Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Benitez's Real Legacy

Read 17498 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Benitez's Real Legacy
      Feb 16, 2011 02:49:05 pm
       Liverpool FC now reaping rewards of Benitez's real legacy

by Richard Buxton. Published Tue 15 Feb 2011 18:25, Last updated: 2011-02-15

It is already being talked about as the latest turning point in Liverpool's history.

For Kenny Dalglish and Frank McParland, witnessing the under-18's emphatic 9-0 win over Southend was an encouraging sign that their labour of love was beginning to bear fruit.

But the man truly responsible for this renaissance was not in attendance at Anfield.

From the comfort of his Wirral home, Rafael Benitez will no doubt have kept tabs on last night's events, possibly sporting his signature grin, after laying the foundations for what is already shaping up to be an incredibly bright young future for the club.

His predecessor, Gérard Houllier, had often overlooked the Academy since its 1998 opening on account of his belief, on the back of their World Cup triumph that summer, that France would lead the way in European football.

But most of the 'French gems' he touted as the next generation's answer to Michel Platini and Zinedine Zidane are now languishing back in Ligue 1 and of the £40million needlessly wasted on these 'talents', only two have remained in the Premier League.

The cost of Houllier's native obsession was far greater than the needless price tags he paid for the likes of El-Hadji Diouf and Bernard Diomede, as the Academy production line which had produced Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen dried up.

Liverpool's ability to build successful teams had long been established on a strong local nucleus, but the current Aston Villa manager's attempt to use Clairefontaine's alumni as a substitute for Kirkby's developing pupils delivered incredibly underwhelming results.

However, during a difficult final season as Reds manager, Benitez not only repaired the fractured relationship between Anfield and Kirkby, but strengthened it beyond expectation.

Although he had made a lot of the same mistakes as Houllier, unlike his predecessor, he learned from the error of his ways and after years of fighting battles in the boardroom, he was finally allowed to restructure the system following Rick Parry's departure.

Dalglish's return was long overdue, after almost two decades of being constantly overlooked by the club, and his presence as the key figurehead of operations was an encouraging signal of intent as was McParland's re-appointment following his Bolton sabbatical.

But it was the capture of José Segura and Rodolfo Borrell, both key figures in overseeing the development of Cesc Fabregas and Lionel Messi during their time at Barcelona's La Masia academy, which proved to be the masterstroke that kick-started Kirkby's revolution.

All but two of the 14 players who featured last night rose through the ranks during Benitez's tenure including man-of-the-match Raheem Sterling who, having turned down Manchester United and Arsenal to join the Reds, hit five of those nine goals with steadfast confidence.

It was also Benitez, beginning his short-lived spell at Inter Milan, that convinced Spanish wonder kid Suso last summer to snub Real Madrid's overtures to join Liverpool.

Even as the goals continued to flow, Borrell's meticulousness as he oversaw proceedings from the touchline was incredibly Benitez-esque, as is his continued pursuit of perfection from a side that has netted 52 goals in 17 games this season.

But eight months on from his acrimonious departure, Liverpool are now starting to reap the rewards of the true Benitez legacy.
      LFCexiled
      Re: Benitez's Real Legacy
      Reply #1: Feb 16, 2011 02:56:27 pm
       :clap: :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap:

Building a legacy, tenure cut short before the rewards could be reaped.

I'm not going to say much more just in case this goes the way of the majority of Rafa threads.

Cheers Racer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Feb 16, 2011 02:59:13 pm
      The man is a flawed genius in my eyes.
      Whatever his mistakes we should not ignore the sweeping changes he brought when given the chance with the youth system.
      That is his true legacy to this club.
      F**k what the haters say
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Feb 16, 2011 02:59:51 pm
      Yes well said. and thank you Rafa. YNWA.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #4: Feb 16, 2011 03:01:59 pm
      Rafa has re built us like shankly did.

Great article racer.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Feb 16, 2011 03:02:51 pm
      Some of us have known this since he signed his new contract however it's always good for his efforts to be recognised.

Well done Rafa for having the foresight to fight for the Academy, to bring in the best in the business to run the show and most importantly for bringing the King back into the fold.

I salute you  ;)
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #6: Feb 16, 2011 03:06:13 pm
      Sometimes, people don't realise what they had until it's gone.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #7: Feb 16, 2011 03:12:07 pm
      30 years from now, I believe we will look back on Rafa's legacy and there will be two major points next to his name.

