Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Predictions?

Liverpool to kick off in style - a reds win!
      (87.9%)
      Stuck in a timewarp? - A draw
      (9.1%)
      Don't buy the Sunday papers! - A defeat
      (3%)

Aston Villa v Liverpool (Premiership) - Pre Match

Read 10369 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Aston Villa v Liverpool (Premiership) - Pre Match
      Aug 08, 2007 07:47:00 pm
      Here we go then... the minutes are ticking down to the start of the season.

Aston Villa v Liverpool
      Saturday 11th August 2007 @ 5:15pm
      Live on Setanta Sports (available for Satellite, Cable and Freeview subscribers - 9 sports channels for £9.99 a month)

With thanks to EddieC's thread

Recent matches against Villa:
      28-10-06 Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Kuyt,Crouch,Garcia)(Agabonhalor)
      29-04-06 Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Morientes, Gerrard 2) (Barry)
      05-11-05 Aston Villa 0 - 2 Liverpool WON (Gerrard,Xabi Alonso)
      15-05-05 Liverpool 2 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Cisse 2) (Barry)

So - are we finally FINALLY going to get the season off to a decent start?
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2007 07:45:23 pm by JD »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Aston Villa v Liverpool (Premiership) - Pre Match
      Reply #1: Aug 08, 2007 07:56:02 pm
      Sorry JD was it 0-0 at Villa park the last time we played in March so if may be another draw :'(
      PaintingTheTownRed
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #2: Aug 08, 2007 08:28:12 pm
      Do we know our best XI or what our formation should be? Despite all the friendlies, im not sure that we know what combination to go with in midfield or up front. Personally, i'd go for a 4-3-3 formation, riena in goal, a back four of finnan, carragher, agger, riise/arbeloa, then play alonso mascherano and gerrard in the middle, with babel, torres and pennant as the forward three.

who would you pick?
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2007 09:41:45 pm
      I think we will pinch it 1-0. Reason being I think Torres may make the difference something unexpected will get us the 3 points. I think Villa will shut up shop and go for the point but either SG will tank through at some point or Torres will come up with something unexpected. We need a good start and Villa park has always been good to us in the past, but it will be tight. Have to also say Gareth Barry is the danger man from any set peices so we have to be in total concentration mode if they have anything like that. We also need to watch for the pace of Young and Agabonhalor as they can be mighty dangerous.
      I watched the friendly against Inter and although Inter put out a sort of reserve side and were 2 3 weeks off full fitness. Villa impressed me, especailly G Barry. Its not gonna be easy but I feel we can get the 3 points.

Team

Reina
      Finnan       Agger       Carra       Risse

Alonso      Mascherano  Gerrard   Kewll

Kuyt      Torres

Mascherano to break up anything Young , Agabonhalor and Barry can through at us and Xabi because a long pass to Torres feet might bring about the unexpected.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2007 09:45:47 pm by pragmatic »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Aug 08, 2007 10:09:33 pm
      Do we know our best XI or what our formation should be?

Carragher - Carragher - Carragher - Carragher

Carragher - Carragher

Toss up between Reina and Carragher for keeper.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Aug 08, 2007 10:10:05 pm
      I think we can get all three points as long as we stay ALERT at the back.
      Pre season was good in general and it was what to be expected with trying different options out. But the only thing that really bothered me so much was how casual we have been at the back at times. Especially when we'd dominate possession and then be hit on the break.
      I think we all know a lot of teams are just going to play the sit back and let us see what we can do, then try hit us on the break tactic, this season - hopefully that can be eradicated by some more sharpness up front!
      And I presume that's what Villa might do on Saturday. So if we stay alert, sharp and focused at the back, I can only see a Liverpool win by one or hopefully two goals.
      Also, i hope we don't do too much "trying to walk it into the net". Bit of instinct up front and we'll win by three goals!
      ONTHEWING
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #6: Aug 08, 2007 10:17:36 pm
      I think the boys will be fully focused and do Rafa proud.  I've got a great feeling about this season!!

2-0 to the mighty Reds :-)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Aug 08, 2007 11:03:15 pm

Carragher - Carragher

Carragher in goal of course.......We all dream of a team of Carraghers!!
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2007 07:26:12 am by mrtommo »
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 09, 2007 05:12:56 pm
      i just cant see us losing here.First games are normally tight and edgy,i am going for a 1-0 win.Dirk with the goal.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #9: Aug 09, 2007 05:25:02 pm
      Spirits are high in the camp, so I think we'll get off to a flyer!
      2-0 win for the reds! ;D
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Aug 09, 2007 05:26:36 pm

Carragher - Carragher

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Never a greater answer, have to admit it made me laugh more as I just watched that spam sketch from Monty Pythons Flying Circus.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #11: Aug 09, 2007 09:44:07 pm
      Not meaning to put a downer on the new season! I'm going for a 1-1 draw, a tough game to start and Martin O'Neil seems to do well against us. I'll settle for a point but I do think when the first 10 games have gone we will have over 20 points! Just think this is difficult one to start, but if we can pinch it what a start it could be!! ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Aug 09, 2007 10:13:06 pm
      Not meaning to put a downer on the new season! I'm going for a 1-1 draw, a tough game to start and Martin O'Neil seems to do well against us. I'll settle for a point but I do think when the first 10 games have gone we will have over 20 points! Just think this is difficult one to start, but if we can pinch it what a start it could be!! ;)

