Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Georginio Wijnaldum (Feyenoord)

Read 5496 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Georginio Wijnaldum (Feyenoord)
      Mar 02, 2011 03:46:04 pm
      Liverpool FC to make bid for Georginio Wijnaldum from Feyenoord?
      Feyenoord winger Georginio Wijnaldum is reportedly a summer transfer target for Liverpool

The 20-year-old, who can play either on the right wing or in a more central midfield position, has been monitored by a number of top clubs in recent months, with AC Milan and Real Madrid showing interest.

But according to insidefutbol.com, citing sources in the Netherlands, the midfielder has been watched by the Reds in Feyenoord's recent game against Heracles, with Liverpool scouts in attendance.

The Netherlands Under-21 international has been quoted as calling Liverpool forward Dirk Kuyt his role model and is potentially a perfect fit for the Merseysiders.

Believed to have plenty of potential and tipped by some to be a real star in years to come, Wijnaldum meets Liverpool's criteria for new players of being able to help lower the average age of the squad as well as having a re-sale value for when he moves on to another club at a later date.

Wijnaldum would also obviously strengthen Kenny Dalglish's squad and provide some much needed pace and width.

The link with Kuyt - himself a former Feyenoord player - will also be considered a benefit for the Reds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZSeI3pMUkao#at=216

Looks a fantastic prospect!! Has 1 and a half years left on his contract and we could get him for cheap. Dexter??
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Georginio Wijnaldum (Feyenoord)
      Reply #1: Mar 02, 2011 03:52:31 pm
      We've been linked with this lad before, maybe even end of last season?

Could this just be because he had an awesome performance recently? I'm sure he scored four goals in a game.

But looks a great prospect though, be happy to get him in if Kenny and Comolli think he can do the business.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #2: Mar 02, 2011 04:16:40 pm
      If you would've asked me 3 years ago, then I wouldve said yes without a doubt, he was the biggest talent in dutch football at that time. Since then though he hasn't fulfilled that promise, his development has been quite stagnant. However, that might not just be his fault, Feyenoord has undergone major changes these past few years. They've gone from a dutch top club to a lower league club. While 3 years ago they still had some good experienced players to carry the team, now young talented players like Wijnaldum are supposed to carry the team, which is too much to ask obviously. Players like Wijnaldum are supposed to learn from playing with older, better, stronger players. But right now besides Ron Vlaar, a 26 year old central defender, the best players of Feyenoord are Wijnaldum, Castaignos and Fer, players who are 20, 18, and 21 years old. Obviously that's not good for their development. But then again, he's just 20 years old and already played a 100 dutch league games.

Looking at his current qualities he's best played on the right wing right now, though he could play on the left aswell but hasn't played there often. Don't think he should play in the center (yet), but that's mostly because I think he's just still really inconsistent. His right and left foot are about equally as good. Because there's been so many changes at Feyenoord and bad results, he's been played in many different positions aswell, which obviously hasn't helped him. He lacks end product, whether that be finishing or passing/crossing. He still really shows his age, he's a bit wild, he shows moments of potential, but lacks composure, focus, consistency. He is from the Dutch school however, a street football player, so he's a very technical player, good at taking on a player, and he's quite fast aswell. Besides that he's a really good kid, down to earth.

And he did score 4 goals last weekend in a game. But only one was a good goal, another was a lucky rebound, the other 2 penalties.

I would probably consider him for a decent price as back up right winger. He does have the potential, but I'm not convinced it'll come out. I do think he should be available at a cut price this summer, Feyenoord are in debt and are looking to sell players and Wijnaldum isn't going to extend his contract. Looking at the 4 million euros that Inter are paying for Castaignos, albeit under different circumstances, I'd say Wijnaldum is probably available for 5-7 million pounds.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2011 04:55:06 pm by Dexter »
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #3: Mar 02, 2011 04:55:57 pm
      Was about to call for you Dex but I see you've got here already :D.

Wijnaldum is a name I'm familiar with, despite not knowing how to pronounce it, and I like his natural talent and ability but as you say Dex he's inconsistent and who's to say he'd cut in the Premiership.

Perhaps good young backup similar to what Nani was when he arrived at Old Toilet.

How much do you think Feyenoord would want Dex?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4: Mar 02, 2011 05:22:30 pm
      georginio wijnaldum: 10 things you need to know

1) Georginio Wijnaldum was born on November 11th 1990, making him a ripe 20-years-old. He was born in Rotterdam, Holland famous for a huge port and being the birthplace on Robin Van Persie.