-Rodolfo

-Istanbul

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #8: Feb 16, 2011 03:22:21 pm
      And yet still some supporters delight in sniping at him.If people just think prior to 2005 our great European nights had been 20 years ago and some supporters had never witnessed what would take place over the next few years.Happy happy memories of Rafa's time here.Even more so now his plans for the Academy are starting to show.
      Only Kenny could have ever taken over from him and thank God Rafa brought him back into the fold.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 16, 2011 03:25:36 pm
      perhaps we can bring rafa back in some capacity we know he loves the reds. as a full time scout. have seen sterling he has skills beyond his years.   
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #10: Feb 16, 2011 03:29:42 pm
      I think I can safely put money on who will be absent from this thread ;)
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #11: Feb 16, 2011 03:31:46 pm
      There's no debate, Rafael Benitez is one unsung hero. But Rafa aside, the mouthwatering prospects of seeing this lot playing for the first time ripping teams apart is more than any money he could've misspent on duds.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,186 posts | 528 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #12: Feb 16, 2011 03:37:58 pm
      I've said it already a few times that even though I started supporting Liverpool when Houllier was in charge it's the rafalution that marked me as a supporter, so Rafa is kinda the Shanks of my time.

Rafa deserves all the credit he is given and more, but some people are just to stubborn to admit it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #13: Feb 16, 2011 03:38:16 pm
      Excellent article racer and it's a + for yourself, the man's credibility was never in doubt and that piece reinforces what the majority know - he should never have been forced out of the club he was committed to and should be back in whatever capacity is fitting.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Feb 16, 2011 03:40:22 pm
      Excellent article racer and it's a + for yourself, the man's credibility was never in doubt and that piece reinforces what the majority know - he should never have been forced out of the club he was committed to and should be back in whatever capacity is fitting.

I love the Suso bit. On the way out the door and still looking after our future prospects
      LFCexiled
      Reply #15: Feb 16, 2011 03:41:46 pm
      perhaps we can bring rafa back in some capacity we know he loves the reds. as a full time scout. have seen sterling he has skills beyond his years.   

I agree with bringing him back in some capacity but I'm not sure being a scout would be enough. The mans need to be involved in football goes way beyond scouting. I don't think there's a position that would keep him happy apart from Manager and I can't see that happening.

Thanks again Rafa.
      lemmiwinks
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #16: Feb 16, 2011 03:55:08 pm
      I agree with bringing him back in some capacity but I'm not sure being a scout would be enough. The mans need to be involved in football goes way beyond scouting. I don't think there's a position that would keep him happy apart from Manager and I can't see that happening.

Thanks again Rafa.

To bring Rafa in in any capacity would likely be viewed as an attempt to undermine the current manager.
      I agree that I don't think he'd be content with any position at the club other than Manager.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Feb 16, 2011 04:03:29 pm
      This man does not get the credit he deserves.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #18: Feb 16, 2011 04:09:04 pm
      I think Rafa could make a brilliant coach, but would he accept that role? Assistant manager to Kenny maybe, but even as a big Rafa supporter, I know he he has a big ego so he might not like that role as he is not the key man.

We know Kenny is a brilliant manager, but not a brilliant coach, hence why Steve Clarke was brought in.
      We know Rafa is a brilliant technical + tactical coach, but not the best man-manager. If the 3 could work together, we would strike gold. Where Damien Comolli would come in there is another big decision.

Rafa did leave a good youth team in fairness to him. Bringing in them coaches was a master stroke.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #19: Feb 16, 2011 04:12:34 pm
      To bring Rafa in in any capacity would likely be viewed as an attempt to undermine the current manager.
      I agree that I don't think he'd be content with any position at the club other than Manager.

Don't really agree mate, our owners understand the premise of doing things the liverpool way and I'm sure if Rafa made a return it would be with the full agreement of all concerned. Respect seems to have once again been restored in the Anfield Boardroom. I don't think Rafa brought Kenny back with any concern for his future, the old tossers and their lacky assured that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #20: Feb 16, 2011 04:19:04 pm

Thanks again Rafa.
      I said in a previous post about Rafa being employed in a fitting capacity if he could be coaxed back, the position would have to reflect the man's footballing acumen but at the same time not impacting on the manager's perceived authority.
      Considering his presence would only benefit LFC I believe the manager would be willing to accept the situation.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Feb 16, 2011 04:20:32 pm
      I said in a previous post about Rafa being employed in a fitting capacity if he could be coaxed back, the position would have to reflect the man's footballing acumen but at the same time not impacting on the manager's perceived authority.
      Considering his presence would only benefit LFC I believe the manager would be willing to accept the situation.

I'd love him back in some capacity, although I can't see where he would fit in and not impact of Comolli's influence
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #22: Feb 16, 2011 04:25:06 pm
      great article. fingers to rafa haters. the man was a true red, loved the club and the supporters. every sound foundation begins at grass roots level and he's demonstrated he can build something for the truly long term. 52 goals in 17 games? that's astonishing.

agreed with some that kenny was the only man who could take over tbh and I hope he stays for long term.

thanks rafa, ynwa sir.

Quick Reply