Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Top 4 will be stronger next season.

Read 15965 times
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Re: Top 4 will be stronger next season.
      Reply #115: Feb 22, 2011 02:31:14 pm
      Disagree entirely with the youth set up. I don't compare ours to the likes of Arsenals at all and racer Im not talking sh*te at all, we've been here for 15 years discussing the great players we have in our reserves and youth, the nezt zidane and figo's and whoever else, but its extremely rare at LFC that a kid comes through and can play at this standard.

Pacheco is a fine example. Alls i've heard is how fantastic he is, hes had some minutes in the first team where i admit its not much playing time, however he's had enough to show atleast a glimpse of this amazing player he's meant to be. He hasn't.

So personally id rather scrap the youth, bring in PROVEN premiership players, people like A.Young, N'Zogbia maybe, who do it every single week at this level and would make a difference to our squad. If the younger lads impress in training and can challenge for places Im all for it, but to rely on them now is a massive gamble. Im not confident in it at all anyway.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #116: Feb 22, 2011 02:41:08 pm
      Disagree entirely with the youth set up. I don't compare ours to the likes of Arsenals at all and racer Im not talking sh*te at all, we've been here for 15 years discussing the great players we have in our reserves and youth, the nezt zidane and figo's and whoever else, but its extremely rare at LFC that a kid comes through and can play at this standard.

Pacheco is a fine example. Alls I've heard is how fantastic he is, hes had some minutes in the first team where I admit its not much playing time, however he's had enough to show atleast a glimpse of this amazing player he's meant to be. He hasn't.

So personally id rather scrap the youth, bring in PROVEN premiership players, people like A.Young, N'Zogbia maybe, who do it every single week at this level and would make a difference to our squad. If the younger lads impress in training and can challenge for places Im all for it, but to rely on them now is a massive gamble. Im not confident in it at all anyway.

Derp.

I'm really disappointed in Pacheco, I mean he has had like 45 minutes of pitch time to prove himself and yet he hasn't managed to skin the entire opposition team and header it in on his hands and knees. Useless little sh*t is a waste of wages...

Pacheco has not played enough to write him off, you can't expect miracles if he is barely ever on the pitch. Jeez
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #117: Feb 22, 2011 02:48:54 pm

Pacheco is a fine example. Alls i've heard is how fantastic he is, hes had some minutes in the first team where i admit its not much playing time, however he's had enough to show atleast a glimpse of this amazing player he's meant to be. He hasn't.

Well we've been talking about the major changes for the last two years. We do have quality coming through the youth system, whether you acknowledge it or not is irrelevant. Kelly has been a fine example of it this season. Sterling, Suso, Coady, Silva, Robinson, Wisdom... I could go on. There are now the right men in charge at Youth and Reserve level to help give us a better production line of youth. This in turn will no doubt help us compete for the title, while bringing through our own players. It also means we can go for quality not quantity in the transfer windows for the first team
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2011 03:58:54 pm by racerx34 »
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #118: Feb 22, 2011 02:56:40 pm
      Derp.

I'm really disappointed in Pacheco, I mean he has had like 45 minutes of pitch time to prove himself and yet he hasn't managed to skin the entire opposition team and header it in on his hands and knees. Useless little sh*t is a waste of wages...

Pacheco has not played enough to write him off, you can't expect miracles if he is barely ever on the pitch. Jeez

Not writing him off at all, I just havent been amazed like all of you whenever i've seen him play.

Id personally bring in a certain villa player, a great premiership winger, an england international, somebody who were friggin crying out for, because I think he would benefit our side much more rather than sitting off waiting for somebody from the reserves to shine.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,178 posts | 265 
      Reply #119: Feb 22, 2011 02:58:21 pm
      This is a brilliant debate thread : Top 4 will be stronger next season.

But I'm afraid some argued above and few pages back especially regarding our scouting and youth system of the past years are not much benefit to this thread. We discuss about next season with Kenny Dalglish in-charge plus his quality staffs, and, our current owner also look not bad so we should start from this.

And can we avoid mention the name Rafa Benitez in this thread, I don't want to see some good thread get locked in next few pages :D
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #120: Feb 22, 2011 02:58:27 pm
      Well we've been talking about the major changes for the last two years. We do have quality coming through the youth system, whether you acknowledge it or not is irrelevant. Kelly has been a fine example of it this season. Sterling, Suso, Silva, Robinson, Wisdom... I could go on. There are now the right men in charge at Youth and Reserve level to help give us a better production line of youth. This in turn will no doubt help us compete for the title, while bringing through our own players. It also means we can go for quality not quantity in the transfer windows for the first team

Well we disagree again because you've mentioned kelly being a fine example and its doing my head in.

Kelly is not a fine example at all!

He is not in the same category as somebody like Kieran Gibbs for example.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #121: Feb 22, 2011 02:58:58 pm
      Not writing him off at all, I just havent been amazed like all of you whenever i've seen him play.

