Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Diego (Wolfsburg)

Read 26111 times
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Re: Diego (Wolfsburg)
      Reply #138: Jun 30, 2011 12:29:06 pm
      I can't see this transfer happening at all especially with the news that Aqua's back for next season. I think we've got the strongest CM in terms of the quality and depth in the premiership right now.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #139: Jun 30, 2011 01:15:55 pm
      I can't see this transfer happening at all especially with the news that Aqua's back for next season. I think we've got the strongest CM in terms of the quality and depth in the premiership right now.

Diego is not a central midfielder ...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #140: Jun 30, 2011 03:25:01 pm
      If we are talking about wingers in the classic 4-4-2, then I agree ... However, if we talk about wide attacking players in the 4-2-3-1 or even the 4-3-3, Diego has the ability to be very effective there ... One important part of his game in the wide areas is the almost perfect diagonal cross into the box ... Players like Claudio Pizarro or Hugo Almeida have benefited hugely from those crosses ... Pretty much in the same way that Andy Carroll has benefited from the Joey Barton's diagonal crosses ...

Fair enough, but I think it's more the case of a central player who often goes out to provide those crosses... can't think of him wide for most of the game. He needs to be in the center of the action, get the ball, be involved to make a difference, or else he can be very frustrating as well.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #141: Jul 01, 2011 11:36:16 pm
      The Guardian tomorrow apparently says we've agreed a fee and he will be at Melwood in the coming days to sort out personal terms and a medical. The deal reportedly includes Jovanovic.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #142: Jul 01, 2011 11:37:40 pm
      The more rumours I hear, the more I want it to happen. World beater if he can get his head right.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #143: Jul 01, 2011 11:37:54 pm
      I don't generally trust newspapers but if they do print that, I may be inclined to believe it.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #144: Jul 02, 2011 01:41:29 am
      I'll be surprised if we take him. A little FSG history: The Red Sox owned Manny Ramirez through his peak years. A once-in-a-generation hitter. He performed extremely well for them for many years, but he was an absolute nutter. It reached a point where they were willing to give him away if someone would pay his $20M salary. I won't bore you with the rest...

So I find it difficult to believe Comolli will sit with John Henry and say "We need to sign Diego. He's very talented, but um, he's also out of his mind. But let's get him anyway." And JH ignoring his Ramirez experience and replying "Great, sign him up!"    

EDIT: I refer to his attitude based on other peoples opinions. I am not familiar with him myself.   
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2011 01:49:39 am by soxfan »
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #145: Jul 02, 2011 01:53:00 am
      Diego's temperament is nowhere as bad as Manny's was in his worst years.
      luckofirish8
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 454 posts | 20 
      Reply #146: Jul 02, 2011 01:55:22 am
      I'll be surprised if we take him. A little FSG history: The Red Sox owned Manny Ramirez through his peak years. A once-in-a-generation hitter. He performed extremely well for them for many years, but he was an absolute nutter. It reached a point where they were willing to give him away if someone would pay his $20M salary. I won't bore you with the rest...

So I find it difficult to believe Comolli will sit with John Henry and say "We need to sign Diego. He's very talented, but um, he's also out of his mind. But let's get him anyway." And JH ignoring his Ramirez experience and replying "Great, sign him up!"    

I think they could handle Diego, because of Manny.  LFC fans can adopt "Diego being Diego" just like the Red Sox with "Manny being Manny."  

In all seriousness, sometimes you have to take these risk. In the modern era, have the Red Sox won the title without Manny?  I know, they're in good shape this year...but that is a legitimate question?  I can't remember.  

I have no earthly idea what John Hnery or anyone else is thinking, but I would actually guess Manny being Manny would help Diego's case.  In some cases, you can look past crazy for something "special."  Even if you eventually get feed up.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #147: Jul 02, 2011 10:00:15 am
      I like this guy. He reminds a little of Joe Cole when he was fit and could actually play football. Personally i,d drop the Charlie Adam transfer and go for Diego.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #148: Jul 02, 2011 03:04:03 pm
      Wish we would stop the baseball team comparisons for fucks sake.
      uncleRico
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 287 posts |
      Reply #149: Jul 02, 2011 04:20:55 pm
      Personally I,d drop the Charlie Adam transfer and go for Diego.

