Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 1-0 Sparta Prague - Post-Match Relief

Read 38951 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Sparta Prague - Post-Match Relief
      Reply #483: Feb 25, 2011 09:05:10 am
      Stevie's reaction when Joe Cole missed the goal towards the end was also fascinating to watch. It was as if he wanted Cole to score and his reaction was just like any other ordinary Liverpool supporter.

Just goes on to prove that Stevie is a fan first and a player next. :)
      Is correct mate and the carry on out of him when Kuyt scored could have been anyone in the kop, after saying that tho Kenny is the same with waiving his arms about and turning round and applauding with the supporters.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #484: Feb 25, 2011 09:06:55 am
      Excellent result. I was keeping an eye on some of the performances and its correct to say that Poulson and N,gog never helped themselves to win over some of the fans. I,d pick Spearing over Poulson any day of the week now after that performance and for me Pacheco deserves a chance to prove what he can do over N,gog. There was one player i was keeping more of an eye on and that was Joe Cole and for me, even though hes not yet match fit, offers more than Maxi in that position. If we can keep Joe fit he will be a valueable asset to us for the rest of the season. Well done to Dirky boy and prooves to me he is a striker 1st and winger 2nd.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #485: Feb 25, 2011 09:18:00 am
      We are now going in the next round to what Hodgson referred to as ... some far away place.

Idiot.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #486: Feb 25, 2011 09:20:59 am
      I watched cole and he seems well off the pace, obviously he needs games, after running after a through ball, it was hands on hips huffing and puffing to recover, but I dont think he played too bad, he is quality and a good part of the squad.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #487: Feb 25, 2011 09:44:12 am
      Just not sure about Cole yes he is in need of games and looks tired after an hour but what will he bring?. How long ago is it since he was in the England side on a regular basis 3 or 4 years?. I havent seen a great deal of quality from him yet but if he was fully fit and back to his best we might be able to better judge him.
      Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #488: Feb 25, 2011 09:51:57 am
      If we challenge on all fronts id rather see someone of Cole's quality brought in than Poulsen ect, if we need to play one striker he can play support, or on the wing, i doubt he will command a first team place, but he does have a lot of attributes unlike a lot of our current squad.

If i see his name on the team sheet i dont think "Oh F**k" ;D
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #489: Feb 25, 2011 10:27:10 am
      Only saw the second half but was led to believe the first half was much ike the first leg. Pretty bloody awefull. Thought the second half was better that the first half sounded. Cole done alright, all things considered. Kelly good game again, get's better and better. Pepe didn't have a lot to do so we obviously defended well enough all round. Sotis done well to come back on, must have had at least 6 stiches in that wound.  Quite a wack to do that. Danny Wilson didn't do to much wrong, Worried about Agger. looked quite a serious knock on the calf. Lucs was sound once again and Kuytt never stopped running as usual. Looked a better out fit when he moved up front and we really started to pressure them. His goal was well taken as the flight of the ball was behind him. Ngog ? well as a Lucas critic, I have to admit he has turned things around some what and his preformances have improved greatly, especially when he plays further forward. I'm also a Ngog critic and I still can't find anything positive to say about the lad. I don't think this fella will make a prem footballer as long as he's got a hole in his arse. What in gods name is he playing for Liverpool for. I can only think Kenny's put him in the shop window hoping to get a decent fee for him come the summer. I feel embarassed for him watching his performances. We have better quality playing for the U 18s for christ sake, he doesn't bring anything to the team but frustration and disbelief. Apart from that little rant, I'm pleased with the result. Saddened by the new injury crisis.
      Nah it wasn't that bad we created a few really good chances but couldn't put them away.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #490: Feb 25, 2011 10:30:23 am
      These was a moment in the match when Cole turned to the stand i was sat in - Cent, and looked shattered.

Like he'd sprinted a marathon.
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #491: Feb 25, 2011 10:36:17 am
      He totally bottled putting his head in against the keeper aswell. Looked a half-chance.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #492: Feb 25, 2011 10:38:32 am
      Yeah that was his worst moment, however he looked ok throughout the game.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #493: Feb 25, 2011 10:45:57 am
      Reina and the defense did OK, Kelly was great first half, but Carra held back a little more with his runs, so that threat was cut off more - can't blame him, he doesn't have the pace or energy of Kelly, but he did bring a little more stability to the back.
      Sotis turned into a Spartan for the evening, agger was missed when he went off, wilson did OK, but had no help from cole.

Lucas again had to do the work of 2 in DM, because Poulsen was so sh*t - he needs to go asap, looked clueless when he had the ball, 100 yards off the pace, and generally looked like it was me playing. In other words, crap.

Thought Kuyt did well when combining on the right with Kelly, then started to drift around 2nd half, and swapping with cole.
      Meireles did OK, but nothing special by the standards he has set himself.

