Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2011 Hillsborough Memorial Service

Read 43185 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: 2011 Hillsborough Memorial Service
      Reply #161: Apr 16, 2011 12:04:58 am
      F**k oath mate. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Something I can actually show pride in and have no qualms in saying I am a Liverpudlian, whether we the kings of Europe or a conference side. Only a special place like Liverpool could make a grim day like today a celebration of what unity and teamwork can achieve.

And only a club like Liverpool could have an impact on it's past managers like it did today.

Sir King Kenny, Prince Rafa and the power of a Scouse empire. The perfect celebration of 96 lives we won't forget.

Rafa is a King aswell in my eyes now Crouch.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #162: Apr 16, 2011 12:25:44 am
      Sitting there with our Josh (he finally got time off work) and it was hard to hold back the tears for both of us. Sat there surrounded by like minded people feeling the same pride and pain as us.

Massive up to the choir who I thought were brilliant. Nice touch from Jimmy McGovern. Margaret Aspinall was as always emotional and heart felt. Steve Rotherham really got me going, his passion shone through no end. Seeing and hearing the reception Kenny got when it was announced the wheels are in motion to have him knighted.

But the part that really tipped me over the edge was Leroy James' Hillsborough Anthem Hillsborough Anthem (20th anniversary version, not today's).

Getting home and watching the repeat on LFC TV left me somewhat angry as they left a good portion of the service out. But I got a chance to see Rafa's emotion and that just had be crying me eyes out again. Whatever people think of him as a manager, it's plainfully obvious the man has an affection with our club.

But lets not forget why we were there. We were there to remember 96 friends who never returned to their homes. 96 people who were the victims of the authorities being unable to police a major sporting event (again) and the FA getting it tits up from start to finish. The authorities have continued to fail the families of the 96, Liverpool Football Club and it's supporters as a whole and the entire footballing world.

The football world came together today. I saw Everton fans, a Man City fan (laid their scarf on the pitch as well), few Celtic and Rangers tops. These people have been cheated by the authorities as well. This is why the fight for justice is not being fought by just us Reds, but real football fans across the world.

And the fight for your justice will continue.

RIP to those 96 who watched over us today from the Kop in the sky.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #163: Apr 16, 2011 12:30:51 am
      I am always proud to be a RED, but even more so on a day like today, it was lovely to see an almost full Kop with such pride and passion and hope for the justice that the '96' deserve.

We could see Rafa from where we were but obviously we couldn't see him crying, but Margaret Aspinall spoke very highly of him and praised him for all the work and help he'd given to the HFSG. Made up he was there.

The players received a lovely reception from the Kop when they came out and special applause was reserved for King Kenny.

A privilege to be there today amongst fellow Reds and it was nice to see El Batez again today as well as Frizzby and his lovely wife Bev, really nice to meet you both, hope your journey was a safe one back.

We must keep up the fight to get Justice for the 96....they didn't deserve to die the way they did  >:(

You'll Never Walk Alone

JFT 96
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #164: Apr 16, 2011 01:29:05 am
      A very touching even for not just Liverpool fans but everyone else as well.

I loved the speeches. I thought they were very genuine and deep.

Liverpool is more than just a football club. They are a family. And the 96, they will always be remembered, not only just on the 15th of April each year. Was nice to also see the tremendous connection/togetherness the manager, players, fans and everyone connected to Liverpool FC had as a whole.

This is what separates Liverpool FC from the millions of other football clubs in the world.

It's not a badge but a family crest.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #165: Apr 16, 2011 02:50:06 am
      But the part that really tipped me over the edge was Leroy James' Hillsborough Anthem Hillsborough Anthem (20th anniversary version, not today's).

Every year, that one song has me in bits. It's just a lovely song, with so much emotion.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #166: Apr 16, 2011 08:45:37 am
      Just want to say Thank You to the support from other clubs that came to the sevice yesterday.

JFT96  YNWA.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1736 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #167: Apr 16, 2011 10:24:27 am
      Great service again.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #168: Apr 16, 2011 11:09:26 am
      Just want to say Thank You to the support from other clubs that came to the sevice yesterday.

JFT96  YNWA.

