Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Average players - Mistakes to avoid in the future.

Read 14080 times
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Re: Average players - Mistakes to avoid in the future.
      Reply #115: Mar 03, 2011 12:33:01 pm
      A good point made there....if your given the option of Spearing or Shelvey who are you gonna choose? Shelvey gets it every time...and he's younger. I don't think we should do anything too rash with Jay...but really his career is at make or break.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #116: Mar 03, 2011 12:58:44 pm
      A good point made there....if your given the option of Spearing or Shelvey who are you gonna choose? Shelvey gets it every time...and he's younger. I don't think we should do anything too rash with Jay...but really his career is at make or break.

This point has been made before in comparing Shelvey and Spearing - in Jay's player thread. My take on it now, is as it was then;

Is it really any wonder that Shelvey is a better prospect? Shelvey has been playing regular first team football for a couple of years now not languishing in the reserves playing one or two games every season. Jay has 3 League games in 2 years, Shelvey has over 40. Shelvey has been able to develop his game and become a prospect, Jay hasn't.

I said it about Kelly the other day, if we don't allow him to develop then his progress will be halted and he won't become the player he should. Jay has probably missed the boat because he wasn't given the game time at a young enough age to develop into what he should of.

And Shelvey could very well go down the same route if he's not given enough game time over the next year or two.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #117: Mar 03, 2011 01:01:43 pm
      Didn't he work for us under Houllier after Patrice Bergues left the club?

He was at Anfield for two years - Jacques Crevoisier.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #118: Mar 03, 2011 06:04:10 pm
      Interesting that you class Lucas as average then say Carrick would make a difference to our squad as I feel Carrick is one of the most over rated and average players in the league.

Id have Lucas every time over Carrick.

completely agree
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #119: Mar 03, 2011 06:12:40 pm
      Poulsen,Maxi,Jovanevic,Skrtel,Konchesky,Ngog should all be bombed out in the summer if we can find buyers. That might prove difficult. I think Soto has been given a bad deal from successive managers. Fair enough he's not the quickest but he's superior to the woeful Skrtel and offers a bigger threat aerially defensively and offensively than any other defender we have. I'd keep him on next season as a squad player. We definitely need to buy a top class central defender I.e Hummels or Subotic at Dorthmund. I also think andre wisdom has all the makings of an absolute beast of a defender for us but he's only 18 soon. He'll make the grade in my opinion. If I had my way ide sell Kuyt and Lucas too. Mediocre at best and we need better quaity in both positions
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2011 06:36:57 pm by Burdogcallingbat21 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #120: Mar 04, 2011 11:56:05 am
      I'd disagree with Sotis mate. He has looked good for us on more than one occasion this season and he is a full back who scores his share of headers etc too. As for Spearing, I can understand what your saying but I reckon he's getting a second wind under Kenny and he's still only young too. Maxi Ngog and Jova, I'd be inclined to agree with you on. They have been woeful! I used to stick up for Ngog and compare him with Sturridge...as they are the same age and up until Sturridge went out on loan, Ngog had a better scoring record...but now the difference is vastly obvious! There's times I've wondered if Ngog can actually kick a ball straight without tripping over himself!

I agree about spearing and soto, by no means the worst guys in the squad, I do think ngog will want to leave in the summer, think his game time will be limited. I think Maxi is class in a winning team, a bit like cole, but when the chips are down, they both don't seem to be able to turn it on. sad really cos both great players.

Dunno about big Jova, he was free, so if we sell him, it's been good business really.

But Ive said before we want to keep players, and add better ones. Our squad is too thin to win teh league, but add 4 or 5 proven players to it, and I think we have a chance.
      Carroll9
      • Banned

• 324 posts |
      Reply #121: Mar 04, 2011 12:10:59 pm
      Pointless keeping anybody who isn't good enough whether they make the numbers up or not.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #122: Mar 04, 2011 12:19:54 pm
      Pointless keeping anybody who isn't good enough whether they make the numbers up or not.

I agree with this.

Just need to have a look at the squad list on LFC.tv, fair enough some are on loan, but there is some serious dead weight on there that should never get near our first team. Why bother keeping them?

We can debate whether some players have a utility value, but names like Degen, El Zhar, Konchesky, Poulsen... they're not young hopefuls or even decent back up.

There are quite a few other players who I would consider replacing (Maxi, Jovanovic, N'Gog amongst others), but it would more depend on who we are targeting this summer so won't go into more detail.

Quick Reply