:01 pm
      Glad to see he's signed a new deal, hope to see him really kick start his career now
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #795: Mar 19, 2016 01:49:03 am

WtF mate?

Everyone know he's not Cafu but it's not all about athletically talent we need in the team. I'm disappointed you too much underestimate value of the hard working the lad done so far which even Klopp appreciated it.

Flanno is renowned by the supporters of his will of steel, proud to play for his team like Carragher, and the lad is not a bad footballer and still young so he can develop.

Congrats Flanno, YNWA :scarf:
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #796: Mar 19, 2016 06:34:16 am
      WtF mate?

Everyone know he's not Cafu but it's not all about athletically talent we need in the team. I'm disappointed you too much underestimate value of the hard working the lad done so far which even Klopp appreciated it.

Flanno is renowned by the supporters of his will of steel, proud to play for his team like Carragher, and the lad is not a bad footballer and still young so he can develop.

Congrats Flanno, YNWA :scarf:

Carragher was significantly more talented and it's a massive disservice to Carragher to compare them, to be honest. Carragher was a scouser, yeah, but he was also a good footballer and an excellent defender. Flanagan is quite a poor footballer and an okay defender.

I'm clearly not a big fan of Flanagan as a player, but I think this is good news. Don't think he'll ever be good enough to nail down a place in the team, but if he gets 10-15 appearances each season in all competitions and acts as cover to the first choice full backs, I'll be happy with that. Good player to have in the squad.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #797: Mar 19, 2016 07:14:21 am
      Oh FFS !!! Are you for real  >:(  See mcarz post above for the answer to that  :action-smiley-055:

Are you referring to this one?

Thoroughly, thoroughly made up for the lad. He'd be even better if it wasn't for the injury he suffered. This shows what hard work, a never say die attitude and professionalism gets you. Big congrats Jon!

If that is the one that you're referring to then I'm wondering how exactly that in and of itself is deserving of a new contract.  You're suggesting that because he works hard, and he doesn't give up, he deserves a new contract.  Shouldn't hard work and perseverance be requirements for EVERY player? 

Ings seems to have being working hard after getting injured.  Should we give him a contract extension as well, even though he just signed?

WtF mate?  Everyone know he's not Cafu but it's not all about athletically talent we need in the team. I'm disappointed you too much underestimate value of the hard working the lad done so far which even Klopp appreciated it. Flanno is renowned by the supporters of his will of steel, proud to play for his team like Carragher, and the lad is not a bad footballer and still young so he can develop.

Okay, so now we're not even pretending anymore, we're happy to admit that talent isn't a requirement.  I've said this before and I'll say it again: if we want passion and hard work we could just go sign all the lads from Tranmere Rovers.  They'd fight for the shirt and work harder than you could ever imagine.  We'd get relegated mind but hey they would be hard working!!!

I'm not saying Flanagan is the world's worst footballer or anything.  He's alright.  He had some good moments the season we nearly won the title.  He's also incredibly rash and gets yellow cards like they're going out of style.  He also makes some pretty stupid footballing decisions at bad moments; remember the backpass to Doni at Blackburn a few years back, that Doni had to scramble for and ended up getting sent off? 

Look I have no idea how he's going to turn out.  F**k's sake, he can't be any worse than Moreno.  But all of you building him up like he is some superstar in the making is absurd.  He's a decent player and nothing more (yet).  Hard work isn't enough to be rewarded at our club.  We need hard work as a BARE MINIMUM, abundant talent on top of it.  Suarez was the hardest working player I've ever seen play for the club.  And yet it just so happened that he was also one of the most talented.  We need BOTH.

But you seem to want to reward a player for only having one. 

No idea how this lad's career will play out.  While he's far from the worst player in the world, he's also not even half as good as you lot are making him out to be.
      Kopite78
      Reply #798: Mar 19, 2016 07:21:50 am

If that is the one that you're referring to then I'm wondering how exactly that in and of itself is deserving of a new contract.  You're suggesting that because he works hard, and he doesn't give up, he deserves a new contract.  Shouldn't hard work and perseverance be requirements for EVERY player? 

Ings seems to have being working hard after getting injured.  Should we give him a contract extension as well, even though he just signed?

