Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Shane Long (Reading)

Read 13227 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Shane Long (Reading)
      Mar 01, 2011 11:30:45 am
      Liverpool FA Cup nemesis linked with shock Anfield switch
      1st Mar 2011 - Transfer Gossip 
      7 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Liverpool are being linked with a shock summer move for Reading striker Shane Long.

Most Recent Gossip
      Liverpool 'make enquiry' over €17m …
      €15m Arsenal striker target opens d…
      Liverpool line up move to sign Barcel…
      Liverpool FA Cup nemesis linked with …
      Liverpool step up push for Villarreal…
      The Irish international forward has been in fine form for the Championship outfit this season, and Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is thought to have targeted the player as a potential summer addition.

Long, who scored the winner against Liverpool in Reading's 2-1 FA Cup victory at Anfield last season, has 14 goals to his name this term and is the leading score at the Madejski Stadium for Brian McDermott's outfit.

Joe.ie reports that the player is desperate to ply his trade in the Barclays Premier League, although with Reading only six points outside the play-off places that dream could be realised in Berkshire.

Liverpool spent big on strikers in January, with Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez brought into Merseyside to nulify the exit of Spaniard Fernando Torres.

Dalglish has hinted at strengthening in a number of positions in the summer too, and despite the double striker addition it appears another forward could be on the radar for Liverpool.

A left back is thought to be the club's main priority though, and the Liverpool squad is set for a major revamp in the summer.

Source: GiveMeFootball

This story has b
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Shane Long (Reading)
      Reply #1: Mar 01, 2011 02:17:18 pm
      Um...

;D?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Mar 01, 2011 03:33:30 pm
      I've actually played against Shane Long when he was 16 playing in a pre season match for Cork city. He has good pace but his all round game is fairly ordinary. He is actually a poor mans Kevin Doyle
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Mar 01, 2011 03:35:22 pm
      Beaten to the poor mans Kevin Doyle line. I like the kid but he's not the quality we should be targeting. Doubt there is much in that article anyway
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2011 05:18:58 pm
      We want to best linked to the best strikers in the world not the championship,No disrespect to the lad,But not for us.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2011 10:14:01 pm
      Oh dear!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #6: Mar 02, 2011 04:45:02 am
      I've actually played against Shane Long when he was 16 playing in a pre season match for Cork city. He has good pace but his all round game is fairly ordinary. He is actually a poor mans Kevin Doyle

Class!

But yeah, Shane Long. Lets hope this was a joke.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Mar 02, 2011 05:54:00 am
      He is better than Ngog, works the channels well and has an eye for goal. Works hard for the team also.

It is not a transfer that would enfuse me, but he may well be a better 3rd choice striker than what we have atm.

If we got him for similar money than we would get for Ngog then it would be good business.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Mar 02, 2011 01:23:13 pm
      Read this yesterday nearly spat me breakfast out but dint reply straight away. Wanted to think about it. And while I ould still expect to be chasing bigger names I cant help but wonder is he the type of player who at a bkgger club with  better players would become a better player? And yes I think he would. So if we bought him as a squad player Id lose no sleep. If we bought him to be our 3rd striker then Id see no point
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #9: Mar 02, 2011 01:24:54 pm
      Who, in turn, is the poor man's Emile Hesky.

I haven't seen Long play too much but "the poor man's Kevin Doyle" ain't exactly a ringing endorsement.  :-\

Way off the mark with that one. Doyle has all the attributes needed mate. He has pace strenght good in the air, can take people on with the ball and a good finisher.Id have him hear in a flash

Ive said it a few times in hear and its not an "Irish thing" if he was from the Faroes Id say the same
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Mar 02, 2011 03:14:20 pm
      As long as he knows he's a 3rd striker I have no problems. I'd also prefer to keep that 3rd striker spot open for players from the ressies/youth setup for now.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: Mar 02, 2011 03:35:24 pm
      We want to best linked to the best strikers in the world not the championship
      That was Carroll last season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Mar 02, 2011 06:37:20 pm
      Seriously?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #13: Mar 02, 2011 07:02:40 pm
      Decent but not good enough for us.
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #14: May 12, 2011 09:32:53 am
      http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/liverpool-plot-surprise-5m-hitman-swoop
      Liverpool are being linked with a shock move for Reading forward Shane Long.

The Championship hotshot has been in fine form this term, and also impressed at international level after earning a regular spot in the Republic of Ireland national side.

An integral part of the Royals' promotion push, Long is set to start up-fron against Cardiff in the play-offs tomorrow, with Brian McDermott's side biding for a place in the Barclays Premier League.

TalkSPORT claim Liverpool are keeping a close eye on the player, and have been monitoring his progress at the Madejski Stadium over recent months.

The same website claimed Kenny Dalglish was interested in the player only a few months ago, and it's now claimed that Liverpool are considering a £5 million bid for the striker.