2) As a youngster Wijnaldum wasn't interested in football; he had his sights set on becoming an acrobat or gymnast. It was only when his cousin asked him to go to an open day at Sparta Rotterdam did the young Georginio gain an interest in the sport.

3) Once known as Georgini Boateng, he took his mother's maiden name after his parent's divorce. The Wijnaldum family is a talented bunch, younger brother Giliano is in the reserve team at AZ.

4) Having always kept his distance from watching football on television, when Georginio was approached by rival clubs as a youth player he didn't want to move as he didn't know any of the players, saying he only really recognised the national team players.

5) He stayed at Sparta Rotterdam for seven seasons at youth level and represented the Netherlands national side from under-17 level. In 2004 he joined Feyenoord as a youth player, but by 2007 he was in the first team, making his debut in April 2007 in a match against FC Groningen at the age of 16.

6) He became Feyenoord's youngest first-team player, and youngest goal-scorer in a match against Heracles Almelo. In September 2008 Wijnaldem made his European debut in an UEFA Cup match against Kalmar FF.

7) Playing as an attacking midfielder he is known for his great goal scoring ability. Two-footed, classic 'number ten' springs to mind when thinking about the right sided player. His vision and skill have drawn comparisons to the current King of Spurs Rafael Van Der Vaart.

8 ) His contract runs until next summer and he currently valued at around £5million with eight goals in 25 games in the Eredivisie this season.

9) Feyenoord are 13th in the Dutch league and didn't make it past the qualifying rounds for the Europa league. Interest has come from all over Europe, including the heightened interest from Liverpool, Real Madrid, Chelsea and AC Milan.

10) Wijnaldum cites former Feyenoord and now Liverpool player Dirk Kuyt as a role model. Could he be looking to emulate his idol, watch this space.....

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/2011-03-02/liverpool-transfer-target-georginio-wijnaldum-10-things-you-need-know
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #5: Mar 02, 2011 05:51:35 pm

7) Playing as an attacking midfielder he is known for his great goal scoring ability. Two-footed, classic 'number ten' springs to mind when thinking about the right sided player. His vision and skill have drawn comparisons to the current King of Spurs Rafael Van Der Vaart.
      Wish I could agree with this, but I don't. 17 goals in 102 games doesn't show a great goal scoring ability in the dutch league, I'd say productivity is something he has lacked even. He's not a classic number 10 either, certainly not in the mould of Van der Vaart. He's more in the mould of Afellay, he likes to run with the ball and dribble. Thus far Wijnaldum hasn't really showed any real playmaker skills either. He might develop better passing and vision in the future, but untill then he's more effective on the wing.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #6: Mar 02, 2011 06:06:00 pm
      Wish I could agree with this, but I don't. 17 goals in 102 games doesn't show a great goal scoring ability in the dutch league, I'd say productivity is something he has lacked even. He's not a classic number 10 either, certainly not in the mould of Van der Vaart. He's more in the mould of Afellay, he likes to run with the ball and dribble. Thus far Wijnaldum hasn't really showed any real playmaker skills either. He might develop better passing and vision in the future, but untill then he's more effective on the wing.

I've got to say that number 10 is a bit iffy as well:

10) Wijnaldum cites former Feyenoord and now Liverpool player Dirk Kuyt as a role model. Could he be looking to emulate his idol, watch this space.....

If he wants to emulate his role model do we really need another headless chicken running around like a mad man giving the ball away?
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #7: Mar 02, 2011 08:22:58 pm
      The fact I like most at him is his ambidextrous nature- he can play equally well with both feet. But I have two other questions for you, Dexter:
      1) Would you get him for 5M pounds (as a back-up winger), do you think he's worthy that ,more or less? and
      2) Does he have the potential Babel had at his age?!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #8: Mar 02, 2011 08:31:50 pm
      1) I probably would, depending ofcourse on the other options that are out there for that price. And I think he's worth a bit more, even if I have doubts about him.
      2) I never rated Babel much before he went to us (or after), so I might not be the right person to ask that. But Wijnaldum should be a much safer bet simply because he isn't that one dimensional.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #9: Mar 02, 2011 09:40:05 pm
      For starters, thanks Dexter for your informitive info once again. Nice one mate.

Secondly I don't believe a word of that newspaper article because no where does it mention that 'Arry and Tottenham are looking at the player.  :P
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Mar 03, 2011 01:01:57 am
      [/quote]

Bit of a contradiction no? Classic number ten's play traditionally through the middle, not on the right.

Anyways, this:

Secondly I don't believe a word of that newspaper article because no where does it mention that 'Arry and Tottenham are looking at the player.  :P

:D

Quick Reply