Cole was F***ing awful - kept giving the ball away, running down blind alleys, couldn't defend/. He might be short of match fitness, but that shouldn't affect his decision making. IMO he should be gone in the summer.

N'Gog I thought did OK leading the line, but his finishing was piss poor, and he could have had 2 goals had he not snatched at them - he's still fairly young, but he needs to improve a lot on this showing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #494: Feb 25, 2011 10:50:20 am
      These was a moment in the match when Cole turned to the stand i was sat in - Cent, and looked shattered.

Like he'd sprinted a marathon.

Just after kick-off!! ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #495: Feb 25, 2011 11:07:39 am
      Not the best but I've seen worse.  We're through which is all that matters.

Glad we're away for the 1st leg too, I don't like us playing at home first.

All I will say is if Kenny can keep getting results with so many players missing and having to include Ngog and Poulsen we'll be ok  ;D
      LFCexiled
      Reply #496: Feb 25, 2011 11:19:32 am
      Can anyone with a greater knowledge of UEFA's rules expand on this?

Dave Prentice: The curious case of Fernando Torres and Luis Suarez

FERNANDO TORRES, who has played for Liverpool in this seasonā€™s Europa League, was allowed to play for Chelsea in this seasonā€™s Champions League on Tuesday.

Luis Suarez, who has played for Ajax in this seasonā€™s Champions League, is not allowed to play for Liverpool in the Europa League.

Another clear as mud ruling from UEFA.

Confused?

Enquiries on a postcard please, to M Platini, Geneva.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/02/25/dave-prentice-the-curious-case-of-fernando-torres-and-luis-suarez-100252-28233064/#ixzz1Ey6iuVwK
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #497: Feb 25, 2011 11:22:41 am
      Because Ajax dropped down into the Europa he can't play for us.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #498: Feb 25, 2011 11:27:43 am
      Interesting that we are now "practicing" set pieces in training, bout bloody time if you ask me.

Dirk: We rehearsed that
      25th Feb 2011 - Latest News

Dirk Kuyt revealed how his late winner against Sparta Prague was the result of a well-rehearsed set-piece.

Liverpool's No.18 stooped low to head home Raul Meireles's pinpoint Kop end corner and set up a last 16 clash in the Europa League with Portugese outfit SC Braga.

"It's always special to score on European nights at Anfield and this was another important goal," said Kuyt.

"I thought we deserved to score earlier in the game because we created enough chances but you have to keep going and the team worked really hard. We were without Glen Johnson, Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard - four of our best players.

"We are trying to put some more attention to our set pieces and it worked quite well tonight.

"We have kept another clean sheet and it's good that we are not conceding from set pieces and we are now scoring from them."

The Dutch international is hoping Liverpool can end the campaign with a trip to Dublin in the Europa League, but warned there is still a lot of hard work to be done before anyone can start thinking about that.

He added: "We have to take things one step at a time and we now look forward to the next round.

"I think it is very positive because we are playing better and better and we can only keep progressing. That is what the team wants and what the manager wants and we have to keep it going."

Kuyt also reflected on the early start time as Anfield played host to a 6pm kick-off.

"It wasn't too bad as it was more or less the same preparation," he said.

"We just played the match a little bit earlier than normal. That didn't affect me, I don't know about the other players, but I still think the best time to play at night is 8pm."

Liverpool's win over the Czech champions stretched their unbeaten run to eight games and Kuyt is now hoping the Reds can get back to winning ways in the Barclays Premier League when they travel to West Ham United on Sunday.

"We have continued our unbeaten run and we want to keep moving forward," he added. "Another away win would be massive for us and we are looking forward to it.

"We enjoyed it the last time we were in London when we won at Chelsea which I thought was a terrific performance. Hopefully we can do the same at West Ham and keep a clean sheet and win the game."

Meanwhile, Kuyt paid tribute to Jamie Carragher, who last night became the British player with the most European appearances.

Our No.23 has featured 137 times in continental competition - one more than Ryan Giggs at Manchester United.

"It's unbelievable what Carra has achieved," Kuyt said. "He's a legend and he did very well here.

"The manager decided to give him a rest but we needed him to come on and I thought he was excellent."

And on talks over a new contract for himself, Kuyt added: "It is already looking positive and hopefully I will have some good news in one or two weeks."
      LFCexiled
      Reply #499: Feb 25, 2011 11:29:08 am
      Because Ajax dropped down into the Europa he can't play for us.

Surely being cup tied in a Uefa tournament should mean what it says or is it only acceptable if you move to a team that's in their 'elite' tournament? And what happens if Ajax drop out?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #500: Feb 25, 2011 11:30:23 am
      Surely being cup tied in a Uefa tournament should mean what it says or is it only acceptable if you move to a team that's in their 'elite' tournament? And what happens if Ajax drop out?
      He still can't play, I agree it's a stupid rule.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #501: Feb 25, 2011 11:30:39 am

Cole was F***ing awful - kept giving the ball away, running down blind alleys, couldn't defend/. He might be short of match fitness, but that shouldn't affect his decision making. IMO he should be gone in the summer.