Nice to meet you and Mrs Batez yesterday  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Good to meet Mr & Mrs Frizz as well  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I saw a crowd of Celtic Fans in the morning getting their tickets for the service  :gt-happyup:
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #169: Apr 16, 2011 11:45:36 am
      Watched it (the ceremony) live on satelite and rewatched it on LFCTV later
       very emotional with well short and relevant speeches

the ceremony showed what a big family LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB is
        Sir Kenny Dalglish......love the sound of that 

ps Thank you to RAFA BENITEZ for your great support, you really are a true gentlemen,,,(and you made me cry too )

YNWA

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #170: Apr 16, 2011 02:50:21 pm
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #171: Apr 16, 2011 07:41:16 pm
      I've always been a soft lad and cry at soppy films but yesterday was something else, it was my first time of attending.
      I've always wanted to visit and show my respects for those that lost their lives, I've seen the Hillsborough Memorial outside the ground on match days but had never attended a Memorial service before today.

Bev and I had previously met Cas, J.D., Gow, RedKenny, Smigger and El Batez in the Sandon and sat with them during the service which really tugged at my heartstrings (Abide with me always gets me going) I cried (a lot!)!

This should have been resolved years ago, people should be able to rest easy but no, 22yrs on and we're still screaming for Justice, Justice for 96 people who would not return from a day out.

King Kenny Deserves a knighthood but if it's down to the governments then it'll take as long as Justice for the 96 and Bob Paisley's knighthood.

Rafa' Benitez Just shows how much this Club STILL means to him, his donation last year was generous in itself but his further attendance shows not just respect for the 96 but also his links with this fine club and City.

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #172: Apr 16, 2011 08:34:39 pm
      Getting home and watching the repeat on LFC TV left me somewhat angry as they left a good portion of the service out.

I was in work so I couldn't watch it live.  I thought it was a bit short.  Why would they do that  ???  The bits they showed were powerful though.  I loved the choir too.

But I got a chance to see Rafa's emotion and that just had be crying me eyes out again. Whatever people think of him as a manager, it's plainfully obvious the man has an affection with our club.

I was in bits from the "highlights" I watched until then but that well pushed me over the edge.

But lets not forget why we were there. We were there to remember 96 friends who never returned to their homes. 96 people who were the victims of the authorities being unable to police a major sporting event (again) and the FA getting it tits up from start to finish. The authorities have continued to fail the families of the 96, Liverpool Football Club and it's supporters as a whole and the entire footballing world.

The football world came together today. I saw Everton fans, a Man City fan (laid their scarf on the pitch as well), few Celtic and Rangers tops. These people have been cheated by the authorities as well. This is why the fight for justice is not being fought by just us Reds, but real football fans across the world.

And the fight for your justice will continue.

RIP to those 96 who watched over us today from the Kop in the sky.

Watching the programmes after on LFC TV and the accounts of those who were there, I think more comes out bit by bit about how the authorities were so totally negligent that day.  I hope that some day soon the truth will come out.

It came across as a good service and it's heartening to hear of other clubs fans attending.  Well in to them.  I see the Everton fans there but not other clubs.  Apparently a few threads on other clubs forums as well, so well in to them too.  Respect.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #173: Apr 16, 2011 08:41:40 pm
      I was in work so I couldn't watch it live.  I thought it was a bit short.  Why would they do that  ???  The bits they showed were powerful though.  I loved the choir too.

Not too sure why they cut it on the repeat. Can't see any reason for them to do that, this is possibly the most important day in our history and the service should always be shown in it's entirety (whether live or repeat) and fit the other shows on LFC TV around the service - not the other way round.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4882 
      Reply #174: Apr 17, 2011 12:12:57 am
      I had to work a 15 hour shift yesterday and only got home late this evening so missed the service but got to watch it just now.

As always an emotional service but a fitting way to remember the 96 lives lost 22 years ago.

Margaret Aspinall spoke from the heart and I thought Steve Rotherham also gave a powerful speech.

Just annoyed I didn't get to see the service on the day.

RIP 96.

YNWA

StevieGTheCaptain8
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts | 11 
      • Italian Fan
      Reply #175: Apr 17, 2011 08:29:58 am
      Really really touching, even for me that I wasn't born yet at the time of the disaster.. A big club you can also see from this. 20,000 fans came to support Reds in F.A. Cup Final, 96 never returned. JTF96, and You'll Never Walk Alone!
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #176: Apr 17, 2011 05:39:39 pm
      Just landed in Oz a fortnight ago so missed the service live for the 1st time in years. Saw the vids on the offal and listening to the Podcast - and cried my heart out. It is honest to God shocking how much it resonates with me and I don't even know any of the families.

JFT96

YNWA
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #177: May 01, 2011 02:19:00 am
      I was travelling when the Memorial happened so I only saw images of it today, I didn't know Rafa has been there and went to tears, I must say I cried with him while watching the video

Top man our Rafa

Rafa Benitez in tears at Hillsborough 22 memorial

Quick Reply