Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool > Rangers)

Read 139227 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Jon Flanagan Player Thread
      Reply #897: Jul 07, 2017 11:23:43 am
      Fingers crossed for him
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #898: Aug 02, 2017 05:22:59 pm
      I think it's time for Flanagan to leave the club. Not out of disrespect to the lad but I genuinely think that it's what's best for him at this point. I also think what would be best for him is a move to a Championship club where he'd get regular game time and hopefully establish himself and kick on. He's 24 years old and has only made 46 league appearances in his entire career. 46. This is in an age where players are breaking into teams and establishing themselves at a much younger age. Renato Sanches, for example, is linked with a €40M move to Milan. If that move goes through then the lad would have played for Benfica, Bayern and Milan as well as a European Championship winning Portugal team all before the age of 20. It's sheer madness but that's the sort of pace football is moving at right now and I feel that football may leave Jon behind if he doesn't go out and play.

I struggle to see him establishing himself anywhere in the Premier League (maybe Huddersfield?) right now especially with him struggling to break into the Burnley team last season. A move to a Championship side on the right side of the table like Middlesbrough for example is exactly what he needs in my opinion.

The only season where he was anything resembling a regular was the 2013/14 season which was the year before the last World Cup and now we find ourselves in the year before the next World Cup. He has had absolutely rotten luck with injuries but I think that it's clear that he isn't going to play much if at all here. Currently I'd say that Clyne and TAA are definitely ahead of him on the right and Milner, Robertson and Moreno (if he stays) are ahead of him on the left. Unfortunately he isn't the sort of talent Sturridge is where we have to coddle him and hope that he can stay fit because there are few better than him we've just passed Jon by and I hope he goes out and plays before the rest of his career passes him by too. Football careers are (relatively) very short and the lad deserves to enjoy himself while it lasts instead of watching others play in my opinion.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #899: Sep 02, 2017 08:13:26 am
      With the cover we have at full back now I think it will be difficult for Flanno to get games in that position. I know he's not the tallest at 5'11 but maybe Jon could fill in at CB in the cup games.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #900: Sep 02, 2017 08:32:57 am
      With the cover we have at full back now I think it will be difficult for Flanno to get games in that position. I know he's not the tallest at 5'11 but maybe Jon could fill in at CB in the cup games.

He's too 'tempered' in the sense, he is a penalty prone. He needs to be much timed in his tackles.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #901: Sep 02, 2017 08:52:37 am
      Scouse Cafu he was once called, he'll see action in some point, will give Klopp the chance to make a decision on him once and for all, hope Flanno proves the naysayers wrong as truth be told Clyne needs some proper competition as I feel some of his performances last season were like he knew his startling XI place was safe irrespective of effort..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #902: Sep 02, 2017 09:25:03 am
      Scouse Cafu he was once called, he'll see action in some point, will give Klopp the chance to make a decision on him once and for all, hope Flanno proves the naysayers wrong as truth be told Clyne needs some proper competition as I feel some of his performances last season were like he knew his startling XI place was safe irrespective of effort..

In terms of Clyne I don't think he looked complacent as much as limited last season mate.

Reminded me a bit of Gary Stevens that used to play for the bitters.

Strong, very quick but ultimately a very limited and mechanical footballer.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #903: Sep 02, 2017 09:28:23 am

If Clyne was complacent, he can't be no more because of Gomez, Trent and Flanagan as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #904: Jun 08, 2018 05:01:31 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #905: Jun 08, 2018 05:11:15 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #906: Jun 08, 2018 05:32:14 pm
      Not sure why anyone would call John Flanagan a "sucka". Such a shame there was a time when he looked like he would be a regular in the team but he has just gone backwards since his injury. I hope he finds a club and enjoys his football.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #907: Jun 08, 2018 05:42:42 pm
      How much of his departure is due to form vs. his domestic abuse issue?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #908: Jun 08, 2018 05:44:25 pm
      Not sure why anyone would call John Flanagan a "sucka".

Probably because he beat up on his bird.
      Kopite78
      Reply #909: Jun 08, 2018 06:36:18 pm
      How much of his departure is due to form vs. his domestic abuse issue?

Well he was nowhere near the side regardless of the police charge so even though I'm sure that didn't help I doubt he's here regardless
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #910: Jun 08, 2018 06:42:42 pm
      Well he was nowhere near the side regardless of the police charge so even though I'm sure that didn't help I doubt he's here regardless

Even though he was barely around the first team anymore i thought being a local kid he'd be one of those players we'd keep around and that the domestic issue is what made them want to cut ties with him.
      Kopite78
      Reply #911: Jun 08, 2018 06:47:56 pm
      Even though he was barely around the first team anymore i thought being a local kid he'd be one of those players we'd keep around and that the domestic issue is what made them want to cut ties with him.

Local lad or not he wasn't good enough ultimately
      We have 3 right back options as we stand, the club wouldn't keep him on just for being local. It's not a charity
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #912: Jun 08, 2018 07:19:22 pm
      Thanks Flanno.

Wish you all success wherever you end up.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #913: Jun 08, 2018 08:35:55 pm
      Irrespective of the assault case, he never looked like he would get over that injury and his career certainly with us totally came off the rails then.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #914: Jun 08, 2018 08:49:44 pm
      Not sure why anyone would call John Flanagan a "sucka". Such a shame there was a time when he looked like he would be a regular in the team but he has just gone backwards since his injury. I hope he finds a club and enjoys his football.

He hit a women so in my opinion he's a weasel never mind an average footballer.

He won't be missed my anyone.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #915: Jun 08, 2018 09:25:57 pm

Why keep around a player that’s nowhere near being even good enough for the bench, not to mention he’s been away from the club on loan. Keeping him for the sake of being a local lad is pointless. He doesn’t get any benefit from it and neither do we except paying a wage for the sake of it.

Club should have got rid when he lamped his lass.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #916: Jun 09, 2018 12:22:23 am
      It's disappointing to see him end his Liverpool career and it seemed inevitable given recent actions but even without that, as JD points out, he'd have been unlikely to stay given the manner in which that injury stunted his progression. It's a shame really - stormed on to the scene memorably under Kenny's tutelage, slipped down the order for a year or so and then came storming back, cementing himself in our league challenge in 13-14. It said a lot about his hard work and desire. I'll fondly remember his goal in that 5-0 victory away at Tottenham - a match fondly remembered by many of us I'm sure.

I hope he learns from his recent abusive behaviour and on those conditions I wish him all the best.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #917: Jun 09, 2018 12:37:12 am
      We all loved him going into crunching tackles (most were mis-timed tackles) and then winced at the ease at which opposition defenders would get past him.

In reality he reminded all football fans that there is always a chance!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #918: Jun 09, 2018 09:23:38 am
      Flanno had Lots of passion & heart and he really did get stuck in but after his injury He went down in the pecking order  and I always thought he would be out the door sooner rather than later, I guess the carry on with his girlfriend & the subsequent court case probably sealed his fate.
      Best of luck flanno.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #919: Jun 09, 2018 09:39:12 am
      I don't think his assault case had anything to do with this he could well have been sacked at the time.
      He was doing really well and improving but his injury really finished him as well as rather poor loan spells.
      Not sure who will take him now in the Premiership more likely Championship level at best

Quick Reply