N'Gog I thought did OK leading the line, but his finishing was piss poor, and he could have had 2 goals had he not snatched at them - he's still fairly young, but he needs to improve a lot on this showing.
      Good post and I would agree with vast majority of it, the exception is the extract above. I would say Cole had a much better game than N'Gog who did not lead the line or anything else, he could have had a lot more than two goals and every touch was disastrous bar one when he fu**ed up a simple toe poke.
      He's not fairly young just fairly F***ing aweful, how many of those chances would Suarez have nailed? He's had his probationary period and more but nothing changes - he still bottles out and his skill levels are F***ing woeful.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3952 
      Reply #502: Feb 25, 2011 11:32:56 am
      The fuckers make it up as they go along.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #503: Feb 25, 2011 11:37:51 am
      Good post and I would agree with vast majority of it, the exception is the extract above. I would say Cole had a much better game than N'Gog who did not lead the line or anything else, he could have had a lot more than two goals and every touch was disastrous bar one when he fu**ed up a simple toe poke.
      He's not fairly young just fairly F***ing aweful, how many of those chances would Suarez have nailed? He's had his probationary period and more but nothing changes - he still bottles out and his skill levels are F***ing woeful.

Fair points, but as an established international, I expect MUCH better decision making, and passing from Cole, not to mention a bit more bottle - the one thing that stuck in my mind was how he went over to meireles before he took a free kick on the edge of their box, and appeared to be telling him what to do. The look on Rauls face was priceless, like "WTF?"
      I just don't think he's a good footballer - sure he has a few tricks, but he lacks pretty much everything else, including a brain (just my opinion) in fact, in a lot of ways he reminds me of babel regarding the intelligence side of the game.
      It's no good having all the skill in the world, unless you know how and when to use it, and for me he has never shown that he does.

I thought N'Gog was a LOT better last night than the first leg - but let's face it, that wouldn't be hard.
      he held the ball up OK a few times, and brought meireles into play, but his finishing was worthy of my left foot.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #504: Feb 25, 2011 11:43:56 am
      Well given last nights performance by our 'strike force' we need Carroll in Europe and badly. Ngog had the chance over 2 games to step up and get his name on the team sheet automatically and proved he isn't up to it.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #505: Feb 25, 2011 11:45:41 am
      Can anyone with a greater knowledge of UEFA's rules expand on this?

Dave Prentice: The curious case of Fernando Torres and Luis Suarez

FERNANDO TORRES, who has played for Liverpool in this seasonā€™s Europa League, was allowed to play for Chelsea in this seasonā€™s Champions League on Tuesday.

Luis Suarez, who has played for Ajax in this seasonā€™s Champions League, is not allowed to play for Liverpool in the Europa League.

Another clear as mud ruling from UEFA.

Confused?

Enquiries on a postcard please, to M Platini, Geneva.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/02/25/dave-prentice-the-curious-case-of-fernando-torres-and-luis-suarez-100252-28233064/#ixzz1Ey6iuVwK

That's what I've been thinking.

I understand Ajax came from the Champions League. I'm not 100% sure what the rules says but I think it says something like a player has to have made an appearance for his team to be ineligible for another.

Technically, Luis Suarez has not made a Europa League appearance for Ajax.

Fair points, but as an established international, I expect MUCH better decision making, and passing from Cole, not to mention a bit more bottle - the one thing that stuck in my mind was how he went over to meireles before he took a free kick on the edge of their box, and appeared to be telling him what to do. The look on Rauls face was priceless, like "WTF?"
      I just don't think he's a good footballer - sure he has a few tricks, but he lacks pretty much everything else, including a brain (just my opinion) in fact, in a lot of ways he reminds me of babel regarding the intelligence side of the game.
      It's no good having all the skill in the world, unless you know how and when to use it, and for me he has never shown that he does.

I thought N'Gog was a LOT better last night than the first leg - but let's face it, that wouldn't be hard.
      he held the ball up OK a few times, and brought meireles into play, but his finishing was worthy of my left foot.

Fair points on Joe Cole but I still think he's a good asset. Probably one of the only few players to actually take on players. Alot of movements and is one tricky player. Honestly thought it was one of his best games so far. Actually think he's a good passer if played in the centre. I know it's only two but it was his passes which led to Babel scoring against Trabzonspor and to the penalty against Man United in September.

Disagree on N'gog, though. Was pretty much like the first leg. Lack hunger, offside too often and too lightweight. He is great when the ball is going to chest but as I said, I counted how many times he fluffed opportunities in the box and that was just amazing.

Quick Reply