Id personally bring in a certain villa player, a great premiership winger, an england international, somebody who were friggin crying out for, because I think he would benefit our side much more rather than sitting off waiting for somebody from the reserves to shine.

I'd have no problem bringing in Young or Hazard if we offloaded Jovanovic and maybe Maxi. That way Dani can learn from the best at what they do

Kelly is a fine example of what a youth player should do. Works hard and took his chance by giving his all every game.
      Not as technically gifted as Johnson, but gives us plenty defensively and makes good runs at times.

Gibbs? Give me a break... Now we are talking about over rated players
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #122: Feb 22, 2011 03:06:05 pm
      End of conversation then Racer if you genuinly believe Kelly is a better footballer than Gibbs. What an asbolute joke.

Ok, Our youth is fantastic and our reserves are top notch. We won't invest in the summer because our squad is brilliant and we will run chelsea, city, arsenal, utd all the way next season and then win the league just like we've been saying for twenty years but next season is definately the one, definately. Then Martin Kelly will win england the euros. Cant F***ing wait!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #123: Feb 22, 2011 03:06:54 pm
      Agree with the Pacheco thing although he is still young i dont think we should turn him into something he,s not. I dont think hes going to be LFC,s savoiur and we,re waiting for him to turn into another Messi which he will not be IMO. He was signed as a Centre Forward, thats his position and that is where he should be judged. If he was going to be brillient in another position i think we would of seen flashes of this by now and for me, we have,nt. This does,nt meen we should write him off but i do think that he needs a loan move where he can get regular football and assess him from there. I think his development is being hampered by playing reserve team football and if hes going to make it he needs to be tested at a much higher level. Myself i have,nt seen anything,to date, to make me think hes the next big thing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #124: Feb 22, 2011 03:14:50 pm
      Ok, Our youth is fantastic and our reserves are top notch. We won't invest in the summer because our squad is brilliant and we will run chelsea, city, arsenal, utd all the way next season and then win the league just like we've been saying for twenty years but next season is definately the one, definately. Then Martin Kelly will win england the euros. Cant F***ing wait!

That response right there is a joke.
      Nobody is saying we don't need investment you petulant child.
      Having a dig at Liverpool fans over the fact that we haven't won the title in twenty years...  You sound somewhat Bitter there
      We all know we need investment.
      The only argument has been how much and where... and yes our youth is fantastic
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #125: Feb 22, 2011 03:18:35 pm
      This topic, whilst generating some interesting debate initially, is veering off topic, which is getting to be an annoying habit at the moment.

This topic should be a discussion of the potential strengths of the top clubs next season, not a specific debate about how good our reserves and youth are. Cheers.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #126: Feb 22, 2011 03:22:21 pm
      Thats how several of you sound to me. I just cringe of hearing 'the league is ours next season' its so annoying. I also cringe hearing reds over praise the team and its squad. Face facts and come down to reality and accept there are 5 teams in the league which are all better than ours.

Everybodys entitled to there opinions but personally I count 6 world class/stars in the side. Theres then 3-4 good players who can be part of the squad and play some sort of role through the season. Your kuyts, your joe coles, your skrtels, your lucas's etc.

That leaves 4-5 places to fill to make a decent squad. Thats the amount of players we need in my opinion. That will cost money.

The youth is jarg. How can you assess somebody by watching young lads playing football against young lads. Or f**king reserves playing reserves. Put them up against Vidic or Terry and they wouldn't get a sniff.

In the next 5 seasons Racer Im more than happy to bet you that less than 3 players make the step up and to be a success. I'll be suprised if theres even 1.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #127: Feb 22, 2011 03:25:54 pm
      This topic, whilst generating some interesting debate initially, is veering off topic, which is getting to be an annoying habit at the moment.

This topic should be a discussion of the potential strengths of the top clubs next season, not a specific debate about how good our reserves and youth are. Cheers.

Apologies.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #128: Feb 22, 2011 03:26:32 pm

Wasn't only you, just generally.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #129: Feb 22, 2011 03:29:35 pm
      Arsenal's great youth setup. F***ing hell not that arl chestnut. They don't have a great youth setup, they just nick kids from other clubs. Wilshire is the only player of their own to make a big impact on the first team in over a decade. Adams, Merson, Parlour, Rocastle they were all Arsenal's products. 25 to 30 years ago. Ashley Cole played in the last decade but he broke through late 90s early 2000s. Was a regular by the 2001 FA Cup final when we won.

Now the likes of Fabregas, Clichy, Van Persie, Ramsay, Bentdner, Eboue ect ect are just pinched off other clubs around the world. Same way Bruna an Pacheco and the likes have been by us.

However Robinson, Flannagan, Coady, Ince are all local talent.

