Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Alcoholism – A Disease?

Read 17850 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Alcoholism – A Disease?
      Reply #92: Mar 10, 2011 12:18:03 am
      It's not how I interpret the word disease, it's what the actual definition is. Both 1. and 2. fit Alcoholism. There isn't a choice for alcoholics either! Being sober doesn't stop you from being an alcoholic. Alcoholism is actually considered a chronic life long disease. Addicts may be able to stop using whatever they use, but that doesn't mean they stop being an addict. In fact, the hardest part starts once you're actually sober. You should go to an A.A. meeting and try and convince people there that they're not alcoholics anymore because they're sober. And people with other diseases do sometimes have a choice aswell, while in many cases it's a more unconscious fight, not always. Hypertension for example, the best way to battle it is to choose for a healthier lifestyle. Or even cases of Diabetes.

I never said that being sober will cure you. Recovering alcoholics will always be an addict. Yes, being sober does not mean your cured. My point in all this is that the actual "Disease" of alcoholism may not be cured through sobriety, but you dont have to suffer its effects and you can choose to be without alcohol and you can choose to stop drinking. My point was that a sufferer of Cancer has no choice and their only hope of recovery is through remission and medical interventions.

I know from first hand account what Alcoholism and addiction does to someone. I have multiple family members who are alcoholics including me. I also spent years battling a prescription drug addiction. I could of continued but I chose to stop. That was my choice and because of it I no longer suffer from the effects of addiction. I will always be an addict and an alcoholic. Always. I will always have the condition. But I think that it should not be considered a disease in the same way as Cancer, Parkinson's, MS etc... Thats all. With those diseases their are certain instances when choice and lifestyle were direct causes to getting the disease. But, once you have that disease and you suffer from the effects then you have no options to stop the effects of that disease. Thats the difference. The negative effects and problems of addiction come from actually using the drugs and alcohol, not just being an addict. 
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #93: Mar 10, 2011 12:38:16 am
      I'm not going further into that. This thread questions whether Alcoholism is a disease. Not whether it's a disease like Cancer, Parkinson's or M.S. Even if I think there are similarities, just like they do differ obviously. There's a wide variety of diseases.
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #94: May 13, 2011 10:52:50 am
      i have been a chronic alcohic for about 30years and my substance misuse nurse says alcoholism can be caused by a disease of the brain where there is altered brain structure and function, and could be gentic.My wife divorced me because of it and my kids don't want to see me, i have ended up in prison through it and cannot hold down a job,but i just couldn't stop but i have now had enough and i am now on a detox programme taking librium for a week to help me withdrawal from the alcohol, then i will be on a drug called Antabuse which you can't consume alcohol while you are on it, which i could be on for the rest of my life. I believe alcoholism is a disease but with the help of medication you can helped. i know there will probably be people on here sayng i deserve all got, but i really couldn't stop, but hopefully with the medication i can. If anyone is going through the same as me you can always pm if you want a chat.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #95: May 13, 2011 10:44:37 pm
      Slimdogg - first of all, I think you're very brave to own up to being an alcoholic, I'm sure it's not an easy thing to admit to.

I'm really sorry for you that you've lost your Wife and children, that must be pretty hard to take.

I sincerely hope you manage to get your addiction sorted and you get your life back on track.

Big hugs and lots of love to you.

I wish you all the very best hun  :hug:
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #96: May 13, 2011 10:54:50 pm
      Slimdogg - first of all, I think you're very brave to own up to being an alcoholic, I'm sure it's not an easy thing to admit to.

I'm really sorry for you that you've lost your Wife and children, that must be pretty hard to take.

I sincerely hope you manage to get your addiction sorted and you get your life back on track.

Big hugs and lots of love to you.

