Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

When "Sport" isnt just a game.

Read 2228 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      When "Sport" isnt just a game.
      Jul 13, 2012 10:04:45 pm
      For those unfamiliar with the Penn State Football scandal, please read the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_sex_abuse_scandal]  [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_sex_abuse_scandal[/url]

Penn State was probably the most storied and honored college football programs in the US, more so than Notre Dame and Ohio State.  Their coach, Icon and symbol was Joe Paterno. A man of honor and dignity and who was loved by every player he ever coached and every coach who ever played against him. He was "Joe Pop". His statue graces the entrance to the stadium on the PSU campus. He was an Institution in and of himself.

Now he is to be forever known as a man who chose a game and who chose the legacy of his football program and himself over the sick, brutal abuse and sexual assault of numerous children inside the locker rooms and training grounds of that football program, by his assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

The recent investigation and report of the scandal is beyond shocking in its vanity and arrogance.  In order to avoid a scandal and to avoid hurting the PSU Football program, Joe Paterno did NOTHING to stop it. He even went so far as to refuse calling the police and lead the cover up. It was PSU's dirty secret and because of his arrogance and stupidity he allowed a pedophile to run rampant through the school and he ignored Sandusky's actions and allowed the man to continue having sex w/ children. The level of cover up and inaction is unbelievable.

Its is because of his love for Football and the "Football Factory" big business mentality of College Football, that Paterno failed to do his duty, not just as a member of the College staff and Head Coach but failed miserably and knowingly as a Human being.

I hope the NCAA comes down hard on PSU. I think first that the Football program should be given the death penalty for at least 3-5 years. Lose all their scholarships and sponsor deals. All involved should not just be fired but should also be brought up on charges and arrested.

I love sports but this goes beyond sport. This goes against basic human dignity and honor and respect. We need to finally take a stand and do the right thing. Paterno's legacy is forever GONE. Penn State needs to remove all traces of Paterno including his statue and his honors and awards for his coaching and community work. I had huge respect for the man. Now, I think he is an embarrassment to Sports and perfect symbol of everything wrong with our society that values media and celebrity and mundane accomplishments that in the grand scheme of life mean nothing.

Joe Paterno is dead and his legacy of being a great man, died the second he chose Football over the abuse of children.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Re: When "Sport" isnt just a game.
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2012 07:35:02 am
      What's even more disturbing (okay well maybe not)  Currently Peddo State has the 15th ranked incoming class as per Rivals.  Really?  WTF are these people not getting? 

I was a ballboy for Rutgers back in the late 80's.  At that time RU's head coach was Dick Anderson.  He had come to Rutgers from Penn State.  In 1989 Rutgers played Penn State at Giants Stadium (We played alot of our home games their until 95).  Traffic was murder on the Turnpike and we get off the team bus and myself and my fellow ballboys head straight to the first mens room we can find.  As we walk in Anderson is washing his hands getting set to leave the men's room.  As he is pulling the door open, in walks Sandusky.  Anderson looks and sees that we are all (7 of us) in there.  He stands up against the wall and waits for all of us to do what we have to do and waits until we all leave the men's room. 

Anderson was one of the meanest and scariest guys I've ever met.  He never showed any acknowledgement of me and my friends.  We all found it odd that he had all of a sudden turned chaperone.  I'm still in touch with all of my old friends that were ballboys with me back then.  When the Sandusky thing broke my one friend called and asked if I remembered that day.  "Well I guess we now know why Anderson waited for us all to leave the bathroom safely"
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2012 04:11:13 pm
      What's even more disturbing (okay well maybe not)  Currently Peddo State has the 15th ranked incoming class as per Rivals.  Really?  WTF are these people not getting? 

I was a ballboy for Rutgers back in the late 80's.  At that time RU's head coach was Dick Anderson.  He had come to Rutgers from Penn State.  In 1989 Rutgers played Penn State at Giants Stadium (We played alot of our home games their until 95).  Traffic was murder on the Turnpike and we get off the team bus and myself and my fellow ballboys head straight to the first mens room we can find.  As we walk in Anderson is washing his hands getting set to leave the men's room.  As he is pulling the door open, in walks Sandusky.  Anderson looks and sees that we are all (7 of us) in there.  He stands up against the wall and waits for all of us to do what we have to do and waits until we all leave the men's room. 

Anderson was one of the meanest and scariest guys I've ever met.  He never showed any acknowledgement of me and my friends.  We all found it odd that he had all of a sudden turned chaperone.  I'm still in touch with all of my old friends that were ballboys with me back then.  When the Sandusky thing broke my one friend called and asked if I remembered that day.  "Well I guess we now know why Anderson waited for us all to leave the bathroom safely"

^^^ Interesting.

PSU will obviously never be the same. I agree with everyhing you said Yank, though I don't think I'd give PSU the death penalty. (Sandusky should get the death penalty)  The coaches and players there now really had absolutley nothing to do with it.

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2012 07:51:50 pm
      ^^^ Interesting.

PSU will obviously never be the same. I agree with everyhing you said Yank, though I don't think I'd give PSU the death penalty. (Sandusky should get the death penalty)  The coaches and players there now really had absolutley nothing to do with it.

Well, I dont think they should get "The" Death Penalty and remove football forever. But one of the main points that the Louis Freeh Investigation and report made clear was the fact that because it was Joe Paterno and the Football program, that the school allowed Paterno to make the decision to NOT contact the police and NOT launch a thorough investigation, because of what it would do to the "Football Program".  Putting aside that the actual acts by Sandusky in having sex w/ children in the Penn State locker room, it was the overall culture at PSU and lets be fair in all the top BCS programs in the country, that Football, the money made in endorsements, TV deals and Bowl Game, is more important than stopping a f***in' Pedophile and protecting innocent children from this f***in' scumbag, predator who used his position and used the Penn State program to facilitate his actions.

As great and as storied that Paterno and Penn State Football is too the history of Football, we as a society need to finally stand up and say " Enough is Enough".  Football is a game and it's not more Important than the well being of Children and that starts w/ a very strong stand by the NCAA and the public that PSU should be forced to suspend its Football program for at minimum 2 years. Some of these programs like Notre Dame and USC, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Ohio State are allowed to just do what they want at these schools and we need to make it clear that these Colleges are "SCHOOLS". First and foremost. They are their to educate the men and women who are enrolled. This trend of allowing these "Football Factory" programs who never make their players go to class and get them tutors to do their homework and write papers for them and professors who pass these players regardless of the work they do is insulting and unfair to the kids who go for the education and degrees.

I feel bad for the students at PSU that they are now branded w/ this label and are now known as Pedo State University, but you reap what you sow. When the school gets away from its main credo of eduction, then you must be prepared to accept the consequences when it goes bad.

This is just another example of how we put athletes, celebrities, musicians etc,etc... on pedestals, turning a blind eye to what they do and giving them light punishment because they just happen to be celebrities and media icons. They should be forced to pay the price like anyone else.

I think if a program like Penn State is completely banned and suspended from continuing its football program and operations then it sets a very strong precedent and makes other programs shape up too avoid it happening to them. I think that this is finally going to force the NCAA to do their job and stop ignoring the violations that these big schools continue to accumulate over and over, year after year.

Quick Reply