By the way how are Arsenal's lads doing in the youth cup? Oh sh*t yeah, they got knocked out by Chelsea didn't they. Last five years we've reached the FA Youth Cup final three times, winning twice and losing one - ironically to Arsenal. Arsenal have made the final once. But of course it's their youth system we should be looking at isn't it?

Our squad will be strengthened over the next few years with top quality youth players, both locals such as Coady and Robinson, other British lads such as Sterling and Wisdom and then lads from abroad such as Pacheco and Suso. But we'll be told again that we should follow Arsenal's example of winning nothing with an entire side of pinched players or maybe City's example of winning nothing by just splashing money on over hyped sh*t.

Nah, we'll be much better on following our own example of winning everything by signing top quality and complimenting it with our own players coming up through the ranks. Coming up through the ranks is nothing new, years ago it was almost law at Anfield that you had to learn your trade in our reserves - Rush, Clemence, Grobbelaar, McDermott, Hansen to name but a few who all spent a few years in the reserves but finally establishing themselves as regulars in the first team. But, unlike Arsenal do now, we never tried to pass these players off as our own.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #130: Feb 22, 2011 03:32:48 pm
      Thats how several of you sound to me. I just cringe of hearing 'the league is ours next season' its so annoying. I also cringe hearing reds over praise the team and its squad. Face facts and come down to reality and accept there are 5 teams in the league which are all better than ours.

Everybodys entitled to there opinions but personally I count 6 world class/stars in the side. Theres then 3-4 good players who can be part of the squad and play some sort of role through the season. Your kuyts, your joe coles, your skrtels, your lucas's etc.

That leaves 4-5 places to fill to make a decent squad. Thats the amount of players we need in my opinion. That will cost money.

The youth is jarg. How can you assess somebody by watching young lads playing football against young lads. Or f**king reserves playing reserves. Put them up against Vidic or Terry and they wouldn't get a sniff.

In the next 5 seasons Racer Im more than happy to bet you that less than 3 players make the step up and to be a success. I'll be suprised if theres even 1.

I'd have that bet, but I'm going to swerve youth talk in here now on the basis of Ayrton's post.
      United's are top and I don't think their squad is six players ahead of ours.
      I suppose that's the whole point of the thread. We don't have to agree with each other.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #131: Feb 22, 2011 03:37:27 pm
      Finally, half of Kennys games in charge we've played very well and deserved everything we got. However, the other half we've played just as sh*te as we did under Roy in all honesty and only just about scraped points. So right now, unless we have investment like I've been banging on about, I can't see us finishing above any of the top 5 next season. We definately need 4-5 players
      What a load of sh*te, the only game we've 'scrapped points' in is perhaps the Fulham game, and that's what good teams do! F**k me the mancs haven't played well once this season apart from agianst a sh*te Blackburn side, we wouldn't have been able to grind the results out under Roy like we did agianst Fulham under Kenny.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #132: Feb 22, 2011 03:38:13 pm

Which is why Gibbs has played 13 times this year for Arsneal, a mere three times in the League, compared to Kelly who has played 21 times for us this year with half of them being the in the League. Yeah, lets run off about Gibbs another one of these vastly overrated kids of Arsenal who the media builds up and people like you swallow.

But a good, solid defender like Kelly goes under the radar. Same way Carragher did at the same age.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #133: Feb 22, 2011 03:38:28 pm
      United's back up players are even worse than ours IMO once Giggs and Scholes go they'll be in the sh*t.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #134: Feb 22, 2011 03:39:56 pm

How are you judging Arsenal's youth players then?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #135: Feb 22, 2011 03:42:06 pm
      Well we disagree again because you've mentioned kelly being a fine example and its doing my head in.

Kelly is not a fine example at all!

:lmao:
      Kelly is twice the player of Gibbs to me.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #136: Feb 22, 2011 03:48:53 pm
      Rafa won't have a thing to do with the chavs.

If next season is like this one, all any of the top 6 sides will have to do to qualify for the Champions League is have a steady season. Spurs are currently 4th and have had a far from strong campaign so far. Depending on who gets top 4 this season, any of those 6 could get it again next season.

But I'd still unfortunately see Man U and Man City as the 2 strongest sides. Even though Man U's squad is pretty average, they manage to challenge on all fronts every season.

If Kenny continues this season as strongly as he's started, there's no reason, with the right investment in the squad in the summer, why we can't get be in the top 4 all season and even challenge the top 2.

Chelsea, as far as I'm concerned are on the way out unless they spend majorly in the summer.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #137: Feb 22, 2011 04:05:33 pm
      It will be incredible difficult next season as usual. We may strengthen but so will the others.

There could be a team only 5 or 6 points off the title that finished outside of the Champions League places.

I would happily take 4th now!

I do cringe aswel when people talk about winning the league. Not saying its impossible but it would be a minor miracle imo.

Quick Reply