Not at all a downer Crazy Horse. That makes sense to me. I think it will be a very tight game and it will be hard to break them down. I think we'll have a better say in the possesion but I'm weary of them slipping one in if we're not too alert at the back ( :o)
      If we keep focused in defense then I'm optimistic we can get a vital goal to take all three points.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #13: Aug 09, 2007 10:16:35 pm
      I think we'll have a better say in the possesion but I'm weary of them slipping one in if we're not too alert at the back ( :o)

Are we talking about the Lisbon again RedKenny?! After 3! YMCA :o
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Aug 09, 2007 10:21:28 pm
      Are we talking about the Lisbon again RedKenny?! After 3! YMCA :o

:D :D :D

Three points in the bag on Saturday mate and I'll buy you a babysham!
      Cy
      Reply #15: Aug 09, 2007 11:43:18 pm
      Here we go then... the minutes are ticking down to the start of the season.

Aston Villa v Liverpool
      Saturday 11th August 2007 @ 5:15pm
      Live on Setanta Sports (available for satellite cable and freeview subscribers)

Just a little point on the setanta....also via broaband for £7.99/month 3 sports channels plus a very nice archives section wich gives you the chance to see games again if missed live. I choose it and so far very happy..no contract..

Back to the topic, a clear win with Torres and Stevie on the score sheet for me...COME ON YOU REDS!!
      multilockscan
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 10, 2007 12:12:48 am
      i dont know , i fear rafa might name a team we won't all agree on  ???  my starting team would be (pragmatic's earlier message). make changes early if its not happening ! not really impressed with pre season but that all stops on saturday. here's to a good start
      kop16
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #17: Aug 10, 2007 03:45:42 am
      I think, past match, we should be win over Villa
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #18: Aug 10, 2007 05:25:52 am
      Agree with CrazyHorse....1-1 draw. Beleive Rafa should start off the game with the a side that pretty much represented us so well at times last season.... and then add Babel as the game progresses.
      GK:Reina
      RB:Finn
      LB:Risse
      CB:Carra
      CB:Agger
      RW:Jermaine
      CM:Stevie-G
      CM:Alonso
      LW:Harry
      CF:Kuyt
      CF:Torres

Kuyt to get us a goal in the 2nd half to get us a point in a fairly entertaining but unconvincing start to the season. I think Villa are strong but over the season our new boys will add the flair and will make the difference for a quality crusade to number 19.......as the old saying goes "don't put all your eggs in one basket"....

In Rafa we trust
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #19: Aug 10, 2007 06:53:57 am
      I think a 3-0 win the boys are up to it spirits are high in the camp and Gerrard is going to smack the sh*t outta someone who doesn't play well as he has been screaming that we need a flyer start to the season. i think Torres will score a brace and benayoun to setup set up Babbel's first goal after both coming on as a sub.

My team

GK:Reina
      RB:Finnan
      CB:Carra
      CB:Agger
      LB:Riise
      RM:Pennant
      CM:Gerrard
      CM:Alonso
      LM:Kewell
      RF:Kuyt
      LF:Torres
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Aug 10, 2007 09:11:03 am
      My line up for the team would look like this:

Reina

Finnan     Carra   Agger    Riise

Gerrard  Alonso   Masch  Kewell

Torres  Kuyt

People will probably question why I'd go for Gerrard on the right, the reason is Finnan could probably do with a bit of help against the attacking threat from Gareth Barry & Ashley Young, who O'Neill will probably play on the left. I'd be half tempted to play Hyypia to combat the aerial threat from Carew, but Villa have quite a few pacy attacking players like Young & Agbonlahor that he'd probably struggle to keep up with so I've left him out. Mascherano will be in place to neutralize Petrov, and with Torres dropping deep Reo Coker will have to pull back to pick him up, giving Alonso the space he needs to execute his excellent range of passing. It looks like Villa are going to go with Craig Gardner at right back, a 20 year old midfielder who will be playing out of position, the experience of Kewell should be ideal to exploit his lack of experience in the role. I'm going to go for 1-0 to us, with Kuyt to benefit from the space left by the defence trying to pick up Torres & scoring the winner.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 10, 2007 10:22:29 am
      Its impossible to predict what Rafa is going to do with the team.However i believe Eddies team to be somewhere close to it,although i can see Babel playing instead of Kewell.Its gonna be a tight game for sure,it will be tense and nervy to start.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Aug 10, 2007 10:30:55 am
      Its impossible to predict what Rafa is going to do with the team.However I believe Eddies team to be somewhere close to it,although I can see Babel playing instead of Kewell.Its gonna be a tight game for sure,it will be tense and nervy to start.

Only reason I'd go for Kewell for this one is the fact they have an inexperienced right back playing & I feel he'd be the best to exploit that. If it wasn't for that I would've gone for Babel too.

Quick Reply