Okay, so now we're not even pretending anymore, we're happy to admit that talent isn't a requirement.  I've said this before and I'll say it again: if we want passion and hard work we could just go sign all the lads from Tranmere Rovers.  They'd fight for the shirt and work harder than you could ever imagine.  We'd get relegated mind but hey they would be hard working!!!

I'm not saying Flanagan is the world's worst footballer or anything.  He's alright.  He had some good moments the season we nearly won the title.  He's also incredibly rash and gets yellow cards like they're going out of style.  He also makes some pretty stupid footballing decisions at bad moments; remember the backpass to Doni at Blackburn a few years back, that Doni had to scramble for and ended up getting sent off? 

Look I have no idea how he's going to turn out.  F**k's sake, he can't be any worse than Moreno.  But all of you building him up like he is some superstar in the making is absurd.  He's a decent player and nothing more (yet).  Hard work isn't enough to be rewarded at our club.  We need hard work as a BARE MINIMUM, abundant talent on top of it.  Suarez was the hardest working player I've ever seen play for the club.  And yet it just so happened that he was also one of the most talented.  We need BOTH.

No idea how this lad's career will play out.  While he's far from the worst player in the world, he's also not even half as good as you lot are making him out to be.

Its not a case of rewarding him, he was going to be out of contract in the summer and would have left on a free has he not signed a new deal.
      Its not like he had 3 years to run and they gave him an extension.

He's good solid cover for both sides at Full Back, a no brainier for me we get him to stay then we don't have to waste any of the summer budget on something unnecessary. He's a good lad, a great squad option and letting him go for nothing then wasting a chunk of the summer budget? Glad you're not running the club mate

Makes sense for us and I'm made up for him on a personal note.

Go ed Flanno la
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #799: Mar 19, 2016 12:03:36 pm
      Carragher was significantly more talented and it's a massive disservice to Carragher to compare them, to be honest. Carragher was a scouser, yeah, but he was also a good footballer and an excellent defender. Flanagan is quite a poor footballer and an okay defender.

I'm clearly not a big fan of Flanagan as a player, but I think this is good news. Don't think he'll ever be good enough to nail down a place in the team, but if he gets 10-15 appearances each season in all competitions and acts as cover to the first choice full backs, I'll be happy with that. Good player to have in the squad.

I'm not comparing Flanno to Carra. But I'm not agree that Carra was such an excellent defender, especially at full back, Flanno too.

I too not a big fan of him but the young man just came back for over a year serious injured, running out his contract, and, Jürgen Klopp who watching him on the training ground and on the pitch want to keep him, why people worry too much?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #800: Mar 19, 2016 12:12:32 pm

F***ing hell some revisionism going on here. Comparing both in the same position i.e full-back - Flanno is the better player by a country F***ing mile. You forgotten the absolute sh*te Carra got when he played right-back from half of Anfield? Got booed off in one game around the Christmas of 2000 against Southampton. Flanno gets forward more and is a far better passer of the ball too.

Yep Carra was a brilliant defender - at centre back. Flanno pisses all over him at full-back.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #801: Mar 19, 2016 12:19:50 pm
      Made up Flanno has signed on for another 3 years, going to be his most productive too in my opinion.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #802: Mar 19, 2016 12:20:47 pm

No one say talent isn't a requirement, people maybe big him up a bit but he's not as bad as you think.
      He's just came back from serious injuries for over a year, if he's not deserve a new contract no one force the club and Klopp to say keep him. If he's such a bad player the club would happy to see him go for free (instead of headache trying to get rid of the like of Balotelli :mad:).

About the mistakes, what player never do a few?, remember Gerrard pass to Henry in England vs France? it's not end of the world :D

You said "Look I have no idea how he's going to turn out" and "No idea how this lad's career will play out" by yourself, so, now how can you decide Flanno shouldn't give a new contract.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #803: Mar 19, 2016 12:28:25 pm

You're such a miserable f**ker at times Fed.

Did I say he only offers hard work etc? He's a good player and unlike Ings his contract ends this summer so it was either give him a 25k a week deal (barely breaking the bank) or let him go on a free. Ings has multiple years left so you've used the worst example ever there lad.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #804: Mar 19, 2016 01:20:26 pm
       ;D I don't think I need to add anymore  >:D

Quick Reply