Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 139235 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #874: Aug 05, 2016 10:12:44 pm
      I'm really quite sad about this one. I hope this isn't the last we see of him in Liverpool red.

The only way the gaffer will know if he has recovered from his injury and to know if he is good enough for LFC is for Jon to play a full season...he is not going to get that here; this is a good deal for him to get out there and get some minutes in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #875: Aug 05, 2016 10:43:28 pm

;D. I was bothered that I had crossed him of my magic squad list and written him down under "Loaned" after one of the other mentions. Thought I would have to start a new sheet.  :D - Someday I'll start keeping this on Excel....

I do think it's the right thing for Flanno,though.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #876: Aug 06, 2016 06:35:04 am
      I'm really quite sad about this one. I hope this isn't the last we see of him in Liverpool red.

Why?

he's really not that great.  Were he not scouse no one would be thinking twice about it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread (On Loan at Burnley)
      Reply #877: Jan 04, 2017 11:08:13 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #878: Jan 04, 2017 04:51:59 pm
      Unfortunately I'm starting to think he just hasn't got what it takes to make it. Them injuries have really taken it out of him. I can't see how he would get into our squad either.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #879: Jan 04, 2017 05:20:49 pm
      Unfortunately I'm starting to think he just hasn't got what it takes to make it. Them injuries have really taken it out of him. I can't see how he would get into our squad either.

I think the hype on here was way over the top for what he is, which is a pretty average Premier League player, seemingly just because he "got stuck in" and because he's a local lad.
      That's not to say he's a bad player. I'm sure he'd get into a fair few Prem teams, but he's just not good enough for us, except maybe in the early rounds of cups.

TAA is a much better bet for the future, and when Flanagan comes back, he'll be restricted to a squad player, at best.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #880: Jan 10, 2017 10:37:15 am
      Said it once i'll say it again, not good enough for the premier league.

Played half a good season in the year SAS carried us and made teams terrified of us so much so that even I could have done a job at left back!

Feel like he is getting credit because he's a scouser and because he smashed the 5 stone raheem sterling once....
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #881: Jan 10, 2017 04:35:30 pm
      Said it once i'll say it again, not good enough for the premier league.

Played half a good season in the year SAS carried us and made teams terrified of us so much so that even I could have done a job at left back!

Feel like he is getting credit because he's a scouser and because he smashed the 5 stone raheem sterling once....

I totally believe the opposite. He is like Carragher, his quality is not in football terms but in mentality and determination. Both plays for the shirt. I'm not saying they are the same far from it but both display the same qualities.

I would love him to be our back-up player for both side wings.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #882: Jun 17, 2017 06:43:12 pm
      Reality was he never was good enough even if he had the heart and passion that thrived for the club.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #883: Jun 17, 2017 10:56:21 pm
      Reality was he never was good enough even if he had the heart and passion that thrived for the club.

Are you kidding? He was excellent
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #884: Jun 17, 2017 11:09:02 pm

So excellent that Klopp sent him on loan to Burnley...to sit on the bench.
      « Last Edit: Jun 17, 2017 11:13:07 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #885: Jun 17, 2017 11:28:27 pm

You taking the piss?

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #886: Jun 17, 2017 11:34:00 pm

To be honest I've got to wonder about someone's standards for this squad when they say Wisdom and Flanagan should be in it!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #887: Jun 19, 2017 01:11:02 pm
      So excellent that Klopp sent him on loan to Burnley...to sit on the bench.

before his injuries i would not say he 'wasnt good enough for liverpool'
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #888: Jun 19, 2017 04:24:54 pm

From when Kenny brought him through up until he got that bad injury, he always played for the shirt and did his best whenever called upon.

Can't ask for more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMhvLptH3Y

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #889: Jun 19, 2017 04:27:12 pm
      From when Kenny brought him through up until he got that bad injury, he always played for the shirt and did his best whenever called upon.

Can't ask for more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMhvLptH3Y

Good honest scouser and would run through a brick wall for LFC but unfortunately still not good enough.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #890: Jun 19, 2017 04:44:35 pm
      Good honest scouser and would run through a brick wall for LFC but unfortunately still not good enough.

He's still a better defender than Moreno, even now!! :lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #891: Jun 19, 2017 04:51:56 pm
      Will live more fondly in my memory than the likes of Moreno. Not because he's scouse, but because he was better.

Got a defenders brain, but seemingly injuries have for now stalled his progress.

His best bet now is to probably drop down a league and look to work hos way back up.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #892: Jun 19, 2017 05:02:51 pm
      He's still a better defender than Moreno, even now!! :lmao:

Can't argue with that.  :D

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #893: Jun 19, 2017 05:05:43 pm
      I would hold to him and let him be a back-up to both RB and LB. He is similar to Carragher in the sense that he plays better through his passion. He is not world class but gives his 101%.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #894: Jun 20, 2017 06:21:47 pm
      I would hold to him and let him be a back-up to both RB and LB. He is similar to Carragher in the sense that he plays better through his passion. He is not world class but gives his 101%.

He could give it 1001% and he would still not be good enough. We have plenty of cover for RB in Clyne, Trent and even Milner. We'd also be crazy to have another right-footed player as back up for LB behind Milner. As it seems, we're in for a young LB who will be an understudy to Milner (wether that's a good idea, is up for discusssion of course). That's enough cover for both fullback positions.

I still don't get from where the idea has come that he is decent. He's not even average to be honest. He's a bit like Skrtel. He puts in some crunching, last ditch tackles, makes it look spectacular, but that's about it. Even in the '13-'14 season he was a weak spot in an already very weak backline. Any decent winger with some dribbling skills would run past him, he was the most dribbled by player in the PL that year.

He should drop down a level to the Championship and see how he does there. He didn't even get a look in at Burnley as a back-up. There's no way he should be a back-up for us.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #895: Jun 20, 2017 07:00:10 pm
      He could give it 1001% and he would still not be good enough. We have plenty of cover for RB in Clyne, Trent and even Milner. We'd also be crazy to have another right-footed player as back up for LB behind Milner. As it seems, we're in for a young LB who will be an understudy to Milner (wether that's a good idea, is up for discusssion of course). That's enough cover for both fullback positions.

I still don't get from where the idea has come that he is decent. He's not even average to be honest. He's a bit like Skrtel. He puts in some crunching, last ditch tackles, makes it look spectacular, but that's about it. Even in the '13-'14 season he was a weak spot in an already very weak backline. Any decent winger with some dribbling skills would run past him, he was the most dribbled by player in the PL that year.

He should drop down a level to the Championship and see how he does there. He didn't even get a look in at Burnley as a back-up. There's no way he should be a back-up for us.

Absolutely. Though not as infuriatingly buttheaded as Skrtel his style of play was not exactly 'intelligent' and at our level we really need more than 'he's passionate and committed'. He gets exposed and bypassed far too many times and his ability of holding onto the ball high up is pretty awful as I seem to recall. I'm stating the bloody obvious here but if he wasn't scouse he would be long gone.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #896: Jun 28, 2017 03:06:24 pm
      I disagree with a lot of the analysis on here, characterizing him as never having been good enough.

He shined for a time, proving many doubters wrong especially after BR's "Cafu" remark. I remember in particular a stand-out performance against the mancs where I don't think anyone got past him all day.

He was then terribly unlucky with injuries and has found game time tough to come by since coming back. I wonder if he'll find his feet again in the next couple of years and have himself a tidy career. Admittedly, probably not with us though.

Quick Reply