Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton)

Read 18218 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton)
      Reply #92: Aug 08, 2011 06:01:23 pm
      £12m for Chamberlain is shocking - and people are slating the amounts that we pay for players!?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #93: Aug 08, 2011 06:09:37 pm
      12 million upfront. Southhampton must feel like they've won the lotto when Arsenal scouts show up to games
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #94: Aug 08, 2011 07:11:29 pm
      12 million upfront. Southhampton must feel like they've won the lotto when Arsenal scouts show up to games

With the nonsense bulks we saw in today's market, 12m for a 16-yo talented kid is not too much I think.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #95: Aug 08, 2011 07:16:49 pm
      You're having  laugh. A lot of money upfront for a league 1 player. Makes Jordan look a bargain
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #96: Aug 08, 2011 08:02:50 pm
      Oxlade Chamberlain is a talent - but I was very weary over his temperament and I'm thinking along the lines of Jermaine Pennant with him. I seriously doubted whether he had the mindset right for this club. Wenger's got to work on him a bit.
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #97: Aug 08, 2011 08:05:05 pm
      Oxlade-Chamberlain moves to Arsenal

Mon, 08 Aug 18:46:15 2011

Arsenal have completed the £15million signing of Southampton winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Saints announced on their website that Oxlade-Chamberlain has moved to the Emirates Stadium for a club record fee, subject to Premier League and Football Association approval.

The Gunners are to pay £12million up front and a further £3million in add-ons, Press Association Sport understands.

Arsene Wenger hailed Oxlade-Chamberlain, who turns 18 next Monday, as a player of rich potential, and said: "We are delighted that Alex has decided to join us," Wenger told the club's official website, www.arsenal.com. "He is an exciting young player who will provide us with creativity and offensive quality.

"Alex is a versatile player who can play in a number of positions. He can play as an attacking centre midfielder, or wide left and right. Alex is a perceptive passer of the ball and has a great understanding of the game and looks to be a very good team player."

Oxlade-Chamberlain has yet to compete at a higher level than League One but his signing will still be viewed as a coup for Arsenal, despite the size of the transfer fee. Manchester United and Liverpool also expressed interest in the Southampton academy product, but the Gunners edged their rivals on this occasion.

"Alex agreed personal terms and passed a medical this afternoon," read a statement on Southampton's official website www.saintsfc.co.uk. "It is one of the biggest deals in Championship history, which sees Saints' previous transfer records blown out of the water.

"The deal for the midfielder, who had made it clear he saw his future away from Southampton, was done with Saints in the driving seat for the duration of the protracted negotiations and the transfer was completed on our terms."

Oxlade-Chamberlain, who was contracted at Southampton until 2013, is regarded as one of England's most promising young footballers. He played a key role in helping Southampton secure promotion to the Championship last season, firing nine goals in 34 appearances.

"Arsenal have a great manager in Arsene Wenger, top-quality players and an attractive style of play," said Oxlade-Chamberlain. "These were all important factors in me choosing to sign for Arsenal."

EuroSport

He's a Gunner now. 15m my arse!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #98: Aug 08, 2011 08:52:57 pm
      Not at all bothered by this.

One of my close mates is a massive Southampton fan and he doesn't rate him that much. He sounded delighted that they are going to pick up that much for him.

Sterling is a better prospect than him I think.

Quick Reply