Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Rafa: Blame, Lies And Broken Promises At Liverpool

Read 15378 times
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Re: Rafa: Blame, Lies And Broken Promises At Liverpool
      Reply #138: Mar 07, 2011 02:34:33 pm
      What I do object to is what you have seen on this page, namely posters rounding on anyone who doesn't agree with them, and also the ridiculopus spectacle of Rafa being compared to Bob Paisley. Rafa did a decent job, but I'm sorry that the idea that he wasn't some kind of kind of God riles people up, it just happens to be my opinion. 

I only compared them in terms that they had won the European cup - and any manager who has done so, should not be slated
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #139: Mar 07, 2011 02:44:11 pm
      Before H+G came he won the CL in his first season along with getting us to the League Cup Final in his second he won the FA Cup and Super Cup in his third he got us to another CL final and did we win the Charity shield as well that season?.
      That dose not equate to a "decent job" it was a f***in brilliant job and anyone who thinks it isnt is without doubt deluded.So carry on with your barb comments and we will enjoy making sure they dont go unchallenged.Rafa brought the club back from being a ghost of our former selves to the top of European football where we belong. A decent job my arse and now Kenny will do the same.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #140: Mar 07, 2011 03:25:16 pm
      Before H+G came he won the CL in his first season along with getting us to the League Cup Final in his second he won the FA Cup and Super Cup in his third he got us to another CL final and did we win the Charity shield as well that season?.
      That dose not equate to a "decent job" it was a f***in brilliant job and anyone who thinks it isnt is without doubt deluded.So carry on with your barb comments and we will enjoy making sure they dont go unchallenged.Rafa brought the club back from being a ghost of our former selves to the top of European football where we belong. A decent job my arse and now Kenny will do the same.

Before H & G came he won the Champions league. The following season he won the FA Cup. For the next four seasons he didn't win anything, when he left we were 7th in the league. I think after the arrival of the new owners his job became more difficult, but overall I think he still managed to do a decent job. I don't count charity shields as major trophies, nor do I count "super cups". We compete for four trophies each season so long as we qualify for europe, that's the way it's always been and it always will be.

Kenny will do more than a decent job I think. Rafa took over a team which was fourth in the league and had won trophies, Kenny has taken over a bunch of players who were 7th in the league and the vast majority of whom don't know what it's like to win a trophy, but i still think he'll win more than 2 trophies in the next six seasons if he stays. That's the difference between a decent manager and a legend.

If you disagree with me you aren't "deluded", you just have a different opinion. You are entitled to it obviously, although naturally I think it is wrong.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #141: Mar 07, 2011 03:32:41 pm
      So when Shankly didnt win the league or the cup for 6 years what was he just decent?.So winning 2 trophies in 6 years just qualifies as decent.You heard it hear from Bigmick Shankly was but a decent manager.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #142: Mar 07, 2011 03:37:44 pm

Suarez and Carroll WERE aquired with the money we got for Torres, Torres WAS bought by Rafa, but it doesn't necessarily follow that Rafa should get credit for the fact that Suarez in particular is looking like he might be quite good. If Kenny had bought two sh!t players to replace Torres, it would have been silly to put the blame at Rafas door.

Any criticism on my behalf of Benitez is far from "incessant". 99% of the time I don't even bother discussing him when people are throwing their todgers over their thumbs over his latest press release.

And how saying that Rafa is a decent manager who did a decent job is slagging him off I'll never know. I don't put the blame for our relatively weak squad solely at his door (I think the ownership issue had a massive impact on that), and I think by and large he bought fairly well. How pray tell is that slagging him off?

I am in no way saying that Rafa should be credited for the prospects of Suarez or Carroll, what I am alluding to is the club is still benefiting from his tenure and it does seem ironic that anyone should criticise him without reservation. Your criticism of him comes to the fore everytime his name is mentioned so the word incessant is appropriate. You mention the weakened squad and if I could suggest that the reason for this was the H&G issue, they asset stripped and went to war with Benitez eventually to oust him and enable them to install a Noddy puppet.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #143: Mar 07, 2011 03:48:16 pm
      So when Shankly didnt win the league or the cup for 6 years what was he just decent? .So winning 2 trophies in 6 years just qualifies as decent.You heard it hear from Bigmick Shankly was but a decent manager.

I'm not sure the comparison holds good to be honest. We were in the old second division when Shankly took over as you know. I think Houllier was decent too, and he won more trophies than Rafa. Perhaps I'm a bit older (I don't know this but it might explain it) and I grew up with us winning everything. Two trophies in six seasons back then would have been a disaster never mind decent.   
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #144: Mar 07, 2011 03:50:35 pm

I don't see why my giving my opinion on Rafa should antagonise anyone. Its my honest opinion, I am not trying to wind anyone up.

You may not be deliberately trying to antagonise people st@in, but when you continually spout bollocks about a former manager the general consensus is that you will, all managers make mistakes Rafa was no different, the fact is he was railroaded by H&G, Purslime etc and a regime totally against making the team successful, hence, the lack of funding, especially after we finished 2nd.

