Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Diego (Wolfsburg)

Read 26254 times
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Diego (Wolfsburg)
      Mar 01, 2011 04:52:34 pm
      Liverpool contemplate gamble on £15m nomadic midfielder
      1st Mar 2011 - Transfer Gossip  
      19 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
      Wolfsburg midfielder Diego is never very far from the newspaper headlines, often for as many antics off the pitch as on it.

Most Recent Gossip
      Liverpool contemplate gamble on £15m…
      Liverpool 'make enquiry' over €17m …
      €15m Arsenal striker target opens d…
      Liverpool line up move to sign Barcel…
      Liverpool FA Cup nemesis linked with …
      But the 25-year-old Brazilian international is in the news again, this time the subject of increased transfer speculation linking him with a summer move to Liverpool.

The Reds' Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli is said to be a big fan of Diego, who began his promising career in South America at the tender age of 16, making his debut for Santos after graduating from their academy alongside fellow Brazilian stars Elano, Robinho and current Chelsea defender Alex.

Moves to Porto and Juventus never worked out for the eccentric Diego, who has commanded in excess of £40m in transfer fees during his short career, but has by and large failed to live up to his billing.

However, Liverpool have expressed an interest in the player who has showed signs of what he is capable of with his most impressive season coming in the Bundesliga for Werder Bremen where he scored an impressive 22 goals in 39 games.

That sort of form is exactly what Kop fans will be hoping they will see should a move to Anfield be orchestrated.

However, Diego's off the field antics have tarnished his reputation somewhat and he is seen as a disruptive influence in the dressing room, which may cause Liverpool to approach a potential deal with caution.

Just two weeks ago SkySports.com reported how Diego was suspended by Wolfsburg after defying orders during a recent 1-0 defeat to Hannover when he stepped up, and missed a penalty for his side despite not being the designated taker.

Having said that, he is known for his flair and ability to pull the strings, setting up play for his teammates. A tremendous passer, Diego is also very skillful with the ball at his feet - something that Kenny Dalglish is rumoured to be a huge admirer of.

The Liverpool chief is looking to bring an attacking midfield talent to Anfield to sit behind his newly acquired attacking partnership of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll and the Merseysiders are preparing to table a £15million bid in the summer.

Source: GiveMeFootball

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Author: GiveMeFootball
      « Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011 09:30:12 am by JD »
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Diego(Wolfsburg)
      Reply #1: Mar 01, 2011 04:54:02 pm
      Would be shocked if there was any truth in this
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Mar 01, 2011 04:57:43 pm
      ...Diego is also very skillful with the ball at his feet - something that Kenny Dalglish is rumoured to be a huge admirer of.
      Rumoured? ;D What a stupid rumour that is, don't believe it for a second. What sort of manager would admire players with ball control?  :roll:
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Diego (Wolfsburg)
      Reply #3: Mar 01, 2011 04:58:07 pm
      Wolfsburg midfielder Diego is never very far from the newspaper headlines, often for as many antics off the pitch as on it.
      Most Recent Gossip

* Liverpool contemplate gamble on £15m…
          * Liverpool 'make enquiry' over €17m …
          * €15m Arsenal striker target opens d…
          * Liverpool line up move to sign Barcel…
          * Liverpool FA Cup nemesis linked with …

But the 25-year-old Brazilian international is in the news again, this time the subject of increased transfer speculation linking him with a summer move to Liverpool.

The Reds' Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli is said to be a big fan of Diego, who began his promising career in South America at the tender age of 16, making his debut for Santos after graduating from their academy alongside fellow Brazilian stars Elano, Robinho and current Chelsea defender Alex.

Moves to Porto and Juventus never worked out for the eccentric Diego, who has commanded in excess of £40m in transfer fees during his short career, but has by and large failed to live up to his billing.

However, Liverpool have expressed an interest in the player who has showed signs of what he is capable of with his most impressive season coming in the Bundesliga for Werder Bremen where he scored an impressive 22 goals in 39 games.

That sort of form is exactly what Kop fans will be hoping they will see should a move to Anfield be orchestrated.

