Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Diego (Wolfsburg)

Read 26258 times
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Re: Diego (Wolfsburg)
      Reply #23: May 19, 2011 04:55:35 pm
      He didn't show up for a game recently after he was told he'd start on the bench didn't he? Not the kind of attitude I'd like to see at our club.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: May 19, 2011 05:46:46 pm
      I really like him as a player, think he was superb for Werder Bremen and was deserving of the price tag to Juve but they didn't use him well. I think he'd suit AC Milan much more than the more static style of Juve.

However I wouldn't say he'd be top of my list for players I want. Nothing wrong with his game, but just one of those gut feelings he wouldn't succeed at our club.

This. A player i've always liked watching, but not one i'd say is a shoe-in to succeed like i would others.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #25: May 19, 2011 10:35:32 pm
      He didn't show up for a game recently after he was told he'd start on the bench didn't he? Not the kind of attitude I'd like to see at our club.

Personally, I think that Kenny can handle him ... His character issues are the reason he is available for only €10 million ... In terms of talent and ability, he is easily a €20+ million player ...
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #26: May 19, 2011 10:53:52 pm
      No Thanks
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #27: May 19, 2011 10:57:25 pm
      Personally, I think that Kenny can handle him ... His character issues are the reason he is available for only €10 million ... In terms of talent and ability, he is easily a €20+ million player ...
      I don't think it's his character issues that make him that cheap, I think it's the fact that he hasn't performed for Wolfsburg or Juventus.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #28: May 19, 2011 10:59:10 pm
      I don't think it's his character issues that make him that cheap, I think it's the fact that he hasn't performed for Wolfsburg or Juventus.

Quote for Truth
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #29: May 19, 2011 11:03:31 pm

To be honest, he was the best player both on Juventus' and Wolsburg's struggling teams, during his stay there ... The problem was, they were struggling as teams, and in those situations, the most expensive signing is the first to blame ... There is no doubt about his footballing ability ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #30: May 20, 2011 03:53:06 am
      In my opinion you can easily overlook his stay at Juve. Which players have shone consistently in their midfield over the past couple seasons? Absolutely no one. Juve is a static team with a classic set up. No flamboyancy will shine in that side through the middle.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31: May 20, 2011 05:00:16 am
      Agreed. Remember how sh*te many of our players were under Woy? Similar lack of fluidity. Stifles creative players.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,396 posts | 3400 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #32: May 20, 2011 02:32:41 pm
      Good player but the old ego is a bit of a problem, just ask anyone at Wolfsburg, taking penalties when he shouldn't etc, going off in a strop when he was subbed against Werder. Juventus was a bit of a disaster in all, he just disappeared too often in big games.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2011 02:33:21 pm
      I wasn't saying he's a bad player, or even criticising him, I was only saying why I think his price has dropped. That said, indeed I'm not as convinced about him anymore as I used to be. I know he has ability, and while I've always believed he has the actual potential I'm not convinced he is world class. Say you'd put someone like Sneijder or Iniesta at Juventus and Wolfsburg, does anyone really think they wouldn't shine? But with him not showing up for their game recently, maybe his mentality is what's keeping him from being more than he is, which is more worrying than anything else.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: May 20, 2011 05:01:48 pm
      Thanks for the info Dexter. Not sure we need anyone with a weak mentality if that is the case. We need all our signings to work. The question is could we afford to take a gamble on a signing like this. Probably not. We need to sign players that are fighters and relentless. Sounds like Diego is not one of them
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #35: May 20, 2011 07:53:27 pm
      Not sure we need anyone with a weak mentality if that is the case. We need all our signings to work. The question is could we afford to take a gamble on a signing like this. Probably not. We need to sign players that are fighters and relentless. Sounds like Diego is not one of them
      Well, if we are implementing the MoneyBall principles, gambling on superbly talented players with character issues is obligatory ... Of course, these gambles might go both ways, but the reduced price of these players also reduces the risk ... At €10 million, Diego is a pretty good gamble, considering the he is immensely talented, and still only 26 ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #36: May 21, 2011 04:08:35 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: May 21, 2011 04:14:19 pm
      Well, if we are implementing the MoneyBall principles, gambling on superbly talented players with character issues is obligatory ... Of course, these gambles might go both ways, but the reduced price of these players also reduces the risk ... At €10 million, Diego is a pretty good gamble, considering the he is immensely talented, and still only 26 ...

I know what you're saying. The gamble is that as he is at a discount compared to his potential is it a risk worth taking.
      I still think that given the waste already lining our squad that the first few signings we secure should be nailed on first team players. If we are keeping Aquilani I don't see the point of signing Diego. If we sold Aquilani then fair enough maybe gamble the money on Diego and look at Kenny to use his man management skills to extract the potential from Diego.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #38: May 21, 2011 05:09:43 pm
      The only way I see us signing Diego is by selling Aquliani. Out of the 2 player I'd rather have Aquliani. Diego has more talent IMO but I feel his attitude let a him down.

Although if anyone can get the best out of Diego, then Dalglish can.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #39: May 21, 2011 05:22:42 pm
      The only way I see us signing Diego is by selling Aquliani.

Completely different types of players ...
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #40: May 21, 2011 05:27:43 pm
      Diego, would be such an un-needed signing, he doesn't play in a position that we need to strengthen in.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #41: May 21, 2011 05:29:10 pm
      Completely different types of players ...

Yeah but if you sign Diego, you push Gerrard into the middle. If we kept Aquliani, you push Gerrard further up the pitch.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #42: May 21, 2011 07:28:57 pm
      Talented player but completely the type of player we really are not looking for. 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #43: May 21, 2011 08:56:32 pm
      Talented player but completely the type of player we really are not looking for. 

You know what Kenny and Comolli are looking for ? Interesting ...
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #44: May 21, 2011 10:08:49 pm
      I don't see him as a player that would run through a brick wall for Kenny.  He has his good moments, but I think we can do better.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #45: May 22, 2011 12:36:17 am

Dalglish draws up three-man midfielder shortlist

Published 23:31 21/05/11

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish is targeting three players to fill his midfield for next season.

Dalglish has set his sights on Brazil international Diego, who plays for German club Wolfsburg and hot Wigan prospect James McCarthy.

The Merseysiders also have their eye on Writers’ Footballer of the Year Scott Parker, but seem destined to lose out to Tottenham in the race to sign the West Ham vice-captain.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-Transfer-news-Kenny-Dalglish-wants-Wolfsburg-Diego-Wigan-James-McCarthy-and-West-Ham-Scott-Parker-article738879.html

Quick Reply