Agreed. And if Jovanovic can be shipped off as part of the deal that would be fantastic. Sign Diego and tell Blackpool they can f*cking keep charlie adam.
      robbieisgod23/9
      Reply #150: Jul 02, 2011 04:22:18 pm
      id accept a tea lady coming over (with her own pot mind) in exchange for jovanovic
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #151: Jul 02, 2011 04:26:32 pm
      Get him signed up he looks class and in need of a club and fans that will love him ,kenny would be the perfect man manager for someone like diego.

Could be one of those signings like (dare i say it cantona)at scum that galvanises the club and proves to be inspirational,come on board get it done.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #152: Jul 02, 2011 05:12:55 pm
      Wish we would stop the baseball team comparisons for fucks sake.

Why, you hate the fact that we are the second wife ?
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #153: Jul 02, 2011 06:00:24 pm
      Was not a lover of this lad,but if Kenny can tame this lad he dose look a decent footballer,and for 10 million euro would not be a bad bit of business. 
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #154: Jul 03, 2011 01:18:43 am
      Diego took the ball from designated spot-kick taker Patrick Helmes and then hit the woodwork 10 minutes from time. Wolfsburg later lost the match by one goal and Wolfsburg's furious manager fined him €100,000 (£86,000) for failing to follow instructions. He was also informed that he will be removed from the first team for Wolfsburg’s upcoming game against Hamburg. He once again got in trouble with the management of Wolfsburg, when he on 14 May before a crucial relegation game against Hoffenheim left the hotel in which the team was staying, when he was informed he would not be starting the game. This left Wolfsburg with only 6 players on the bench for the game that would determine whether they would play another season in the German Bundesliga. Wolfsburg went on to win the game 3–1 without Diego ensuring another top flight season for the club, though Diego was fined €510,000 for his actions.

from wikipedia

doesn't sound like too big a deal to me looks like the manager over reacted initially after the penalty and diego had enough of him
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #155: Jul 03, 2011 01:24:18 am
      doesn't sound like too big a deal to me looks like the manager over reacted initially after the penalty and diego had enough of him
      [/quote]

Not an over reaction at all. Kenny would be fuming and i would like to think he would take a similar stance.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #156: Jul 03, 2011 01:30:06 am
      He is a top class player, signing him for 10 Million would be great and i believe Kenny would help him control his anger.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #157: Jul 03, 2011 01:57:37 am

Here is an interview he has made with ''The South American Football Show'' back in March ...

Liverpool target Diego happy at Wolfsburg

Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Two-time Copa America winner Diego of Brazil and Wolfsburg recently appeared on The South American Football Show in association with The Independent. Diego lifted the lid on his relationship with ex-Wolfsburg gaffer Steve McClaren, reacted to interest from Liverpool and gave his views on the upcoming Copa America...

Steve McClaren was sacked as your head coach at Wolfsburg last month, do you think the club made the right call?

I think Steve was a great coach, he is a great coach. The trouble was that the combination was not working here at Wolfsburg. We as players also have our responsibility for that. Now the club has moved on and I wish Steve all the best for his career because he is a very nice guy. The important thing for us to do now as a team is look forward. We need to keep working hard to produce performances on the pitch.

Steve McClaren was criticized during his time in charge of England for failing to get the best out of the talented players at his disposal. Do you think this is what happened at Wolfsburg?

Steve tried to do his best with the great team he had in his hands at Wolfsburg but the players must also take responsibility for the results as well. The team was working hard for Steve and personally I tried my best but this was not enough to get the results we needed. I don’t think the poor run of results was because of anything specific or because or any single individual.

Among your many fans all over the world is Liverpool Football Club’s Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli. Comolli seems very keen to bring you to Liverpool, is that a move that would interest you?

The English Premier League is fantastic and Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world so of course it’s a pleasure for me to hear things like that. However, I’m very happy at this moment to be here in Wolfsburg. I have a good contract and I feel very happy as a player. I feel comfortable here and I’m being given the confidence to play. The respect is there between the fans and me so everything is in place to turn things around here. I have too much respect for Wolfsburg as a club to let anything distract me at the moment. We have some very important games coming up and I’ll be doing everything I can to help the team win. At the end of the season maybe things will change but right now I’m 100 per cent concentrated on playing for Wolfsburg.

What is your opinion of the football that is played in England, do you think your style would suit the Premier League?

I’m still the number 10, I say still the number 10 because in modern football I don’t think it’s very easy to find players who play this position. I try to organise the play for the team and also do my best to stay close to the strikers as well as get amongst the goals myself. I always try to be an important part of the offensive system of the teams I play in. I don’t mind too much if that means scoring goals myself or creating assists for others.