I wish you all the very best hun  :hug:

I couldn't have said it better. Best of luck Slimdogg.  We know how hard an addiction is and congratulate you on your efforts to get over it. :gt-happyup:
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #97: May 13, 2011 10:57:05 pm
      i have been a chronic alcohic for about 30years and my substance misuse nurse says alcoholism can be caused by a disease of the brain where there is altered brain structure and function, and could be gentic.My wife divorced me because of it and my kids don't want to see me, i have ended up in prison through it and cannot hold down a job,but i just couldn't stop but i have now had enough and i am now on a detox programme taking librium for a week to help me withdrawal from the alcohol, then i will be on a drug called Antabuse which you can't consume alcohol while you are on it, which i could be on for the rest of my life. I believe alcoholism is a disease but with the help of medication you can helped. i know there will probably be people on here sayng i deserve all got, but i really couldn't stop, but hopefully with the medication i can. If anyone is going through the same as me you can always pm if you want a chat.

Takes a lot not only for you to admit to this but, to finally take steps towards quitting and I would imagine it's a very daunting road ahead for you.

You've made this huge move towards doing something about it mate, so stick with it.

You can't go back and undo the damage that has been done but, you can repair some of the damage and make a better future for yourself and others.

Seriously, the best of luck to you on a very brave move.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #98: May 13, 2011 11:00:56 pm
      I couldn't have said it better. Best of luck Slimdogg.  We know how hard an addiction is and congratulate you on your efforts to get over it. :gt-happyup:

Cheers Soxfan  :)

Life can be tough at times, and it's times when life is tough that we need one another, I like to think we're a cut above the normal football fan, we have class, humility, support each other when needed, I think this is one of those times.
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #99: May 14, 2011 02:31:56 pm
      I'd just like to say a big thank you, you really are special people, your support does really mean alot to me, once again thank you.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #100: May 26, 2011 10:44:45 am
      I'd just like to say a big thank you, you really are special people, your support does really mean alot to me, once again thank you.

I'm an alcoholic mate - eight years dry. You can do it. Fight the f**ker and beat it every day. Good luck.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #101: May 26, 2011 02:11:24 pm

How's it going Slimdogg ?
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #102: May 01, 2012 05:25:48 pm
      Hi MsGerrard, sorry it's took such a long time to reply, well it's almost a year since i last drank alcohol, i'm still on medication (Antabuse) which has really helped me, i'd be lying if i said it had been easy, I've finally managed to get a job and keep it, I've been in work for about 6 months now, i see my kids now on a regular basis too. I still have an alcohol counsellor who i see once a month who has been fantastic. For the first time in a very long time i actually like the person who i am. 
      LFCexiled
      Reply #103: May 01, 2012 05:29:52 pm
      Hi MsGerrard, sorry it's took such a long time to reply, well it's almost a year since i last drank alcohol, i'm still on medication (Antabuse) which has really helped me, i'd be lying if i said it had been easy, I've finally managed to get a job and keep it, I've been in work for about 6 months now, i see my kids now on a regular basis too. I still have an alcohol counsellor who i see once a month who has been fantastic. For the first time in a very long time i actually like the person who i am. 

Fair play to you mate and keep on keepin on. ;)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #104: May 01, 2012 05:42:45 pm
      Nice one slimdogg, keep it mate, and well done with the job. And seeing your kids on a regular basis must be a huge morale booster for you mate :gt-happyup:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #105: May 01, 2012 05:57:17 pm
      Fair play to you Slimdogg.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,622 posts | 1515 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #106: May 01, 2012 07:27:45 pm
      Well done! Keep it going and stay strong!

I personally don't drink, but only because I have seen what getting addicted to it can do, my dad, who doesn't live with us, is a decent person but as soon as he gets a little money in his hands he cant help it and disappears for weeks on the stuff.. Its the reason he cant keep a job and the reason a lot of people don't want to know him.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #107: May 01, 2012 11:04:31 pm

All I can say is a massive well done to you, it can't of been easy for you, so keep up the good work and nice one hun, proud of you  :hug:
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #108: May 01, 2012 11:50:43 pm
      Great news, slimdogg and thanks for getting back to us. Keep up the good work!  :gt-happyup:

YNWA
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #109: May 04, 2012 05:45:32 pm
      Thanks for all your kind messages of support, it really means a lot to me knowing i have your support, as i've said it's not easy and at times i could murder a drink but there is no way i'm gonna go back to drinking. Once again thanks to you all.

Quick Reply