He (Rafa) got hounded out because he stood up for what he and we fans believed in, the only thing H&G believed in was how much could they screw out of the club, that was their agenda, money not success was their passion, and they made sure any profit from any sale went their way not Rafa's.

As for Alonso, he wanted to leave, he ws 29yrs old, Real Madrid one of the biggest clubs in world football wanted him, Barry was not targeted as a Alonso replacement, Rafa wanted both in midfield, with Barry playing leftside, Gerrard rightside and Masch and Alonso in between, Rafa got good money for Alonso £30m, but he got virtually F**k all of it to spend.

As much as i loved Rafa he did annoy me at times but don't all managers piss you off at times, its part of the game, Hodgson was a major disaster from start to finish and proves that the ambitions of the then custodians were hardly inspiring, every week Roy pissed me off, Rafa's interview speaks a thousand words you or i will never ever find out about, what he said to players or what he didn't say, Benyaoun was not a regular starter thats what pissed him off, Rafa didn't think he was worthy of a regular 1st team start, but benny did, tough sh*t Benny, Benny who ? yeah right another who thinks he went to a better club.

Personaly, i think Rafa could end up at Ewood, Blackburn have money to spend and owners willing to spend it, the Boy Kean in charge at the mo, will be moved in the summer and who else better suits that post, you heard it here first guys....i wonder what the bookies will offer ??
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #145: Mar 07, 2011 03:51:28 pm
      I am in no way saying that Rafa should be credited for the prospects of Suarez or Carroll, what I am alluding to is the club is still benefiting from his tenure and it does seem ironic that anyone should criticise him without reservation. Your criticism of him comes to the fore everytime his name is mentioned so the word incessant is appropriate. You mention the weakened squad and if I could suggest that the reason for this was the H&G issue, they asset stripped and went to war with Benitez eventually to oust him and enable them to install a Noddy puppet.

Of course the club still benefits from his tenure, both in a positive and negative sense. This is bound to be the case as he signed most of the players at the club.Therefore the fact we had to sell Riera at a loss, or that we made a big profit on Torres, or that we are still paying Deggen and Jovanovic and Aquilani, or that we have Reina who we will make a big profit on is all down to Rafa. The good bits and the bad bits are all down to the previous manager, nobody could dispute that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #146: Mar 07, 2011 03:55:11 pm
      You may not be deliberately trying to antagonise people st@in, but when you continually spout bollocks about a former manager the general consensus is that you will, all managers make mistakes Rafa was no different, the fact is he was railroaded by H&G, Purslime etc and a regime totally against making the team successful, hence, the lack of funding, especially after we finished 2nd.

He (Rafa) got hounded out because he stood up for what he and we fans believed in, the only thing H&G believed in was how much could they screw out of the club, that was their agenda, money not success was their passion, and they made sure any profit from any sale went their way not Rafa's.

As for Alonso, he wanted to leave, he ws 29yrs old, Real Madrid one of the biggest clubs in world football wanted him, Barry was not targeted as a Alonso replacement, Rafa wanted both in midfield, with Barry playing leftside, Gerrard rightside and Masch and Alonso in between, Rafa got good money for Alonso £30m, but he got virtually f**k all of it to spend.

As much as I loved Rafa he did annoy me at times but don't all managers piss you off at times, its part of the game, Hodgson was a major disaster from start to finish and proves that the ambitions of the then custodians were hardly inspiring, every week Roy pissed me off, Rafa's interview speaks a thousand words you or I will never ever find out about, what he said to players or what he didn't say, Benyaoun was not a regular starter thats what pissed him off, Rafa didn't think he was worthy of a regular 1st team start, but benny did, tough sh*t Benny, Benny who ? yeah right another who thinks he went to a better club.

Personaly, I think Rafa could end up at Ewood, Blackburn have money to spend and owners willing to spend it, the Boy Kean in charge at the mo, will be moved in the summer and who else better suits that post, you heard it here first guys....I wonder what the bookies will offer ??

Not even going to bother reading your post as you can't be bothered to spell my name right. Course we could go straight to the abuse if thats what you want?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #147: Mar 07, 2011 04:00:00 pm
      Of course the club still benefits from his tenure, both in a positive and negative sense. This is bound to be the case as he signed most of the players at the club.Therefore the fact we had to sell Riera at a loss, or that we made a big profit on Torres, or that we are still paying Deggen and Jovanovic and Aquilani, or that we have Reina who we will make a big profit on is all down to Rafa. The good bits and the bad bits are all down to the previous manager, nobody could dispute that.
      The positives far outweight the negatives as far as Rafa is concerned, that is FACT, the negatives from Roy almost destroyed us, another FACT, and best of all the POSITIVES  oozing from the King is what we have all being striving for since we finished 2nd with Rafa, that i am positive about.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #148: Mar 07, 2011 04:00:11 pm
      May I suggest users begin to quote fellow usernames correctly.

Clever pun on words are in this case childish and not what is expected of adults or of members of this forum.

In any case - interesting article ruined by moaning.

Topic Locked.

Quick Reply