Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

European football next year

Read 12409 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: European football next year
      Reply #69: Mar 18, 2011 09:57:26 pm

THE last time Liverpool failed to qualify for Europe, the hapless Jean Michel Ferri made two appearances, the hopeless Sean Dundee three – and the faded warhorse that was Karl Heinz Riedle was almost ever present, despite contributing just six goals all season.

So no surprise that Liverpool missed out.

But this current Liverpool squad is so much better, is so much more exciting – which is why last night’s European exit is so crushing.

Because it’s not just this season’s continental excursions which have come to a premature end – so have next season’s, too.

The prospect of Suarez and Carroll, Gerrard and Meireles pitting their wits against some of Europe’s best players was an appetising one.

But it’s on hold for at least 12 months now, because the Reds' wretched pre-Kenny form means a fifth placed finish is almost impossible.

It’s nearly 47 years since The Reds first ventured into Europe in the summer of ‘64.

Since then – the banned years apart – Liverpool have failed to compete in European football in just three seasons.

That’s an astonishing record of consistency.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/03/18/dave-prentice-liverpool-fc-must-set-a-new-minimum-acceptable-target-after-europa-league-exit-100252-28358564/#ixzz1GzTVToHQ

So who do we thank for our current predicament?
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #70: Mar 18, 2011 10:15:17 pm
      We're not citeh, we can't pay massive wages or spunk hundreds of millions to get in "top" players (or mercenarys) and I wouldn't want anyone who came just for the money.

European football is a must - players want to join us not only because of our history and prestige, but also to prove themselves on the biggest stages and win trophies.
      Without European football, we will lose out on some good players simply because they have ambitions to play at that level.

The other side of the coin, is getting younger players in who understand a vision, and who are prepared to give it a season or 2 to work out.
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #71: Mar 18, 2011 10:22:00 pm
      Carroll and Suarez are on 85-90k a week if my memory serves me...kind of shoots down that argument
        85-90k isnt 100k +, and they got that wage due F.T. left his paycheck so its almost same sh*t,but yea i know that you mean.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #72: Mar 18, 2011 10:22:11 pm

THE last time Liverpool failed to qualify for Europe, the hapless Jean Michel Ferri made two appearances, the hopeless Sean Dundee three – and the faded warhorse that was Karl Heinz Riedle was almost ever present, despite contributing just six goals all season.

So no surprise that Liverpool missed out.

But this current Liverpool squad is so much better, is so much more exciting – which is why last night’s European exit is so crushing.

Because it’s not just this season’s continental excursions which have come to a premature end – so have next season’s, too.

The prospect of Suarez and Carroll, Gerrard and Meireles pitting their wits against some of Europe’s best players was an appetising one.

But it’s on hold for at least 12 months now, because the Reds' wretched pre-Kenny form means a fifth placed finish is almost impossible.

It’s nearly 47 years since The Reds first ventured into Europe in the summer of ‘64.

Since then – the banned years apart – Liverpool have failed to compete in European football in just three seasons.

That’s an astonishing record of consistency.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/03/18/dave-prentice-liverpool-fc-must-set-a-new-minimum-acceptable-target-after-europa-league-exit-100252-28358564/#ixzz1GzTVToHQ

So who do we thank for our current predicament?

Tells its own story Eurored - 2 of the players mentioned signed in January and one last summer. Quality? depth?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #73: Mar 18, 2011 10:49:07 pm
      Tells its own story Eurored - 2 of the players mentioned signed in January and one last summer. Quality? depth?

Correct Scotia... and all the rest of it.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #74: Apr 12, 2011 09:47:56 am
      JimmyRiceWriter Jimmy Rice
      If Man City finish fifth and win the FA Cup, there will be an extra Europa League place for whoever finishes sixth in the league #lfc #mcfc
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #75: Apr 12, 2011 09:54:30 am
      The top four Premier League teams will qualify for the Champions League - the top three go straight into the group stages, with the fourth-placed team in the qualifying rounds.

The first team to book their place in Europe were Carling Cup winners Birmingham City, who will play in the Europa League, insisting they will have "no problem" complying with Uefa's financial criteria, which clubs must meet to allow them to play in Europe.

English clubs have three places in the Europa League - for the FA Cup winners, the Carling Cup winners and the fifth-placed team in the Premier League.

If Manchester City or Manchester United win the FA Cup while finishing in the top four of the Premier League, the losing finalists - Bolton or Stoke - will enter the Europa League.

However, if City or United win the Cup but finish outside the top four, they will enter the Europa League along with the sixth-placed team.