Should the Berkshire side secure promotion, Liverpool may have to dig deeper into their pockets to secure the player's services as the Merseysiders look for a back-up forward.

After spending big on Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January, Dalglish is thought to be keen on adding another attacker at Anfield in the summer transfer window.

Former Cork City striker Long appears to be one of a handful of potential targets, and could get his dream chance in the top flight with Liverpool even if his current club fail to secure a passage through the play-offs.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #15: May 12, 2011 10:02:12 am
      This has surely got to be a joke? Long is average IMO

Anyone else notice that every player we've been linked with (Long, Downing, Young etc) who are either completely average or very overrated. For instance, our rivals are being linked with far higher caliber players, City (Fabregas, Sanchez, Sneijder, Pastore) United (Snijder, De Gea, Sanchez), Chelsea (Neymar, Sanchez).

I know newspapers get a lot of things wrong but normally there not far from the truth.

Lot fans on here and other forums are expecting spending sprees and world class marquee signings, i reckon a few might be a little disappointed come August. I really want a player like Aguero or a player of similar caliber but I just get the feeling it ain't gonna happen.

We'll spend money for sure but just not as much as people are expecting IMO. I hope I'm completely wrong but I am yet to fully trust the owners, due to the fact only 2 million was spent in Jan and the lies H and G gave us.

Sorry for being little negative, just the way I see it. Hope in a few months time I'll be eating humble pie.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #16: May 12, 2011 10:15:21 am
      He is better than Ngog, works the channels well and has an eye for goal. Works hard for the team also.

It is not a transfer that would enfuse me, but he may well be a better 3rd choice striker than what we have atm.

If we got him for similar money than we would get for Ngog then it would be good business.
      We already got Kuyt for that.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: May 12, 2011 10:26:49 am
      This has surely got to be a joke? Long is average IMO

Anyone else notice that every player we've been linked with (Long, Downing, Young etc) who are either completely average or very overrated. For instance, our rivals are being linked with far higher caliber players, City (Fabregas, Sanchez, Sneijder, Pastore) United (Snijder, De Gea, Sanchez), Chelsea (Neymar, Sanchez).

I know newspapers get a lot of things wrong but normally there not far from the truth.

Lot fans on here and other forums are expecting spending sprees and world class marquee signings, I reckon a few might be a little disappointed come August. I really want a player like Aguero or a player of similar caliber but I just get the feeling it ain't gonna happen.

We'll spend money for sure but just not as much as people are expecting IMO. I hope I'm completely wrong but I am yet to fully trust the owners, due to the fact only 2 million was spent in Jan and the lies H and G gave us.

Sorry for being little negative, just the way I see it. Hope in a few months time I'll be eating humble pie.

I think a few will be surprised mate.  I understand your not trusting the owners yet but I can see them spending and spending big.

I know they said they wanted to win the Title within 3 years but now they've seen the improvements recently they will go for it next season.  Why slow down progress just put some more fuel on the fire and go for the winning line  ;D
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #18: May 12, 2011 10:42:47 am
      Well we could sign 10 Shane Long's and Dalglish will have us challenging for the title, he's the king.

I want to trust our owners but there's always a thought in the back of my mind that they may not be as great as some people are saying they are.

I hope I'm thoroughly surprised, but I'm not ready to get an Aguero shirt in anticipation of him signing though ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #19: May 12, 2011 10:49:18 am
      Well we could sign 10 Shane Long's and Dalglish will have us challenging for the title, he's the king.

I want to trust our owners but there's always a thought in the back of my mind that they may not be as great as some people are saying they are.

I hope I'm thoroughly surprised, but I'm not ready to get an Aguero shirt in anticipation of him signing though ;D

No I'd keep your money in your pocket until you see Kenny parading him around Anfield  ;)
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #20: May 12, 2011 12:11:58 pm
      I may be a bit biased being from Ireland but I honestly see a lot of potential in Long. And people saying he's a poor mans Kevin Doyle is a bit harsh. I actually think he's a better natural finisher than Doyle, with the same work ethic and strength. Obviously we would all love to see an Aguerro or someone of that Callibre, and hopefully we will see some big signings in the summer, but as squad players go, we could do a lot worse than Long.  If we had him this year playing in the games in which Ngog started things may have been different. Still very young and I think as he continues to improve, the premier league suits his style of play.

And yes I know people will come back and say we need to be targeting more quality if we want to mount a serious title challenge which I do agree, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Long is a decent player with a decent future, IMO of course :)
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #21: May 12, 2011 01:27:57 pm
      ROI standard, good Championship player.

Not Liverpool standard and never will be.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: May 12, 2011 01:31:27 pm
      Potential bags of it, good signing for us dont see it. Morgan has as much potential as him so no need for him

Quick Reply