I think in the English Premier League you have to be very strong, both mentally and physically. There is not much time to think because there is so little space on the pitch. The English Premier League is a great championship with lots of great teams and great players. The challenge is to be very quick and also very strong because your opponents are always close to you. I think this is the main difference between the English Premier League and the German Bundesliga.

You first broke through with Santos in Brazil as part of great team that featured yourself, Robinho, Elano and Alex. What is your opinion of the current Santos team? Until recently they had Robinho back there, Elano is playing there now and there’s the two young superstars of Neymar and Ganso. How good are these teenagers and what can Santos achieve with this team?

I think Neymar and Ganso are fantastic, they are both special talents for sure. They are both doing a good job developing with Santos. I think they both have a lot more work to do because they are very young but they are already great players and they will only improve in the future. Santos is a great club with great facilities for young players and this is helping them to form a strong team. I’m also happy to see Elano playing well and enjoying his football at Santos, a team that still has a special place in my heart. I’m hoping for a good year for Santos in Brazilian league and also in this current edition of the Copa Libertadores.

You’re still a young player yourself but you have already achieved many things and played with many famous clubs. What can you tell us about the good times with Werder Bremen?

Werder Bremen was perhaps the happiest time during my career as a footballer. I still have so much respect for Werder Bremen and the good job that we did together. As a club they gave me respect and a chance to play in a great team. We enjoyed so many great moments together and it remains the best period I have had in my career.

And what are your memories of the year you spent with Juventus?

More good memories. It was a difficult season for the team but for me it was a great experience. It was a pleasure to play there. Of course things could have turned out better, I tried to do my best but the team struggled to get the results we needed. A team like Juventus needs to be on top or otherwise the situation becomes unacceptable to the fans and that was what happened during my year there. Even though we had a lot of great players the results did not come and that’s why I decided to move. I enjoyed my time in Italy and it was a pleasure to play with a great club like Juventus.

In terms of the Brazilian national team, this year we have the Copa America in Argentina. You have played in the last two Copa America finals for Brazil and helped your country to beat Argentina on both occasions. Do you think you will make the squad and have the opportunity to do the same this year?

I think Argentina has a big chance to win this time but nothing is certain with the Copa America because it’s always such a tough competition. Brazil always brings a strong team and for sure they will have their sights on winning the cup as well. I think it will be between Argentina and Brazil to see who wins this year and maybe Argentina have a slightly better chance because they play at home.

I have not spoken with the Brazilian head coach Mano Menezes since he was appointed to the job last year. I heard that I might be in his plans through reading the newspapers but there has not yet been any direct communication with him. All I can do is try to improve my game, work hard here in Wolfsburg everyday and wait to get my chance with the Brazil team once again in the future.

Diego was speaking to Alejandro Pérez and Tim Sturtridge, hosts of The South American Football Show in association with The Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/liverpool-target-diego-happy-at-wolfsburg-2243567.html
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #158: Jul 03, 2011 02:02:34 am
      He is a top class player, signing him for 10 Million would be great and I believe Kenny would help him control his anger.
      Top post mate.What most people forget,is that we are a "special club".We are not Wolsfburg,Mancity,Chelsey.Players who come to our club,are ordinary,until they prove themselves,many g*bshites try,but few succeed.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #159: Jul 03, 2011 02:56:31 am
      Top post mate.What most people forget,is that we are a "special club".We are not Wolsfburg,Mancity,Chelsey.Players who come to our club,are ordinary,until they prove themselves,many g*bshites try,but few succeed.
      Well said ;)
      Devil Hunter
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts |
      Reply #160: Jul 31, 2011 06:18:17 pm
      Bundesliga - Diego keen on Atletico switch

Sun, 31 Jul 14:09:00 2011

Wolfsburg midfielder Diego is keen to complete his £8.8 million move to Atletico Madrid, according to the player's father.

Diego is looking for another move a year after arriving from Juventus after a disagreement with the Bundesliga club's management.

His father Djair Ribas da Cunha believes he will fit in well under Atletico manager Gregorio Manzano.

"The only thing left is for Wolfsburg and Atletico to reach an agreement," said the player's father and agent Da Cunha. "He really wants to sign for the Madrid club.

"Atletico will benefit from him a lot. He has quality and thinks he will fit in well to the system under Manzano.

"We have time until the end of August. We would like it to be soon, although that doesn't depend on us."

EuroSport

Damn, I thought he was tight lips about an Premier League club interested and they said he's close to sign for an English club at the time  ??? Well, still nothing concrete yet.

Quick Reply