Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Fernando Torres was worth £70m, says Rafael Benitez

Read 15556 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Fernando Torres was worth £70m, says Rafael Benitez
      Reply #69: Feb 09, 2011 02:26:37 am
      Just an opinion from you hardcore something a large amount for Liverpool fans disagree with me included but then it is a game of opinions

Yes mate, an opinion. I don't roll with the flow on here. I say it as I see it and we were playing terrible football under Rafa in his final season. The season we finished second was a classic example of how Rafa failed, had we been more adventurous from the off then we would have won that title.

You even stated yourself in the season that followed that you weren't happy with the 2 defensive midfielder strategy and that it was stifling our game. Are you saying that this style of football was forgiveable under Rafa?. Were we winning lots of games?. No we were not. Rafa had to change his outlook but in all honesty he couldn't. That was his downfall.

Look at the way we are playing at the moment mate, basically the same players that Rafa left to Roy. They are playing out of their skin for Kenny.

I look back at Rafa and I'm grateful for Istanbul and the FA Cup. I'm not grateful for the second place finish because it means nothing to Liverpool Football Club. I'm grateful to him for all the charity work and the way he still holds us dear in his heart. I'm glad he kept his home here and I'm glad he still cares about us.

I can distance myself from that too mate, I can think outside that box of sentiment and say that Rafa ran out of ideas. The minute he refused to adapt was the minute I started to lose my faith in him. I still have massive respect for him but my faith and belief waned. He was never going to win us the League and that is how any manager is judged. He just couldn't make changes that were so obviously needed.

So look at this way corbally?. I have a lot of respect for Rafael Benitez, I am very grateful for what he did for us and always will be. He took us as far as he could, he lost the plot in his last season, he didn't know how to break out of his rigid mindset. We were playing dire football and showing lesser opponents much more respect than they actually deserved. He had lost players faith, not all of them but some of them. He was never going to win us the League, a Champions League?, probably yes.

Kenny and Rafa are in different Leagues, Rafa's philosophy was well suited to Europe but not to the hard physical demands of the Premier League. Kenny will adapt his philosophy for whatever obstacle comes our way, whether that be domestically or in Europe. He's been there and done it as a player and manager and he'll do it again.
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 02:33:05 am by hardcoresoldier »

Quick Reply