However, Diego's off the field antics have tarnished his reputation somewhat and he is seen as a disruptive influence in the dressing room, which may cause Liverpool to approach a potential deal with caution.

Just two weeks ago SkySports.com reported how Diego was suspended by Wolfsburg after defying orders during a recent 1-0 defeat to Hannover when he stepped up, and missed a penalty for his side despite not being the designated taker.

Having said that, he is known for his flair and ability to pull the strings, setting up play for his teammates. A tremendous passer, Diego is also very skillful with the ball at his feet - something that Kenny Dalglish is rumoured to be a huge admirer of.

The Liverpool chief is looking to bring an attacking midfield talent to Anfield to sit behind his newly acquired attacking partnership of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll and the Merseysiders are preparing to table a £15million bid in the summer.

No quotes, so it seems to just be paper talk.  That aside, I don't really think he would be a good fit for us now.  He is an incredibly talented player, but is an archetypal #10.... sits in the hole behind a lone striker and creates through the middle.  We already have Gerrard, Cole, and Raul who can play this role.  Also, it looks like we will be playing with 2 strikers or a front 3 next season, so I don't see where he would fit in.  I guess he could fit into a 4-2-1-3 as the playmaker, but we have other priorities so I just can't see this happening. 
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2011 05:33:55 pm
      He's a great playmaker on his day. I watched a lot of Juventus last year and he wasn't very good, although they played a style that didn't suit him whatsoever. He was an absolute genius at Werder Bremen IMO but hasn't done much since then. l I think the German league is good for him, and Spain probably would be too. Not so sure about England. I'd pass.

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #5: Mar 02, 2011 07:07:05 pm
      No quotes, so it seems to just be paper talk.  That aside, I don't really think he would be a good fit for us now.  He is an incredibly talented player, but is an archetypal #10.... sits in the hole behind a lone striker and creates through the middle.  We already have Gerrard, Cole, and Raul who can play this role.  Also, it looks like we will be playing with 2 strikers or a front 3 next season, so I don't see where he would fit in.  I guess he could fit into a 4-2-1-3 as the playmaker, but we have other priorities so I just can't see this happening. 
      When are there ever quotes in a transfer story.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #6: Mar 03, 2011 01:10:07 am
      I think he would be too similar to Aquilani in his first/only season. There would be alot of expectation and he wouldn't be used to the physicality of the Premier League. So basically it would be alot cheaper to recall Aquliani.

As for this business of defying orders. I'm sure Kenny, Sammy, Steve, Gerrard and Carragher would have something to say to him. Let alone every single fan! Could you imagine him taking the ball off Gerrard to take a penalty!? :action-smiley-060:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Mar 03, 2011 01:15:54 am
      I really like him as a player, think he was superb for Werder Bremen and was deserving of the price tag to Juve but they didn't use him well. I think he'd suit AC Milan much more than the more static style of Juve.

However i wouldn't say he'd be top of my list for players i want. Nothing wrong with his game, but just one of those gut feelings he wouldn't succeed at our club.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Mar 03, 2011 03:26:05 pm
      He used to be one of my favorite players when he was at Santos, but did not develop into the player I thought he would. At the age of 17, him and Robinho (then 18) were the stars of a young Santos team that started the league seen as a potential relegated, and finished as the champions. I still think he’s very good but maybe some bad luck in his career (going to Juve was never the smartest move, considering how they’ve been playing in the last few years)  and the fact he’s a bit too one-dimensional (the team has to play around him) means I have my doubts about him now, and would not say LFC should definitely go for him, as I would years ago – his position is not our main priority either. Anyway, he has plenty of talent, vision and can score goals. There are some big clubs that could benefit from having him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #9: Mar 05, 2011 08:10:30 pm
      Great talent, but can be lazy. My mate worked in Germany a few years back when he was at Werder Bremen and he used to rave about Diego. By the time he came back to UK he'd changed his tune said it was 2 good games, 1 lousy and 1 as a passenger. We don't carry passengers
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Mar 22, 2011 04:58:54 pm
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #11: Mar 23, 2011 08:30:22 am
      I don't know him but he's got a stupid name... Diego??  :confused-smiley-013:

:P
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Re: Diego (Wolfsburg)
      Reply #12: Mar 23, 2011 01:04:50 pm
      I think we require a deep lying playmaker, rather than an attacing one. He's more of a Riquelme type of playmaker, than an Alonso type.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #13: Mar 23, 2011 03:13:29 pm
      I don't know him but he's got a stupid name... Diego??  :confused-smiley-013:

:P

:lmao:

The funny thing is, when I was a little kid, there were very few Brazilian footballers named Diego. This Diego, aged 17 in 2002 (I was 15), was the first Brazilian star with my name I can recall, and I was tired of being called Diego Maradona or even Diego Simeone! After him, though, came a lot of other Diego's (we even had one at LFC!), which makes me think my parents weren't the most creative, having given me a name very popular for kids at the time.

I'm glad the reason I am Diego is not Maradona like most of them though. Can't stand the man :D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #14: Mar 23, 2011 03:20:08 pm
      After him, though, came a lot of other Diego's (we even had one at LFC!), which makes me think my parents weren't the most creative, having given me a name very popular for kids at the time.

Or another way to look at it is that your parents were up-to-date and not old fashioned.

Ah yes, Diego Cavalieri. Took me a minute or two to remember which Diego had played for us, ;D
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #15: May 19, 2011 02:41:04 pm

''L'Equipe'' reporting that we are in advanced talks with Diego ...

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2011/20110519_111326_diego-direction-liverpool.html
      *LFC 4EVA*
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 805 posts |
      • *LFC 4LIFE*
      Reply #16: May 19, 2011 02:43:41 pm
      i translated this
      Football - Transfers
      Diego, Liverpool direction?
      Junk VfL Wolfsburg Diego should not wear the jersey of the German club. The player has developed contacts with Liverpool.

Wolfsburg Diego should leave this summer. (EQ)
      Guilty of leaving the gathering of players suddenly a few hours of a decisive game in Hoffenheim on May 14 when he knew he would not hold (3-1), Diego has become undesirable to VfL Wolfsburg. According to L'Equipe of Thursday, the 26 year old Brazilian has developed contacts with Liverpool. The German club would be ready to release his player for 10 million euros, while it had recruited 15 million to Juventus only a year ago.

In addition, leaders from Wolfsburg have inflicted the player a warning and a hefty fine of an unspecified amount, according to Bild be around one month's salary. That would be the most severe sanction in the history of the Bundesliga. " That's my problem, our problem. We need to sit down and solve it. I have a contract with Wolfsburg , "stated the playmaker on the club website . Felix Magath said he was ready " to work with everyone "but the German press that he believes never wants to see him wear the jersey of the club. The future of the player under contract until 2014 but relegated to the reserve team for a few days, will be included elsewhere.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,596 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: May 19, 2011 03:02:46 pm
      If that's true then we can rule out a return for Aquilani
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #18: May 19, 2011 03:14:21 pm

I hope this is not true.  I would much rather have Aqua than Diego.  Diego seems to sulk a lot and I recall a few times recently when he has been causing conflict with his teammates/coaches.  Not the type of attitude we need at Anfield.  Aqua is a much more humble character, and is still a brilliant playmaker! 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: May 19, 2011 03:59:12 pm

Not really ... Diego is more of an attacking midfielder, while Aquilani has spent this season playing as a deep-lying play-maker at Juventus ...
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #20: May 19, 2011 04:20:45 pm
      I didn't know Diego played football  :f_tongueincheek:

Anyways, I don't really know Diego but read about him being a star of the future when he was still at Santos with Robinho. I know he's been doing well in Wolfsburg and also at his previous club, don't know alot about him other than that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #21: May 19, 2011 04:24:06 pm
      Sounds a bit of an argumentative f**ker to me!
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: May 19, 2011 04:33:12 pm
      He's an amazing talent. Like I've said a while back in this thread, at Werder he was phenomenal, but moved to the wrong team in Juventus, who at the time played what I saw as a really flat 4-4-2. He can really be a world beater as a passer in the right system. I'm not sure if we need another player at his position, but I wouldn't say no given what he can do in the right system.

Quick Reply