Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Former Liverpool striker to flee Greece after attack

Read 5580 times
      LFCexiled
      Feb 22, 2011 10:19:43 am

Former Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse has vowed to quit Greek football after being attacked during a game at the weekend.

The Panathinaikos star was part of the team that lost 2-1 to Olympiacos on Saturday.

And after the game he was one of four players who were set upon by about a dozen fans who ran on to the pitch.

Cisse said: “I was their target. Some of them hit me and I retaliated to defend myself.

“It’s a disgrace. I’m not going to let things lie. This week, I will make a complaint to UEFA and I can tell you I won’t drop it.

“This summer I’m leaving, that’s for sure. It’s impossible for me here. Even though the Pana fans are fantastic, even though the club is great, I don’t want to play in this league any more.”

Cisse, who has scored 41 goals in 49 league games for Panathinaikos, also said that while the assault is the worst incident so far, it is not an isolated example of racism he has had to suffer.

He added: “This season the atmosphere in the stands has got worse.

“Twice already, I have been the victim of monkey chants, of racist insults. It was the same thing again on Saturday night.

“They managed to get inflatable bananas into the stadium that they were shaking around every time I touched the ball.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Former-Liverpool-striker-Djibril-Cisse-to-quit-Panathinaikos-and-Greek-football-after-pitch-attack-article703791.html#ixzz1EgJaZRS5

The assault against the Panathinaikos team (without sound)

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Re: Former Liverpool striker to flee Greece after attack
      Reply #1: Feb 22, 2011 10:23:20 am
      Horrible that. Some countries need to get a grip when it comes to things like this in the game. Hope he's OK and finds a better league to play in. He's done well to recover from serious injuries and still find goalscoring form at decent clubs.

YNWA Djibril.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Feb 22, 2011 10:33:00 am
      I remember that other video where he calmly walked off the pitch but there is only so much you can take. Disgusting behaviour and i hope UEFA do something about this, no place for racism in football or anywhere else for that matter.

Hope things work out for you Djibril.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Feb 22, 2011 10:34:30 am
      1.46 Mascherano's put on some weight sitting on Barcelona's bench.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #4: Feb 22, 2011 10:40:30 am
      I always liked Cisse....good luck Djibs wherever you end up.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Feb 22, 2011 11:37:13 am
      Scumbags.

Always had a great respect for Cisse. Did his best for us and showed great resolve to come back from two broken legs.
      Possibly our best impact sub of the last decade.

No man should have to put up with that abuse at a football game. What will be done about it. Probably F**k all. An utter joke
      Alba Red
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 22, 2011 11:41:11 am
      Loved Cisse when at Anfield . Dissapointed with his leg brakes and stupid injurys . I just wished his time at Liverpool wasn't cut short . Would anyone take him back as a back up centre foward I know his wife is british ( welsh ) can see him coming back to England . 
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #7: Feb 22, 2011 11:46:17 am
      He's had a great return of goals for them yet he's had racial abuse on various occasions.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #8: Feb 22, 2011 12:22:49 pm
      To be honest, would consider him back as a 3rd striker.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #9: Feb 22, 2011 12:27:18 pm
      FFS that is disgusting.  The greek FA and Uefa (and FIFA) really need to take a stand on this.  I don't blame him one bit.  Always liked the fella meself so hope things work out for him.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #10: Feb 22, 2011 12:29:55 pm
      YNWA Djbril hope things work out well for you, disgraceful treatment he's getting.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #11: Feb 22, 2011 12:31:45 pm
      poor lad, no one should ever have to put up with being racially abused. If he came as an impact sub, and not for a lot of money, I would take him, even if he is 29

Since leaving us, he has roughly got a goal every 2 games for Marseille, 1 in 3 at Sunderland and then has got 41 goals in 48 games for Panathinaikos. not bad really.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #12: Feb 22, 2011 01:54:09 pm
      What animals there is a difference between passion and being a thug.

Wish the minority who wreck it for others would grow up.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Feb 22, 2011 02:27:55 pm
      Never been Cisse's biggest fan but that's an absolute disgrace, hope he can get out of there and find a better place to play.

If there's one thing that really sickens me it's racism.

Just read an interview with Gilberton Silva in which he says it wasn't the first time it happened and the fact nobody gets punished because of racism in Greece, even though there's a lot of campaigns against it, is the reason why he is not renewing his contract that expires in the end of the season.

Their league is crap already, they're not helping it are they
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #14: Feb 22, 2011 03:46:51 pm
      Disgusting to see something like that. I am genuinely shocked seeing that footage, never realised it was so bad over there. How the hell are they allowed to get away with it? That was like watching something from the dark ages.

Best of luck to Cisse, hope he finds a decent country/league to play in. ASAP
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Feb 23, 2011 01:34:29 pm
      Disgusting. F***ing barbaric.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #16: Feb 23, 2011 03:44:46 pm
      To be honest, would consider him back as a 3rd striker.
      Same. Hes better than N'Gog all day long!
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #17: Feb 23, 2011 03:49:34 pm
      Horrible that, just no need for it.

Hope cisse comes back to the premiership, I always thought he was far better than what he managed to show here and I reckon he'd do a job for the majority of PL teams. He'd actually be a great signing for the blueshite.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #18: Feb 23, 2011 09:14:16 pm
      maybe the greeks should be thrown out of europe for a while .until they get their house in order.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #19: Feb 24, 2011 12:07:05 am
      Disgusting to see something like that. I am genuinely shocked seeing that footage, never realised it was so bad over there. How the hell are they allowed to get away with it? That was like watching something from the dark ages.

Best of luck to Cisse, hope he finds a decent country/league to play in. ASAP

Let's not close our eyes to what our fans are capable of. I saw a few racist and anti-semitic photos posted at another Reds site and I complained about them and suggested their removal, but my concern was laughed at. It was the reason I left there and came here to LFCREDS, which I find to be a more respectful place. The photos are still on the other forum.   :(

Re: Cisse, he deserves better. I hope the rest of his season proceeds without incident and that he finds a better home next season.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Feb 25, 2011 12:34:53 am
      There are terrible fans everywhere. Shame these places do less to control them.

Fair play to Cisse to get the F**k out of there. Black players have always had it rough.
      simeonjim18
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #21: Feb 27, 2011 03:25:29 am
      maybe the greeks should be thrown out of europe for a while .until they get their house in order.
      Not all Greeks my friend.
      Just Olympiakos Fans..
      The other teams's fans didn't do anything so they don't deserve such a..ban!
      Only Olympiacos fans.
      They are the SHAME of GREEK football.
      Neitsab
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 333 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 28, 2011 11:25:19 pm
      I was watching the goal scored by Govou (former player of Lyon) when I noticed this banner behind the goal, just below the "1966" banner.

In french :"DJIBRIL : souviens toi, une fois ta mère t'a dit quoi qu'il arrive n'abandonne jamais"
      In english : "DJIBRIL : remember, once your mother told you no matter what happens never give up"

at 0:27 on this link : http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?ID=51245&Ln=En

Quick Reply