The bottom three teams will be relegated to the Championship - with the battle likely to go right to the wire.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9448435.stm
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #76: Apr 12, 2011 10:17:18 am
      I can see the argument about why not having EL football will let our player rest etc and I guess we'll have to cling to that if we miss out.  However, we want and need Europe to attract the kind of players we need and because it is our F***ing birthright! We belong in Europe.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #77: Apr 12, 2011 10:37:47 am
      i understand we need to be associated with european football, but i genuinely don't think the type of players we are trying to attract will be refusing to come because we're not in europa league.

take carroll and suarez for example. i think they both came because we're a big global club with rich history and genuine promise of long term league and european football success. they didn't come because they thought we'd be in europa league next year.

europea league will be a pleasant bonus but i will not miss it for one bit if we're not in it.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #78: Apr 12, 2011 10:45:43 am
      But sadly, not all players are like that.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #79: Apr 12, 2011 01:53:29 pm
      But sadly, not all players are like that.

this is true but it's a good filter to fish out glory hunters. we want players who want to come here to work hard to make long terms success happen, not people who just want the instant glamour and self-advertisement of champs league.

kenny's very clever, he knows we need a good mixture of youngsters coming through and 2 or 3 more class players bought.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #80: Apr 12, 2011 10:00:59 pm
      I would sacrifice a season without European football if it means a serious push for a top 4 spot and UCL football the following year.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #81: Apr 12, 2011 10:03:23 pm
      The only problem with relying on City to win the cup is that they are sh*t without Tevez.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #82: Apr 12, 2011 10:06:09 pm
      I don't really care about Europa. But I would like to be in it just to give our young players a chance. I see it as an opportunity for players on the brink of the first team and players we are developing to get matches in, but not for our first team.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #83: Apr 13, 2011 08:29:30 am
      It's still a long shot for Europe next season. If we can beat Arsenal on Sunday though, only 2 points behind Spurs (albeit playing 2 games more). They might panic then. Think the key games are Spurs games vs Arsenal and City.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #84: Apr 13, 2011 09:06:27 am
      I still think it's possible for us to get in Europe through 6th though, City have got a chance of nicking it agianst United and then they will have a good chance in the final, and I don't think they will finish 4th.
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #85: Apr 13, 2011 09:57:07 am
      yer also fulham will get into the europa league next season because of the fifa fair play rules they are second behind chelsea and chelsea  will finish in the top 4 so it drops down to the team below witch is fulham
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #86: Apr 13, 2011 10:27:16 am
      we are 8pts behind cl place. anybody still believes?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #87: Apr 13, 2011 02:04:11 pm
      It's crazy isn't it how poor ownership and management of the club has lowered the expectations of so many of our fans.

Under Rafa European Football became a luxury one in which we comfortably and regularly indulged in.

Now in a matter of years we have taken significant steps back under the old regime and this has meddled with our expectations. Let's hope FSG keeps doing what it has so far in steering us back in the right direction on and off the field.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #88: Apr 17, 2011 10:28:37 am
      I think its important we qualify and here's my reason.

Hopefully, the deal has been signed and KK will be our manager for the next few years. As experienced as he is domestically, he hasnt got much experience managing in Europe where the approach to games and the challenges can be different.

Think it would be great for KK to get another season of even Europa league experience under his belt because we are all confident the following season under his leadership we will be back in the Champions League where we belong.

So think that experience of another season in the Europa could be massive in preparation for our next assault on winning number 6 under Kenny.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #89: May 20, 2011 11:12:27 am
      Bump.

Our history, morals and future is bright but with the likes of Citehin the CL now, the Chavs needing to spend big and The Mancs using EPL prize money to buy new talent - Can we still compete with the likes of them?

Damien Comolli has proved himself during one transfer window to be a man who obviously knows his stuff, knows how to promote us to the right people.  How important will he be to us this summer?  Would he be able, for example, to offer a world class player a 3 year contract where the first years wage is inflated?  As a kind of "stick it out for a year and we will be up there next season" deal?

I really don’t know how these work so I'd be interested if any of you guys could clear it up.

NESV have the money and they have the will to win.  They know that they need to spend and I've been really happy with whati I have seen so far from these guys.

The sad thing is, of course we have Kenny and Steve in.  Great proven players - new talent sure to be unstoppable, but without the CL, players may overlook us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #90: May 20, 2011 11:23:11 am
      How important will he be to us this summer?  Would he be able, for example, to offer a world class player a 3 year contract where the first years wage is inflated?  As a kind of "stick it out for a year and we will be up there next season" deal?

I'm no expert either but I'm sure a contract could be set up like that as long as the player is willing to accept it and sign.

Contracts have all sorts of clauses these days and a lot of clubs close to relegation have deals where the players wages decrease should they go down.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #91: May 20, 2011 11:32:10 am
      Bump.

Our history, morals and future is bright but with the likes of Citehin the CL now, the Chavs needing to spend big and The Mancs using EPL prize money to buy new talent - Can we still compete with the likes of them?

Damien Comolli has proved himself during one transfer window to be a man who obviously knows his stuff, knows how to promote us to the right people.  How important will he be to us this summer?  Would he be able, for example, to offer a world class player a 3 year contract where the first years wage is inflated?  As a kind of "stick it out for a year and we will be up there next season" deal?

I really don’t know how these work so I'd be interested if any of you guys could clear it up.

NESV have the money and they have the will to win.  They know that they need to spend and I've been really happy with whati I have seen so far from these guys.

The sad thing is, of course we have Kenny and Steve in.  Great proven players - new talent sure to be unstoppable, but without the CL, players may overlook us.

We are LFC, the most succesfull club in English football, 5 European Cups, 3 Europa Cups, 18 league Titles, 7 FA Cups, 7 League Cups, 15 Charity Shields, 3 Eufa Super Cups

Also we have won 19 league Titles, as many many years ago, the lancashire league was the top division, but it is not mentioned very often for some reason.

So what I am saying is, book them and they will come. ;D.

Quick Reply